Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231532 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Retro Time! (pg. 12)
« Reply #490 on: August 25, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »
I hated San Andreas, and IV was far too boring. I had a blast playing V, and GTA Online is one of the greatest things to ever happen to video games.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #491 on: August 25, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
I hated San Andreas, and IV was far too boring. I had a blast playing V, and GTA Online is one of the greatest things to ever happen to video games.

This, except I hardly played the online. I remember it being really buggy around its release. I may give it another try.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #492 on: August 25, 2014, 12:53:38 PM »
#18 - Driver
This game. This fucking game. I still have nightmares about the first level of this. It's just unfairly hard.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #493 on: August 25, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »

This, except I hardly played the online. I remember it being really buggy around its release. I may give it another try.

I played when it first went online. I got to level 4 and stopped because it was virtually unplayable. I started playing a few months later once the bugs we fixed, and I'm up to level 72 now. It really is something else. I love it. I'm hoping that when they release V on the next gen consoles and PC, they up how many people can be in a map. As it is right now, everyone sticks to the city 95% of the time. I'd like it if people could cover the whole map and still have stuff to do.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #494 on: August 25, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »
#18 - Driver
This game. This fucking game. I still have nightmares about the first level of this. It's just unfairly hard.

Ha!  Yeah, it's challenging.  The time limits are just enough in some cases, even with perfect runs, then you have those cops trying to kill your car.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:48:52 PM by Big Hath »
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: August 25, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »
Driver and GTA3 are all fantastic games.  Vice city will always be my favorite GTA though.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #496 on: August 25, 2014, 09:43:25 PM »
#16 - Madden NFL 2005

Released 2004 for Xbox

I probably don't have to say much about this one.  It's football.  By this point in the franchise, Madden was a polished game, a known quantity that was making slight improvements year after year.  And this is the same case.  After years of improvements to the offenses in the Madden series, it was about time they evened the field by giving the defense more smarts and introducing the hit stick.  Franchise mode got a bit better.  Online play improved.  The game became less an arcade shootout and more of a subtle chess match, similar to most real life NFL games.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:10:39 AM by Big Hath »
Winger would be better!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #497 on: August 25, 2014, 11:22:28 PM »
That's a game I might want to get for my PS2.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #498 on: August 25, 2014, 11:33:50 PM »
#18 - Driver

Same shit with Driver 2 for me. I can remember just playing thing over and over again vividly cause that's how many time I played certain levels and ingrained in my head certain routes became from memorizing the best routes to take.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #499 on: August 25, 2014, 11:41:47 PM »
I played a boatload of Madden in the '93 thru '95 era on Sega Genesis. That's all I have to say about that.

Epic sports franchise.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #500 on: August 26, 2014, 03:00:48 AM »
I played a boatload of Madden in the '93 thru '95 era on Sega Genesis. That's all I have to say about that.

Epic sports franchise.

I have Madden 97 on Sega Saturn. There are about 12 plays and every jersey has 88 on the back.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #501 on: August 26, 2014, 10:09:17 PM »
#15 - Half Life 2

Released 2004 for Xbox (2007 for Xbox 360)

I actually didn't buy The Orange Box until sometime in 2010, but I am glad I did as this is the second entry in my list from that purchase.  This particular game immediately felt different than any other game I had ever played in tone and atmosphere.  Set in a dystopian world, the atmosphere is immediately oppressive.  You don't have anything or really know where to go or what to do.  You gradually get better weapons.  There are vehicles to maneuver through certain stages (boat and dune buggy).  And eventually you come to a point where you have a group of resistance fighters that you have to use as a team to make it through a level.  Lots of really cool things going on in this game.  Oh, yeah - there is also the creepiness that is Ravenholm.  Those headcrabs - yeesh!

Overall a very long and satisfying game to finish.

Also. . .

Gravity. Gun.
Winger would be better!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #502 on: August 26, 2014, 10:23:48 PM »
Gravity. Gun.
This is all that needed to be said, really. :metal

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #503 on: August 26, 2014, 10:29:54 PM »
One of the best sequels ever  :metal
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #504 on: August 27, 2014, 12:47:40 AM »
I played the original countless times and loved it, and after playing through all the expansions, I could quite imagine how a propel sequel would play out and I was really sceptical.

Fortunally, I was wrong. So, so, very wrong. One of my favorite games of all time.  :metal Really familiar setting but with so many unique twists on things. I actually ordered the Orange Box for my PS3 just a few days ago, mainly for Portal but nothing will stop me from playing Half-Life 2 again. :biggrin:
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #505 on: August 28, 2014, 09:14:30 AM »
I remember trying to play the first one and got stuck at the beginning :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #506 on: August 28, 2014, 01:55:39 PM »

ok, maybe not huge, but I did miscount somewhere along the line and I actually have 26 games to talk about.  So just count this entry and the next as a tie for #14.

#14a - Super Mario Bros. 2

Released 1988 for NES

Sometime in1988/89, my dad had a business trip to Dallas, and my mom went with him.  When they returned, they had the usual souvenir stuff you would bring back from a trade show/business trip.  But they had also purchased an NES game as a surprise.  That turned out to be, you guessed it, Super Mario Bros. 2.  I had my NES for a bit prior to getting this game, and like seemingly everyone else, I had played SMB to absolute death and loved it.  I may have been aware that this game existed, but I was in complete shock to get it and very excited to play it.  At first I was a bit disappointed as it wasn't exactly like the first, but soon I grew to love it.

You have the choice of playing as one of four characters, each having strengths and weaknesses related to jumping height, jumping distance, running speed , and strength.  And you can change your character at the beginning of each level, depending on what is needed.  Mario is well-rounded in that he is above average in all categories although he does lose a bit of jumping ability when carrying an item/enemy.  Luigi's strength is in his jumping ability.  There are certain high jumps in the game that can only be reached with Luigi.  But carrying objects puts a serious damper on this ability.  Toad is strong as heck and runs very fast, but unfortunately he jumps like a busted pogo stick.  The upside is that he can carry items without losing any ability.  And he can pick up enemies and dig in the sand extremely quickly which is very useful on the desert stage where you have to dig to the bottom of the screen.  The Princess is fairly weak in the strength category, but the major plus for her is that she can float in the air for a bit if you hold down the jump button.  Extremely useful on those levels with moving platforms or longer jumps.

There are a few pretty cool stages in this game including one in the desert and one on (very slippery) ice.  Certain parts of the desert are quicksand.  In the game you can't kill enemies by jumping on them like SMB, but you can land on them and ride around on their heads wherever they go.  There is an albatross that flies by at certain points to give you a ride in the air.

And I always thought the bosses in this game were well thought out and designed.  The intermediate bosses are birds that shoot eggs at you which you must jump on, catch, and throw back.  There is a mouse that throws bombs, and a fire-breathing three-headed snake.  I remember one of the bosses is a big fireball called Fryguy that gave me the hardest time.  The first time I beat him, the game almost immediately glitched and started over.  Not fun times.

Not the most difficult game, but provided plenty of replay ability by trying different levels with different characters, etc.  Very fun sequel!
Winger would be better!

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #507 on: August 28, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
Ah, the Mario game that's not a Mario game. Of the NES trilogy (tetralogy if you count The Lost Levels), this is the only one I have not played.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #508 on: August 28, 2014, 09:52:25 PM »
I prefer the real SMB2. That game is hilariously cruel. :lol
I got bored halfway through the US SMB2. It's ok, but I don't rank it with any of the other 2D Mario games on NES/SNES.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #509 on: August 28, 2014, 10:22:21 PM »
Yeah, compared to the classic SMB1 and the epic SMB3, and of course the real SMB2, the reskinned Doki Doki Panic doesn't hold up. But on its own, I still think it's a great game and spent I don't know how long playing through it over and over and over again.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #510 on: August 28, 2014, 11:23:32 PM »
I'm with Blob and Bolsy. I really enjoy the nostalgia of thinking back to playing this during the Christmas holidays of 1991 but it's definitely a solid last place for me amongst every Mario platformer I've ever played. I like the music a good bit too. Main theme is like a warm, cozy blanket for my soul, the desert theme is cool, and the boss music is still pretty intense to this day. The character variation was a nice touch too.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #511 on: August 29, 2014, 09:15:02 PM »
I like the music a good bit too.
I haven't played any of the more recent games (Wii onwards), but before that I don't think there was any Mario game that didn't have a great soundtrack.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #512 on: August 29, 2014, 09:55:28 PM »
SMB2 is a interesting choice, pretty controversial. I don't mind though, i have my controversial picks as well  :tup
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #513 on: August 29, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »
#14b - Tetris

Released 1989 for Gameboy (obviously among several other release on a multitude of platforms, many of which were earlier than 89)

What needs to be said?  I doubt there are many that have never played this.  And if you haven't, it takes about 1 minute of game play to figure out what is going on.  My fondest memories of this game are linking Game Boys for two-player mode on long middle school field trip bus rides.  Epic matches.

The game had been around for a while prior to the Game Boy port, and it being bundled with the Game Boy hardware.  It's been said that Tetris made Game Boy [successful], and Game Boy made Tetris.  While debatable, there is some truth there.  Tetris creator Alexey Pajitnov has said the Game Boy version was his favorite.
Winger would be better!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #514 on: August 29, 2014, 11:21:10 PM »
I like the music a good bit too.
I haven't played any of the more recent games (Wii onwards), but before that I don't think there was any Mario game that didn't have a great soundtrack.

They're all killer. Koji Kondo ftw.

And Tetris. To quote Big Hath, what needs to be said? It's never been one of my personal favourites by any stretch, but I'm not generally into that kind of puzzle game anyway. But I've still played it a ton between its various incarnations and knockoffs, and it's easy to see why it's been so popular. That has to be one of the most copied video games in history. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #515 on: August 30, 2014, 12:27:29 AM »
Everyone post your Gameboy version record for lines. Mine's 229.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #516 on: August 30, 2014, 12:34:09 AM »
They're all killer. Koji Kondo ftw.
Definitely. :metal Zelda games always have great music, too.

Everyone post your Gameboy version record for lines. Mine's 229.
I did have Tetris on Gameboy, but I don't remember my high scores. I played it, though not very much.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #517 on: August 30, 2014, 12:41:24 AM »
I maxed out at 146 for the longest. THEN came the Super Gameboy and the combo of larger, brighter screen/infinite playing due to no battery involvement/comfier SNES controller had my record climbing seemingly every week for a while. If I can ever get the least bit comfy on level 20 speed, I'm gonna just play for singles and murk the shit outta my 229 since level 20 is where it stops increasing speed.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: August 30, 2014, 04:38:09 AM »
Tetris is in the iconic level of games.  Up there with Donkey Kong, Pacman and Space Invaders.  Never played the Nintendo system versions - cuz I never had a Nintendo system.  I was arcade style all the way.  Can't remember how high I would've gotten.  But fuck, didn't you always get a 4x1 when you didn't need it, and you never got it when you saved the whole fuckin left column!  I can't tell you the number of times I'd filled the whole screen except for one of the outer columns.   >:(
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #519 on: August 30, 2014, 04:53:38 AM »
My mom played that damn game on "her" own Gameboy every morning. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: August 30, 2014, 05:47:02 AM »
mrs.jingle used to play it on her computer a bit.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #521 on: August 30, 2014, 08:48:53 AM »
I'd like to sign up for this.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: August 31, 2014, 08:33:34 AM »
I once saw a video of a guy playing it on Championship mode, and he played really fast all the time, making lots of points. After some minutes he entered the maximum level, where all the pieces were moving like crazy, even for his fast hands. The best thing happened after he beat the game - he had to play one last time, but then the pieces were invisible! I don't know how he managed to, but beat the fucking mode. Damn asians :lol.

I'd like to sign up for this.
Said and done :hat.

Hey guys, I don't always read all the messages here, so if you said you wanted to sign up for this and I didn't add you, send me a PM with you post and will add you to your place in the list. For future signups, it'd be better if you send me a message.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #523 on: August 31, 2014, 02:31:48 PM »
Hey guys, I don't always read all the messages here, so if you said you wanted to sign up for this and I didn't add you, send me a PM with you post and will add you to your place in the list. For future signups, it'd be better if you send me a message.

Might wanna add this to the OP as well.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: August 31, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »
The thing is that it already is on the OP :lol. I think that just 2 or 3 users have sent me a PM so far. Anyways, I've updated the OP just to keep it clear.