Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 236263 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Just catching up on your list Jingle. Love the inclusion of Assassins Creed II. For me, II and Brotherhood IS Assassin's Creed. When I think of those games, those are the two that pop into my head.

AND HOLY HELL I FORGOT ABOUT THAT DAMN TERMINATOR 2 ARCADE GAME  :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This is the first and hopefully last time I ever see this face on this forum
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Haven't followed this thread, but I just scrolled through a good chunk of it and barely a single game that is one of my favourites is on anyone's list.  :lol Plenty I've thought to myself it'd be fun to play at some point though. Assassin's Creed II, Halflife I / II, The Last of Us, Portal...

I live in a time warp though. There are a handful of games from the late 90s / early 00s that are still pretty much all I play. I'm about the laziest person ever when it comes to checking out new games. I mean, I'm currently playing the first Age of Empires for the 1000th time.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
14. The Force Unleashed / PS3

Wow, the promise of this game.  The cinematic trailers were something special, and the game engine that gave the physics/mechanics of The Force were amazing.  A very nice story – in which you actually start the game as Darth Vader, and pretty powerful.  In a raid on Kashyyk, Vader captures a child strong with the force, and raises/trains him as his apprentice.  Ultimately, Vader betrays him, and the game is spent hunting down Vader/Palpatine, with two different outcomes depending on your choice… either ending in death, or a Vader-like destruction at the hands of the Emperor (which had a nice expansion pack in that scenario).

This game had beautiful backdrops and landscapes, traveling to Kashyyk, Bespin, Felucia among others, and finishing up on the Death Star.  It gave you the ability to use the force in ways like never before, with massive force pushes, lightning (which can be used as a shield) – I loved lifting storm stroopers up, then hurling my lightsaber right thru their chest.  You could also put-together some badass combos.  There was dis-memberment, beheading, destruction of objects, Rancors, aerial manoeuvres, great costumes… a brilliant 3rd person game, all set to a Star Wars theme. 

:drool:

The sequel built upon all of this fantastically … except for the fact it was probably the shortest game I’ve ever played.  Eight levels (maybe 9… I can’t remember), and I finished it in a weekend.  SOOOOOOO incredibly disappointing. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I remember being incredibly intrigued by the trailers for this game. I liked the idea of arcade style gaming in the Star Wars universe.

And then I promptly forgot about it until seeing it on your list! It's only $20.00 on Steam...I may need to give it a go.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Shadows of the Empire on N64 is the only Star Wars game I've owned or played for any real length of time. This looks and sounds like an excellent installment though. I think there were like three made for the SNES and I really wanna get to those eventually too.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Eh, it was okay
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
I got that game recently for PS3, I've been meaning to try it out.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline HarlequinForest

edit: whoops thought this was the main video game thread for a min.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
13. Forbidden Forest / Commodore 64

Time to alienate Rich and anyone under the age of 40 yet again.  Actually, this is probably one of the more obscure C64 games. 

Not a lot to this one – you’re a an archer roaming through a forest looking for all sorts of demons and monsters to kil.  It’s a bi-directional side-scrolling game with four different difficulty levels - Innocent, Trooper, Daredevil and Crazy which determine the number and speed of the monsters.

Five or six levels that included spiders (falling blobs really – it was centipede revisited), dragons, banshee/skeletons, a big-ass serpent, and the final boss “Demogorgon”.  This was one of the first games to use blood, and also had a day/night-time setting.  Death was accompanied by your enemies descending upon you to mange on your corpse.  Once you cleared a level, the archer did a dumb-ass little dance, and the jingle to go along with it is stuck in my head to this day. 

This one required about 30 minutes – with a lot of patience necessary, as you had to hit most enemies in a certain spot - arrows would go right thru the skeletons, and the banshee had to be hit in a certain spot in the hood.  The final boss was tough, as the demon was only visible during lightning strikes – it took a lot of guessing, and usually dumb luck to hit that fucker in the spot that would kill him. 

Most games ended with this mofo coming down and gobbling you up:

Gameplay for a giggle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j86veyiIcS8.  DAT MIDI MUSIC!!!!  :metal
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Scrolling backgrounds, day/night cycle, multi channel music, AW SHIT YEAH.

Nope, sorry. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Never heard of it, but it looks interesting. It's rather impressive graphically for a C64 game.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Oh man, I remember that one. Fun little game with a creepy atmosphere and for that time pretty violent.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I had a f*ckton of C-64 games and I never saw this one before.  Wow.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
The C in C-64 stands for Canada since I've never seen it before. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I've never played that but it looks fucking fun.   :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
When the banshee dies, it sounds creepy. Itd scare me if played that in the dark
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Just watched the video and listened tot he music again. Ah, the memories  ;D

This game needs a serious remake and then Uwe Boll could make a cheap and terrible movie out of it.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
12. Crysis II / PS3

This is my preferred 1st person shooter franchise.  Never tried CoD (believing that it’s more geared to multi-player), and Battlefield is fun (but pretty quick).  This franchise is fan-fucking-tastic.  The first one was kinda short, so this sequel scratched me right where I itched, with a much bigger playground.  Although not exactly open world, it was another game whose main quest was plenty big on its own, with the odd hidden gem here and there to explore.

In 2023, an alien infestation has taken over New York, which becomes the playground for this game.  You’re a Marine with a Nanosuit (which gives abilities such as cloaking, speed, different vision modes, and armor), tasked to destroy the Ceph (aliens) while avoiding the private military, because they think you have been infected by the alien virus – which the suit partially has been … but it’s really absorbing some alien tissue to give you additional abilities.  It’s a fairly typical shooter game, with varying weapons, targets, missions, allies, enemies etc… The short of the story line is that you have to make your way through a destroyed NYC, navigating the ‘urban jungle’ on ground, or through buildings.  The final mission is to destroy the alien spire before a nuclear bomb is dropped on Manhattan.  There’s a shit ton of death and destruction along the way – Grand Central Station in ruins, collapse of high-rise buildings, Central Park being pulled out of the ground, which gives for some pretty intense cutscenes.

Crysis 3 provided some enhancements (namely stealth weaponry – a bow), but didn’t give me the same sense of expansiveness that the sophomore edition did.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes, yes! *Ace Ventura pelvic thrust*

Now, we've hit the big time! I loved this game (even though I never finished it) and it's predecessor (which I completed multiple times). Both had their pluses but this one is better for one reason and one reason only.

Kicking cars into your enemies! That's right kids, go screaming toward the alien scum in speed mode, veer off toward a trashed car, switch to strength mode and kick that fucker into their grill. Muuuuuahahahahaha.

Seriously though, great game and the heavy armor mode was very visceral. Somehow the transferred the feeling of being heavy and tough to the screen really well.

Great choice.  :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Solid FPS game.  The second Crysis is actually the only one of the series I played.  I enjoyed one play through but never came back to it.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
Looks pretty interesting.
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
The Crysis games have been on my radar for a while, but as I'm not the biggest FPS fan they are perpetually on the back burner.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't know why I haven't followed any of this thread yet.  Don't know many of Chad's games.  I was a sega baby.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
The Crysis games have been on my radar for a while, but as I'm not the biggest FPS fan they are perpetually on the back burner.

I was like that too for the longest time.  I think Crysis 1 (I rented it) was the first FPS game I ever took a go at.  Loved it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Can your PC handle it?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Crysis used to be thing thing I benchmarked my new PC builds but I did enjoy them as FPS games, not my favorite but they certainly weren't bad.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
So late to the party, but huge overlap in gaming experience, Chad, going back to Mattel football.  I had that white model, and remember being jealous of those with the green version,  which including passing.  I just got caught up, and am basking in nostalgia.  After the C64, I have remained hidden away in the PC gaming world for decades.  I did have the WII to play with the kids, but just bought a PS4 a couple of months ago.  Looking forward to the rest!  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry for the pause here folks... rough weekend, and I'm now traveling for business.  If I get a chance, I'll try to fire one off when I have some hotel room down-time.  If not, Friday we'll get back at this.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
And we're back... Thanks for waiting patiently - dog issues, work trip, and then me getting sick as shit put a crimp into this.

11. Raid on Bungeling Bay / Commodore 64

Probably the most interesting thing about this game is – and I didn’t know this until researching for this thread - that this was the first game designed by Will Wright – who is the mastermind behind the Sims franchise, designing the very first Sim City and The Sims.

RoBB was a top-view 3rd person helicopter game, where you are roaming around the playing field (Bungeling Bay) searching for six factories scattered across islands (building WMDs no doubt!) and bombing them to destruction.  The helicopter had two attacked (because that’s our joysticks only had 1 button back then) – machine gun for air-to-air combat, and if you held the trigger for 2 seconds, you dropped a bomb.  Your helicopter was launched (and repaired) from a roaming aircraft carrier, where you could also reload your bombs (I think you could only hold 10 at a time, and it took 6 to destroy a factory).  There was a scale-out map available PIP to chart where you were, but finding that last factory was always a bitch. Destroying the first factory alerted the “Bungeling Empire” to your presence, and you then had to fend off escalating counterattacks by gun turrets, fighter jets, and guided missiles.  Plus, the Empire was also building a battleship that would go out and destroy your aircraft carrier, so you had to be mindful of the progress on that as well.

On the above shot, the blue "L" shaped thing is the factory you have to destroy; the 'sword' thing is the gun turret defending it, and the white-ish thing along the river is you, the helicopter.  Below is the battleship that slowly builds throughout the game.

Interestingly, as a pre-cursor to Sim City, Wright designed the factories would grow and develop new technologies to use against the player, and if you left them too long, you were completely overwhelmed by the enemy forces.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Glad your back! Hope you and your dog are better!

Another game I haven't played but love the write up

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Welcome back, Chad.

Yeah, yet another game that our experience doesn't overlap. It does sound like great fun though.

Hey, ReaperKK, you may wish to read this: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=38548.msg2111910#msg2111910

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Your epic return does not disappoint, Chad.

I've never heard of it. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Not to worry chaps... my Top 10 only has one C64 game - everything else is either pretty modern, or a complete classic everyone knows.