Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231574 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just catching up and there are some real classics on there like sonic and crash. Great list so far!

Offline Outcrier

17. Final Fantasy X (2001)

The CTB (Conditional Turn Based) battle system.

Final Fantasy X was released in 2001 for the Playstation 2, a time where i was still playing Sega Genesis and Playstation games.
Near a decade later, me, late to the party again, finally got a PS2 and FFX here was the first RPG i experienced from that generation.
First thing i noticed: Voice acting in my Final Fantasy, finally! Lots of people complain about Tidus whiny voice and some bad acting, noticeably in a certain cringe worthy moment but, due to being the first time a FF featured voices, i didn't mind and thought it wasn't so bad.
FFX introduced some other things, one of them being my favorite leveling system in the series, the Sphere Grid.
When you level up, you gain Sphere LVLs, which you can use to move through this huge grid and access "orbs" that increase your stats. Each characters start in special portions that corresponds to their class but, later in the game, you may use special spheres that can make you warp to where you want or open locked areas. Believe me, it's fucking addictive.
This time around, Nobuo Uematsu composed the music with the assistance of Masashi Hamauzu and Junya Nakano.
While not as good as previous soundtracks, they didn't disappoint and create, yet, another great FF OST, easily in my top 5 of the series.
Some downsides are the lack of a proper world map and the linearity but, in this case, the focused story more than make up for it.

16. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2003)

Parkour in gaming before it was cool.

A couple years ago, i remember borrowing some PS2 games from a friend and, along them, there was a game i never heard about called: "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time". First, i was skeptical since i knew the earlier PoP games and it was a dead franchise by now but, whatever, i ended up trying.
Some seconds into the game, the tutorial "told me" to run through the wall. I did it and i remember thinking: "holy shit, this is fuckin' awesome". Then i continued and after passing per some obstacles, déjà vu hit me: The gameplay felt really similar to another game i loved, Heart of Darkness, in a sense of the focus being into how to progress through the levels rather than confronting enemies, all expanded in a 3D adventure game.
What i mean is, even though you face enemies, the point of the game is figuring how to traverse the areas you are be using walls, pillars, bars and everything to your advantage.
The title is a reference to a special dagger that you get early into the game, which contains the Sands of Time. You can use it to rewind time in case you die, miss a jump or whatever, another awesome mechanic. Obviously, it has limited uses but you can recharge often.
It saddens me that, with Assassin's Creed as his spiritual successor, Prince of Persia kinda got forgotten and may never get another entry anymore.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:42:08 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
I played the shit out of FFX - the battle system still remains my favorite.  :metal Unlike some people, I do really like the story. Though maybe not the voice acting AT ALL. I mean, most are all right to bad-ass (Auron, FUCK YEAH) but the two lead characters...EEESH!  :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Outcrier

Just catching up and there are some real classics on there like sonic and crash. Great list so far!

Thanks, i'm not finished with these.

I played the shit out of FFX - the battle system still remains my favorite.  :metal Unlike some people, I do really like the story. Though maybe not the voice acting AT ALL. I mean, most are all right to bad-ass (Auron, FUCK YEAH) but the two lead characters...EEESH!  :lol

I like the battle system, reminds me of Breath of Fire IV a bit since you can have all the characters and change them at will. But, while i appreciate not having to select some party members and leave the others levels behind, it bores me having to use all of them so no one leaves without any AP.

Story and characters are fine, i didn't mention them because most know it by now.
Tidus and Yuna... I kinda got used to these two. The rest of the cast made them more bearable i guess (by the way, Auron always was my favorite. What a badass :hat).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:29:55 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo

:metal

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Noice update there, OC

Offline Outcrier

15. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (1998)

Shit just got real.

The last Crash Bandicoot entry on my list, Warped is the one to rule them all.
Everything that was good about the series is perfected and expanded, in ways that it kinda separates Warped from his predecessors. There are various new ideas implemented. To say a few, you pilot a jet ski, ride a tiger, drive planes, motorcycles and all through new level settings such as the Great Wall of China, old highways, the skies... You also explore different eras: Prehistoric, Medieval and the Future, per example.
Two other big additions is the gain of power-ups after defeating a boss, from double jump and holding a button to run faster to a priceless Wumpa Fruit Bazooka and a feature that enhanced the replay value, the Time Trial, where you have to complete the stages as fast as you can to gain relics, which are divided into Sapphire, the easiest one to get, Gold and Platinum, the hardest.
Even though Crash is dead nowadays (:'(), Warped will be remembered as one of the greatest platformers ever.

14. Final Fantasy IX (2000)

Prepare to die again...

At the end of the PSX lifespan came the last Final Fantasy from that generation, Final Fantasy IX. It presented a different approach than VII and VIII. Instead of realism and hi-tech shit, IX goes back to the fantasy. Everything, from the art to the designs invoke the old traditional FFs and the game, while having some mature themes, doesn't take itself so serious (Square even used the chibi design on the characters to match the lighthearted tone).
Unlike VIII, most main characters belong to different races so, they easily stands from each other.
Some of them, like Zidane, Steiner and Vivi, are new designs of the original FF classes (in this case, thief, knight and black mage) but with a personality of their own, making them unique.
While the story sort of gets less interesting Disc 3 onward, my favorite FF sidequest compensates that: "Chocobo Hot and Cold", a treasure hunt all over the world. Simply fun and rewarding.

Some say IX is the last great Final Fantasy and, while i don't agree with them, i can understand why they think so.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:21:52 AM by Outcrier »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Had a lot of fun with Crash Bandicoot 3.

Offline Outcrier

We all had:

Damn, right in the feels  :'(
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:40:32 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Outcrier

Sorry guys, got a bit occupied this week.

13. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (2004)

Taking a short cut.

Set seven years after the events of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, the Prince finds himself constantly hunted by a terrible beast known as the Dahaka. The Prince seeks counsel from an old wise man who explains that whoever releases The Sands of Time must die. Because the Prince escaped his fate, it is the Dahaka's mission as guardian of the Timeline to ensure that he dies as he was meant to. The old man also tells of the Island of Time, where the Empress of Time first created the Sands. The Prince sets sail for the Island in an attempt to prevent the Sands from ever being created, an act he believes will appease the Dahaka.

The black sheep of the Prince of Persia trilogy, Warrior Within is where all went wrong for most fans. Not for me.
The game is set in a large fortress within the Island of Time. Instead of levels, the "world" is pretty much connected, kinda like in a Metroidvania vein since you have to do some backtracking and revisiting. There is various portals scattered around that can be used to go back into the past/present, allowing you to visit the same place in a different timeline. I think this is very cool because, even if it's the same place, there is always lots of differences between them, leading to new paths.
Though the story is filled with conveniences, the past/future thing allows for some interesting twists to happen, like the Prince interacting with his own past self later in the game.
Contrary to Sands of Time, Warrior Within presents a dark tone, which kinda fits the Prince's situation (trying to escape his fated death). To match the change, the soundtrack features heavy metal a lot, enjoyable but not anything special. Also, the difficulty is considerably harder than SoT, both platform and combat wise. At least, the combat shows a huge improvement. Now, there's lots of combos, you can use the environments to your advantage, the weapons dropped by dead enemies can be temporarily used and some other things.
While many hated the game, i personally liked what was added and changed in relation to Sands of Time, surpassing it in my eyes.

12. Super Metroid (1994)

Metroid, Super Metroid.

...the "world" is pretty much connected, kinda like in a Metroidvania vein since you have to do some backtracking and revisiting.

Talking about the devil...

Super Metroid is another one of these games who are frequently cited in greatest games of all times lists and for many reasons.
First, exploration. While wandering through the areas, you find many places where you can't go. Later, with the use of new abilities/items, you can backtrack and access them. Nowadays, games who play like this are called Metroidvania. Sure, it wasn't the first to do this but Super Metroid perfected that.
Complementing the exploration, there is the amazing atmosphere/ambience, a realm which Super Metroid exceeds. While playing, you really feel alone, exploring an alien world without even imagining what's gonna happen next.
Besides the environments and graphics, the use of sounds are a big part of what makes the atmosphere what it is. I love when you know that shit gonna hit the fan just by the unsettling music.
The presentation is pretty interesting since all that happens is "told" without a single word, in a way the player must figure some things out and others are open to interpretation.
Frankly, i find pretty astounding that people made a game like Super Metroid using the limited SNES hardware because it is a monster of an achievement.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:13:23 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
There was an article in a swedish gaming magazine about the level layout of Super Metroid and why it's so awesome. It went really into detail, giving plenty of examples of excellent stage design.

And that is really what it comes down to, if you ask me. Not the amazing, creepy atmospheric music, excellent graphics or rad powerups. The levels just have that clever design that made it almost impossible to stop. And to think that it was one of the first games with that gameplay style is just astonishing to me.

Offline Outcrier

Yeah, i think the Metroidvania style is a excellent point of start but how the developers incorporated the rest into the game elevated it even more.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Finally, a game I've played! Super Metroid is definately my favorite of the 2D Metroids, though I prefer the first two Prime installments (especially the first) to it.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
played Super Metroid for the first time myself recently. I appreciate that it basically set the standard for metroidvanias and it's a good game for sure but had a lot of artifacts of the retro age that remain foreign to me, i wasn't blown away by it
but i have no nostalgia for it so that could be a part of it, I still love games I have nostalgia for even when I can notice their blatant flaws

Offline Outcrier

Finally, a game I've played! Super Metroid is definately my favorite of the 2D Metroids, though I prefer the first two Prime installments (especially the first) to it.

Well, the list isn't over ;)

played Super Metroid for the first time myself recently. I appreciate that it basically set the standard for metroidvanias and it's a good game for sure but had a lot of artifacts of the retro age that remain foreign to me, i wasn't blown away by it
but i have no nostalgia for it so that could be a part of it, I still love games I have nostalgia for even when I can notice their blatant flaws

Me too but, personally, it wasn't the case with Super Metroid (which i played for the first time during the PS2 generation).

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I'd been playing the Metroid series chronologically, but my Wiimote broke down so I couldn't finish Prime 3. But liked the first one (zero mission remake) and loved Prime 2: Echoes :heart .

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I grew up in the 80s playing and loving the first Metroid, so I already had nostalgia as a young lad seeing Super Metroid in 1994 in Toys R Us. Something about seeing Zebes in 16-bit, and seeing spots that were straight out of the first game really hit me when I played through it. An absolute masterpiece. One of the finest SNES game there is, probably second to only Mega Man X IMO.

On that note, I used to think the NES was the pinnacle, but the more and more I play through some of the SNES classics I didnt have growing up, the more I see how great of a system it was. The NES has it's great games too, but comparatively the same series of games are usually better on SNES. Super Metroid > Metroid. Mega Man X1-3 > Mega Man 1-6. Final Fantasy 4-6 > FF 1-3. Not to mention new games/series like Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, etc... great system just for RPGs alone.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I played Super Metroid once last year I think, and it was a pretty good game, and clearly an influential game. Didn't find it super exciting though. No nostalgia factor to help it there like many of my other favourites from the era, and I'm not often into the shooty platformers.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
I grew up in the 80s playing and loving the first Metroid, so I already had nostalgia as a young lad seeing Super Metroid in 1994 in Toys R Us. Something about seeing Zebes in 16-bit, and seeing spots that were straight out of the first game really hit me when I played through it. An absolute masterpiece. One of the finest SNES game there is, probably second to only Mega Man X IMO.

On that note, I used to think the NES was the pinnacle, but the more and more I play through some of the SNES classics I didnt have growing up, the more I see how great of a system it was. The NES has it's great games too, but comparatively the same series of games are usually better on SNES. Super Metroid > Metroid. Mega Man X1-3 > Mega Man 1-6. Final Fantasy 4-6 > FF 1-3. Not to mention new games/series like Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, etc... great system just for RPGs alone.
Yeah, I've always been of the opinion that the SNES was the very best 2D console, the peak of that era, before 3D made its debut. And Super Metroid certainly adds to that.  :tup

Offline Outcrier

SNES certainly has more great games than the NES.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
I'm sort of surprised I'm not following this thread.

Okami is an amazing game on every level.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Outcrier

Well, the thread was just revived some weeks ago.

As for Okami, i seriously need to replay it.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Well, the thread was just revived some weeks ago.

As for Okami, i seriously need to replay it.
Me too! I need to get myself a copy of that shit!  :metal

Offline Outcrier

Entering the top 10:

11. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)

The consequences of being wanted.

Compared to what have appeared in this list so far, a racing game seems quite peculiar since i'm not so found of them but, this one is the exception.
Most Wanted, at least for me, stands as the pinnacle of the Need for Speed series. Sure, the Underground iterations were good but this took everything to another level.
The plot follows a a illegal street racer who arrives into Rockport City and get tricked by a group of racers, losing his drive. After this, the same group of racers reach the top of the Blacklist and you have no other option than climbing up through it to get your sweet revenge and become the most wanted in the process. 
The Blacklist is a list (you don't say) of the 15 most wanted racers by the Rockport PD. To be able to face a member and take his place, you have to win races and have as many bounty points as required. To get those, you need to complete some challenges, which involves my favorite thing about the game, the police chases.
At the beginning, the cops are a joke but, as you progress and the heat level increases, they get better cars and become more intelligent and ruthless.
By reaching the highest heat levels, things get pretty intense, especially with the need of evading the pursuit to complete the challenges while the cops keeps throwing reinforcements, helicopters and the rage quit inducing spike trips at you. Fuck them  >:(
Great campaign aside, the game has a good lifespan as you can make/tune lots of different cars, free roam through the memorable Rockport City or play other modes like The Challenge Series, which are quite challenging (duh :loser:).

A must for any racing fan. Still, i think Most Wanted is so good it can be appreciated even by people who aren't much into the genre.

10. Half-Life 2 (2004)

Getting by with a little help from my friends.

Yep, like many in this thread, i'm another one who loves Half-Life 2.
HL2 was one of the very first games i've played which featured next-gen graphics (for the time). I remember how beautiful it was the first time you step into the streets of City 17... what an evolution compared to the original HL. Good that, the graphics were only part of the equation.
Half-Life is a franchise that goes way back to a time were first person shooters had a focus into the single player campaign. And what a fantastic campaign HL2 has. From escaping of a dystopian city or going through his canals with a hovercraft to raiding a former prison with the help of antlions, it's all so damn memorable.
But, if i have to pick my favorite segment, it's gotta be Ravenholm, where the game kinda turns, temporally, into a survival horror. Visiting a creepy town infested with zombies and traps at night was quite unexpected to say the least, in a really good way.
Joining the Crowbar, the franchise got a new iconic weapon, the Gravity Gun, simply one of the most awesome weapons i've ever used in a game. You can pick every object and use them anyway you want, either be helping you progress through the level or as "ammo". 
While Valve can't count to three, Half-Life 2 shows they certainly know how to make a sequel.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:50:40 AM by Outcrier »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
HL2!!!  :metal :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
NFS:MW, had lots of fun with it :metal . Couldn't finish it 'cause the last races were fucking difficult, but never got bored of it. So sad the remake is awful.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I love HL2, I need to find the time to replay it again.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Absolutely LOVE half life 2.

2nd favorite game ever made, behind FF 7

Offline Outcrier

NFS:MW, had lots of fun with it :metal . Couldn't finish it 'cause the last races were fucking difficult, but never got bored of it. So sad the remake is awful.

Really? I thought the hardest part of the campaign was the final cop challenges.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
HL2 only at 10?

Offline Outcrier

Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Outcrier's fav games and whatever (pg. 25)
« Reply #905 on: February 02, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »
9. God of War (2005)

Ares sending Kratos his regards.

The game that was so successful it made Kratos canon to the Greek Mythology ;D
God of War is a mixture of hack and slash, platforming and puzzle solving game that tells the epic story of the deeply tormented warrior Kratos, who is ordered by the gods to kill Ares, the God of War himself, as means to be forgiven for killing his family.
I must say the story and how everything is presented is miles ahead of most action games at the time, very cinematic and epic in scope. 
Like the story, everything in the game feels epic, from combat to going through the locations (like in that image, where you can see the gigantic Ares from far away).
As for Kratos, i'm fine with him. While he have some haters, the "always pissed off" attitude fits the game violence. That plus his design and the badass voice acting make for a iconic character.
Not hard has Ninja Gaiden nor complicated when it comes to combat as some similar games, God of War has a nice balance between all these aspects, making it accesible to either the casual or hardcore gamer. 
Repetition is avoided by the platform and puzzle sections, which are very well done, especially the ones from Pandora's Temple, a place where i really felt i was making progress thanks to the great level design.
God of War, unlike most hack and slash games, managed to nail pretty much everything instead of only gameplay, standing out high and shoulders above them.

8. Sonic & Knuckles (1994)

Yeah, i think S3+K is the best too but that is something i will talk about later in this list.

Finally, we reach my favorite Sonic game.

Sonic & Knuckles is the sequel to Sonic 3. Originally, these two games were supposed to be only one but Sega ended up separating them to avoid delays and some other stuff.
Thing is, even separated, i think both are great games in their own rights, with S&K taking the upper hand mostly because it has the best level designs and music in the series imo.
Also, going into some more details, i love how it has this dark and sad tone going on after you reach Lava Reef, something pretty unique to the series and that definitely made it stand out for me (fitting music as well) plus the more epic finale to a Sonic game ever, The Doomsday Zone :metal
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:47:16 PM by Outcrier »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Outcrier's fav games and whatever (pg. 25)
« Reply #906 on: February 02, 2015, 09:52:45 PM »
I do prefer S&K to S3 overall, especially those first 3 zones, but as individual games, I do prefer S1 and especially S2. When counted as one game it's more of a contest (and I generally count them as one), but I still find some of the level design cheap in later levels, and the music is more consistent in the earlier games thanks to having the one great composer.

But there's a Sonic game on your list, and not another modern game that all looks the same to me, so I give you a thumbs up. :lol :tup

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #907 on: February 02, 2015, 10:07:29 PM »
I do prefer S&K to S3 overall, especially those first 3 zones, but as individual games, I do prefer S1 and especially S2. When counted as one game it's more of a contest (and I generally count them as one), but I still find some of the level design cheap in later levels, and the music is more consistent in the earlier games thanks to having the one great composer.

Well, music is a thing i can't complain about the old Sonic games (even Sonic 3D Blast has awesome VG music such as Volcano Valley Act 2).

But there's a Sonic game on your list, and not another modern game that all looks the same to me, so I give you a thumbs up. :lol :tup
Shots fired, huh?  :lol

By the way, that recreated S&K video you made is the most amazing Sonic related thing i saw since ages... Sonic Generations doesn't hold a candle  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:31:26 PM by Outcrier »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: February 02, 2015, 10:22:42 PM »
Shots fired, huh?  :lol

Oh I didn't mean that as a dig in any way, I'm just admitting to my total ignorance of modern gaming. :lol I've played a lot of the modern games, but I'm very oldschool in what appeals to me.

Sonic 3D Blast had some great music as well. Can't remember specific levels, as I've only played it through once. As far as the classic 2D games go, I'm kinda splitting hairs here.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #909 on: February 03, 2015, 12:10:44 AM »
Love the God of War games!