Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231601 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I love BioShock, I enjoyed Infinite more simply because I thought the gameplay was a bit better.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Although is my least favourite of the trilogy, I still think it's all kinds of awesome. I'm eager to see what Ken Levine will do on his next project.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
ahh yes, beershark, a good FPS/horror game thing that i'm like 90% sure i talked about before

mm yes good choice

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Love the original bioshock  :tup

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
7. Super Smash Bros for Wii U (Duh...)

It took four entries, but we finally reach the first Nintendo title on this list. By no means is it anywhere close to being the last.

In the original Super Smash Bros, characters from Nintendo franchises were brought together to fight each other. The series is unique among fighting games for its lack of hit points; instead, the goal is to knock opponents offstage. Damaging opponents increases their percentage, which allows them to be knocked back more easily.

The sequel, Super Smash Bros Melee, used to be my favorite in the series. The game plays much faster than its predecessor, and expands the game with more characters, modes, and so on. The biggest improvement is the use of the Gamecube controller, which I feel is far superior to that of the Nintendo 64 (sorry, Chino). The controller works perfectly for Smash; it fits comfortably in my hand, and the focus on the A button complements the game's control scheme, and allows attacks to be easily combined with jumps.

Brawl is the worst in the series. It plays veeerrrryyyy ssssllllooowwwwwwllllyyyyyyy. For an idea of its poor game design, it implemented random tripping. Yup, you heard that right. Random. Fucking. Tripping. For a game with a competitive scene as big as Smash, the introduction of unnecessary elements of spontaneity is fatal. That is far from all of the gripes I have with the game, but this write-up is about its sequel, so I will cut this rant short.

Super Smash Bros for Wii U combines the competitive nature of Melee and the casual appeal of Brawl. It is nowhere near as fast or technical as Melee, but the gameplay still retains a great level of depth.

Smash has a deceptively simple control scheme. Input from three buttons and a control stick allows for 23 different attacks (a jab, 3 tilts and smashes each, 5 aerials, 4 specials, a dash attack, a grab, a pummel, four throws, and, for some characters, a Zair). In addition to these attacks, their is also a shield that allows for defensive maneuvers. They are all fairly easy to execute, and there are no long button sequences to master. Smash revels in the simplicity of its control scheme.

Outside of multiplayer matches, a score of other modes also exists. These range from Classic to All Star to Events to some new modes, several of which were notably missing from the 3DS incarnation of Smash. The Wii U version is a much more complete game.

The main appeal of Smash is its multiplayer suite. Like with the rest of the game, there is a ton of options. You can play seriously, without items, on stages that have no random elements. Or, you could play on stages with various hazards and with items for a more spontaneous experience. The multiplayer modes in Smash are expansive, and make it the perfect party game.

I have only recently become interested in competitive play, so I cannot go over it all that well. I do know that the skill ceiling for the game is very high, and an extraordinary amount of depth arises from its fairly simple controls. It is a complex, but highly rewarding, game, and possesses a charm that sets it apart from other fighting games.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I've only played the original and Melee (and a bit of the newest one on 3DS), and I didn't like Melee anywhere near as much due to the faster pace that takes the skill out of it, too many level hazards, and the bad GC controller (those analogue triggers aren't good enough for pressing quickly for grab attacks).
It sounds like the one for Wii U has gotten a good balance after a few versions of experimenting, and the roster keeps getting better. I don't know how similar the 3DS game is, but from what I've played of it, that was great.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Brawl is absolutely the worst. That fucking smash ball ruined everything. No one ever wants to turn it off.

Offline Randaran

I've only played the original and Melee (and a bit of the newest one on 3DS), and I didn't like Melee anywhere near as much due to the faster pace that takes the skill out of it, too many level hazards, and the bad GC controller (those analogue triggers aren't good enough for pressing quickly for grab attacks).
It sounds like the one for Wii U has gotten a good balance after a few versions of experimenting, and the roster keeps getting better. I don't know how similar the 3DS game is, but from what I've played of it, that was great.

Melee requires a lot more skill. It is easily the most technical of the series, though the Project M mod for Brawl may come close. I suck at it, which is a large part of why I prefer the Wii U game.  :biggrin: As for the GameCube controller, I'm pretty sure that we have had this discussion before. I actually like the analogue triggers, which are used for shielding, not grabbing. That is done with Z (or A while shielded), a button that is kind of hard to reach, though I never had any issues with it.

There are many differences between the two. The Wii U and 3DS versions both have the same roster. However, the 3DS version only has Classic, All-Star, and Stadium modes for Single Player. The Wii U version has an improved version of Classic and a bunch of other modes such as Events. The multiplayer suite for the 3DS game is also rather limited. You may remember Special Smash/Melee/whatever from the titles you have player. This mode is only in the Wii U version. Aside from those differences, each title has its own, completely different, selection of stages. The Wii U game is much more complete.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Melee requires a lot more skill. It is easily the most technical of the series, though the Project M mod for Brawl may come close. I suck at it, which is a large part of why I prefer the Wii U game.  :biggrin: As for the GameCube controller, I'm pretty sure that we have had this discussion before. I actually like the analogue triggers, which are used for shielding, not grabbing. That is done with Z (or A while shielded), a button that is kind of hard to reach, though I never had any issues with it.

Are you sure the triggers doesn't still act as grab? I've never ever used blocking in SSB. :lol
Either way I remember grabbing was a son of a bitch in Melee because of that controller, and the afterthought Z button was just as bad if not worse anyway.

I do recall that the 3DS version was somewhat limited in game modes, I just wasn't sure how similar the core gameplay was for character handling and moves, because I remember that being quite good. :tup

Offline Randaran

6. Borderlands 2 (PS3)

Ah, Borderlands 2. Where do I even begin?

Borderlands 2 is an FPS with heavy RPG elements. As you traverse the game's environments, opening chests and defeating enemies grants weapon drops. The stats of each gun or piece of equipment is randomized, meaning that there are literally millions of different guns in the game. Finding stronger weapons, weapons with special attributes, or the elusive legendary tier weapons is a satisfying endeavor. The quest to obtain a better loadout never ends.

Outside of weapons and equipment pieces, each character class has its own unique skill tree and special attributes. The most significant one is an action skill unique to each class. Leveling up grants skill points that can then be spent on perks. Though these stat increases are fairly small at first, they eventually become ridiculous. For example, I played as Maya the Siren, whose action skill, the Phaselock, renders an enemy helpless, allowing for easy elimination. Eventually, I bought skills that greatly improved it. My Phaselock pulls nearby enemies to it, deals damage of all four non-explosive elemental types to said enemies, greatly increases my fire speed, damage output, and health regeneration throughout its duration, and, if the enemy trapped by it is killed, spawns health orbs that actively seek out myself and my allies.

Elemental weapons add a new layer of strategy to the gunplay. Each element, with the exception of slag and explosive, is strong against some types of health bars, and weak against others. Explosive weapons are not as strong as incendiary, shock, or corrosive weapons, but deal consistent damage against all health bar varieties. Slag weapons cover enemies in purple goo, which increases the damage of all non-slag weapons when it is in effect.

Outside of the gameplay, the main appeal of Borderlands 2 lies in its sense of humor, which ranges from crude to my personal favorite type of humor, dark humor (as anyone who has played the Random Caption Game recently should know :censored). Each character has his or her own quirks, and is hilarious. My favorite character is the villain, Handsome Jack. He is a charming, yet sadistic, asshole. Throughout the game, he drops some of the funniest lines I have ever heard.

The humor extends beyond the characters, though. Several varieties of enemies, namely the bandits, have lines that never fail to make me laugh. Many of the quests have names, descriptions, and contents that contain references to and parodies of other works.

Possibly the best short display of this game's sense of humor is this quest.

As for the DLC, the first three were rather unremarkable. However, the final major expansion, Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep, is well worth it. Most of the cast is re-imagined as NPCs in a D&D-esque fantasy setting, with Tiny Tina, my favorite minor character in the game, as Dungeon Master. It has some compelling character development, and is one of my all-time favorite expansions.

So, yeah, Borderlands 2 is one of the best shooters I have ever played. It's charm never ceases to amaze me, and I still occasionally play it to this day, nearly 3 years after its release.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I did like Borderlands 2, but it was far too repetitive for my tastes. I don't think I even finished the storyline before getting bored with it.

Offline adace

Love the Borderlands series, the second one is definitely my favorite entry.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Never played any Borderlands games, but they seem quite fun  ;D

Offline Randaran

5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3)

Even though Skyrim is one of the most expansive games I have ever played, I have surprisingly little to say about it.

Skyrim is an open-world Western RPG set in a Tolkein-esque fantasy world. The series has really expansive lore, much of which is chronicled in the various books found throughout Skyrim. The region of Skyrim is huge, and contains many different biomes, dungeons, cities, varieties of wildlife, people, and so on.

There is so much to do in this game. There is a main story, various guild questlines, Daedric quests, one-off sidequests, and other objectives. Or, you could skip those entirely, and explore the game's map. Skyrim is home to many dungeons waiting to be explored and plundered, many towns full of people to interact with, and a ton of beautiful sights and easter eggs. Or hell, you can even spend your time reading books about Tamriel's history.

There are many skills in the game, ranging from fighting skills such as proficiency with various types of weapons, skills associated with each school of magic, and other miscellaneous abilities. Using them will level them up, and give experience towards your overall level. Upon leveling up, you earn skill points that can be spent on a perk in the game's expansive skill tree.

One of my favorite things to do in Skyrim is building my own weapons and armor and enchanting them. With a fully maxed out Smithing skill, you can create armor far stronger than anything available for looting. Plus, Daedric armor looks awesome.

Once you level up, characters can become ridiculously powerful. My fully-leveled Breton can kill most enemies in a few hits, is proficient in all forms of magic (especially when donning a set of gear that nullifies the mana cost of a particular school of magic), and has powerful advantages in both bartering and stealth. After a point, the game loses its difficulty, but the ability to explore Skyrim's well-realized fantasy world unhindered is well worth the tradeoff.

There is so much to do in this game. I have put well over 200 hours into Skyrim, and I have not done close to everything the game has to offer.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I was just finishing the main quest by the time I hit the 200 hour mark.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Skyrim was really great. Not very strong narratively (compared with, say Oblivion or Fallout: NV in the world of Bethesda open world RPGs), but a lot of fun to play and absurdly immersive.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
I sunk a ton of time into Skyrim. My dad's better at it than me though, heheh
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Randaran

I just noticed the thread title; I'm about 90% sure that my name is not "cramx3".  :lol

So, today begins the reign of Nintendo!

4. Pokemon Platinum / Black / Alpha Sapphire (DS/3DS)

Pokemon is simple in concept: the player must captures the titular monsters in order to defeat the region’s gym leaders so that he may challenge the Pokemon League. The great thing about these games is that they can be as simple or complex as you want them to be. If you want to play through the main story, using only cool-looking monsters taught moves with badass names, you can do that. However, I feel that if you stop there, you will miss out on what makes the series so great. After much deliberation, I have come up with three areas that make this series my favorite RPG franchise.

First is the post-game content. Pokemon games often contain new areas that can only be reached after the Elite Four is conquered. This is often in the form of a Battle Tower or Battle Frontier, though some entries such as Black reserve half of the region for post-game content. Exploring these new areas and completing their quests add much value to the game.

Second is the quest to complete the National Pokedex. The first generation had ‘only’ 151 Pokemon, though the number is well over 700 as of Gen VI. Catching each one of these monsters is a lot of work. Many are quite easy to find, and others can only be found through unique means. Drifloon, for example, only appears on Fridays, and many legendaries are only found at the end of lengthy side quests. Each generation adds new methods of finding and evolving Pokemon, many of which are quite obscure and specific. Some Pokemon only evolve in certain areas, while holding certain items, or when a certain Pokemon is in the party, among many other methods. Feebas even requires the player to feed it certain contest stat raising items to evolve into my all-time favorite Pokemon, Milotic. Knowledge really is power in the Pokemon games; without it, one will never complete the National Pokedex.

Finally, competitive battling. Without going into too much detail, I will say that it is a really involved process that quickly becomes complicated. At the same time, it is one of the most rewarding game experiences I have come across.

And now you are likely asking, “Why did you pick these games as your favorite Pokemon titles?” I could have easily picked any game from the third to sixth generation, but three titles stood out above the others.

Platinum does particularly well in post-game content. There is a new island to explore, a Battle Frontier, and plenty of repeatable high-level fights. The Elite Four gain levels, Gym Leader rematches are incorporated much better than they were in Emerald, and the trainers you paired up with in the game can also be fought. There are thus over a dozen trainers with Pokemon of levels in the seventies that can be fought infinite times, which makes leveling up monsters for the National Pokedex a much faster and more rewarding process than in previous games. In addition, Sinnoh is one of my favorite regions and introduced some of my favorite Pokemon, such as Lucario, Garchomp, Infernape, Cresselia, and Palkia. Finally, even though less than an hour is spent in the Distortion World, it is one of the most memorable hours in Pokemon history.

Black also does really well in terms of post-game content, as half of the region is blocked off until after the Pokemon League. Before this point, only new Pokemon were present, and monsters from previous generations were not available until much later. It really felt as though I was playing Pokemon for the first time. Like all generations, there is a mix of amazing and mediocre, uninspired designs. For the most part, the 5th generation of Pokemon is rather strong. I picked Black because I prefer the technological aesthetic of Black over White's natural landscape.

Alpha Sapphire is a remake of Gen III's Hoenn titles. Like the earlier Gen VI titles, it is a massive visual improvement over the previous generations. After finishing the main story, the Delta Episode is unlocked. This questline is easily the best part of the entire franchise story-wise, sporting characters that are actually compelling and solid thematic exploration. Aside from that, numerous gameplay improvements and additions make creating competitive teams a much faster and easier process.

I cannot pick a favorite between those three, so this entry will be a three-way tie.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Skyrim is the shittt.  Never played a pokemon game though.

I just noticed the thread title; I'm about 90% sure that my name is not "cramx3".  :lol

:lol

Offline Lucien

Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Randaran's randy list (pg. 39)
« Reply #1489 on: July 24, 2015, 09:57:28 AM »
lol 3 way tie

For me, it's an obvious Soul Silver, but Gen 2 has always been my favorite. Don't blame you for putting Platinum there, it's probably my second favorite

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

:lol
:facepalm: :rollin

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1491 on: July 25, 2015, 08:07:34 AM »
Nintendo's reign cannot be halted.

3. Metroid Prime (GCN)

Metroid began as a non-linear 2D platforming series. It pretty much invented a style of game design that focused on exploration, upgrades, and backtracking. Super Metroid is the perfect representation of this style. However, the series was at its best when it made the transition to 3D.

Metroid Prime was developed by Retro Studios, who has yet to make a game less than stellar. Metroid Prime is its best work.

MP controls differently from most first person games. Normally, movement is performed with one stick while aiming is done with a second. Here, both movement and aiming are done with a single stick. It takes a while to get used to, but MP uses every button on the GCN controller effectively.

After a short introductory level, Samus is thrown onto Tallon IV with little equipment. As she explores the few areas initially available to her, she comes across new weapons and abilities. These open up new areas, which contain new upgrades. Which open up new areas, and so on.

As Samus becomes stronger, the enemies evolve as well. Initially, Phendrena Drifts is populated by Baby Sheogorath. After a certain point, they are replaced by their adult variants. Chozo Ghosts appear regularly in their ruins later in the game. Most areas of the game are like this.

The bosses are exceptionally well designed. They are rarely the "shoot the weak point until it dies" sort of enemy. The bosses require knowledge of its attack patterns and weaknesses to defeat.

One thing that sets MP apart from other games is its method of storytelling. There is no narration or exposition. Instead, Samus can scan her environment and store logbook entries on creatures, mechanisms, lore, and a few other things. The last provides a vast backstory of Tallon IV and the present conflict. The narrative is entirely optional. In addition, the world of Tallon IV itself is beautifully realized. Visually, MP still holds up fairly well today.

I cannot talk about Metroid Prime without talking about its sequels. MP2 increases the difficultly, and contains more bosses. The third game is more linear and focuses instead on action, provides a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy's narrative (though in a less optional manner), and has some of the best boss fights in the series. Though neither reach the heights of the original MP, both are great games worth playing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1492 on: July 25, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »
I never played Metroid Prime 1, only 2. I tried playing 3 but I got bored of the linearity a bit quick.
I know my brother got MP1 so I have a copy of it somewhere, just need to get around to playing it  :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1493 on: July 25, 2015, 11:07:39 AM »
Played MP for the first time last year. It was the first game in a long time to enter my top 10  :hefdaddy
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1494 on: July 25, 2015, 04:03:02 PM »
I guess I'm a chump for only playing MP3. But I just had a Wii, and didn't feel like buying Gamecube stuff.

But based on my enjoyment of MP3, I reckon MP1 was the pinnacle, and reckon it is probably fantastic. Going on the 1st person transition, MP1 was a perfect translation of the Metroid world into 1st person.
---

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: July 25, 2015, 07:01:34 PM »
Loved the first Prime, but the sequel rocked my world. Maybe because I played it on the Trilogy edition, which adapted the gameplay to the Wii controls. It was a blast in every sense - few times had I been more iimmersed in a virtual world.

I was quite close to finishing Corruption but my brothers basically destroyed my Wiimotes, and they aren't cheap in my country  :'(

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1496 on: July 25, 2015, 10:03:11 PM »
Loved the first, was bored almost to tears by the second, haven't played the third.

Offline adace

« Reply #1497 on: July 26, 2015, 03:22:28 AM »
Love the Metroid Prime series :tup

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1498 on: July 26, 2015, 07:09:21 AM »
2. Super Mario Galaxy / Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)

Mario’s console debut was Super Mario Bros for the NES. After a fiasco involving the sequel, the series found its stride with Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, both of which are excellent releases.

Nintendo wanted to try something new with the release of the N64. Thus came Super Mario 64, one of the first 3D games. The formula set here, that of an open world with many objectives, is still found in many modern games. Though it is a landmark title, it has one crippling flaw: the filler. For example, many of the stages incorporate a tall structure in their designs. I can guarantee that at least two stars in these stages will require Mario to climb to the top and complete slightly different tasks. There is a lot of redundancy in the objectives, which hampers the strong level design.

Super Mario Sunshine is a controversial entry in the franchise. The camera is unfathomably awful at times, and there is even more filler than in SM64. In that game, any 70 of the 120 stars, with one exception, can be used to reach the final level. Here, 50 (technically 49) are needed. However, not any 50; a SPECIFIC 50 shines are needed to access Corona Mountain. Factor in the addition of FLUDD (which I actually liked), and it is easy to see why this game is disdained.

However, SMS succeeds in its superb level design. It is at its best in the “Secret” levels, where FLUDD is taken from Mario and he must advance using his other moves, only with no safety net in case a mistake is made. These levels suggested that there would be great things in the future of the franchise.

And boy, what a glorious future it was.

That brings me to the duo of Super Mario Galaxy games. I honestly cannot decide on which of these games I like better, so they share an entry. If I had to pick, I would likely lean towards the original, though the second is really close behind it.

The SMG titles are more reminiscent of the 2D Mario games than its 3D predecessors. The open environments are mostly dropped, though with a few notable exceptions, in favor of a more linear path for each level. There are no longer numerous ways to obtain certain stars like in SM64. In return, the level designs are focused and much stronger.

The main gimmick in these two games is the gravity mechanic. Each planet has its own gravity, and many sections require Mario to move between environments of contrasting gravitational properties. The second game focuses less on the gravity elements that were so prevalent in the first, and instead delivers levels more like the "Secret" stages in SMS.

Unlike the 2D Mario games, power-ups in the SMG titles serve more as puzzle elements rather than lasting upgrades. Each affects the way Mario can navigate his environment. The Ice Flower turns any water Mario comes into contact with into ice, allowing him to reach new areas. The Bee suit has a variety of fantastic attributes, such as the ability to cling to certain surfaces. Each greatly enhances the sections they are used in. Really, I cannot understate how amazing the level design in these games is.

I don't know where else to put this, but I wanted to mention that the games' soundtracks are phenomenal. I had both on my iPod at some point.

Now that I have given a general overview of these two titles, I want to discuss their differences. The biggest difference is in structure. SMG has a hub world similar to that of SM64 and SMS, though without all of the secrets. SMG2 is much more streamlined, and uses a world map instead. SMG features 15 main galaxies and a plethora of mini galaxies. The main galaxies have six stars: three main missions, two comets (which usually involve a level or section of a level with special parameters, such as limited health or sped up mechanisms), and a secret star. The mini galaxies are fast, one-off levels. In SMG2, galaxies have either two or three stars, with a maximum of 2 main missions. Consequently, the galaxies do not feel as fleshed out as in the first game. This leads me into the biggest difference in design philosophy between the two.

SMG tends to take its ideas, and use them to their fullest potential. This is usually a good thing, even though some ideas overstay their welcome. The second game is more about quantity; it introduces an idea or mechanic, and then switches to something completely different, even if the previous idea had significant unexplored potential. While the game is never boring as a result of its variety, I wish that it had explored some ideas further.

Next up is the post game. After beating Bowser in SMG, purple coin missions become available in all 15 main galaxies. These levels tend to be either timed, linear expeditions or open-world exploration stages. Some of my favorite levels in the game are purple coin missions. With these levels, the total number of stars goes up to 120. Beating Bowser again after collecting all of them unlocks Super Luigi Galaxy, which is the exact same game with changes in dialogue, a few levels, and the controls. Once the game is completed as Luigi, a short epilogue level is unlocked.

SMG2 does much better in the post-game department. Beating Bowser the first time unlocks World S, which is mostly comprised of levels and segments reprised from SMG and SMS. After collecting all 120 stars, green stars are unlocked in every galaxy. These are often out of the way, and tend to require perfect execution of tricky jumps to obtain. I much prefer this to simply replaying the game. After completing this quest, the final level is unlocked. Grandmaster Galaxy, and specifically "The Perfect Run", are fucking brutal.

Now that I have briefly touched on the differences, which do I prefer? SMG2's average level is of a consistently higher quality than SMG's typical level (especially in terms of comet levels, which are much more varied and provide more meaningful differences from the base level in the sequel), but the very best levels in SMG (in other words, anything from Freeze Flame, Toy Time, and Melty Molten, along with a select few other stars) easily beat anything from the sequel. Despite the few criticisms I have thrown at the games, I consider both to be excellent titles, and the highest point in Mario's history.

---

So, any guesses as to the identity of my #1? I will give two hints: it is the oldest game on my list, and no one else (that I can recall) has placed it on their lists.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1499 on: July 26, 2015, 07:15:48 AM »
I'm calling it now. Custer's Revenge for #1.

I've never played either of the Super Mario Galaxy games, or really seen that much of them, as I've never owned or played a Wii (yet). I mostly enjoyed Sunshine aside from the on-FLUDD platforming levels due to the twitchiness of Mario's controls, but I never finished it, or probably even got close. I've seen Super Mario 3D World, and that looks like a cool game.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1500 on: July 26, 2015, 07:20:31 AM »
 :tup

Won't guess #1 since I don't feel like going through 40 pages

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1501 on: July 26, 2015, 11:52:40 AM »
I will never understand what people see in SMG. The whole sphere gimmick got old for me approximately one second after it started.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1502 on: July 26, 2015, 12:03:16 PM »
Zelda for #1  ;)
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1503 on: July 26, 2015, 12:22:26 PM »
I will never understand what people see in SMG. The whole sphere gimmick got old for me approximately one second after it started.

The variable gravity allowed for more varied level designs. The best levels are still those that do not overly rely on it, though. Their prevalence is overstated, especially in the second game.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: July 26, 2015, 01:24:27 PM »
Both games are brilliant :hefdaddy.

Superman 64 as #1.