Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 234746 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. "(Lack of) Variety is the Spice of Life" (pg. 47)
« Reply #1645 on: September 21, 2015, 10:18:30 PM »
Spoilers: If I ever get around to doing this list?

Knytt Underground could potentially be my #1. Absolutely beautiful game.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Re: Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. "(Lack of) Variety is the Spice of Life" (pg. 47)
« Reply #1646 on: September 22, 2015, 02:32:45 AM »
I've found a store that sells the PSX copy of SOTN and I'm gonna buy it soon and play through this fucker. :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1647 on: September 22, 2015, 06:35:01 AM »
Spoilers: If I ever get around to doing this list?

Knytt Underground could potentially be my #1. Absolutely beautiful game.

That's awesome! I was hoping someone had played this game. Stunning, and a lot of fun!

Also, I knew I would f*** up the pictures at some point. I'll try to fix them when I get home from work.  :blush
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1648 on: September 22, 2015, 01:51:23 PM »
SOTN is all kinds of awesome. One of the best Metroidvanias and game OSTs and don't fell dated, at least for me.

Despite my love for FVIII, which i admit may be because of nostalgia, SOTN could be the best PSX game. For starters, it currently is at GameFaqs (and top 10 overall).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1649 on: September 23, 2015, 08:57:33 AM »
Despite my love for FVIII, which i admit may be because of nostalgia, SOTN could be the best PSX game. For starters, it currently is at GameFaqs (and top 10 overall).

I definitely can't argue that point, but it's not the last PSX game on my list. ;D

I don't know what's going on with those pictures, either... they work at home but not at work. Sorry to anyone who can't see them. I'll try posting my next couple when I get home tonight.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1650 on: September 23, 2015, 09:22:59 PM »
HONORABLE MENTION: Little Samson (1992)

Here's a game that would have made my top 25 if I had grown up with it. However, I only recently found this game. Apparently this game did not sell well out of the gate and is one of the more rare NES carts around. In any event, none of that makes a great game. But this one is just that. This is an action platformer in the style of Mega Man and Mario. In this game you can be one of four characters: Samson (a man), Mouse, Golem, or Dragon. All have different abilities and they all come on the adventure with you, so you can switch out at anytime. They each have their own lifebar too, which means there no penalty for switching out, and in fact it's quite helpful. In any event, this game is a lot of fun for people who like platformers. And it has a difficulty setting, so even beginners can have fun with it. Unfortunately, it's never been re-released, so you'll have to find a copy for your NES to play it. Good luck with that!

19. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002)

I love Zelda games. I spent 2007 beating every single one that had come out at the time. This one, for my money, as far as 3D Zelda games go, is the best one. Yes. You read that correctly. Yes, that means there will be no Ocarina of Time on this list. Sorry, folks! This is where it's at when I want some big Zelda adventure. First off, it's the best looking game of the series. The cel-shading style looks absolutely beautiful to this day. The HD remake looks AMAZING. I love the sailing aspect, too. Just Link and the sea. Endless, as far as the eye can... what's that?? Let's check this island out for an hour! FUN! There's just so much to see on the water in this game, so many little side quests and secrets. And it actually has a compelling storyline about what the Hell happened to Hyrule. This game knocked my socks off, and as much as I enjoy Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword, I really don't think anything will ever touch the grandeur of Wind Waker. Check out the HD version on Wii U.

18. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (1989)

Remember before when I said I grew up loving Castlevania III? Well here it is. The best NES Castlevania. What makes this the best one for the system is it's replayability. There are so many different ways to play this game. You start out playing as Trevor Belmont, in a time before Simon (from the first two games) was ever born. Along the way you have opportunity to meet and recruit one of three friends: the super-quick Grant, the surprisingly powerful Sypha, and Drac's son himself Alucard. As if that wasn't enough choice for you, when you come to the end of certain levels, you can choose the next path you take. To see all the levels it takes about three run-throughs of the game. Eventually each path converges toward the end of the game, culminating in a final showdown with Drac. Unlike Symphony of the Night, where if you continue to fight enemies you will gain levels and become stronger making the game easier, this game becomes much more difficult very fast. By the end of the game Trevor will be taken out in four hits, and some of his partners even less. If you have a thirst for vampire killing, and a strong will to survive (or at least try, try again), then check this game out on Virtual Console for Wii and Wii U.

WELP.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1651 on: September 23, 2015, 09:28:18 PM »
Not a big fan of the old Castlevania games for the NES but i do think DC is one of the best OSTs in the series (along SOTN, SC4 and DoS).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1652 on: September 23, 2015, 09:33:07 PM »
Wind Waker would have been great if it had a map instead of empty ocean and more than 2 or 3 real dungeons. The blue-ballsiest Zelda game. :lol Right when it finally starts getting good, bam; last third of the game is just pure padding. Collect a billion rupees to pay midget, sail for ten minutes through emptiness to find the thingy, repeat. (and I hate to say it, but your whole description reads as a troll to me, I disagree that strongly :lol )

Don't know the other two. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1653 on: September 24, 2015, 08:48:54 AM »
Not a big fan of the old Castlevania games for the NES but i do think DC is one of the best OSTs in the series (along SOTN, SC4 and DoS).

Oh, man, YES! I can't believe I forgot to talk about the music in this game. There were times that instead of playing the game I would just listen to the soundtrack at the beginning (B+START at the opening screen, I believe). So good.

Wind Waker would have been great if it had a map instead of empty ocean and more than 2 or 3 real dungeons. The blue-ballsiest Zelda game. :lol Right when it finally starts getting good, bam; last third of the game is just pure padding. Collect a billion rupees to pay midget, sail for ten minutes through emptiness to find the thingy, repeat. (and I hate to say it, but your whole description reads as a troll to me, I disagree that strongly :lol )

I mean, I can't disagree with you. And I've heard that opinion before. But it was stuff like that that made me love this game. It felt like a journey to a far off land every time you set sail. I swear I'm being genuine! :laugh:  :P ::)
WELP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1654 on: September 24, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »

I mean, I can't disagree with you. And I've heard that opinion before. But it was stuff like that that made me love this game. It felt like a journey to a far off land every time you set sail. I swear I'm being genuine! :laugh:  :P ::)

I'm just ribbing you, man. :tup The reason it even bugs me was because of the flashes of brilliance, especially those later dungeons, which were among the best in any Zelda game. It's still a Zelda game, and I still enjoyed it a lot, it's just a shame it felt so rushed to me.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1655 on: September 24, 2015, 08:53:22 PM »
Castlevania 3 is fantastic. It's not my favorite in the series, but at the same time the switching spirits was so cool. I always fell back to Grant, he was the most useful IMO with skipping parts of stages, and his height was handy on the axe throwing knights. Alucard was nearly worthless IMO, which as kids we are all excited about him when hearing about the game. Actually as you were describing Little Samson OpenYourEyes, I thought of C3.

The challenge was up there for C3, some say more than C1. But I don't always agree. Then again, without "Help Me", that makes more sense. I don't think I've beaten it without that  :lol. I need to go do that.The game was harder with using just Trevor and skipping the spirits. I forgot how I beat the dopplegangers. And that second quest- shoot, I need to go play this one again soon!
---

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1656 on: September 25, 2015, 06:48:53 AM »
Castlevania 3 is fantastic. It's not my favorite in the series, but at the same time the switching spirits was so cool. I always fell back to Grant, he was the most useful IMO with skipping parts of stages, and his height was handy on the axe throwing knights. Alucard was nearly worthless IMO, which as kids we are all excited about him when hearing about the game. Actually as you were describing Little Samson OpenYourEyes, I thought of C3.

The challenge was up there for C3, some say more than C1. But I don't always agree. Then again, without "Help Me", that makes more sense. I don't think I've beaten it without that  :lol. I need to go do that.The game was harder with using just Trevor and skipping the spirits. I forgot how I beat the dopplegangers. And that second quest- shoot, I need to go play this one again soon!

Grant was my go-to for a long time. But I was never able to finish the game with him. Always got stuck at Death. These days I still go get him so I can get the 1up and points in the clock-tower, but I always end up switching him with Sypha. Her lightning spell is sick and really does the job against Death.  And yes, Alucard is pretty useless in this game. Although I've seen videos online of people using him, and I guess if you know how to use him he's pretty good. I've never tried Trevor alone. I imagine that would be impossible (for me anyway, haha)!
WELP.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1657 on: September 28, 2015, 10:36:51 PM »
Couple of Mario games today!

17. Super Mario Galaxy (2007)

This is the first 3D Mario game I ever played and enjoyed. I didn't really have N64, so Mario 64 didn't appeal to me. And I didn't really get into Sunshine either, maybe played it for about an hour and put it down. But when I got a Wii, I could not put this game down. I really enjoyed the "space" aspect of the game. How you could run around the different planets, and they each had their own gravity, and how you could fly from planet to planet. I thought the boss fights were generally really cool. I remember the feeling of getting the 120th star, and the big sigh of relief that it was over, only to unlock Luigi mode and have to do it all over again! While I did enjoy Super Mario Galaxy 2 enough to beat it, it did not suck me in as much as the original. I wasn't a big fan of Yoshi coming into the fold. One more thing about this game is the music. It's done with a actual orchestra, and it's pretty breathtaking. If you have a Wii or Wii U and (somehow) not played this game, go pick it up!

16. Mario Superstar Baseball (2005)

This is an odd pick, I must say. Absolutely a nostalgia pick. While growing up, my buddy and I always enjoyed playing sports game against each other. But one of us was always better than the other one. He was better at football and golf games; I was always better at hockey games. Then came Mario Baseball. We both picked it up and started playing the single player game on our own. What's funny is the actually single-player game isn't that great. I mean, it's okay. There's kind of a storyline, and there's challenges you can do with each character to give them a superstar and make them better, and even mini-games, but the real fun was when we got together and played against each other head to head. We each had our own style: people we liked in the field, or at bat, or pitching. I loved Waluigi as pitcher, he was a Boo guy. I was nasty with Noki at the bat, and Dry Bones in the field. He couldn't stand using either. But it always went back and forth. I would win a game or two, then he would. It was always interesting. Then we came up with the idea of the Mario Baseball World Series. Rules were simple: seven games; we pick all players at the beginning and they all have to play at least once in the first four games (in case of a sweep); you need at least 3 starting pitchers and they can't come in for relief, or play in the next two games after starting a game (so your ace would go 1,4,7... the other would play 2,5 and 3,6). Each game took about 30-40 minutes, so we would play for a very long time. Most Series' went to 7 games, many in dramatic comeback fashion. The last time we did this was the morning of my bachelor party, where I came back from a 3 game deficit to win in seven. Oh man, good times. If you've got a buddy you can kill some time with, check this one out for Gamecube.

WELP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1658 on: September 29, 2015, 05:54:47 AM »
I've really been considering getting a Wii U lately to play the Mario games, new and old.  I haven't played a Mario since M64  :facepalm:

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1659 on: September 29, 2015, 06:22:37 AM »
I noticed when my girlfriend and I moved in that she had a copy of Super Mario Galaxy, she said she had a great time playing the game.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1660 on: September 29, 2015, 11:35:30 AM »
Ahh, the joys of playing Mario Baseball with friends.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1661 on: September 29, 2015, 11:38:48 AM »
Mario Golf on 64 was easily my favorite Mario-based sports game.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1662 on: September 29, 2015, 11:41:40 AM »
Mario Golf on 64 was easily my favorite Mario-based sports game.

This was a great one, too. I liked all the Mario Golfs, actually. The one on Gamecube especially. For me though, Baseball was hands down the most fun of them all. Although I didn't get into the second one (as I didn't think the motion controls would be anywhere near as good as what was on Gamecube).
WELP.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Sorry for taking so long with this. Tough to make the posts at work, and life after work is getting in the way. I will do another tomorrow afternoon.
WELP.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

15. Castlevania: Lament of Innocence/Curse of Darkness (2003/2005)

While I absolutely love the 2D Castlevanias, and usually would go for a more traditional 2D game over a 3D one, these two games are hands-down the best Castlevanias I’ve ever played. I group them together because they play very similarly to each other and I played both of them back-to-back so they kinda flow together in my mind. I will say that the storylines are completely different. Lament is kind of an origin story, taking place well before any of the others in the canon, and has the creation of the famous Vampire Killer whip. Curse is a continuation of my favorite NES CV: Dracula’s Curse, which is just fantastic as you run into Trevor multiple times throughout the game. When played in order, you will see that in Lament, you are confined to the one castle, but it’s split into five areas. You play each area in order as if they were levels, but you get to go back to any of the other ones at any time in case you missed an item or something. At the end, you can also unlock a bonus boss fight, which is pretty gruesome. Lament also has a bit of replayability as it gives you codes to play in different modes once you beat the game (like hard mode, or as a different character).

Curse of Darkness, on the other hand, drops you in a huge world where you can go pretty much anywhere you want. It’s kind of like a journey to get to the castle, as opposed to already being there. I remember being pretty overwhelmed with how much land there was to cover in this game. Also, the main side-quest in this game is a massive 50-floor tower that you have to fight through to get to the top. Each floor is harder and harder, so hopefully you’re pretty stacked before tackling it. There’s a pretty gnarly secret at the top, too, which made me chuckle and groan at the same time when I figured out what it was. In any event, both of these games are worth checking out. I can best describe them both as Symphony of the Night in 3D. Both for PS2, and Lament is now on PSN.

14. Blaster Master (1988)

Another one of my all-time favorite games. This is the one game on my list that breaks my self-imposed “must be able to beat without cheating” rule. This game is deceptively hard. If you don’t know where exactly you need to go, you could spend hours on the first level alone. In this game, you’re a character named Jason, who drives a badass car with a gun on it. You control the car along platforming levels, eventually finding small doors where you need to get out of the car and infiltrate with Jason. The game then turns into a top down shooter. The levers are all really big, and have many different ways of going and many different doors. All but one door lead to dead-end (usually with power-ups, some with nothing). The one you’re looking for is the boss room. Once you defeat a boss, you get a new ability for your car (better gun, walk on walls or ceilings, ability to hover…) that will help you make it to the next level. It’s kind of like a Metroidvania before that was even a thing. While I have been able to beat this with the Game Genie, I haven’t tried without it in YEARS. I could get pretty far though, I remember getting to the last level once before I got a game over. This one is definitely worth checking out, for NES and Virtual Console. Also, as a quick honorable mention to the sequel that came out for WiiWare in 2010, Blaster Master: Overdrive, is pretty much the same thing with better graphics and sound (same soundtrack!), and new gameplay features, and also totally worth checking out.

THE PICTURES AREN'T WORKING FOR ME AT WORK. I'll fix it when I get home if needed. Okay, well I tried at home. I'm not understanding why they aren't working. Too tired to figure it out.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:44:06 PM by OpenYourEyes311 »
WELP.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
they are also not working for me.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
14. Blaster Master (1988)

awesome!  #8 on my list way back on page 17.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

So life has gotten in the way the past week. Sorry to all, I will try and update more frequently so as to not hold up the next person.

13. Mario Kart 8 (2014)

This is the game I've always wanted Mario Kart to be. I grew up on 64 and Double Dash, but never loved a MK game as much as this one. First off, it's in HD, so it's clearly the best looking of all the Kart games. But the gameplay is just so refined. I love that they brought back the coins from SuperMK (the more you have, the faster you are). And the DLC is really a huge game changer. Eventually, I hope to beat every race on 200cc (it's so fast!!). But there are so many fun new races, and upgrades to old classic races, that so far I have yet to tire of this game! Easily the best Kart game, and the reason you should pick up a Wii U to play it!

12. Metroid (1986)

Metroid is the first game I can remember owning. It's kind of a tragic memory, because all I remember was spilling juice all over the booklet only minutes after opening the box. But I clearly remember my 14" tube TV shining in the livingroom of the house I moved away from when I was 6, with the world of Zebes unfolding before my eyes. Nothing excites me more, gaming-wise, than an adventure. Not knowing what's behind the corner, or in the next room. Is it going to be an enemy I've never seen? A much-needed powerup so that I can get into that red door I saw a few screens back? Or, worse yet, a terrifyingly hard boss? It was heart-pounding playing this game as a child. But I loved every second of it. If not for Nintendo Power's map of the entire game, I may not have ever beaten it. But after literally memorizing the item sequence in NP (...#7 Boots, #8 E-tank...), I was able to finally make it to Mother Brain. Only to die, pretty every time until well into high school. This game is not for people who quit after dying a couple times, it is quite hard regardless if you are 6 or 26, or 60. But definitely worth checking out if you've played some of the sequels. It's interesting to see where the series began. On Virtual Console for 3DS, Wii, and Wii U.

WELP.

Offline Outcrier

Now i'm expecting Super Metroid to show up soon  :tup

Offline OpenYourEyes311

;)
WELP.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Mario Kart 8 is awesome. A few friends of mine have it and I love playing it. Double Dash was always my favourite but Mario Kart 8 is really refreshing (where Mario Kart Wii wasn't) and I love the high amount of tracks, characters and cars/bikes.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Mario Kart 8 is awesome. A few friends of mine have it and I love playing it. Double Dash was always my favourite but Mario Kart 8 is really refreshing (where Mario Kart Wii wasn't) and I love the high amount of tracks, characters and cars/bikes.
I felt the same way. Me and my friends LOVED Double Dash, and the Wii game was just a let down after that. But they got back on track with 8.
WELP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Is there anything wrong with the Wii Mario Kart game, or was it just not particularly innovative? I haven't played it, but we just got a Wii, so obviously games like that are top of the list.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Mario Kart Wii was really fun to play, in fact the only game I played on the Wii more than once. Previously I've only played Mario Kart 64 so I have no real comparison.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I thought it was better than Double Dash, but I guess that isn't saying much. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I thought it was better than Double Dash, but I guess that isn't saying much. :lol

Double Dash was a great game! I do prefer Mario Kart 64, but it was still a lot of fun.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Is there anything wrong with the Wii Mario Kart game, or was it just not particularly innovative? I haven't played it, but we just got a Wii, so obviously games like that are top of the list.

My gf has Mario Kart on wii but I haven't hooked it up so I haven't gotten a chance to play it. I do remember seeing it at my buddies house and it looked pretty fun.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Don't get me wrong, it was still a fun game. But Double-Dash had a tandem aspect (2 players on one kart) that they got rid of in MKWii. That was one of my favorite things about DD. Me and my buddy used to OWN doubling up (uh-uh). Also, if 3 or 4 players were playing the Wii game at the same time, it looked like crap for some reason. MK8 kind of has the same problem, but it's in HD so it obviously looks a whole lot better. And while they didn't bring back the double-up karts in 8, they upped the wow factor on the races by using the anti-gravity parts, brought back the coins to make the game a bit faster, and added fun new items (like the Crazy 8!).
WELP.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
getting used to turning the remote in mario kart Wii was really hard after having played mario kart DS for basically forever
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline OpenYourEyes311

HONORABLE MENTIONS (going with 2 HMs and 1 entry so I can set up the top ten)

Final Fantasy PSX Series (1997, 1999, 2000)

What can be said that hasn't already been said? Just fantastic games, and really the whole series is great, but the PSX run of VII, VIII, and IX is probably the strongest trilogy of the bunch. I mean, we all have our favorites, and ones we don't like. For me, II was a huge dud on NES. IV wasn't that great either. X was okay, but XI was online and I never even got to play it. The PSX trilogy, however, when taken as a whole is perfection. What's great is that they're all different, but yet they're all familiar as you get into them The gameplay for each is amazing, but the change it up every time. VII has materia, VIII has the Draw system, and IX has the learning system (which reminds me of VI's magicite system, and probably why I really like it). The stories for each are probably the best story telling in Final Fantasy games to date. I got really invested in every single character from each game. If you've only played one of these (VII, for example), you owe it to yourself to try the others, because they're just fun RPGs. And they're all available on PSN.

Wii Sports (2006)

I'll start off by saying that the Wii was the first and only system I ever bought on launch day. I was also a poor college student and couldn't afford to buy any games with the system. So when I tell you I played this s#!t out of this... I mean, it's all I had. But man, all five games in Wii Sports are pretty flippin' fun. I was pretty bad at Baseball and Boxing, but they were still fun. I liked how the boxing introduced the nunchuck to you. Golf was pretty cool, and Tennis was a lot of fun with friends. But Oh. My. God. Bowling! I was so good at bowling! I used to crush people in my dorm room at bowling til the wii hours of the morning. I couldn't get enough. I think I may have bowled my last game when someone bet me $5 that they could beat me (some time in 2009ish). I ended up bowling a perfect game (my second one). I retired after that.

11. Suikoden (1995)

This game is the pinnacle of PSX RPGs, for me. While the second one is very highly regarded (with good reason I'm finding out, as I'm in the middle of playing it), this is the game I grew up with. I love everything about this game. The look is beautiful, the characters all have great stories and personalities (which is amazing considering there's 100+ playable characters!), and the storyline is awesome. I love the war theme, which was brought into the sequel. I love that there are three separate types of battle, too. There's the regular turn based battles, which happen most frequently; duels between two characters (which, if you lose, your character can die and be gone for good); and war battles, where again you can lose characters if they fall in battle. So, if you're looking for an overlooked RPG from the PSX era to satisfy your turn-based itch, this is one I would recommend whole-heartedly. And now it's reasonably price on the PSN!

WELP.