Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231514 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Japan: The List (pg 9)
« Reply #420 on: August 08, 2014, 11:07:25 AM »
I loved Minor 2049er and Larry Bird vs. Dr. J on my Atari 1200 computer.  Yeah that's right. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #421 on: August 08, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »
Man I remember playing the crap out of 1943 back in the day.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #422 on: August 08, 2014, 11:09:24 AM »
Most of these picks being from before my birth are making me feel young.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #423 on: August 08, 2014, 11:23:54 AM »
I loved Minor 2049er and Larry Bird vs. Dr. J on my Atari 1200 computer.  Yeah that's right. :lol

ha, that's awesome!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #424 on: August 08, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
alright, here we go

#25 - ZeroZap

Released 1979 for TI-99/4A

This list is not in chronological order, but we are starting off with the very first video game I can ever remember playing.  My Dad bought our family a TI-99/4A for Christmas in 1982 when I was 5 years old.  He also bought 4 or 5 game cartridges.  One of them was Zero Zap and it was the first game my brother and I plugged into the machine and I can remember my parents had to basically drag us away from the computer for Christmas dinner.  We were hooked.

This game is likely to be the simplest game in this entire thread.  It is basically a ricochet/pinball type game where the player fires an arrow into various X's or randomly numbered diamonds.  When hit, the X's turn into the numbered diamonds and vice versa.  The arrow then bounces off to hit a wall or another X or diamond and keeps this up until it returns to the ground or it hits a diamond with a zero on it, at which point the diamond explodes and the arrow falls back to the ground.  The objective is to accumulate as many points as possible by hitting the numbered diamonds, hopefully in long consecutive strings of ricochets.  My brother and I would spend hours playing against each other, and although he was 11 years older than me, the simplicity of the game evened the playing field a great deal.  There was nothing better than getting a long string of ricochets on your last arrow of the match to take the lead and win.  He would get pretty upset when his 5 year old brother beat him.

But probably the coolest thing about this game was the ability to create your own board and try for longer and longer shots from a single arrow fire.  You could stack X's/diamonds all over the board and get an arrow to go on for what seemed like forever, until a zero diamond popped up of course.  There was nothing worse than firing an arrow and one of the first X's it hits turns into a zero diamond, because you knew you would be hitting it soon and your turn would be over.
Winger would be better!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #425 on: August 08, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
Well, I know Donkey Kong. :P I think I played the arcade version when I was very young, and when a bit older I had Donkey Kong on Gameboy, which started out with the original arcade game before DK runs off and Mario has to chase him through a shitload of levels in all these different locations. Probably one of my favourite puzzle platformers.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #426 on: August 08, 2014, 09:58:41 PM »
we also had Donkey Kong for the Atari 2600.  What a terrible port!

Seriously, this is what they were passing off as Donkey Kong:

Winger would be better!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #427 on: August 09, 2014, 04:52:33 AM »
Anyone watched the documentary The King of Kong: A Fistfull of Quarters?  You'll gain a whole new appreciation for Donkey Kong.

Miner 2049'r... I vaguely remember it, but played a lot more of it's equivalent, Hard Hat Mack

Midway... yeah, played a shit load of that too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #428 on: August 09, 2014, 05:28:10 AM »
Anyone watched the documentary The King of Kong: A Fistfull of Quarters?  You'll gain a whole new appreciation for Donkey Kong.
Shit, I've been meaning to watch that for years, but never got around to it and forgot. Now that you've reminded me, I think I'll finally go about taking a look.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #429 on: August 09, 2014, 08:20:33 AM »
I've seen it and enjoyed it a lot.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: August 09, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
Holy fuck battle at Midway, I haven't played that game in years but it was awesome!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #431 on: August 09, 2014, 10:18:45 AM »

awesome film.  It introduces a villain as dastard as any from one of the hundreds of big budget 80's action flicks.

Plus it has a Rush/Neal Peart connection with that scene where the protagonist talks about being good with his hands/recognizing patterns and being able to recreate them at high speeds.  He actually plays a bit of "The Rhythm Method" on drums if I recall correctly.
Winger would be better!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: August 09, 2014, 10:45:07 AM »
I never saw it.  I will search for that film!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #433 on: August 09, 2014, 09:25:14 PM »
Seen it and enjoyed it. Heard or saw a couple of weeks ago though that there was a new King of Kong so they should make a sequel or something now haha.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #434 on: August 09, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »
#24 - Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection and Pinball FX 2

Released 2009 and 2010 for Xbox 360

I am an absolute sucker for video pinball games.  This entry is a tie between these two titles, but it should also include Space Cadet (the windows pinball game from the 90's), Pinball Hall of Fame: Gottlieb Edition, Pin Ball (for the NES), and a host of other pinball games from various platforms.

The Williams collection is a recreation of various real life tables that were produced by Williams Electronics from 1970 to 1997.  The physics and sound effects in this game are absolutely true to life.  It's amazing the level of detail they put into this game, which covers 13 classic pinball tables.  In addition to trying to increase your high score, each table has 5 goals to accomplish ranging from easy tasks to ridiculously hard combos/side games.  Favorite tables in this collection include FunHouse, Whirlwind, Tales of the Arabian Nights, and Medieval Madness.

Pinball FX2 is on the Xbox Live platform.  The base game is a free download, but you must purchase each table separately or in add-on packs.  The tables designed for this game were never physically made (nor could they be in most cases) and they focus more on special effects.  The physics can be a bit wonky at times, but for the most part everything acts as would be expected.  They have released close to 50 tables at this point, and each one that I have played has been well worth it.  They have licenses with Marvel and Star Wars, so many of the games have those themes, but there are several that don't.  My favorite tables are Excalibur, Captain America, Spider-Man, and Star Wars: Starfighter Assault

Winger would be better!

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #435 on: August 09, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
The only experience I have with this sort of game is cheating in Windows Pinball.  :lol
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: August 09, 2014, 10:26:04 PM »
Holy crap they look realistic!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #437 on: August 09, 2014, 10:37:23 PM »
Holy crap they look realistic!

the realism on the Williams collection is crazy.  You might as well be standing at the table.
Winger would be better!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #438 on: August 10, 2014, 12:30:36 AM »
I've never been much into pinball games. They've always just felt like poor-man's videogames to me. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: August 10, 2014, 05:15:44 AM »
I played a handful of pinball games - the real kind - back in the 80s.  Terminator and Addams Family come to mind as games that extracted a lot of quarters from me... mostly the latter.  There were a few others.  Like all games, you had to play them repeatedly to get good at them.  Never really migrated to play digital pinball games much.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Retro Time! (pg. 12)
« Reply #440 on: August 11, 2014, 12:04:36 PM »
#23 - Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off Road

Released 1989 as an arcade cabinet

I played this a fair amount in the NES, but there was nothing like walking up to that 3-steering-wheeled cabinet at Aladdin's Castle with a couple of friends and racing away.

There were eight different tracks and the 1st place finisher earned points to continue in the championship series and money with which to upgrade their truck or buy more nitro.  This was one of the first racing games where the player could upgrade their vehicle by earning money.  There were five upgrade levels for Tires, Shocks, Acceleration, and Top Speed with each one have a vastly different effect on how your truck performed during the race.  With an leftover cash you could try to hoard as many nitros as possible which give you a momentary boost durign the race.  The nitros gave each race a reasonable level of strategy as you didn't want to burn them all too quickly and have someone with reserves blow past you on the last lap.

Each track was littered with ramps, jumps, water hazards, and other obstacles.  At least one track also had a criss-crossed section where trucks would jump over a pool of water at the intersection, leading to some crashes.  This is also one of those games where the further you got in the game, the more insanely good the computer racers became.  You could have maxed out all your upgrades and nitros and still struggle to hold off the computer controlled trucks as they dash around the track like mad men.
Winger would be better!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: August 11, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »
I had never heard of this game until a couple weeks ago when James Rolfe posted a video with him and Mike and Pat playing it.

I do remember 'Elevator Action' and loved 1942 and 1943. Cool to see those make the 'best of the rest' list.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: August 11, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »
I played Super Off Road all the time.  Many quarters were lost.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: August 11, 2014, 09:29:14 PM »
Oh hell yeah!  Played a lot of this, but I spent many more rolls of quarters on it's predecessor, Super Sprint.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #444 on: August 11, 2014, 09:34:11 PM »
yep, definitely has many of the same qualities as Super Sprint.  The overhead, full-track view.  Three-steering-wheeled cabinet.  Tight turns. etc . . .
Winger would be better!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #445 on: August 11, 2014, 09:50:02 PM »
I played this game a bit in the day aswell, but it didn't cost me that much - I've only played the NES version.

Though, as far as NES racers go, nothing beats Micro Machines.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #446 on: August 12, 2014, 09:55:41 AM »
#22 - Portal

Released 2007 for Xbox 360

This one has been talked about earlier in the thread, so I will keep this brief.  I believe I first heard of this game in an Xbox magazine as they were hyping it as part of The Orange Box.  It was an extremely novel idea for a game, creating new ways to move within a game, but also new ways to interact with and manipulate objects.  Cool puzzles to solve.  Very cool sense of humor as well.  I never did play Portal 2 as life got a bit more complex for me just prior to its release.
Winger would be better!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: August 12, 2014, 10:00:22 AM »
Off Road!!!!

I haven't thought about that game in a long time but I spent a lot of summers playing that game.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: August 12, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
I will express my love for Portal every time it comes up in those lists, so  :heart :heart :heart

One of the best games out there, for sure.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #449 on: August 12, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »
I will express my love for Portal every time it comes up in those lists, so  :heart :heart :heart

One of the best games out there, for sure.
Absolutely this. Portal 2 is even better :heart

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: August 12, 2014, 03:42:42 PM »
Man, I really need to try the Portal franchise.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: August 12, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »
When Sexbox 360 came out that was the first series of systems I stopped buying.  Wasn't playing like the old days.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #452 on: August 12, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »

Like right now pls.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #453 on: August 12, 2014, 07:16:38 PM »

it really is a cool spin on your normal puzzle solving games.
Winger would be better!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #454 on: August 12, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »
Both Portal games are so brilliant.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.