Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 236274 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
It's too recent for me to know anything about.

Well, let me help you out...

16. Super Sprint / Arcade

I didn’t play a lot of racing games, and certainly note a lot of 1st person racing games.  This was a top-down non-scrolling game, and pits 4 cars to complete 3 laps of the course – there were probably a dozen different tracks.  The machine had three stations for drivers – each color coded to your car with a steering wheel, and foot accelerator.  Occasionally, wrenches appeared on the track, and with 3 of them, you could exchanged them for upgrades of better traction, higher top speed, or faster acceleration. 

The winning driver got to move on to the next race without losing a life.  Successive levels brought tougher conditions, better Drone cars, obstacles like oil slicks, gates that opened/closed, and tornadoes.  If you crashed and exploded, a helicopter would come zipping across the screen to drop a new car onto the track.  The best was when you were playing on your own, or with ONE other player for a while - the opposing Drone cars were just as fast as you (after a number of 'upgrades... so it wasn't too easy for you), and then a new player dropped a coin in the slot.  The opposing Drone cars had to essentially be as weak/slow as the newest player.  Made winning real easy when you had 4x speed or acceleration over the noob player!  Of course, that also proved a challenge when you were THAT driver ... and very satisfying when your shit-quality car beat those with a bunch of upgrades already.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I remember playing this as a kid in arcades.  This was a really fun game! Also from a non racing game fan.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I liked the old racing games. Excitebike is probably still my favorite. Either that or the original Mario Kart.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I played something similar to this on the NES, but I don't remember what it was called.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
There were a variety of off-shoots.  I remember Off Road
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
That sounds really fun! I wish I had run into it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Was that the one that looks almost the exact same but with monster trucks?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

On dirt tracks!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
That looks like it. :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni

On dirt tracks!

This was the go to game at a local arcade. If I remember correctly there were 4 steering wheels for 4 player support.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I remember playing that game at places like Chuckie Cheese and Peter Pipers
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

On dirt tracks!

This was the go to game at a local arcade. If I remember correctly there were 4 steering wheels for 4 player support.

it was three steering wheels plus the computer controlled a truck

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41605.msg1845918#msg1845918
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
15. Terminator 2:Judgment Day / Arcade

In 1990/91, I probably dropped more on this game than any other.  The challenge was you really needed a second player to get thru the final battles.  It could easily take $5-$10 to defeat this fuckin game, it was so hard.

This is a side scrolling game, where you are shooting in 1st person at your enemy targets.  The first levels are set in 2029, and you’re a re-programmed T-800 trying to infiltrate Skynet.  Once you do so, you’re sent back in time and follow the storyline of T2 and tasked to keep John and Sarah Connor alive (naturally).

The final battle against the T-1000, you had to continually reload your shotgun shells (which fell from the screen, and by “reload” I mean you had to shoot them) while trying to attack the T-1000.  When its health got low enough, you then had to shoot at a falling grenade launcher (to capture that weapon), and fire that at the T-1000… and you only had a couple of seconds to do so - because the T-1000 (just like the movie) kept regenerating its health.  Fuck it was tough – and virtually impossible if you didn’t have a partner giving you cover.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Never played this one. I did have the NES T2 game though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I remember playing this in arcades as a little kid and hating it because it was too difficult.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I've played the port of it (either SNES or Genesis or both, can't remember), and found it pretty boring. I'm sure it's a lot better with the arcade gun though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
One of the few arcade games I played more than once. In fact I played it a lot with a friend, it was fun but it was tough. We never made it to the end.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I keep hoping that our game history will overlap some. So far, not.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
One of the few arcade games I played more than once. In fact I played it a lot with a friend, it was fun but it was tough. We never made it to the end.

I think I finished it once.  Went in with a roll of quarters (and and a buddy with the same), and we agreed we were going right thru to the end.  I think I saw it finished one other time as well.  It was brutally hard.

I keep hoping that our game history will overlap some. So far, not.

I'm as surprised about this as you are - though I thnk we've got close to 10 years difference, so there's that.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I will say, I love that you are including Arcade games. Some of the best memories I have with my mates is shooting pool, playing video games, and making-out with girls in the parking lot of "The Farmer's Daughter". Just seeing the machines in this thread invokes a "good times" feeling.

:tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I will say, I love that you are including Arcade games. Some of the best memories I have with my mates is shooting pool, playing video games, and making-out with girls in the parking lot of "The Farmer's Daughter". Just seeing the machines in this thread invokes a "good times" feeling.

:tup

Cool.  You should sign up - I'd love to see your list.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll think about it. I'm not sure I could even put a list together, but it might be interesting to try.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll think about it. I'm not sure I could even put a list together, but it might be interesting to try.

Pictures of games that old don't exist, eh?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
It's difficult to author an exciting description of rolling a stone around with two sticks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
It's difficult to author an exciting description of rolling a stone around with two sticks.

:crypt:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
*sigh*

I'll get my coat.

Offline Cable

In for the Super Sprint love. I played the Super Off Road variant in arcade form (EXACT machine), and home ports on NES and SNES. I played the heck out of the game, and loved the style. Despite some cheating by the CPU in the home ports, it overall was lots of fun.

I've played the port of it (either SNES or Genesis or both, can't remember), and found it pretty boring. I'm sure it's a lot better with the arcade gun though.

I get that. I'm guessing the series Lethal Enforcers has a home port. Yet I cannot imagine playing that game without the foot pedal to duck/reload. So the same probably goes for T2, with using that massive rifle. I would almost think playing a home port without a peripheral is like playing DuckHunt without the LightGun. That game probably blows without it, and it becomes entertaining for 5-10 minutes with it.
---

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Agreed.  I couldn't imagine the appeal of T2 without the actual machine gun.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Gun games are all about the input. Without the skill of manually aiming, it takes half the fun out of it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Gun games are all about the input. Without the skill of manually aiming, it takes half the fun out of it.

We're still talking video games, right?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

You tell me.....

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
 :lol

I remember thinking how expensive that terminator game was to play.  I was already becoming an old man.

"I will not pay more than a quarter for an arcade game"!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni

I remember thinking how expensive that terminator game was to play.  I was already becoming an old man.

Do these games even exist anymore? Whats the going rate on an arcade game?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Do these games even exist anymore? Whats the going rate on an arcade game?

There is an arcade by me, it's exclusively old school games.  You pay by 15minutes, get a wrist band and play any game you want so no more quarters. 

Some places along the NJ boardwalk have arcades and newer games.  Games cost around a dollar to play.