Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231478 times)

Offline Outcrier

No problem. If you feel you won't have the time to do it, you can just pass it to jingle boy or myself since jingle boy isn't active since December.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:53:57 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I know it's gonna be a (very) long wait, but I'd love to get on the list for this if I could.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Or you know, let me jump ahead of everybody else. :neverusethis:
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
How about the first person to post a start to a list gets to go?  This is kind of ridiculous.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I do it if I wasn't going to Costa Rica in a week and a half

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
I would do it, but I have not finished my write-ups yet.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Maybe I'll write up something when I get home, if someone haven't beat me to the punch by then. :)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I could borrow a PC from the school, but just for a while before they close, so it would be too complicated for me, cause I want to take time making the write-ups and designing the posts. Outcrier, you can begin now.

Offline Outcrier

Ok, i will start it soon  :tup

Offline Outcrier

Ok guys, here comes The Golden Age:

25. QuackShot starring Donald Duck (1991)

Damn creative, huh?

An overlooked Sega Genesis gem, QuackShot is a Donald Duck sidescroller that only i played. Jokes aside, this isn't a case of personal guilty pleasure.
Story? Pretty basic: Donald goes on a journey in search of an hidden treasure. Graphics and music, pretty nice. What really makes this game standout, though, is that isn't just a simple sidescroller. It features nonlinearity and the need of specific items, which means you have to revisit some places again with your new weapon upgrades or key items so you can make progress. Even your own weapon, a gun that shoot plungers (yeah :lol), can be used as platform later as you get an upgrade that makes them stick on the wall.
So, basically, QuackShot is like a Metroidvania with levels, featuring Donald Duck. Priceless.

24. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (1997)

Jet pack, bitches.

While the original Crash Bandicoot was a good game imo, the sequel was a huge improvement. The controls, one of the things who dragged down the first game, feels much more responsible and better overall, new moves such as crouch and belly flop, even greater graphics and attention to details, Crash don't look as goofy as before, optional level paths and, well, everything just seems more polished. Another nice addition was the Warp Room, which opened more possibilities such as doing the levels in any order you want and new thematic stages (space and sewers, to say a few). 
Yeah, it isn't nearly difficult as it's predecessor (especially to fully complete) but, for me, isn't only difficulty that makes a game. In this case, i think it made Crash even more acessible and enjoyable than before. 
Congrats, Naughty Dog, that's how you make a sequel :clap:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:54:00 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Ah, fond memories of the Bandicoot series.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Hell yes Crash 2. Awesome game!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Two solid choices.  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
A good ole Crash Bandicoot, I dont recall playing the second, only the first.

And I recall playing a Donald Duck game when I was younger, but can't recall if that was it.  I would have never remembered that if you didnt post that game as it triggered a really old childhood memory.  It was definitely a Sega game too so maybe that was it.

Offline Outcrier

And I recall playing a Donald Duck game when I was younger, but can't recall if that was it.  I would have never remembered that if you didnt post that game as it triggered a really old childhood memory.  It was definitely a Sega game too so maybe that was it.

If not this QuackShot, probably Donald in Maui Mallard.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

This one actually was awesome, in my opinion.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Off to a rollicking good start out the gate.

Offline Outcrier

Ah, the version title can be something like this: Outcrier's Golden Age (since most of the games on my list are from what i think is the golden age of gaming).

This one actually was awesome, in my opinion.

I played a bit of Maiu Mallard back in the day but never got too far into that game (probably couldn't pass some section).

Two solid choices.  :tup
Off to a rollicking good start out the gate.

Tnx, it gets even better or no

23. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994)

The one and only Barrel of Doom.

Back in the day, Sonic was the first game franchise that i adored. That strange mix of platformer and going fast instantly captivated me and Sega couldn't do no wrong when it came to main Sonic titles from that era. Looking now, i think that Sega always improved them with each new iteration and that's why Sonic 3 always was one of my favorites.
For starters, the levels are much larger and detailed than ever. You may cross lots of hidden passages and replaybility is secured due to the many different paths you can finish the levels. There is a new "minigame" where you catch a certain amount of blue spheres while avoiding the red ones, all in order to get the Chaos Emeralds (which, when reunited, can transform you into Super Sonic). Also, you have a new upgrades in form of shields that can protect you against things such as fire and water, sub-bosses, the best Sonic storyline, Knuckles introduction, yeah, lots of new stuff added overall.
Last but not least, the music. Like any early Sonic game, the soundtrack has some of the best music Genesis has to offer.
You have the famous Ice Cap, some downright freakin cool tunes such as Hidrocity and Marble Garden and even some little contributions by Michael Jackson himself  :hat

Fun fact: This game is one year younger than me. I'm getting old  :blush

22. Dark Souls II (2014)

Approaching Castlevania.

After finally experiencing Dark Souls last year, i understood the praise it garnered. Games that dare to present something different than the casualized, hand-holding gameplay you often see today are quite rare. That and the fact of being a fucking great game made my a fan of the series.
Thing is, the PC version had a major problem: how much poor the PC port was handled. I run into nuisances such as FPS drops, screen tearing and even had to download a unnoficial fix to be able to change the resolution. Fortunately, not much time after i finished DS, the sequel was released and, finally, everything was in it's right place.
For me, Dark Souls II felt like an extension to DS. Sure, it isn't as memorable but compensates that by featuring good optimization and no big nuisances. Even so, i don't think it is so far away of being as good as the first DS (these improvements in performance actually made me enjoy playing it even more than before).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:28:26 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Of the Souls series, I have only played Demon's Souls. Love this series.  :tup
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
S3 alone would be my least favourite of the classic Sonics (but I love them all!), with the as originally intended S3+K being a better more rounded package. Still, I found the level design a bit cheap (spikes etc) compared to the earlier games. I consider S3+K to be the most technically impressive game in the series, and objectively the "best", but S2 will always be my personal favourite. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Outcrier

Wish i could play it but it's a PS3 exclusive :-\

S3 alone would be my least favourite of the classic Sonics (but I love them all!), with the as originally intended S3+K being a better more rounded package. Still, I found the level design a bit cheap (spikes etc) compared to the earlier games. I consider S3+K to be the most technically impressive game in the series, and objectively the "best", but S2 will always be my personal favourite. :tup

Yeah, i think S3+K is the best too but that is something i will talk about later in this list.

Offline j

Wish i could play it but it's a PS3 exclusive :-\

Demon's Souls is great but both Dark Souls games are far superior IMO.  The atmosphere and environments are awesome and there are some things to like about some of the gameplay elements, but there are quite a few issues that were corrected in the sequels.  I don't have time to play too many video games anymore, but these games are some of the best I've played in years.

-J

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Sonic 2 and 3 are so fuckin choice. My fondest memories of 3 are getting the dirt cheap Genesis 3 for the low, low price of $30 (brand new!) back in 1999, buying this game to go with it, and playing it shitfaced off of Bud Ice since I'd usually get a 12er on payday but since I was 17 I had to drink as much as I could or else I'd have to drink the rest warm because at that age there was no way in hell I could get away with keeping it in the fridge so the leftovers would be kept under my bed.

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Sonic 2 is my favourite but any Sonic is good Sonic he's so effing kewl.  That Dark Souls looks awesome tho.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
If I could only play five games the rest of my life, there is a possibility that Demon Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 are all on that list.  Not saying they would all make my top 5, but there is a lot of content and replayability in them.

Offline Outcrier

This time, some "cult" classics:

21. Okami (2006)

Makes for some nice wallpapers.

Like ICO and Shadow of Colossus before it, Okami was a pleasant surprise for gamers that loved art and visual styles. It utilizes something similar to the japanese watercolor paintings, translated to game through cel-shading. It's simply the most unique PS2 graphics i've ever seen, transcendental.
The story borrows from Japanese folklore. Basically, you control Amaterasu, a god in the form of a wolf that is called to save Japan from the darkness brought by Orochi, a legendary eight headed serpent. While a basic premise, it soon turns into an epic journey across the world in where you meet many other myths and legends.
The game plays pretty similarly to a series that always was a reference: the Zelda series. You travel around the world, get clues talking to folks, clear dungeons... sounds familiar, eh? But, to differentiate, you have the unique Celestial Brush mechanic, where you stop time by holding the shoulder button to paint symbols onto the screen, each one representing a move. There are tons of symbols you learn during your journey that you can use in the environment and in battle, some of the most simple being a straight line that cut things and drawing a Q, which creates a bomb. Also, notice how this mechanic complements the "painting" visuals of the game.
Music is classical Japanese done with traditional instruments, very fitting though i'm no expert.
As a whole, i think Okami excels at every department. From story to music, everything perfectly complements each other so well, making for a unforgettable experience.

20. Xenogears (1998)

This is what i call a "tight" battle.

Xenogears is the first entry in the Xeno series, which spawned games such as Xenosaga and, more recently, Xenoblade Chronicles.
It started as a potential script to Final Fantasy 7 but Square refused, claiming the story was too much complicated for a series so popular. Instead, they let the script be used into the making of a new game.
Sure, the story IS complicated, delving in themes such as philosophy, psychology and theology, but it's some of the best ever told in gaming. I think it is pretty equiparable to the Legend of the Galactic Heroes anime in how both have complex themes and so many well written characters.
It starts pretty simple: a young man named Fei lives peacefully in a pacific village. One day, two conflicting forces, in the midst of battle, end up into his village unintentionally, ensuring chaos. Fei, in order to protect his people, try piloting a Gear (akin to a mecha robot) that is unoccupied. He ends up losing control and destroying everything. With no place to call home, he decides to move on, as the few people left alive don't want his presence anymore.
From there, you can't even imagine what is waiting you.

Now, into the gameplay, the most interesting thing is how it changes depending of two circumstances: if you are using the characters or the Gears. Some dungeons are obrigatory using only one of them, others no, you may either enter or left the Gears at will (though isn't wise not using then in areas where the enemies are giants in comparison to humans).
There's two battle systems. The basic attacks consists of you pressing X, square or triangle and making combinations that results in "Deathblows"(special combos) but, the other options differ, depending on the same circumstances i talked about earlier. For characters, you can store AP, allowing various combos at once. For Gears, you can increase your Attack Level by charging (enabling more powerful attacks) or using the "Booster" command, which makes your Gear faster but consume much more fuel than usual. Run out of fuel and you're practically disabled.
When people talk about Yasunori Mitsuda (the music composer), everyone is quick to say Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are his best works. I think Xenogears OST is in the same level, these being some evidence: Bonds of Sea and Fire, Omen, Shevat, Ship of Regret and Sleep, Gathering Stars in the Night

Personally, the thing that drags down Xenogears is, rarely i will replay a game so long and with a scope like this instead of playing something new and that is the reason i put it in this position. Instead, i would love to see an anime adaption or a remake to experience it again in a different way.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:11:54 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Outcrier

19. Chrono Trigger (1995)

Not much to say about this one that hasn't already been said. Best RPG ever. Top 10 games of all times. These are some of the "accolades" Chrono Trigger gets and well deservedly since it pretty much excels at everything.
But, if i were to pick my favorite aspects of the game, i would say the presentation, which elevates something that appears simple to higher heights and the legendary soundtrack, composed by two of the best in the industry, Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uematsu.
Still, when it comes to Chrono Trigger, it's been ages since the last time i've played it and never did how it was supposed to be: with a controller and without the "luxuries" of an emulator. Once i do that, i can definitely see this making my top 10.

18. Heart of Darkness (1998)

There goes my childhood.

An overlooked Playstation gem, Heart of Darkness is a side-scrolling platformer that only i played  :neverusethis:

It tells the story of a boy named Andy who goes on an adventure to rescue his dog from the hands of some alien monsters. Yeah, the story is pretty silly and nothing to write home about but, in the end, it doesn't matter much in this case (saying why would spoil it).
Sort of a spiritual successor to a SNES game called Another World/Out of This World, Heart of Darkness plays similarly to this one i mentioned and the Oddworld series, in a sense that you have to pay attention and use the environments to make progress.
Per example, in this world where the monsters habit, all shadows have proper life. Often you need to move an object to places where it doesn't cast a shadow in order to prevent them from attacking you or use your own to reach something out of range.
Also, you can attack, jump, climb and do other things in order to pass through enemies/obstacles. Dying doesn't matter much since you go back to the same screen and have unlimited tries.
In fact, the most well know thing about this game is how disturbing the deaths are, especially for being E-Rated. The main character, just a innocent kid, gets crushed, eaten and incinerated, just to say a few.
The only real downside about Heart of Darkness is the short duration but, at least, it's very fun while it lasts  ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:55:42 AM by Outcrier »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Fuck, Heart of Darkness!!  That shit was so hard hahaha.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I remember Heart of Darkness! I think I only played a demo of it though, but that was definitely the era when I was really into games so I remember a lot of the random stuff that got released even if I never played it.

Still haven't played Chrono Trigger, but I will do soon!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Okami! I really, really, really need to play it proper sometime. I love the concept and the art style.

The same can be said for Heart of Darkness - I need to give it a real go!

Still haven't played Chrono Trigger, but I will do soon!
DO IT! That's like the best RPG of all time. OF! ALL! TIME!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

DO IT! That's like the best RPG of all time. OF! ALL! TIME!

Offline Outcrier

Fuck, Heart of Darkness!!  That shit was so hard hahaha.

The last levels can be a pain in the ass, especially in Hard difficulty.

I remember Heart of Darkness! I think I only played a demo of it though, but that was definitely the era when I was really into games so I remember a lot of the random stuff that got released even if I never played it.

Nice that some people still remember it, i'm not alone after all :laugh:

Okami! I really, really, really need to play it proper sometime. I love the concept and the art style.

The same can be said for Heart of Darkness - I need to give it a real go!

Like i said, Heart of Darkness is pretty short so, you should have time to finish even if you're occupied.
Okami, on the other side, is more demanding. I won't rush that one.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Okami is fantastic, one of my favorite games. And I *have* heard of heart of darkness, just never played it myself, might check it out at some point though.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I couldn't even get past the first few screens of HOD it was extremely difficult for 12 year old me. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I do love Okami so much - the ps3 edition is just wonderful.

Didn't finish Xenogears, but I really liked the story, although it was a bit hard to follow at times. Will finish it some day.

I think I have expressed this before, but I find CT to be ridiculously overrated. Sure it is a fun game and a good RPG, but the combat system is slow and not that creative; the story has some huge clichés and it's predictable (despite having like 10 endings). Couldn't manage to end it, just got totally bored :lol .