Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231495 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. The Age of the Scorpion (Pg. 5)
« Reply #280 on: July 23, 2014, 02:17:32 AM »
I've never played any of the Prince of Persia games.  :-[

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #281 on: July 23, 2014, 02:30:00 AM »
Dishonored is a game I've been meaning to check out, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I remember playing the original Prince of Persia back in the day (not sure if I played the Apple or DOS version), but haven't played any others.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #282 on: July 23, 2014, 09:21:20 AM »
Yeah, I remember playing the old PoP on the NES and getting way frustrated with it. Haven't tried any of the follow ups since lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: July 23, 2014, 08:23:34 PM »
I remember Tomb Raider 2 being such a hard fucking game when I was a kid

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #284 on: July 23, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »
3. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (2004)

This is probably an unpopular choice for favourite of the Prince of Persia series, let alone Top 3 of all games, but I don't care, because this game is awesome.

You're not alone, Scorpion  :biggrin:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #285 on: July 24, 2014, 08:57:21 PM »
Aw man it's about to get real weeaboo in here soon.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #286 on: July 24, 2014, 11:27:44 PM »
2. Beyond Good and Evil (2003)

One of the game's first boss battles, against a creature whose photo is worth 3 grand.

This game is one of the overlooked greats that never really got the attention that they deserved, in my opinion. Nearly everyone who has played this game will probably agree with me that it is completely awesome, but the thing is that not many people have played this game. So anyway, what makes this game so great? Well, first of all, the story is completely awesome. It really draws you in and makes you interested in what is happening at the moment. You play as Jade, a reporter on the small mining planet Hillys, that is under attack from an alien force known as the DomZ - but not everything is how it seems, and you are tasked with uncovering a conspiracy that threatens the destruction of Hillys from an unlikely source. Armed with your camera, you have to sneak into secure locations, avoid being detected as pretty much all the enemies are way out of your league and gather proof of the conspiracies to draw the people of Hillys onto your side.

Another thing that is so great about this game, as I already mentioned here, is the stealth. Now I recently saw a video that shows me that it is possible to just say "Fuck stealth" and kill your way through this game, but it is very very costly in terms of health stuff, and it takes so much fun out of the whole thing that I don't get why you would do that. For me, the main part of fun here is the stealth, and while the AI isn't really THAT great, it's still a whole lot of fun, thinking of different way to sneak past enemies, knowing that one mistake will probably mean your death.

The third great thing here is a pretty unique gameplay mechanic that I enjoy a lot. In most games you get money for raiding and stealing stuff, or maybe enemies drop it when they die. That exists here as well, but the amounts you get that way are pretty slim. No, your main source of income is to take pictures of every species of animal on the planet, because the science centre is doing an inventory. I think there are 64 different animals that you can photograph, and the rewards range from 100 units to 3500 units. Plus, some of the animals are hidden in a way that is just plain evil and you really need to think about certain things to find that last elusive species. Later in the game, you get an animal detector, but that just shows you location on the map, and often times that's not enough to get a good photo. Finding all the animals is a rewarding and interesting on-going quests, and it's a lot of fun.

Last point (because this write-up is so long anyway, though I could probably go on for a while more): the soundtrack is absolutely gorgeous. It always fits the mood of the section you are in, and it is always great. My favourite part of it would either be the music of the first fight scene or the gorgeous music set to the one of the most heart-wrenching cutscenes in the game (those who have played the game know what I mean), but really, that's like picking your favourite children. The whole thing is great, and it never lets up. It might be worth getting the game for the soundtrack alone, that's how good it is.

In case my endless gushing didn't clue you in: buy this game! It's awesome throughout, the only downside being a camera that's a little weird sometimes, and it's available on Steam for not a lot of money. Do yourselves a favour and check this one if you don't know it, I've never met anyone who has played this and doesn't like it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #287 on: July 25, 2014, 12:02:49 AM »
I haven't played this. :O

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #288 on: July 25, 2014, 08:31:09 AM »
I have this on my must-play list, I hope to play it soon. I think there is a PS3 HD Edition, right? What are your thoughts on it? Because I really want to play this game now after reading your writeup :coolio

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #289 on: July 25, 2014, 10:00:24 AM »
I haven't played the HD edition, but I've heard that, while it looks a little better throughout, the controls are a little glitchy and the camera does some weird stuff, but that's what people have been saying about the PC version. I have no idea if that transfers to the PS as well - since I don't have one, I never bothered finding out.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #290 on: July 25, 2014, 11:09:48 AM »
I have the HD version and I never had many problems while playing it. Awesome game either way.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #291 on: July 25, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
With a lot of LucasArt point and click games being featured, I wonder if Maniac Mansion will be number one? 

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: July 25, 2014, 09:34:20 PM »
With a lot of LucasArt point and click games being featured, I wonder if Maniac Mansion will be number one? 

How could that be, considering that Grim Fandango is clearly the best of those? :p

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #293 on: July 26, 2014, 01:16:30 AM »
One more thing on BGE: anyone who is out to play this game, please don't let the final boss ruin it for you. A warning ahead of time: he's a fair bit harder than anything else in the game, and there is one part where it isn't exactly clear how you have to beat him, though it should be pretty obvious is if you look at what is happening a little, though the very final part of that battle is still a pain. Now I'm not the biggest fan of that boss myself, but I've read reviews and I've heard people talk about how the final boss completely ruined the game for them, and this game doesn't deserve that, because apart from that one fight, there's really next to nothing to complain about.

And on that cheerful note, here's number 1! The moment you have all been waiting for, etc., etc...

1. Portal 2 (2011)

Portal was great - so great that it was easy to overlook some of the game's... well, not exactly flaws, but points where you could improve things quite a bit, which was mainly the length of the game. Portal 2 did what I thought to be impossible: it took a brilliant game as basis, wrote a sequel to that which fixed the game's only problem, and made a game twice as long which is still as entertaining as the first game is, all the way through. Like with the first game, there is a very small cast of characters, and your character is mute, so you only have two three talking characters (one of which you never see), but oh man, how awesome are they? GLaDOS is back, and she's as delightfully evil, snarky and sarcastic as always (that moment in Chapter 4 where the calls your parents is completely hilarious, and one of my favourite moments in any game ever), with the new robot Wheatley being a counterpoint to GLaDOS's ice-cold precision with his loveable bumbling incompetence. And Cave Johnson is just as awesome and deranged as you'd expect the founder of Aperture Sciences to be. His speech about lemons has already become internet-famous, and there's a good reason for it. So yeah, if you take all the elements that made Portal great, and add only more awesomeness on top of that, in a longer game with some brand-new mechanics which lead to whole boat-load of puzzles that require quite a bit of thought sometimes, you have a recipe for perfection. And hats off to Valve for pulling off that recipe successfully.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #294 on: July 26, 2014, 01:32:30 AM »
I haven't played any of your top 10!
I've heard about Portal a lot, so that's probably not an obscure or controversial choice, and it looks like something I'd enjoy more than most other recent games.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: July 26, 2014, 01:42:49 AM »
Portal 2 would be really high for me as well. It takes the good parts of the first game and makes a game that's much better. Cave Johnson is my personal favorite, and my favorite part of the game is navigating the halls where Cave Johnson is talking.

"Those of you who volunteered to be injected with praying mantis DNA, I've got some good news and some bad news. Bad news is we're postponing those tests indefinitely. Good news is we've got a much better test for you: fighting an army of mantis men. Pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line. You'll know when the test starts."  :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #296 on: July 26, 2014, 01:43:25 AM »
Blob, I think you'd like it a lot. I mean, you have a sarcastic robot that ridicules you for being fat and adopted throughout the game. How awesome is that?

Anyway, here's the whole list.

25. Flatout 2
24. Fable: The Lost Chapters
23. Titus the Fox: To Marrakesh and Back
22. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
21. Eets - Hunger. It's emotional
20. Worms 4: Mayhem
19. Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
18. Tomb Raider: Anniversary
17. XIII
16. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
15. The Secret of Monkey Island
14. Portal
13. The Cave
12. Rayman 2: The Great Escape
11. Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft
10. Batman: Arkham City
09. Scrapland
08. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
07. Psychonauts
06. TRON 2.0
05. Alice: Madness Returns
04. Dishonored
03. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
02. Beyond Good and Evil
01. Portal 2
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:11:36 AM by Scorpion »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #297 on: July 26, 2014, 02:07:33 AM »
Portal 2 would be really high for me as well. It takes the good parts of the first game and makes a game that's much better. Cave Johnson is my personal favorite, and my favorite part of the game is navigating the halls where Cave Johnson is talking.

"Those of you who volunteered to be injected with praying mantis DNA, I've got some good news and some bad news. Bad news is we're postponing those tests indefinitely. Good news is we've got a much better test for you: fighting an army of mantis men. Pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line. You'll know when the test starts."  :lol

:rollin The Portal games are amazing, great choice.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #298 on: July 26, 2014, 02:09:52 AM »
I think I prefer the humour and quirkiness of the first Portal, but the second isn't far behind, and it really stepped up the gameplay.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: July 26, 2014, 04:41:00 AM »
Portal 2 is good, but I think I like the first just a bit more.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: July 26, 2014, 07:23:32 AM »
Portal 2 has one of the coolest endings in a video game I have ever seen.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #301 on: July 26, 2014, 08:00:01 AM »
Yeah, that ending's complete lunacy.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: July 26, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »
I really can't explain enough my love for the Portal series, they're just too awesome. The first time I played them, I didn't care too much for what GlaDOs was saying, but damn, now I really want to replay those games - and get some lemons. By the way, amazing list, lots of great modern games :tup.
Oh, and I'd like to say that I can post something about the database, with statistics and stuff, but the only game in common between both lists is Batman Arkham City, so we'll have to wait till the following top finishes.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #303 on: July 26, 2014, 07:20:11 PM »
So I found this at my parent's house and I couldn't resist:

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: July 26, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
So should I get started or are we leaving discussion for Scorpion's last post for a while?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #305 on: July 26, 2014, 08:12:07 PM »
Well, it's not like people can't comment on both! But I've no power, so...I'll just...

AWESOME list! Wonderfully written, great timing between them. Good stuff all around. I loved Portal 2 but I still haven't finished it because GOD DAMN THOSE FUCKING PAINTS! Once I get to the third paint you get (can't remember the colors...to many...), my brain just turns off. It's just too god damn much. I play games for two reasons: To escape reality, and to be enamored. Once I have to start thinking more than any type of thinking I've done throughout school, it goes beyond gaming.  :lol It's just work at that point. My brain isn't cool enough to actually ENJOY doing some of those puzzles, it's nucking futs, really. But I'll have to one day check it out again unless they come out with a Portal 3 in the next few years.

On to the next, I say! We've still got some catching up to do.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: July 26, 2014, 08:36:02 PM »
Alright, I guess I might as well get started. True, no reason people can't discuss both.

As a version title, might I recommend something about Weeaboos, or something to the effect of "Japan: The List".

25 - Little Busters!
PC - Visual Art's/Key - 2007

We're starting with something extremely weeaboo-y, and a type of game that many of you have probably never played, so I guess a little explanation of the visual novel genre is in order. Typically a visual novel is a japanese game in anime style, most of the game being just text, pictures, music, sound effects, and in newer games, voice acting (and sometimes small amounts of actual animation, but this is pretty unusual). By design, these games tend to focus pretty much entirely on story, because there's not much else to sell a game on...unless it's an Eroge (arrow-gay). This means 'erotic game', and though Visual Novel and Eroge are not equivalent terms, many Visual Novels are Eroge. Some of these suck ass, some of them are pretty great. Though this game is not an Eroge, there are a few on this list, but please believe that in these cases, it's really an in-spite-of thing, rather than a because-of thing. Most of the gameplay in a Visual Novel is choices, either of actions or dialogue. Some of these choices don't really matter, but usually they will influence the plot, specifically, they will lead you onto one of the game's routes - different story paths (and endings) that usually coincide with ending up with one of the game's romantic interests. Most of the time (and in all the ones I've played), you're playing as a guy with female romantic interests. Of course, the inverse also exists (these are referred to as Otome (maiden) Games), and homoerotic ones as well.

So.

Little Busters!, as I have mentioned before, is not an Eroge (though they did release an 18+ version called Little Busters Ecstasy (or EX), which I have not played). As with most games, however, it does have the route structure based on which of the many romantic interests you end up with. First you play through a common route, where you meet all the characters and make choices which determine which girl you'll end up with. The common route focuses on building a baseball team (a convenient way for the game to have you meet all these interesting ladies), and features something relatively rare for a Visual Novel: minigames! The first, of course, is a baseball game. Well, really more of a batting practice game. It's surprisingly complex, you have a lot of control over where the ball goes if you're good at it (I wasn't), and you raise the stats of your teammates by sending the ball toward them. You also can make your pitcher learn new pitches by hitting the baseball at cats (don't ask). The other primary minigame is a battle system, where you are occasionally given an option to 'Wander', which will allow you to challenge other characters to fight you. Although it's pretty random, there is some complexity to it as well, with stats that can be improved through items you earn by winning battles. There's even a secret boss that can be challenged if you complete certain objectives on second playthrough or later (though I've never gotten close, he's insanely powerful). At the end of the common route, you play a baseball game, which you will win or lose depending on the stats you've managed to develop. I won on my first playthrough, but after that I started focussing entirely on combat stats, which I assume is why I lost every single time. Ultimately it doesn't matter if you win or lose, after this game you move on to the route for whichever girl you end up with. After completing all of the routes, you are then able to play through the real ending.

Minigames aside, the main thing that makes this game stand out, of course, is the writing. As usual from Key, it is side-splittingly hilarious, and also soul-crushingly depressing. The characters are also great, mostly anime stereotypes on the surface with hidden (and dark) depths that are revealed in the course of the story. Well, most of them. Futaki's just a bitch I don't care what anyone says. The story is phenomenal, and cleverly integrates the route structure into the narrative itself (can't really explain what I mean without spoiling the whole thing). Writer/Creator/Composer Jun Maeda's music really shines in this game as well.

I don't expect anyone to go out and try this game if they've never played a Visual Novel before (save that for one of the later ones), but if you have ever played and enjoyed one (even, say, Ace Attorney) this is a great one. It has had an anime adaptation, and it's pretty good, but many of the best scenes (both funny and sad ones) are missing, and as with anything else, the original version is better.

24 - Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
PS2 - Atlus - 2003

So back to the semi-mainstream, this one is a JRPG. If you've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game before, I'm so, so sorry. This one isn't even the best one. Not even close. You're gonna hear a lot about SMT in this list, and if even one of you picks up an SMT game for the first time and enjoys it I will be very glad.

Nocturne is a really great starting point to talk about SMT, though, because as compared to the other games in the series I'm going to mention, it's the most faithful to the basic Shin Megami Tensei formula, that is: You are a person who for whatever story reason has gained the ability to summon demons (in this game it's because you get turned into a half-demon thing), and you must travel around post-apocalyptic Tokyo, befriending and/or killing demons you encounter in battle, and fusing the demons you have into more powerful ones to help you beat the extremely difficult and completely ruthless bosses (MATADOR).

Nocturne is the first (but not last) game in the series to feature the Press Turn system, which in my opinion is the most brilliantly perfect JRPG battle system ever. If you play well, you can abuse the system and win battles. If you play poorly, the system punishes you and you die. Unlike most games in the series (and most JRPGs), though, the secret super-hard boss battle is not THAT hard. I mean, the process of putting Pierce on every demon is grueling, and the process to unlock him is tough, but once you're ready for him he's a pushover, much unlike the nightmares you have to contend with in Digital Devil Saga and Persona, but more on them later.

As any SMT fan knows, one of the best things the series has going for it is composer Shoji Meguro, and this game is no exception. The music fits the tone and aesthetic of the game perfectly, and the boss theme is just the tits, guys.

Unfortunately, the story's a little meh in this one, which is unusual for the series as a whole (in my opinion), but the great gameplay, music, and atmosphere more than make up for it.

23 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
PC/XBox 360/PS3 - Bethesda - 2006

Gonna upset some people, I think, but this is the only Elder Scrolls game on the list. Maybe a bit of nostalgia glasses on this one, but I really love Oblivion. That's not to say I don't love Morrowind and Skyrim (it is to say I don't love the earlier ones, though), but every Elder Scrolls game has its pros and cons. My ideal would be a game with the story of Morrowind, the graphics of Skyrim (or better), and the system from Oblivion. If it weren't for the goddamn thing where you can miss with an attack that clearly hit the target in Morrowind because of a bad roll, it would be the one on the list, instead.

Anyway, what I love about Oblivion is hard to completely pin down. I just feel like it's a good middle ground between the extremes of Morrowind (a hard RPG system wearing an Action-RPG hat) and Skyrim (an Action-RPG that's getting pretty light on the RPG elements). You have stats that matter, but hitting stuff actually matters too. Most of the rest I can say about this game I could say about any modern Elder Scrolls game, the open world is great, and the amount of character customization is excellent. Something I like to do is invent actual characters for my...characters. One guy, a stealthy bow-based assassin character who dabbled in poisons had the internal monologue of a serial killer in my head. I had a character who was a noble knight, and a mage who wanted to become an immortal lich. Again, like any game in the series there are also great unscripted or unintended moments. One of my favourite moments playing Oblivion was hearing the automatic NPC dialogues get a little odd, as one NPC approached another and said, "Hi!", to which the second NPC said, "Hi!". In response, the first NPC said "Bye!", and the second said "Bye!". On the other side of it was when I was doing the last mission for the Thieves' Guild, alone, in the dark, in the middle of the night. I don't know if they intended for the section where you sneak into the tower from underground to be so creepy and imposing, but it was, for me, and I really loved it.

(just an FYI, this is one of only three games on this list that were not made in Japan.)

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #307 on: July 26, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »
So I found this at my parent's house and I couldn't resist:

Quite possibly the greatest video game ever! A total masterpiece! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #308 on: July 26, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
I concur. It's the best Zelda game by a longshot.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Japan: The List (Pg. 5)
« Reply #309 on: July 26, 2014, 09:38:43 PM »
(just an FYI, this is one of only three games on this list that were not made in Japan.)
It means it's gonna be a really interesting list then. I have only played Oblivion, but couldn't get pass the beginning, sorry. The game mechanics feel so old for me  :lol.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Japan: The List (pg 9)
« Reply #310 on: July 26, 2014, 09:42:10 PM »
Whoooaaaaa! THWEET LITHT ALREADY BRO!

I absolutely adore Nocturne and am both genuinely delighted to see it and dismayed to see it low on the list (despite that it's still 'high' overall).  :lol It is perhaps my favorite RPG of all time and this is coming from a longtime and foaming-at-the-mouth- Mega-Ten fan so I'm highly biased. Oblivion has some great memories for me despite not really getting into the series till Skyrim. It was my personal proof that American developers weren't completely retarded when it comes to RPG experiences, despite the fact that I considered the game nearly sacrilegious when I originally heard about it. RPG ELEMENTS IN AN ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME!? YOU SHALL BURN FOR YOUR SINS!

Great start!

P.S. FUCK YOU MATADOR. FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!  :tup

RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #311 on: July 27, 2014, 02:32:51 AM »
Unsurprisingly Japanese start to the list. :lol

Haven't played the first two games, but Oblivion is great. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #312 on: July 27, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »
I have not played many Japanese games that are not made by Nintendo. This will certainly be an interesting list.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #313 on: July 27, 2014, 01:05:36 PM »
Awesome avatar, Randaran!  :metal I've got the curse brand tattoo'd on my man boob.  ;D Absolutely adore Berserk.

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: July 27, 2014, 05:28:35 PM »
Berserk  :heart

I wish there were a good Berserk game I could put on my list.

Update will be whenever I feel like in the next few hours. :lol

...my name is Araragi.