Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231655 times)

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Retro Time! (pg. 12)
« Reply #455 on: August 12, 2014, 07:26:01 PM »
Man, I really need to try the Portal franchise.

Same here. I've tried it out and liked it, but never got too deep into the games.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #456 on: August 13, 2014, 02:29:49 AM »
Recently finished both Portal games, good stuff.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #457 on: August 13, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »
#21 - Splinter Cell

Released 2002 for Xbox

This was the first true stealth game I ever played.  In previous action games, my preferred method of navigating through levels was to take the path of least resistance rather than charge in with guns blazing.  I kept to walls, conserved ammo, and took enemies out one at a time when possible.  So to me, this game fit just like a glove.

As the game's protagonist (a veteran covert/black ops operator), you are encouraged to move through the shadows and use darkness for concealment whenever possible.  There was a light meter to tell you if you could be seen or not.  You were also aided by night- and thermal-vision goggles, which made that cool high-pitched sound when activated.  It was always great fun to sneak up on an enemy, put them in a sleeper hold, interrogate them, incapacitate them, then drag their bodies to a dark room/closet/etc so they wouldn't be found.  You also had a vast array of stealth/silent weapons and gadgets to keep you hidden or to find out what enemies were doing in other rooms and around corners.

The game narrative is on rails, so there's not really a chance or much point in exploring anything.  But the missions are quite lengthy so you really feel like you've accomplished something when you make it through.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #458 on: August 14, 2014, 04:58:25 AM »
This too was my first stealth game, and I sucked at it.  I bought the Splinter Cell trilogy for $18 at Costco, and only got about an hour into the first game.  I should revisit it - my PS3 crashed a few weeks back, and I lost all my game data, so it's probably a good thing since I'd have to refamiliarize myself with the controls, tactics and strategies.

When I'm done Arkham Origins, I'll give this one another go.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #459 on: August 15, 2014, 09:30:22 PM »
#20 - Combat

Released 1977 for Atari 2600

This is obviously a simple two player game, but surprisingly it comes with a great deal of variety.  My brother and I spent a lot of time playing this game.  It's a multi-directional shooter and exclusively two-player, so you had to have a friend or sibling with you to play it.

There were three vehicle types:
Tank - One on one action where you accumulated points for how many times you shot your opponent until the timer reached zero.  Depending on what mode you selected pre-game, there were straight shots, guided missiles that you could roughly guide with the joystick after firing, and ricochet shots that you could bounce off walls to hit your opponent.  There was also a mode for invisible tanks that only appeared for a few seconds after firing a shot.  The combat map could be selected from an empty field, a simple maze, or a more complex maze.

Biplane - You could choose to play one on one, two on two (the planes moved in tandem), or three on one in which one person controlled three planes in tandem while another person controlled a large bomber plane.  No maps in this mode, but there were two clouds on the screen and you could fly into the clouds so your opponent couldn't see you for a few seconds.

Jet - More maneuverable and faster than the biplanes, but this mode only had one on one, two on two, or three on three.

It was remarkable how this game got our competitive juices flowing.  Hitting that perfect bounce shot to score a point on the tanks was an incredible feeling.
Winger would be better!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #460 on: August 15, 2014, 09:38:06 PM »
I didn't recall the plane ones, but I played the tank ones. Good simple fun. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #461 on: August 15, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »
Oh man, all this variety of lists and games will take me a lot of time to even get a top 5 for the database :lol. I respect you a bit more now, Big Hath ;D.

And these games make me realize how young I am.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #462 on: August 15, 2014, 10:12:46 PM »
I vaguely remember playing this.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #463 on: August 15, 2014, 11:22:11 PM »
I remember getting this game as a hand me down along with a shitload of other 2600 games in '89. My older brother usually murked me but it was still good fun. I just wish I'd have gotten acquainted with it before seeing 7800 games and Super Mario Bros. since the simple graphics made me less inclined to play it and I think it had the potential to be a really awesome part of my childhood.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: August 16, 2014, 05:04:07 AM »
I'm with Blob.  I didn't have an Atari, but one of the heighbourhood kids did, and we spent a lot of time at his house.  He also had a pool table with a removable ping pong top.  Many an afternoon and weekend were spent in Jim Kantz's basement.  Then another kid a couple doors down got an Intellivision and pinball table.  Lucky for Jim that kid's parents were uber strict and hardly let anyone come over.  So we kept playing Atari and ping pong.

Anyway, Tank was excellent.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #465 on: August 16, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »
Splinter Cell is great. I don't know if it was my first stealth game, but it was one of the first, and I loved it from the first second.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #466 on: August 16, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »
I played the shit out of Combat in my youth.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DT.net Member
« Reply #467 on: August 17, 2014, 12:00:09 AM »
Tanks for the memories.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #468 on: August 17, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »
#19 - Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones

Released 1991 for NES

The classic co-op fighter series!  This game differs from the previous DD games in the series by allowing the player to play as a couple of the enemy bosses he has defeated along the way.  Chin, a Kung Fu master from China, is slow but has extremely powerful attacks (one is, hilariously, a flying head-butt).  Ranzou, a ninja from Japan, has fairly weak attacks, but his speed and aerial moves are unmatched.

Two-player mode is a bit better than before as Billy and Jimmy now have cooperative moves that double the strength of their attacks.  The main characters have their primary spin kicks, but if they are standing close to each other they do a double-cyclone kick that cuts through the weaker enemies with ease.  And jumping into your partner results in him catching and throwing you as you do a flying kick into the enemy.

It is a fairly difficult two player game, especially as you only have one life per character, but one that was also beatable with a skilled partner and a bit of luck.  I can remember spending hours on weekends with my best friend trying to and finally beating this game.  The final boss fight felt like a 15 round heavyweight fight!

Final thought: If you find yourself left with just Chin in the Egypt level, just go ahead and kill yourself/press reset.  There is no way that fat fuck can make those insanely difficult jumps required to get through the level.  I've tried.  Many, many times.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #469 on: August 18, 2014, 10:21:38 PM »
lots of Double D fans I see!

I'm not going to be able to update this thread very much this week since both work and family stuff is going to be a bit insane for the next few days.  Hope to have the next entry in a couple of days or so.  Sorry for the delay.
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: August 18, 2014, 10:28:22 PM »
I don't remember DD III, but certainly played a lot of the original and sequel.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #471 on: August 18, 2014, 10:32:30 PM »
I used to play the shit out of one of the DD games at a friend's house back in the day, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this one. Might have been DD 2.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #472 on: August 19, 2014, 02:27:03 AM »
lots of Double D fans I see!

Who isn't? :zydar:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #473 on: August 19, 2014, 02:35:58 AM »
It is a titilating game.

Offline adace

« Reply #474 on: August 21, 2014, 04:14:12 AM »
I got Splinter Cell when it first came out and it blew me away. Been a huge fan of the series ever since.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #475 on: August 22, 2014, 02:16:52 PM »
My cousin was crazy about the new DD, and wanted me to play with him, but these kind of games aren't my thing :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #476 on: August 22, 2014, 08:37:53 PM »
#18 - Driver

Released 1999 for Playstation

Fun driving game that was kind of a precursor to GTA III in that it featured 3D driving action from a vantage point just behind the vehicle.  Plus there was "free time" in which the player can go exploring around the city in their car.  Throughout the missions you are encouraged to crash into things, scare people, and create general mayhem.  And you had the option to replay particularly action packed chases and crashes from multiple camera angles.

The game is very similar to several of the car chase films from the 1970s in style and content.  You play the role of an NYPD detective going undercover in the mafia.  You have to impress your "employers" with your driving skills and navigate the organization through Miami, San Francisco, LA, and New York (or, at least rough estimations of those cities).

The driving controls and physics were very good for the time it was released.  Overall a very fun game driving game that has several options and cool getaway tasks, but some serious challenges, especially later in the game.
Winger would be better!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #477 on: August 22, 2014, 10:59:34 PM »
That game looks pretty fun and the graphics are pretty damn good for that era.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #478 on: August 24, 2014, 09:59:35 PM »
definite fun can be had with this one.  The original game spawned 5 or 6 sequels I believe.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #479 on: August 24, 2014, 10:44:50 PM »
#17 - Grand Theft Auto III

Released 2001 for Playstation 2 (2003 for Xbox)

The breakthrough for the GTA franchise (and the 5th game in the series despite the "III" designation).  Grand Theft Auto III brought a third-person view to the series, rather than the traditional top-down view of earlier titles.  And the graphics were updated with a new 3D game engine.  It was basically a mash-up of a third-person shooter and a driving game.  Two big keys of the success of this game that I latched onto were its non-linear gameplay and the huge open world environment.  You could basically do anything you wanted to at anytime.  Most of the fun for me in this game was spent well off the narrative of the game's built-in storyline.  These concepts were fairly new to gaming at the time and basically revolutionized the way almost all video games were made.
Winger would be better!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #480 on: August 25, 2014, 12:05:05 AM »
 :hefdaddy This fucking game. This game right here, nigga.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: August 25, 2014, 12:07:06 AM »
I played Vice City first, so I didn't get as much into GTAIII after that, but I still had a lot of fun with it. A pivotal game in the franchise. :tup

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #482 on: August 25, 2014, 12:30:00 AM »
I never really liked GTA III or Vice City all that much. I'd play them when I was at someone's house who had the games, and just fuck around driving and killing and blowing stuff up, but I was never interested beyond that. San Andreas was the first that I was interested in playing properly, but even then it wasn't until more than half a decade after its release. :lol

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #483 on: August 25, 2014, 01:46:19 AM »
GTA III is awesome! I'm kind of working my way back through the GTA series; although I played some GTA II, the first games I owned and finished were Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories for the PSP. After that, I started playing GTA IV and San Andreas. I've now also finished San Andreas, and I'm almost done with The Ballad of Gay Tony. I recently bought an old PS2, and I've already started on GTA III. A small feature in that game which really stands out for me is the fact that you have a opera-only radio channel  :lol

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #484 on: August 25, 2014, 02:42:02 AM »
I think the GTA games have gotten better, and while V and San Andreas are my favorites, I remember when III came out and how revolutionary it felt.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: August 25, 2014, 03:27:40 AM »
Never played even one minute of the GTA franchise.  Never appealed to me.

:dunno:

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #486 on: August 25, 2014, 05:45:45 AM »
GTA III is awesome! I'm kind of working my way back through the GTA series; although I played some GTA II, the first games I owned and finished were Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories for the PSP. After that, I started playing GTA IV and San Andreas. I've now also finished San Andreas, and I'm almost done with The Ballad of Gay Tony. I recently bought an old PS2, and I've already started on GTA III. A small feature in that game which really stands out for me is the fact that you have a opera-only radio channel  :lol
Oh God, I remember the opera-station. It was SO epic doing drive-bys with opera music blasting out of the car speakers. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #487 on: August 25, 2014, 10:55:54 AM »
Classical or Opera are the only types of music appropriate to play in sandbox crime games.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #488 on: August 25, 2014, 11:03:21 AM »

Must be your polite Canadian sensitivities.  I used to love the GTA series, but I have felt no interest in getting the new one.  I never finished IV and for some reason gratuitous violence doesn't do much for me anymore.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: August 25, 2014, 11:06:58 AM »

Must be your polite Canadian sensitivities.  I used to love the GTA series, but I have felt no interest in getting the new one.  I never finished IV and for some reason gratuitous violence doesn't do much for me anymore.

I played Vice City to death, but SA onwards were too much for me, not specifically in violence, but just in general, like trying too hard with the language and story content.
Not that I have a problem with those things in other media, they're just not what I look for in gaming.