Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 236147 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
And finally, welcome to the 2000's

20. Deus Ex: Human Revolution / PS3

It took me a long time to decide to play this game, as I wasn’t too enthralled of the idea of a mixed first/third player mode.  With an absolutely killer theatrical trailer, and getting it on the cheap on Boxing Day a couple of years ago, I decided to chance it.  The first handful of hours took a lot of paying attention to with the different modes around Stealth, Combat, Hacking and Social.   Strategy to get the right augmentations (as that is what this whole franchise and dystopian is about is about - human augmentations and the social/political/economic ramifications) for the right mode or scenario.  The plot is incredible, travelling globally with different actual cities providing the backdrop in a very dark and gritty way.  It wasn’t a completely open-world, but it was more than big enough..  It’s also a dynamic story with multiple endings depending on the choices you make.  I remember the first boss fight (Barrett) was one hard and frustrating mother-fucker to kill – you had to constantly run and hide and pick your spot to attack from. 

And of course, the absolutely brilliant trailer
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Agreed about it being just the right level of openness - open world games serve a different sort of purposes, whereas for something that has such a strong, focussed narrative, that just wouldn't work. But there was enough freedom to explore. Amazing game, one of my favourites!

Really looking forward to Mankind Divided as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
re Mankind Divided... Top 3 anticipation level for this year.

See... I told you there'd be a few gems for you!   :)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Finished this one some months ago. Excellent plot, and game overall  :hefdaddy

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I once tried to play a Deus Ex game demo once back in 2000. I don't think I had space to install it. This is my total experience with this franchise. :lol

I think I shall finally ask to be put on the waiting list for my own list.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've been dying to play Deus Ex HR ever since it came out because I loved the original Deus Ex.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
19. Beach Head I II / Commodore 64

Was it Gregg that dropped mention of this game earlier?  Many hours were spent replicating the Faulkland Island war carefully navigating my fleet into doing battle with the enemy, aiming my Destroyer’s guns at oncoming aircraft (praying I didn’t run out of ammunition), then hoping I got the range right before they did with the heavy duty artillery.  Then navigating the tank field, and taking out that bunker.  It was always gratifying when you could get it with only two tanks.  There wasn't a lot of depth to this, and once you knew what to do, the AI on the computer wasn't too sharp.  You just had to wash/rinse/repeat.  Still pretty fun stuff.

Beach Head II brought a little more to the table – albeit still only four levels to complete.  This time, the battle is more around individual military personal battle, and the screams of “Medic” and “I’m hit!” as the enemy pulverized you with heavy machine guns.  The final, 10 round, knife throwing duel was a favourite of mine, and something that was pretty easy to defeat.  “You can’t hurt me!”

Beach Head II gameplay

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
<C> 1983

I was a sperm in my Dad's testicle still.

As for Deus Ex, I never played the first one, but I really enjoyed the 2nd.  I also look forward to the new one coming out.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Was it Gregg that dropped mention of this game earlier?

Twernt me, old son. I've never played it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Was it Gregg that dropped mention of this game earlier?

Twernt me, old son. I've never played it.

Right... a quick look back to page 53 confirms it was Kwiji.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I never played that game. I need to investigate!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"Medic!"  Hahahaha!  I had long forgotten where that came from, but every now and then, that line has popped into my head at comedicly-appropriate moments.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
"Medic!"  Hahahaha!  I had long forgotten where that came from, but every now and then, that line has popped into my head at comedicly-appropriate moments.  :lol

By any chance, was it Starcraft? I remember that.
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
No, it was Beach Head II - https://youtu.be/efXtNbUONig?t=150

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
18. Tetris / Arcade

The thinking man’s video game.  Not really a lot to say here.  Everyone’s played this.  It has made a bunch of lists already.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
 :metal

I love that game. My father turned me on to that game back when we got our first computer so many years ago. I would play for hours and hours.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
I'm not sure if generational gap has anything to do with this, but I've never played Tetris in my life.

If you thought that was a lie....you are correct.
I have played it once or twice, but it wasn't my childhood favorite.
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I played this on the Nintendo DS for weeks at a time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cable

There was a study I recently read, not sure if it is new or older, that Tetris increases intellectual ability and/or helps with neurocognitive disorder (aka dementia).
---

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I've never played an arcade version of Tetris, but the original Gameboy version got a lot of play in my household.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
There was a study I recently read, not sure if it is new or older, that Tetris increases intellectual ability and/or helps with neurocognitive disorder (aka dementia).

Lots of different activities that use the mind are supposed to help with that kind of thing, so I don't doubt this.

Is there anyone in this thread who hasn't played some form of Tetris or one of its 1 million clones? If you haven't, you've probably missed out on a lot of things in life.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Ok this is an oldie that I definitely appreciate. I used to find this game so insanely addictive, and yet it's just so simple.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've never played an arcade version of Tetris, but the original Gameboy version got a lot of play in my household.

Gameboy and NES were how I played.

I do have it on my phone though, but rarely play.  It is still fun.  It's a timeless classic if you ask me.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I played it, of course. Mostly on PC but I think the kids had a version of it on NES too that I probably tried a few times. It was fun, but not really my thing.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
The Game Boy version of Tetris might be one of my first gaming experiences.  :metal (Unless some NES game made it before.) My mum used to borrow (steal...) my Game Boy just so she could play it. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
17. Assasins Creed II / PS3

Building on the incredibly innovative story from the opener in the franchise, this one opened the world up, made up for some frustrations (thank you for that goddamned horse and fast travel!), and added some other neat little features like swimming, eagle vision while moving, and Leonardo Da Vinci provides some enhanced 1500th century tech.  With an incredibly complex combat system, lots of main and side missions (with both day and night-time cycles), this gave countless hours of exploration, and different attempts to win your battles.

Beautiful scenery (I remember reading an online blog/article somewhere at the time that someone roamed around in the game for their grandma, so she got a chance to visit Tuscany and Florence, and "visit" some of the famous landmarks), engaging characters, seamless combat with smart AI, and a very interesting storyline are all the elements that I look for in a great game.  It was all right here.  I never did play III, even though jingle.son did.  I might give it a go sometime, but with mixed reviews there, I think I’ll just hang on to my memories of the sophomore entry in the franchise.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Black Flag is the only AC game I've played. I liked it well enough, but even with the addition of the naval gameplay I thought it was incredibly reptitive and the story never captured my interest in the slightest (I thought there was a lot of untapped potential given the setting, so it was rather disappointing). I didn't even finish the main storyline in it before getting bored, and this doesn't look like a series with a lot of variety in it, so I haven't bothered playing any other AC games as a result.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I thought it was incredibly reptitive

This was what people told me after playing the first one and it actually prevented me from ever playing any of the AC games.  I know they are very popular so maybe I should try one especially since I got BF for free with my xbox1, but I probably won't be playing it anytime soon.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've only played AC: Black Flag and I've always wanted to go back and play the other AC games. My brother told me the first game was garbage but the second game was a lot of fun.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
Too bad my parents don't allow me to play those kind of games.
They say that it: "Messes with my brain and will cause me to do violent acts."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

That's a lie. I played a ton of GTA growing up, and I never killed anyone. Sure, I smacked around a hooker or two, especially when she was hogging all of the coke that I paid for using the money I earned from robbing that corner store, but who hasn't done that at some point?

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken

That's a lie. I played a ton of GTA growing up, and I never killed anyone. Sure, I smacked around a hooker or two, especially when she was hogging all of the coke that I paid for using the money I earned from robbing that corner store, but who hasn't done that at some point?
:lol :lol :lol :lol
Typical Korean parents. They flip the heck out if they ever catch me playing those games, no matter how much I say that it won't hurt me at all.
And the hooker story  :rollin :rollin
can't stop laughing.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5

Always been a Team Fortress 2 line in my head.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Always been a Team Fortress 2 line in my head.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
It's too recent for me to know anything about.