Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231557 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. The King in Crimson's time to rule (pg. 19)
« Reply #805 on: November 20, 2014, 10:12:11 PM »
Yep, knew this would appear.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. The King in Crimson's time to rule (pg. 19)
« Reply #806 on: November 20, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »
I guess one of these two games will appear: Baldur's Gate II or Diablo II
Congrats to Outcrier for guessing my number one favoritest game ever! Enjoy your reward of cookies! Glorious, polyhedral cookies.

This is one of two older RPG/FPS games I've been meaning to get around to playing for what seems like an eternity. Yet, I still haven't because I'm really fucking lazy. :lol

The other is System Shock 2.
System Shock 2 is one of the best games that I cannot play. It's just too fucking scary and I'm awful at playing scary games. The little I've played is very, very good but... agh, just my own little personal gamer failing. One day I'll play it again... and it will be during the daytime... with all of the lights on and nobody else will be home so they won't hear my pathetic gibberings.

Here are a couple of random links that I intended to put into the respective entries but either I forgot to do it or I just couldn't be arsed to find a way to include them.

I talked about how Deus Ex had some gloriously bad voice acting, well, here's a bit of it. It may not be Resident Evil bad but it's still pretty awful.

On the other side of the coin, in the BG2 entry I talked about some great voice acting in games and I mentioned one Tony Jay, who plays one of the characters in Planescape: Torment. Here's a bit from one of the cooler sequences in the game. Warning, it does contains some spoilers, so if you're interested in playing Planescape: Torment sometime, I wouldn't watch it. But if you're not, then what the hell, watch it and revel in Tony Jay's badassness.

EDITED:
Yep, knew this would appear.
I am nothing if not predictable! :)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #807 on: November 21, 2014, 08:51:22 AM »
British B-Lister (C-Lister?) David Warner (of Time Bandits, Star Trek V and VI and numerous other films TRON) voices the main villain and he is awesome.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: November 21, 2014, 11:11:20 AM »
I have never played BG, I really wanted to but I just don't have the time.

I loved the list though, I need to try some of the games that I haven't played because everything else on your list has been on point.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #809 on: November 21, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »
I loved the list though, I need to try some of the games that I haven't played because everything else on your list has been on point.
This. Lots of games on my to-play list are on your top, and that makes yours awesome. Great list dude :hefdaddy .

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
British B-Lister (C-Lister?) David Warner (of Time Bandits, Star Trek V and VI and numerous other films) voices the main villain and he is awesome.

David Warner may not be an A-List actor in the states, but he is a top notch, well-respected actor.

Hope you all enjoyed my longwinded ramblings. If any of you happen to pick up any of these games and enjoy them because of this list, then I've done my job. :)

Thank for your listings. It was a true variety for me, as it featured some of my favorite games of all time, and other games I’ve never even heard of.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I guess I'll start mine then. And we'll be starting off with a pretty obscure title--at least in my group of friends.

25. Stuntman
Released: June 2002
Platform: PS2, Gameboy Advance
Developer: Reflections
Publisher: Atari

The game was pretty unique at the time. I remember the day my brother bought it, I had bought Spider-Man The Game, which had come out a few months before. I was watching him play it and just watched him get frustrated with it. We were really young at the time, but even today when I play it, it's an extremely frustrating yet rewarding game when you get the scenes right.

The basic plot of the game is that you play as a new stuntman who takes on a variety of films where you have to perform the stunts for the movies. Movies include: Toothless In Wapping, a London based gangster film; A Whoopin' and a Hollerin', a Dukes of Hazard-like film; Blood Oath, a Tokyo, Jet-Li inspired movie; Conspiracy, a techno-thriller film; The Scarab of Lost Souls, like Indiana Jones; and Live Twice For Tomorrow, a James Bond parody. Each of these movies has similar stunts that need to be performed, but each scene features different cars that each handle differently.

The cars are single-handedly the most frustrating part of the game. They handle sluggishly, they are slow, and sometimes don't seem like they respond to the controller very well. But that problem makes the game very rewarding all things considered because when you master the stunts and the scenes, you really feel like you accomplished something. Take for instance a scene in the second movie. You drive a General Lee like car and have to drive it off a bridge and onto a moving train, ride on that for a while, and then off the train into a tight parking lot back onto the train tracks to avoid two oncoming trains. It may sound confusing, but when you are performing those stunts in a row with the director calling out the stunts going at high speeds, it's a lot to process. It was basically Driver controls and graphics with a director yelling at you.

One of my favorite aspects of the game was the Stunt Creator, which gave you the cars from the movies as well as a few bonus cars, all kinds of stunt items like the 360 ramp, flaming hoops and banks of buses--a regular old Evil Knievel setup. I would spend hours playing around with this and would create different setups. I would also just spend time destroying the cars as I saw fit--they damaged quite nicely as you could lose the tires, doors, engine, etc.

I think nostalgia is the biggest thing with this game. It wasn't FANTASTIC by any means, but I have very fond memories of it. Passing the controller around with my brother as we both got frustrated with it--these memories make me smile. After each movie was completed, they had a trailer made for the movie with scenes interspersed with the stunts you filmed. The trailers were pretty good, but the implementation of the scenes was poorly done, but that was part of it's charm.

In 2007 or 2008, THQ released a sequel for the game where the sluggishness was corrected and there was more to do, but for me, it didn't play the part very well--Part of Stuntman's charm was the sluggishness and toughness and that's why it will forever be one of my favorite PS2 games.

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPrODqp6esY (Oh, and the load times were ridiculous  :lol)
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Never heard of it. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
This sounds familiar, I think I might have played it once or twice back in the day.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. SystematicThought's obscure stuff (pg. 24)
« Reply #814 on: November 23, 2014, 07:14:04 AM »
I heard of it but never played it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. SystematicThought's obscure stuff (pg. 24)
« Reply #815 on: November 24, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »
It's not the type of game I normally play, but I really enjoyed Stuntman.  Good times.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #816 on: November 24, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »
Not surprised at the lack of recognition. Like I said, I think it was one of those titles that you picked up when it came out and that was that--no one five years later was going to say: "Hey! Did you ever play Stuntman?"  :lol

Next update is coming tonight!

It's not the type of game I normally play, but I really enjoyed Stuntman.  Good times.
Glad at least one person know what it was  :lol
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #817 on: November 25, 2014, 01:57:14 AM »
24. XIII
Released November 2003
Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox, OS X
Developer: Ubi Soft
Publisher: Ubi Soft

I believe that this game made another appearance on someone else's list. For me, this is another game, similar to Stuntman, that was both frustrating at times (the stealth missions) and very rewarding at the same time. I remember buying the game in 2003 and not beating it until maybe 2009. I remember playing it and not beating it and forgetting about it and finally coming back to it and I'm glad I did because I was able to understand the storyline better compared to when I was 9 and had my parent's buy it for me. I didn't really understand the story behind it.

XIII is a cel-shaded FPS game made by Ubi-Soft based on the comic book series. The story revolves around an amnesiac who awakes on a beach with the number XIII tattooed on his chest. He finds himself tangled up in a political conspiracy with him being framed for assassinating the President of the United States. He must find his identity and solve the conspiracy. The story for me is the most intriguing element as I was always wondering what was coming next. My personal favorite mission is the one where you must infiltrate a mansion that is the location of a secret meeting between members of the conspiracy. That's where things start coming together for the story and things start making sense, as well as the mystique of the members known as the XX wearing KKK-like white robes. That mission always stuck with me.

The game was just a unique experience where I got caught up in the story, characters, and background of the game. I really wanted to uncover the conspiracy. Of course one of the most frustrating elements of the game is the fact that it ended in a cliffhanger which ultimately will never be continued. Which is a shame because it would have been fun to continue, I mean, the last line of the game is: "Are the fireworks not to your liking, Mr. Fly?" followed by a little note saying: "To Be Continued..." Dammit Ubi Soft!

But overall, it's another nostalgia trip for me and it's an FPS with an interesting story that isn't just a shoot-em up. There are stealth elements, little platforming puzzles, and documents and notes to collect that give some background. The music gives the game it's own style with funky, jazz, techno music filling the atmosphere. The triptych screens that pop up when you do a head shot or the onomatopoeia that pops up on screen for explosions really gave the game a unique feel and vibe that I hadn't experienced before. Overall too, it's a difficult game (for me at least)

If you like older consoles games and haven't played XIII, check it out! I think it's worth a look
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #818 on: November 25, 2014, 02:53:30 AM »
I've been meaning to get that for my PS2, I've seen good things about it. :tup It's really cheap as well.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #819 on: November 30, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »
Love that game. One of my favourite first-person shooters of all time.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #820 on: December 01, 2014, 12:34:19 AM »
I've been meaning to get that for my PS2, I've seen good things about it. :tup It's really cheap as well.
Definitely worth checking out. It's got its own style that I haven't seen in many games. It took the FPS genre and gave it a unique spin. And Adam West does the voice of a character--enough said

Love that game. One of my favourite first-person shooters of all time.
Talking about it again makes me want to play it again  :lol
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #821 on: December 08, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »
Since I've missed quite a few days and holding this up, I'll throw a few out there today with no/little description

23. Disaster Report
Released: April 2002
Platform: PS2
Developer: Irem
Publisher: Irem

Interesting post disaster plot and world. A lot of issues, but unique.

22. The Getaway
Released: December 2002
Platform: PS2
Developer: Team SoHo
Publisher: SCEA

Different take on GTA. No HUD mechanic was interesting but poorly executed. Good story and graphics for the time. And London was an interesting playground to play in

21. Goldeneye
Released: August 1997
Platform: N64
Developer: Rare
Publisher: Nintendo

Does this need an explanation?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #822 on: December 08, 2014, 10:48:39 PM »
The only one of those I know is of course Goldeneye. No explanation needed at all. Classic. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #823 on: December 09, 2014, 03:52:22 AM »
Goldeneye is legendary

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: December 09, 2014, 06:30:31 AM »
First game on your list that I am familiar with and yea, no explanation needed for Goldeneye.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #825 on: December 09, 2014, 07:43:36 AM »
Goldeneye is definitely a classic - not played or even heard of the others though!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #826 on: December 09, 2014, 08:11:32 AM »
Goldeneye redefined multiplayer gaming.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: December 09, 2014, 09:54:31 AM »
Goldeneye is an incredible game. I have my n64 still set up for Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #828 on: December 09, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
Does this need an explanation?

Not in the slightest. Fantastic game.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

what happened to this thread? i rather enjoyed the write-ups of the games. It made me nostalgic for games I love, and want to check out games I hadn't played before.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Outcrier

Apparently, SystematicThought has amnesia  :P

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Oh God and I said I wouldn't do this to you guys...

I'll finish up my list tomorrow. Sorry guys! And I didn't think there was much interest in my lists  :lol
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Outcrier

Oh God and I said I wouldn't do this to you guys...

I'll finish up my list tomorrow. Sorry guys! And I didn't think there was much interest in my lists  :lol

If you didn't wanted to do your list anymore, you should have said then because there was a bunch of people waiting to do their own ones.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 11:10:17 PM by Outcrier »

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
It's not that I didn't want to, I just have random games that not many people know of also I ended up getting busier than I thought I would have. Yeah, I probably should have said to move onto the next person, but I ended up not being on here much.

However, I am saying it now. Move on to Sacul, I just don't have the time to do the lists. Sorry to those on the list that had to wait because of me. I do really apologize, I never envisioned it taking this long. Maybe I'll finish it some other time.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:08:36 AM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Seems like it'd make sense to just do something like this:

1. If someone stalls the thread for a week, then the next member gets to start their list. The person who stalled the thread can resume once the other person is done.

2. If someone who took over for a stalling person then stalls the thread themselves, it just reverts to the original person. If that person isn't available, a new person can start.

3. Maybe we should go with a smaller number like 10 or 15 games per list if 25 is too daunting for busy folks.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Outcrier

I think 25 is fine IF it's two or more games per post (save some exceptions like when reaching the end of the list), the same way Systematic was doing.
Just one game takes the same time as a top 50 games/2 per post, which is what we were trying to avoid within this thread.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:37:00 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Can't the next person get going?! I love reading these kind of lists! :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Outcrier

Sacul is next but i don't know if he's still up for it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I will chime in that one post per day drags on these 'Top XX' threads to the point that I lose interest pretty quickly. I know that is a personal issue, but just sayin'.

Also thought I said this, but maybe I did not. I hated the Goldeneye 64 multiplayer mode, only because I always got my ass handed to me. But that is par for the course with multiplayer FPS games. The first person mode could be an all time top 10 game for me. I loved how each mission was unique and had specific objectives. And how closely it followed the movie, which I was a huge fan of.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Damn, also forgot about this. I'm currently busy with English school homework and with the final of my roulette, and using just a smartphone (this site need Tapatalk BTW), but if the school can lend me their computers during the afternoon, I can start in the following days. The list is ready and wouldn't change it that much now, so I would just have to take some time for the write-ups. Will let you know tomorrow.