Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 236465 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
+1 to the Tomb Raider reboot love, that game was SICK.  Great visuals and game play while keeping some of the old feel there, but just modernizing it... and doing a good job at it.  I can't wait for the sequel to make its way to PC.

Offline adace

Absolutely love TR 2013 although I like the new one even more.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
16. Mario Kart Double Dash (2003)

The Mario Kart series has always been fun, especially with a group of people! Now with 8 games under it's belt, Mario Kart has endured many changes like going to from 2D to 3D, motion controls, and the removal of fan favorite characters. I played 7 out 8 of these games (Never had access to a DS), and for me, my favorite one is the best one. Double Dash gives you a double dash of fun. Two characters. One vehicle. It's the most technical Mario Kart game, as you try to find the right combo of heavy/medium/light drivers. Each driver has their own set of special weapons at that. I'm glad that this fantastic game is the only one that has this concept, but it's also insane none of the other Mario Karts after it has attempted it.

Double Dash has some of the best courses in my opinion. The crazy Baby Park. A four player Baby Park was absolutely nuts. Other original courses like DK Montain and Mushroom Bridge just elevated the games well-designed, fast-paced, insanely fun multiplayer action.

15. Donkey Kong Country (1994)

Donkey Kong Country is one of the most graphically impressive games of the entire SNES catalogue. On a 16 bit system, you got rendered 3D models and very detailed character animations set in a lush jungle background. You can still pick up this game today and still be impressed by it. I remember playing nothing like back in the 90s.

The gameplay is basic, yet incredibly fun. Donkey Kong is on a quest to get back his bananas that was stolen by some bad crocs, and along the way he is accompanied by Diddy Kong. You can also switch between the two Kongs at any time in order to take advantage of Diddy’s speed and higher jumps or Donkey’s strength and more powerful attacks. Every level has its own unique mechanics like rope-swinging, deep-sea diving, blasting between barrels or charging underground on a mine cart. It never felt repetitive.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Two more great picks! :tup

You can't go wrong with any Mario Kart, and DD is great fun when you're playing with someone else.
Donkey Kong Country is also one of my favourites, although DKC2 improved upon it in every way imo (and we'll forget that DKC3 even exists).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Haven't played either of those games. I think the only time I touched a DK was on the SNES.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
DKC is classic. :metal

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
DD is one of my least favorite Mario Karts. I greatly prefer the way the entries from MKDS onwards handle; DD doesn't feel tight (?) enough.

I never played more than a few hours of the classic DKCs, though I love Retro's newer entries. I'll definitely have to give them a proper runthrough someday.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Accelerando

14. God of War III (2010)

I love me some Greek mythology. I took a Greek mythology class in college for shits and giggles because I love it so much. So my buddy about 5 years ago handed me God of War, and I had an outrageous amount of fun with it...even though that Tower of Blades was absolute RAGE.

Fuck that Tower.

The God of War games truly depicted the quasi violence in Greek Mythology. As loose as these adaptations were, it was still interesting to see how characters would be incorporated, and if possible, how they would meet their end in the hands of Kratos, who to me, hands down, is one of the greatest video game characters ever. The beautiful set pieces were also a huge appeal. The same year I played both God of War and God of War II, God of War III was released. As much I loved the previous God of War games, I LOVED God of War III  even more.

God of War III is one of the best pure action games I ever played. It's way more brutal than the previous two games by a large margin. It's rated Mature with a capitol M. Kratos is always surrounded by enemies, and we gotta use our area attacks more often. I like that the additional weapons you pick up are good in any situation, and that your magic is tied with each weapon. The scope of the some of the scene you play through are absolutely breathtaking. Kratos never looked better. It's the most cinematic God of War game at that.

13. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2007)

Speaking of cinematics, here's one of the great cinematic games of all time. I site Uncharted as the sole game to truly get back into gaming. The entire series are some of the most fun you'll ever have playing a game (Yes, even Uncharted 3 with all its flaws). Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is the total package: A great story, fantastic gameplay, a sweeping score, and breathtaking visuals. If Batman: Arkham Asylum makes you feel like Batman, then Uncharted makes you feel like Indiana Jones. In fact, Uncharted is the Indiana Jones game LucasArts never made. While it's not an Indiana Jones game, the influence is impeccable.

To me, what makes a great cinematic game great is that you are not watching the story unfold before you, but rather, you are playing through it. The characterization of Nathan Drake, Sully, and Elena progresses as you fight pirates and discover the treasures of Sir Francis. You fight by ducking, rolling, climbing, and popping out firing weapons at your enemies. It doesn't feel like a chore at any moment. It's The game is fast paced and exciting.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
To me, what makes a great cinematic game great is that you are not watching the story unfold before you, but rather, you are playing through it.

Precisely.  Fantastic game/franchise.  Soooooo looking forward to #4.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Two games I've played to death, followed by two games that not only have I never played, but never even played the console they come from. :P

Goes to show the nice diversity of this list. I'm enjoying it so far. :tup

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I'd probably play those Uncharted games if they were on PC, I just don't have enough incentive to get a PS3/4 yet. Maybe in a few years.

Offline Randaran

I love God of War III; it barely missed my own top list.

As for Uncharted, I prefer the second. I played the absolute shit out of its online modes when it came out; it's a shame that most players abandoned it for MW2 a few months later. I can see why someone would prefer the first, but it was too monotonous for me. Most areas in the game look exactly the same, and the much needed variety came too late. The sequel improved on the original in almost every way, both visually and in terms of gameplay, to make an even better game.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Outcrier

Love some GoW (the two first appeared in my top 25). Unfortunately, never had a PS3, so no GoW III for me  :-\
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline TL

The Uncharted games are games that, on paper, I should absolutely love. The idea of playing through an Indiana Jones type adventure is right up my alley.
Having gotten through all of them though, I just never really enjoy how they actually play.

The production is certainly through the roof, and there's obviously something there based on how many people absolutely love those games. They're just not for me though.

I did absolutely love The Last of Us though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Donkey Kong Country / Diddy's Kong Quest

Donkey Kong Country 3

Tropical Freeze - what a shit game that was.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
the only DKC I've played thus far was Returns on 3DS which was... kinda bad
it sounds like tropical freeze isn't any better though, blah
got them both free from club nintendo rewards at least

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I haven't played Tropical Freeze, but Returns is excellent from what I've played (except the motion control which isn't a problem emulated or on 3DS).

Offline adace

GoW 3 is fantastic, one of my favorite Playstation games. Uncharted 1 is good but U3 is my favorite in the series.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

catching up -- Double Dash! If not for MK8, that one probably would have made my list. Good times playing that one.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Accelerando

12. Goldeneye 007 (1997)

Let's face it. Most video games based off of movies are bad. I mean, really bad. Blues Brothers 2000. The Karate Kid. Catwoman. Enter The Matrix. Most of them are just quick cash cows. But there are a few exceptions, including one that has influenced an entire generation of gamers. Anyone rocking an N64 in the 90s more than likely would have a copy of Goldeneye 007 on them. It's one of the most iconic and respected games ever. Without Goldeneye, we would not have Halo and Call of Duty. It is the very first First Person Shooter game to make it from PC to Console, and it was huge success. Lots of late nights were spent with friends with this game, and lots of memories too.

One of the most impressive things about this game, especially for it's time, was the AI. The enemies would react and shoot at you when Bond made a sound, which was something almost unheard of at it's time. Also, famously, grabbing their crotch when being shot in the marbles. The multiplayer aspect of this game is where many memories were made. The split screen
in multi-player death match was so well done and effective. It influenced our current staples of FPS games such respawn points and head shots. It was the golden standard. Also, imagine how many friendships would still be going strong if they didn't have the Odd Job option  :lol

11. The Walking Dead: Season 1 (2012)

I haven't played many Telltale games (although that will be fixed with this new Batman game they are developing), but the only one I did play, The Walking Dead: Season 1, it immersed me in a way I did not expect. It's not a traditional game play, but it incorporated a major element that I've always wanted from a game: Storytelling. The story fully developed the characters along the way with a unique choice driven game. In most choice driven games, there is a right way and a wrong way. In The Walking Dead, there is no right way or a wrong way when shooting a child turned into a zombie or stealing supplies in order to survive. It never pretends to be anything less than cruel, creating a very depressing and horrifying game as it is remarkable and beautiful.

The Walking Dead is more focused on what you do than how you do it, which is why the point and click gameplay works very effectively. It makes you feel like you are a part of this world with the decision making, and it plays an integral part in crafting the world. The game incorporates incredible strong writing and  phenomenal voice acting that compliments the narrative. It hard not to feel compassion for any of the characters. Your actions have an impact not just on the events that you encounter, but in how people treat you. If you don't back up a character, that character might not back you up in later events. The Walking Dead is a great, well thought out game. I only hope that if The Walking Dead ever makes it on the big screen, that it's adapted from this game. This story of reflecting the reality of life must be told.

Also, I don't know anything that is worse than the look that Clementine gives you if you make a decision she doesn't like  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Yeah TWDS1 is still the best telltale thing I've played. S2 was nowhere near as good though it was alright at least.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I didn't recognize Goldeneye because the screen wasn't divided into 4 mini-screens.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Goldeneye 007 :metal

Not familiar with anything TWD
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didn't recognize Goldeneye because the screen wasn't divided into 4 mini-screens.

And also because that screenshot clearly isn't from Goldeneye 64. :lol
Probably from either Goldeneye Source or the remake that was on Wii/360.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

:lol I literally looked at that picture and thought it looked way better than I remember.

Anyway, +1 for Goldeneye, great game.  Never played TWD games, but heard many good things.  If my gaming time were infinite I would have played them, or at least tried them out.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I started TWD some time ago but haven't finished yet, because I didn't find the time. It's not your typical adventure game, more like an interactive movie but a lot of fun nonetheless.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Accelerando

Damn it, I thought it looked too posh  :lol

10. L.A. Noire (2011)

I'm only familiar with a few Rockstar Games, such as Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption, but from what I gather they generally always create great concepts with environments that are second to none. L.A. Noire is unique in allowing me to be a part of this 1940's neo-noire crime tale, and does something that I've seen before in video games. The only complaints I have this game is that it is repetitive with the crime solving, but the narrative, gameplay, atmosphere, and especially the music overshadow my only gripe. While there are car chases and gun fights, it's different experience because of a slow pace, even meditative, crime solving element that is core of this game. The focus isn't on how good you are at scoring headshots with a pistol but instead your ability to read a suspect's face and determine if he or she is telling the truth, holding something back, or flat out lying.

The facial expressions and voice acting are absolutely on point. Every wrinkle, twitch, downward glance, grimace, and hard swallow is from an actual actor playing a part using this amazing technology. With it, you have pick up on the facial ticks and eye darting to detect inconsistencies in testimony. You really have to pay attention, and have the clues to help you determine whether the person you are interrogating is telling the truth, lie, or doubt. Some of the lying is completely obvious, while others you have to pay attention to the mannerisms, like is someone's mouth thinning or are their eyes looking away. L.A. Noire isn't all about badgering people.  There are more action oriented missions in this is still an open-world game. You're free to deviate from a case and explore the faithfully recreated 1947 Los Angeles. You can't run wild like in Grand Theft Auto, for every civilian killed and property damage will have an effect on you ranking up in the LAPD. This a very immersive world Rockstar has created.

9. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2010)

I am a HUGE fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise. So much that you didn't see any of them early in my list just for the sake of variety, or else I would have listed maybe 2 more of these games. There are some stinkers in the franchise, such as AC: Unity and AC III, but there are other that are masterful open world goodness, like Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Brotherhood is the third game overall, but the second game in the Ezio saga that started with Assassin's Creed II and ends with Revelation. It takes place in the Italian Renaissance. While Assassin's Creed II took big steps from the original Assassin's Creed game with new mechanics, new setting, and variety in the gameplay, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood had a much harder task as it was still set in the same time period. However, what makes Brotherhood  distinguish itself from the excellent Assassin's Creed II are the secondary mission goals, and the ability to call upon a guild of Assassins at your disposal.

Just like the previous games before it,  you’ll spend most of the game climbing huge, medieval buildings, free-running across rooftops and slaughtering roving packs of guards as you chase down the game’s story missions. However in Brotherhood, the fights have been retooled with a few new moves. You spend some time riding on horseback, and you can even attack from the horse. Brotherhood introduced a crucial spec in the Assassin's Creed games which is the ability to switch your attention from one attacker to the other, especially after you killed someone. At a certain point of the game, you’ll earn the ability to recruit Assassins by helping out citizens the guards are harassing. These recruits can then be trained, starting out as weak apprentices and gradually earning experience until they’ve become top notch fighters.  You then can call on up to six of them at virtually any time to swarm your enemies like raptors, or to just take out every onscreen baddie at once with a hail of arrows. To earn experience for your recruits, you’ll need to send them on timed missions. This concept has been used in AC Black Flag and Rogue, only with ships!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Brotherhood was the pinnacle of the series for me. Revelations was a slight step down, didn't enjoy 3 and I got bored of Black Flag pretty quickly so I've pretty much given up on the series. It's a shame because I used to really love it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have LA Noire that I picked up in a sale. I didn't really think that it was my type of game but I was wrong, it was a blast.

I've only every played one AC game and that was Black Flag and that was a stellar game, those ships. . . . .

Offline Randaran

I've played the most recent GTA titles, but never touched Noire. I may have to give it a try one day. As for AC, the only one I played was III. I didn't like it, so I never bothered with the earlier titles.

Tropical Freeze - what a shit game that was.

wut

Offline Outcrier

Prefer II over Brotherhood but no wrong going with either of the two, they're the pinnacle of the series  :tup

As for AC, the only one I played was III. I didn't like it, so I never bothered with the earlier titles.

Probably because you started with the worst one  ;D
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've played the most recent GTA titles, but never touched Noire. I may have to give it a try one day.

Same here, I played all GTAs and RDR, I remember when this game came out I thought it could be really good since I like these Rockstar games, but honestly felt the whole crime thing *might* not be for me and since I didn't know anyone who played just figured I wouldn't pay the money for the game and then totally forgot about it.  Maybe I should go back and revisit.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
not into GTA-style games but i am totally into mystery games and detective games and L.A. Noire is pretty good
though i remember there being a lot of car chases that i got tired of
a lot of car chases

Offline Accelerando

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and New Years! Time to get back at it, and what better game to list first in 2016 than....

8. Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)

Be yourself. Unless you can be Batman, then you should be Batman. Kicking off the widely popular game franchise based on arguably DC Comics greatest character, Batman: Arkham Asylum is the game that let's you be Batman. It has been hard to translate this character into the video game format (Batman: Return of the Joker,  The Adventures of Batman and Robin for example) because he doesn't have super powers. With Arkham Asylum, Rocksteady has figured out the perfect formula for gamers to be able to utilize Batman's physical and mental abilities. It's a third person game where you get to move and hide in the shadows, use gadgets, fight super villains, get assistance from Alfred and Oracle, and using your brain figure out tactics on engaging the enemy. The voice actors from the DC Animated Universe offered their talents for this game, including two that define Batman and the Joker, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, as well as Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn.

We find Batman in Arkham Asylum after apprehending the Joker, but once they get to Arkham, the Joker breaks free and takes control of the penitentiary. The game is enormous and encompasses all of Arkham Asylum on Arkham Island, which you get freely explore and roam. The gameplay is great. The fighting mechanics are the biggest draws to this game by many players. There's a lot of freedom on how you want to engage these bad guys, and it's one of the best parts of the game. You could wait for a guy to be alone and then glide kick in and perform a ground takedown, but you've got access to Batman's entire utility belt if you want. You earn XP that will allow to to upgrade your gadgets or gain new fight moves. There's a lot of gameplay other than the main story line. There's the challenge of finding Riddler trophies that you have to use your upgraded skills, gadgets, and your smarts in order to get. More on this great game franchise farther down my list!

7) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009)

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves took everything I loved from Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and just turned it up to 11! I mean, this game is fantastic. The story is better, the game play is better, the control mechanics are better. Everything is better, and the first Uncharted game was GREAT. Even though you're technically doing the same sort of shooting, climbing and puzzle solving throughout the game, the different ways the scenes are presented gives Among Thieves a greater sense of gameplay variety than the original.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Two awesome games there!  Probably my two favorite franchises in the PS family.  I'm so looking forward to (finally) playing Arkham Knight, and Uncharted 4 is gonna be off the charts.

FYI, I'll finally be ready to go when this list is done.  Got my list and pics ready, just starting some of my writeups.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion