Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 234093 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I could never get into any of the PS1 Final Fantasy games, and I never bothered with anything PS2 or onward. So for me the best trilogy is IV V and VI.

Suikoden is one of about a hundred PS1 RPGs I've been meaning to play for the better part of a decade and a half, but haven't gotten around to. :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Wii bowling is fucking choice. The mechanics are phenomally true to real life bowling and the best of any bowling game I've ever played. Silver Strike Bowling (an arcade-only game from the mid-2000s) has virtually perfect physics too but the track ball's got nothing on being able to use the exact same arm motion you use when actually bowling. The hook mechanics just feel real-life perfect.

Never got a perfect game though since I've probably only bowled about 40-50 games on it in my entire life since I've never owned it. I did get a 277 though which is, realistically speaking, every bit as good as a 297 the way I did it since my game was 11 strikes surrounding a mid-game 7-count where I picked up the spare and the only way to get a 297 (or anything higher than a 290) is to open with 11 in a row going into your final shot so my 277 and a 297 both include 11 strikes and a 7-count but in a 297 you don't even have to convert the spare since the 7-count can only occur on your final shot.

Oh yeah, the trick shot and 100-pin bowling modes are fantastic ways to expand upon a very simple and old concept. They really should add a mode where you can practice any spare pickup by allowing you to choose which pins are standing in some kind of practice mode.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
The PSX FF Trilogy is one absolutely fantastic run of games and probably my favorite trilogy of all time.  :tup

And I'm happy to see Suikoden mentioned here.  :biggrin: While the second one has undoubtly a much more fulfilling story and interesting characters, the original one is awesome too! :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Agreed that the PSOne years of the Final Fantasy series were the greatest. VIII is a weaker one for me, especially compared with those two but even compared with most of the more recent ones. However, there were some aspects of it that were really great. The music is easily the best of the entire series, the graphics were by far the best they had developed at that time and the gameplay was pretty good. It was just hugely let down by story and characters (similar to XII in that way).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Outcrier

Also, what makes FFVIII my favorite is the atmosphere, the world design, how well the music blended.
It kinda made me excuse some gameplay mechanics i didn't liked such as drawing magic, how you can't use magic because of you need it for the stats junctioning and etc....

My personal preference is VIII > IX > VII. They all pretty good though and i love these OSTs.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Cable

Ah, Wii Sports. Never has so much been gained from a tech demo. It is sad, because I feel so much more could have done with the potential of the system. And this is apparent from the fun of Wii Sports, and just how many different kinds of people played it.               
---

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I have never played a Final Fantasy game.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

My personal preference is VIII > IX > VII. They all pretty good though and i love these OSTs.

Nailed it.

Tough to go wrong with PSX series if you're looking for a place to start. Or FFVI.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
PS1 series is no better or worse than what came before or after it, if you ask me. VII is one of the only poor entries (with X) in the series, VII ends great but the first disc is poor, and IX is in the top 5 best. I tend to feel nostalgia elevates the PS1 era.

Offline Cable

While I pump up other FFs as a result of the attention FFVII gets, saying it's poor is a bit harsh IMO. Sure, it has it's flaws like so many others. But its impact on gaming, PS & Sony for that matter in general, RPGs and consoles in general was monumental. Kind of like how everyone identifies SMB3 as great, FFVII is great. For many of us it may not be our favorite, but the game is legendary. So many people have played it, non RPG fans included.
---

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Just a typo, notice I talked about VII twice. I meant VIII is poor. I like VII a lot, but the first disc has many annoying things that keep it from being one of the best in the series.

Offline Cable

Gotcha, my error.  :facepalm:

Agreed on both points.  :tup VII can be uneven. I do not think VIII is 100% poor, but certainly more of the black sheep of the series. Some good concepts that fell flat as a whole.
---

Offline yorost

• Inactive
I do think that was clearly my error! :lol

Offline Outcrier

I don't see VIII as the black sheep of the series. For starters, it is better received than many FFs, notably II (NES) and XIII.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
So? It's all personal opinion. II is one of the best, in my opinion.

Offline Outcrier

You should like both II and VIII then because the common complaint is that both have broken systems  :P
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:04:13 AM by Outcrier »

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Joke or not, not amusing. Just looking at the 'broken' systems...

II has a broken system only if you purposefully abuse it. Don't attack your own players and don't power level, and it's balanced fairly well. That's not unreasonable. In fact, power leveling is discouraged in the system, it holds your character back. You level the fastest and have the highest potential in this game if you  keep yourself as low as possible. It's a very cool balance that encourages you to attempt to challenge yourself in battle. You can spot power levelers easily on forums because they're complain about their level going up painfully slow. It's a broken system, alright, but not breaking it leaves you a quality system.

VIII borders on damned if you do and damned if you don't. It's just kind of confusing as to what to be doing. You can attack, but it doesn't seem to gain you much. You can farm magic, but that's boring and stupid. It's bad when the 'no encounter' ability seems like the most important ability (and you can get it very early). It's broken, but that's because it is difficult to find a quality 'gaming' path. It discourages grinding, but by doing so you make the game easier. Where's the fun sweet spot?

XII is also considered broken due to the gambit system, but I think that's the best game in series. The gambit system is not only completely optional, it only effectively runs itself if you've devoted some effort to it. It is arguably broken, but when solution you think it should have is simply don't do it, what are you complaining about?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
XII is also considered broken due to the gambit system, but I think that's the best game in series. The gambit system is not only completely optional, it only effectively runs itself if you've devoted some effort to it. It is arguably broken, but when solution you think it should have is simply don't do it, what are you complaining about?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Wii Sports is always a good time!  :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
When are we getting the next installment? 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline OpenYourEyes311

When are we getting the next installment?

Tonight. And it'll be a bigger one to make up for the lack of posts.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

10. Super Mario 3 (1988)

So SMB3 is my favorite Mario game. Hands down. As a kid, I had the Nintendo Power that was just a guide for this game. It had every secret, including N-Cards, 1-ups, strategies, etc. And I pretty much memorised the whole game. I can still run though every level and get all the secret power-ups (which were the best of the series). Has it ever gotten better than the racoon tail or the Hammer Bros Suit? I think not! Still run through this game every so often with my friends. Few hours for every level, or about 20 minutes if we warp. Either way it's a good time.

9. Metroid Prime (2002)

Metroid. In 3-D. What was done right in this game is it feels like Metroid. The hunt for new weapons. The need to backtrack. The secret passages to hidden missles. Ridley. Everything about this game was familiar in an unfamiliar way. I was totally skeptical of this game as I do not like first person shooters normally. But I was very pleasantly surprised. The locking mechanism for aiming really helped me along in this one, and once I got through the first section of the game and I was on Tallon IV, I kinda forgot I was playing a FPS. My favorite thing about this game was the challenge. I was scared to go through that next door. Literally, my heart would race as I went through every cavern. Space Pirates were around every corner and were not very friendly. Then there were the bosses: Thardus was an a-hole, and Omega Pirate was a major problem (still never beat him on hard mode). And the last boss was pretty beastly, too. But again. It was all Metroid. Besides the lack of Screw Attack, it was everything I could have hoped for in a 3-D game that brought one of my favorite franchises to life in a big way. I'm hoping eventually for an HD sequel, but not holding my breath.

8. Chrono Trigger (1995)

What used to be my #1 game has slipped in the past few years. By no fault of it's own, of course. CT is an amazing game. In fact, it's only slipped because I've overplayed it in the last twenty years. I have beaten this game all the way through probably over 50 times, every version multiple times, and it still amazes me when I do play it. My favorite things about this game are the characters and story. Every character has a fleshed out story of their own that fits into the overall storyline. The gameplay is fast paced, and still fun and challenging. And the antagonists. Who's cooler than Magus? And Lavos himself is a beast as well. Sometimes I wish that I had never played this game, just so I could experience it again for the first time. It's just that good of a game.

7. Super Metroid (1994)

As was listed earlier, Metroid was one of my favorite NES games growing up. In 1994, I was walking through Toys R Us and saw the demo for this game, and was floored. What I saw when I picked up the controller to play a bit of it was a destroyed Tourain from the end of the first game. I turn a corner, and there sits an empty cage where Mother Brain once was. Then, further in, an elevator that brings me back to the beginning of the first Metroid game. This was a place I was familiar with. To the left, yup, the Morphing Ball was still there. All of this was in glorious 16-bit. Something I had never experienced up until this point at my home. I must own this game. Bought a SNES and the game not much later and the rest is history. Easily the best game in the series, and it kind of saddens me that it's not top 5. But... well...

6. Final Fantasy Anthology (1992, 1994)

In 1999, two of the best RPGs ever made were re-released for the Playstation under the title Final Fantasy Anthology: the epic and awesome FF6, and the at-the-time-never-released and often overlooked FF5. While the PSX versions did not update much of anything for either game, aside from a beastiary, it did give fans of the series a second look at my favorite era of Final Fantasy, the SNES era. While, admittedly, FF4 doesn't hold my interest as much as later games, these two back-to-back classics make up for it in spades. Most everybody already knows or has heard how great FF6, so I'll focus my energy on converting people on 5. Two words: Job System. An updated version of the system from FF3 makes a return, and in a big way. Over twenty jobs are at your disposal as you make your way through this game, meaning your characters can take on any role they choose at any time, for an infinite number of combinations. When they master a job, they can take some portions of that job, even innate abilities, along with them while using other jobs. Eventually, you can make your characters pretty much unstoppable forces if you master many jobs. Until Exdeath. Exdeath will f--- you up. So take a look if you haven't yet at these two remarkably fun RPGs from the best era in gaming. Both are on PSN.

WELP.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I approve of all of these. Although I think you're cheating with that Final Fantasy Anthology. :P

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I approve of all of these. Although I think you're cheating with that Final Fantasy Anthology. :P
This, except for CT - I guess I'll never get the praise for that game. Totally cool if you love it, but I can't really see anything of it worth as "one of the best games ever". Oh well  :P

Btw, I'd kill for an HD Remaster of Metroid Prime Trilogy  :o

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
How confusing - in Europe the FF Anthology was IV and V as they released VI separately.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
How confusing - in Europe the FF Anthology was IV and V as they released VI separately.
Yeah, no kidding, had to google to make sure I wasn't dreaming what I used to play as a child.  :lol

Those PlayStation remakes are plagued with bad loading times but other than that, they're awesome. You really can't go wrong with any SNES era Final Fantasy. :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Super Mario Bros. 3 is as good as Mario gets. I'd love to see them yop it one day but I ain't holdin my breath.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Super Mario Bros. 3 is as good as Mario gets. I'd love to see them yop it one day but I ain't holdin my breath.

They topped it with the very next Mario game. They haven't topped that one since though. :biggrin:
Mario games are always enjoyable though, as are most first party Nintendo games. I guess they need to deliver, since they can't rely on third party developers to care about Nintendo's consoles.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

That's really strange. They packaged IV with Chrono Trigger here in the States as Final Fantasy Chronicles. And with FF Origins (I&II) you could play 1-9 on PSX, with the exception of 3. Those were good times.
WELP.

Offline Jarlaxle

My brother's and mine record for SM3 was something like 8:53. Sub 9 minutes anyway. We played for days on end one-upping each other. I think he's the one that holds the best time.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

My brother's and mine record for SM3 was something like 8:53. Sub 9 minutes anyway. We played for days on end one-upping each other. I think he's the one that holds the best time.

That's a sick time. That's more like my time for SMB1. Usually I'm not going for speed, though. I like to enjoy every level. But that time is probably half my best at least. Nice work!
WELP.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
FF6: One of the best.

FFV: One of the few lousy ones. Find transportation mode, take it one place, lose it, repeat. The job system was awful, and I really like III's system. Beating the final boss was finally doable when I took all my characters in on brand new classes, to enable the right ability combos. There was no planning needed and being strong in a class discourages staying in it (or even in a similar class), terrible system.

Offline Outcrier

Holy shit, what an amazing update, Batman  :lol

Love Super Metroid, love Metroid Prime, love Chrono Trigger, really like Final Fantasy 5 (Job System FTW) :hefdaddy

Bit of a sin that i never played SM3 or completed FF6 though.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

FFV: One of the few lousy ones. Find transportation mode, take it one place, lose it, repeat. The job system was awful, and I really like III's system. Beating the final boss was finally doable when I took all my characters in on brand new classes, to enable the right ability combos. There was no planning needed and being strong in a class discourages staying in it (or even in a similar class), terrible system.

Valid points. The story was definitely not the best. But where I disagree is the fighting system. I love the fact that if I get a great ability (like bare-fists) by being a master in the Monk class, I can bring that over and pummel people in with my Level 1 White Mage. So now my Mage can attack with ferocity and still heal when needed. I thought it was great! (my opinion  ;D)
WELP.