Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231580 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. The Age of the Scorpion (Pg. 5)
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2014, 06:19:41 PM »
I have the feeling that I am the only who doesn't love the most recent reboot. Okay, it's better than the most recent PoP, but that's not saying much, and I'd rank every Tomb Raider from III on onward above the most recent one.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2014, 06:37:38 PM »
Tomb Raider is the adventure game for puzzle enthusiasts who don't have the intelligence to actually play a puzzle-heavy game. It's got the adventure, sex appeal, action, and story of a great action flick...it can hold it's own and go above and beyond when compared to the current action movies. But it's like it dangles this puzzle in front of you and it's like "OMG CAN YOU SOLVE THIS!? I'LL BET YOU CAN'T!?" and a mentally deficient kid comes up and drools all over the puzzle and completes it in a few seconds. It was absolutely horrible in terms of molding the old with the new. You'd have to be a fucking twat to not be able to progress in that game (barring the aforementioned *sadface*).

Yeah, it was pretty horrible in terms of what the serious end-all-TR-series should have become. But that's just it, it's a reboot. For a reboot, it was pretty god damn good. Now, the true tell tale sign will be if the sequel treats us as moronic inbred fucks. If that happens, yeah...I'll consider the new series to be utter shit, under III. Till then...god damn, do you have some imagination to be able to play III in this day and age. I just can't get past those fucking polygonal tits. Spikey motherfuckers...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #212 on: July 13, 2014, 06:43:52 PM »
Prince of Persia and Tomb Radar - both series which are just completely black holes in history with games. Have no idea why I never have gotten around to playing either!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2014, 07:06:20 PM »
Prince of Persia and Tomb Radar - both series which are just completely black holes in history with games. Have no idea why I never have gotten around to playing either!

On Tomb Raider, it doesn't really matter where you start, though Tomb Raider Legend - Anniversary - Underworld form a loose trilogy and share a game engine, so Legend might be your best bet.

With Prince of Persia, definitely start with Sands of Time. There's quite a lot you won't understand in the two follow-ups, especially Two Thrones if you don't play that one first.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »
Never played that Prince of Persia, but I did enjoy Sands of Time
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2014, 07:13:27 PM »

Sands of Time is great but I personally loved the 2008 PoP the best.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: July 13, 2014, 07:22:02 PM »

Sands of Time is great but I personally loved the 2008 PoP the best.

Yeah... no. I liked the art style, but pretty much everything sucked, imho. Though I did like the ending.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: July 13, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »
To be fair, those are the only two I've played. But I tend to like things that are shitty anyway. So it's all good. :tup

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: July 13, 2014, 08:09:40 PM »
Sands of Time is definitely the best IMO. Just adore that game. But I enjoy them all to some degree. Except the early one.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #219 on: July 13, 2014, 08:13:58 PM »
Controversially, my favorite is Warrior Within (the order being WW-SoT-TTT).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #220 on: July 13, 2014, 09:20:14 PM »
Never played any TR, but I bought the PoP trilogy from Costco a couple years ago - all three games for $18.  Only got around to a couple of hours into Sands of Time (I think that's the first?)  Cool game, but I got sidetracked with others.  Really should go back and finish it, and the rest of the trilogy.  Sadly I've got about 10 games that I've partially played, or haven't even started yet - and not enough disposable time to work on that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2014, 09:37:25 PM »
It's FPS time, baby!

17. XIII (2003)

In the first mission of the game.

Why do I love this game so? I don't know. Maybe it's because of the unique graphic style (not really unique, but certainly unique to me when I first played it), because other than that, there's not a whole lot here that separates this from other first person shooters, neither in game mechanics or in the plot (you wake up on a beach, don't remember who you are, but you have a curious tattoo on your body and the police are after you for the murder of the US president) but it's all a lot of fun. Throughout the game, you uncover a huge, world-wide conspiracy to take over the world, and go after The XX, a group of 20 conspirators in high positions helping to stage a coup. Again, an old hat. Rally, what I love most about this game is the unique art style that is closely reminscent of comic book, not only in the way things look, but also in the way things work - for instance, loud noises can be heard but also haven their visual representation on the screen via large bubble that says BOOM! or something similar; like in comic books. So if you're looking for a few hours of mindless fun and a passable plot that you honestly don't care about a lot, then you could do a whole lot worse than this game.

16. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)

During out LAN parties at boarding school, this was by far the most-played map of them all.

I think this might be the first FPS that I played, ever. Like Flatout 2, this game was a mainstay during my time at boarding school, and it was rare that a week went by without us playing a few rounds of this game via LAN. Like with XIII, there's not really anything that distinguishes this game from the large amount of other FPS games that are available (though the campaign is certainly one of the better FPS campaigns that I know of, especially that one mission where you have to sneak through a large area undetected - I'm a sucker for that kind of thing), but the insane amount of time that I poured into this game, plus it being the first FPS I played and also the only one that I stuck with for long enough to seriously become a force to reckoned with in multiplayer games will mean that this will always have a place on this list. It's also responsible for one of my proudest gaming achievements ever: killing the entire opposing teams with bullets through walls. Yeah baby!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: July 14, 2014, 09:38:15 PM »
COD 4 :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2014, 12:05:19 AM »
I think I've played one or two COD games, as I used to often play coop of different new games at my friend's house, but tbh I couldn't tell any of those FPS games apart. :lol The FPS genre just doesn't appeal to me at all, with a couple of exceptions.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2014, 05:59:29 AM »
Never heard of the first.  And CoD wasn't a game that interested me.  As an old fart, I'm not into the online modes (I suck at them), and the CoD single player stories didn't interest me.  I think it was on the 2nd or 3rd CoD when I finally got a PS3 anyway, so I didn't want to jump in mid-way through the series.

I latched on to a couple of other FPS games instead.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: July 15, 2014, 11:37:23 AM »
I'm not a big fan of CoD series, but XIII is awesome. A lot of fun indeed. :D

Also, please add me to the list of people doing these lists. It looks like I have all the time in the world to prepare, anyway. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: July 15, 2014, 03:49:03 PM »
Tomb Raider is the adventure game for puzzle enthusiasts who don't have the intelligence to actually play a puzzle-heavy game. It's got the adventure, sex appeal, action, and story of a great action flick...it can hold it's own and go above and beyond when compared to the current action movies. But it's like it dangles this puzzle in front of you and it's like "OMG CAN YOU SOLVE THIS!? I'LL BET YOU CAN'T!?" and a mentally deficient kid comes up and drools all over the puzzle and completes it in a few seconds. It was absolutely horrible in terms of molding the old with the new. You'd have to be a fucking twat to not be able to progress in that game (barring the aforementioned *sadface*).

what's a puzzle game?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2014, 04:15:02 PM »
...Um...well, a puzzle game would be something like Tetris, Bejeweled, Toki Tori...etc. But I said a puzzle-heavy game, something like the Myst series, Portal, a lot of recent indie titles like Braid. There's tons of examples of games that do puzzles well and Tomb Raider, to me, was not one of them. Not that I want TR to be as puzzle heavy as those games, but the way it presented a lot of the tombs in the game was in a puzzle-based format, you'd have to act out all these events to unlock the main treasure, etc.; so in that aspect, which is pretty heavy for a game called tomb raider, I don't think it was all that great. I still think it's an overall great new start to an old series but they need to challenge us a bit more. There were entire 'tombs' (even the latter, more complex ones) that were just way too easy and quick. I was pretty tipsy when I wrote that though so I'm not sure what my point was.  :lol I do still feel like it was more of an MGS-style 'movie-game' than anything else, however. Which isn't a bad thing at all, I adore MGS and that kind of game but it's not what I want out of Tomb Raider. Even the older games had some really interesting puzzles that reminded me of Myst but this one was more spectacle. Minor spoiler, one of the main fights is even all in one of those action-timed cinematic format...which was kind of disappointing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:27:02 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: July 15, 2014, 09:17:45 PM »
Don't you just love humour in games? I do.

15. The Secret of Monkey IslandTM (1990)

Title screen.

This is what the gameplay looks like.

Oh man, I hadn't realised how old this game is! Doesn't matter, though, 'cause it freaking awesome, and it such a way that that awesomeness still remains even now, 24 years later. Fuck the fact that the graphics suck, this game is so amazingly fun and random that you can't help but love it. It's a point-and-click puzzle game, with you playing the role of Guybrush Threepwood, who wants to be a mighty pirate and it's completely weird and completely lovable. An example of the humour in this game: to pass a bridge, you have to give something that is eye-catching, but of little worth to the troll guarding it. What does it turn out to be? A fish, of course... which under inspection is revealed to a red herring. Now, it doesn't sound that funny when explained, but trust me (and those that have played this game, back me up!), when you play it, it's completely hilarious almost from start to finish. An awe-inspiring debut to one of the best game series that I know. Just brilliant.

14. Portal (2007)

Doe this game really need an introduction? One of the most lauded puzzle games ever, with some great world building and an awesome antagonist, this game is popular for a reason, the reason being sheer awesomeness. The main principle behind this game is astoundingly simple, but throughout the game it is applied to more and more difficult scenarios, causing you to seriously think about what you are doing and to apply trial-and-error to what you are doing more than once. As you advance, precision, timing and creative thinking become more and more necessary, but the difficulty curve never feels to steep or to slow. Really, the only complaint that I have about this game is that it is really quite short - you can play through the campaign in less than 10 hours, even if you haven't played the game before. The Steam version fixes that by adding a few achievements in, including one that is insanely hard to crack, but the main story is still quite short. Still, with everything else being as awesome as it is, that's really complaining on a very very high level and should in no way be held against the brilliance of this game.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #229 on: July 15, 2014, 09:34:04 PM »
Is that XIII as in Golgo 13?  If so, what system is it for?  I don't follow any anime, but I loved the Golgo 13 games for the NES.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #230 on: July 15, 2014, 09:45:49 PM »
 :rollin Not anywhere near the same thing. It's loosely based on a comic book and is a comic-book stylized FPS.

Cool to see Portal, it deserves recognition and I really wanna see more and something fresh again (I wasn't too hot on the bouncing paint). Also awesome that Monkey Island would be on my list too but it'd be Escape for the PS2. Have you played that one? It's spectacular.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:51:06 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #231 on: July 15, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »
I think Portal is the first choice you've made that I can get behind 100% :metal They absolutely nailed the humour for that game.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: July 15, 2014, 10:07:36 PM »
:rollin Not anywhere near the same thing. It's loosely based on a comic book and is a comic-book stylized FPS.

Cool to see Portal, it deserves recognition and I really wanna see more and something fresh again (I wasn't too hot on the bouncing paint). Also awesome that Monkey Island would be on my list too but it'd be Escape for the PS2. Have you played that one? It's spectacular.

I have not played Escape from Monkey Island yet... I only know the first three (Secret, LeChuck's Revenge, Curse) but I was told that the series drops off rapidly after that so I didn't bother. Does it also exist for PC?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: July 15, 2014, 10:15:57 PM »
I like Portal but it nearly felt like a demo compared to the awesomeness of Portal 2 :metal

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #234 on: July 15, 2014, 10:16:44 PM »
Oh wow, no way, not in my eyes; I mean I haven't played any games since Escape but yes it is for PC and most publications I read back then raved over it and most of my friends did too who were even unaware of the series before that game. I loved it and while I only saw my cousin play Secret, it's still a great evolution of that kind of exposition in a new-age (back then lol) format. I thought it worked awesomely.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: July 15, 2014, 10:22:24 PM »
Two more I've never played.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #236 on: July 16, 2014, 12:14:48 AM »
Alright, time for the fogeys to chime in  ;D

Monkey Island is one of the best and funniest series in computer gaming history (besides Manic Mansion, Sam & Max and Day Of The Tentacle). I've played the first four (Secret, LeChuck's Revenge, Curse, Escape) when they came out, and while I quite liked Escape I think the first three are better. Haven't played Tales Of Monkey Island yet but heard good things about it.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: July 16, 2014, 02:52:09 PM »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #238 on: July 16, 2014, 03:17:42 PM »
The first Portal is great, but Portal 2 blows it away IMO. I did play P2 before the original though, so that could affect my opinion, but IMO it takes what was great about P1 and adds even more magic. P1 was very short in comparison, and not as challenging imo. :(

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #239 on: July 16, 2014, 04:03:05 PM »
:metal They absolutely nailed the humour for that game.
Oh yeah, GlaDOs' sarcasm is awesome, and it just gets better on P2.

I like Portal but it nearly felt like a demo compared to the awesomeness of Portal 2 :metal
Totally, the first one is a good game, but the following fells like a movie most of the time, with an excellent story. Cave Johnson's lines deserve an award, specailly that about lemons :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #240 on: July 16, 2014, 04:23:13 PM »
 :lol Yeah, I need to go back and play Portal 2 again, what a game!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: July 16, 2014, 09:27:53 PM »
Loving the appreciation for Portal. More people should pick up Monkey Island, the humour in that game is something that many people here would most definitely enjoy.

13. The Cave (2013)

The playable characters (left to right) are The Monk, The Adventurer, The Hilbilly, The Scientist, The Twins, The Knight and The Time Traveller.

Playing as The Adventurer.

This is another humour-based point-and-click game made by Ron Gilbert (the creator of the Monkey Island series), so it can only be good. What's really cool about this game is that you have to choose three characters at the beginning, out of seven, so you have to play the game at least three times to experience everything. Every player has a certain ability that is uniquely available only to him/her, like The Adventurer, who can swing across pits using her whip (like Indiana Jones), The Knight, who can make himself invincible for a short amount of time or The Hilbilly, who can hold his breath longer than the others. Another thing that's great about this game is the dark humour, and how it upsets your expectations. As The Monk, for instance, your goal is to become head monk of your order. How? You assassinate the current head monk, of course. The Hilbilly has been rejected by the love of his life, so burning down a carnival is a logical solution. The Twins are annoyed by the rules their parents impose, but don't worry, rat poison in the soup can solve that. And so on. In addition to the plot lines and the multi-faceted nature of this, the graphic style is also quite beautifully done, and each area is given an appropriately unique atmosphere. Highly recommended for anyone who likes puzzle games and weird, off-the-wall humour.

12. Rayman II: The Great Escape (1999)

Coming across the game's first of 80 Pirate Cages, in the first level, "The Woods of Light".

The first foray of the Rayman franchise into the world of 3D games is pretty damn cool. Playing as the titular, limbless hero, you have to fight off the invasion of the Robo-Pirates under the command of Admiral Razorbeard, by awakening the god Polokus, which can only be done by uniting the four masks of Polokus. The story is fairly ho-hum, but the rest more than makes up for it. The graphics are beautiful, especially considering that this game came out in 1999, it's challenging throughout, but never too hard, both the platforming and the fights here are really a lot of fun and the world-building is beautiful, no matter what it is like, an underground lava temple, a foray through the hights of the trees or an excursion to the sea, everything is beautifully designed in the way that still holds up fifteen years later. And if that's not enough, there's tons of collectibles and you can spend hours searching through the many world offered in order to find every last Lum or the final Pirate Cage. While I enjoy quite a few other entries in the Rayman series, this one is, without a doubt, my favourite of the bunch.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:20:31 PM by Scorpion »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2014, 09:31:34 PM »
Never heard of the Cave, and I've never really played much Rayman.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #243 on: July 16, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »
Lovin' this list and these write ups. Rayman 2 FOREVER! Haven't played The Cave yet but I've heard of it and will hafta check it out.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2014, 11:42:19 PM »
Never played The Cave (far too new for me), but I've played Rayman 2. I didn't get too far into it, but what I remember of it was solid. I should finish it off some time.