Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231688 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. “It's-a me, Mario!”
« Reply #1295 on: May 14, 2015, 02:34:28 PM »
Played Super Mario 64 recently, thought it was a great game.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. “It's-a me, Mario!”
« Reply #1296 on: May 15, 2015, 07:06:08 AM »
SM64 is amazing.  The nostalgia and the way it changed from 2d to 3d was amazing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Fus ro-dah!
« Reply #1297 on: May 17, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »
Honorable mention

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Now here's another game in which I've spent 100+ hours on the first game, 65+ on the second, and around 30 on the last one. I got all the 3 expansions, and beat them all. Completed all the important side quests, joined every possible guild, and explored the vast majority of Skyrim and its ruins. I owned 3 houses. Met most of the Daedra gods.

So it basically makes you feel like a fucking hero all the way through. Looking for character development? Internal conflicts? A complex plot made up by dozens of complex characters? Dislike fantasy cliches? This is exactly the opposite to all of that. A mute protagonist, who is the Dragonborn. And has to bring peace to a conflictive land. Goes to study the power of the voice with its masters. Joins guilds. Can learn magic and alchemy. Can be a thief. Or a tank warrior, with heavy armors and weapons. And more.

I should have hated it. Deeply. Somehow, I became an addict. Maybe its the never-ending amount of missions, side-quests, places to explore, habilities to improve, items to gather. Maybe the ridiculous amount of personalization has something to do. Could the aesthetics and a totally gorgeous OST had an influence on it?

I'm not sure. Played non-stop for almost a year since it came out in 2011, and its been a while now since I've immersed myself into one of Tamriel's finest provinces. The Elder Scrolls Online seems to be doing fine, but I'll wait for the next game on the series. It might not be the pinnacle of RPGs, nor even on of the best games of the year, but it'll surely be a hell lot of fun.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Fus ro-dah!
« Reply #1298 on: May 17, 2015, 01:31:40 PM »
And that's the last update before the #1. Any guesses? ;D

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1299 on: May 17, 2015, 01:36:31 PM »
Gonna play it safe and say Ocarina of Time.

Offline adace

« Reply #1300 on: May 17, 2015, 04:06:48 PM »
Skyrim is amazing. Great pick :tup

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1301 on: May 17, 2015, 05:34:13 PM »
Tennis for Two
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1302 on: May 17, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »
Big Rigs Over the Road Racing. You had better not disappoint.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1303 on: May 17, 2015, 07:12:35 PM »
---

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1304 on: May 17, 2015, 07:31:06 PM »
"Solve my maze"  :facepalm:

Fuckin rings...

and worst of all, I got that shit as a birthday present.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: May 18, 2015, 11:26:29 AM »
You guys are so close... ;D

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1306 on: May 18, 2015, 02:49:11 PM »
You guys are so close... ;D

Link: The Faces of Evil?
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1307 on: May 18, 2015, 03:26:30 PM »
Way ahead of you.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1308 on: May 18, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »
In all fairness, me an my boy back in 98 played the shit out of Redneck rampage. Good times

wait a minute, that ain't  redneck rampage, my bad

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: May 18, 2015, 05:58:56 PM »
 :lol seems solid

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: May 18, 2015, 09:35:08 PM »
I'll give you a small hint: it's a legendary title  ;D .

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1311 on: May 18, 2015, 11:59:33 PM »
okkarina of tim

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: May 19, 2015, 06:29:39 AM »
The original, Legend of Zelda

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1313 on: May 19, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »
mejjeri's mosk

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1314 on: May 19, 2015, 11:45:44 AM »
Wiened Wacker

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. More than a legend...
« Reply #1315 on: May 19, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
When I said legendary, I meant, literally legendary.

Polybius

I've played it.

Several years ago, on some obscure gaming forums someone posted a link to a legendary title. One that is said that was so addictive and dangerous, that it cause convulsions, nausea, and even mind-control. Of course I thought it was pure bullshit, but I couldn't resist. Downloaded MAME, put on my best headphones, turned off the lights. And ran it. The screen featured above appeared. And I hit play.

I was immediately surrounded by flashlights, squares, circles, and icons that seemed optical illusions, at high speeds. My eyes took a while to get used to. The controls were prehistoric. Didn't understand the purpose of the game. Lost several times. But then... something clicked. A part of my mind started to understand what was going on. I didn't, just followed my intuition. And played. And played for hours. Each level, ever changing. New patterns. Visual puzzles. Hidden commands. My immersion (and obsession) was absolute. Although I didn't fully understand it, there was something that got me hooked. And I didn't stop playing for several hours, until I had to go to bed.

But trying to get up off the chair was a titanic task that required energy I didn't have - the game had sucked it all. Managed to stand up and walk to the kitchen for some water, but fell off. My mother found me there the following day, worried. I assured her I was playing with the cat but fell asleep there. But recalling what happened... it paralyzed my body just thinking about it. Promised to delete and forget about it.  But couldn't. To be honest, I had a severe addiction. Spent the following weeks just playing it. Failed several tests, but didn't care.

Things got worse. In my obsession to decipher what was that totally cryptic title, I barely talked to anybody. Or eat. Just took brief pauses to go to the toilet, after finishing a level. And even started missing classes. Something told me I was near the end. But couldn't imagine what was about. To screw it up more, the so-mentioned effects started. First, some nausea, and headaches. It grew towards blurry vision, a heart arrhythmia, and me fainting immediately after touching my bed. My hands were shaky, and body weak and hungry. But I was decided to beat it.

Then, one day, almost a month after it started... I reached the last level. It was basically a recap of all the previous ones, with old puzzles, but at ridiculous speed. It was long. Long enough to last half an hour and still don't reach the middle. My body screamed for me to stop, and I realized I *needed* to do so. But couldn't. It was stronger than me. It almost consumed all my energy. My parents thought I was sick, but I'd been in a terrible mood so they didn't know what to do with me. I just stuck playing, because if I lost, I had to start it all from the beginning.

And... after the last puzzle... a screen appeared. It told me to get a certain video from the local video-shop. But because I wasn't in Portland, there was no way I could see it. Someone had modified the file, for there was another screen after that one, including a YouTube link, explaining he/she had managed to upload the recording. It was the time to see what was after such an insane experience. If you're curious and don't want to play it (I don't have the rom anymore, and the forum was deleted some years ago), here's the link. After it, I deleted the game. Went to the kitchen, ate something, and stared through the window. Something that had been inside me was finally released, and now there was a void. But... I realized I had beaten something that was mostly a creepy pasta. No, I had done something more.

I conquered a legend.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. More than a legend...
« Reply #1316 on: May 19, 2015, 04:05:15 PM »
lol i'd never heard of this before now, so i thought you were being for reals

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1317 on: May 19, 2015, 05:31:39 PM »
you could at least be more clever with your links

i mean

link to an image of link

like for real

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1318 on: May 19, 2015, 09:09:52 PM »
I don't even care if it's not real, or that it's the result of an early creepypasta or some urban legend. The entire concept behind Polybius fascinates the hell out of me.

So what's your actual #1? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1319 on: May 19, 2015, 09:22:46 PM »
Apparently its based on the game Tempest, which had a similar effect?  According to wikipedia, which is a reliable source as any, I know

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1320 on: May 19, 2015, 09:24:04 PM »
It's not real? Then what the hell have I just been playing for the past half hour? And why is my nose bleeding?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1321 on: May 19, 2015, 09:57:54 PM »
So what's your actual #1? :lol

The legendary Megaman Legends 2.

:P
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1322 on: May 19, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »
It's not real? Then what the hell have I just been playing for the past half hour? And why is my nose bleeding?

That happened to me when I got hooked on that Kim Kardashian game.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1323 on: May 19, 2015, 10:31:19 PM »
that Kim Kardashian game

ASSassin's Creed
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1324 on: May 19, 2015, 10:44:03 PM »
ASSteroids

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1325 on: May 20, 2015, 01:04:26 AM »
CASStlevania

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1326 on: May 20, 2015, 03:45:21 AM »
Link to the pASSt

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1327 on: May 20, 2015, 04:20:04 AM »
lol, to be honest, I didn`t ever believe that Polybius really existed. I still think it`s some kind of creepypasta which was just made up by some guys. You didn`t change that, since there is still risk you`re just trolling us.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sorry it took me this long - my writeup went crazy and had to heavily edit it to make sense. I don't even expect you to read it, but please, give this game a chance.

Mega Man Legends 2

I can even remember how, after beating the first Legends title, I found out there was a sequel. But a copy wasn't in my town - there was no way to find it. So one day my mother went to the nearest major city, and reached to every single videogame store - spent basically the entire day just looking for it. And only on the last shop they said they "could get it". So she ordered it. And a few weeks later I traveled just to get it. But I had forgotten the name of the store! My father was a bit pissed off for walking all day around, but I finally retrieved the shop's name. And when I finally had the game on my bare hands... Who would have guessed it was but the beginning of an obsession? You can clearly see it, for 1) I have beaten the Legends Trilogy over and over, 2) two of the games made the top (and one honorable mention), and 3) as with all my fav games, I have replayed it countless times, on the PSOne, the PS2, and on emulators - it didn't matter. It was only the last time (around 2-3 years) that my English was good enough to understand the plot (there's no spanish version). I shit myself that day.

But how... how do you start describing your feels towards something like this? One would think that it should be easy to talk about your all-time fav game, 'cause there are many things to love about it, right? A perfect, 10/10, title, one of the best creations of humankind, huh? Well... no. At all.

Megaman Legends is not the best game ever made, not even close. It has several flaws, like a huge weapon arsenal, but very little time to try them. And not enough money, or an easy way to get it, to improve them to the max. Some side missions, are totally ridiculous with a near-impossible difficulty. Some levels could have a better design. And there could be a couple more of extra quests. There's some lack of NPCs, and the ones that are don't have much interesting things to day. Although hard to beat, there's little replay value on most of the ruins, with a few exceptions (like using a drill to get to secret parts). And some maps feel a bit empty...

But I don't care. Not in the slightest. I don't expect people to like this as much as myself, for Megaman Legends 2 resonates in a deep level with me. It has all I love about games - it appeals to my curiosity and sense of exploration. And my story-lover side. Let me explain a bit.

A few years after the events of the first game, it all starts with MegaMan and Roll watching a TV news report about their grandfather, Gramps. He has reunited with an old friend of his, Von Bleucher. They both are respected Diggers, for their discoveries have helped humanity reach a better understanding of ruins and refractors. Thirty years ago Bleucher and his friend Barrel traveled to and returned from Forbidden Island, but didn't get too far into it. Bleucher is enormously wealthy and has always desired to return to that place. And he is finally going to make his (and Gramps') dream true - to find the Mother Lode, a legendary treasure believed to have infinite energy. Their best guess is that is located somewhere on the island, a place near the North Pole, completely frozen and inaccessible due to the huge storms that cover it. After all this time, Bleucher has spent his fortune building the world's largest air ship, the Sulpher Bottom. And it's confident it will allow him to reach the mighty treasure.

But something goes wrong. For a mysterious woman appears in the middle of their conference, and starts giving a rather cryptic talk about the dangers and the disaster it happen if they set ground on the island.  "Has it occurred to you that this great lost treasure might not be what you think it is?" she says. "What happens to you is no concern of mine. Still, I'll give you this warning! What you call the "Mother Lode" is not what you think it might be! No, it's not a treasure at all - it's a *catastrophe* waiting to happen!". Then, a giant machine flies by the windows, breaking them. And she jumps. She's now on-board a silver robot eagle, and shoots and damages the ship's engines. MegaMan and Roll can't believe it, and set to rescue their grandfather. After going to and returning from Forbidden Island, it is revealed that to gain access to the Motherlode, he has to gather 4 keys. But they're sealed on old, dangerous ruins all over the world. And The Bonnes (and other pirates) are behind them. But this is just the tip of the iceberg. The beginning of a complex story, with an amazing worldbuilding behind, that will solve many questions the previous game raised.

New characters and arcs appear. What happened to Roll's parents? Why is she living with MegaMan, if he isn't her brother? Who's that mysterious woman who attacked the Sulpher Bottom? What was all that shit that Juno talked to MegaMan at the end of the previous game? WHERE IS THE F*CKING MOTHER LODE? But more important, the one that drives it all: Who is *actually* this blue-boy, MegaMan Volnutt?

Because Roll has sold all of MegaMan's weapons (WTF!?) to improve Flutter (their ship-floating-house), he has to explore the world and its ruins, obtain new upgrades and buster parts. And find schematics and miscellaneous stuff that Roll can turn into weapons. This time, the ruins are far more creative than on MML1. Not only there are new enemies, but the levels have multiple traps, hidden rooms, panels where you can download the whole map or the location of interesting items. Another novelty is the addition of the Digger's license. MegaMan has to pass the Digger's Guild tests in order to gain access to more dangerous ruins - and those are an inferno to pass them, for you have little time and lots of enemies. And one attempt. No pressure. Also, the special weapons are amazing, with one for each kind of playing style.

What I love most of this game is how *unique* it is. The worldbuilding, the ruins and the Diggers, the pirates, the anime-like visual style (it looks superb for a PS1 title), a complex plot, the gorgeous OST, the reaverbots - this is a mix of great idea after great idea. Rating Mega Man Legends 2 low for being a quite different Mega Man title, and therefore a bad one, and not for its own qualities, is stupid. No, you don't have platforms, neither a fat Dr. nor weird final enemies. This is an adventure game, with some RPG elements. And I love it. Not despite its flaws, but for them. Because reaching perfection is impossible. We humans are flawed by nature. Nature is flawed and chaotic. But somehow, it's an organized chaos. And has a perfect balance. MegaMan Legends 2 is no different. Some might see it as a bag of bad ideas that don't make sense. Some might think it's just a fun game. But what I can see, is all the love these developers had for their art. And I find that to be the greatest of the inspirations.

It would all have remained as a happy nostalgic feeling but something broke my heart. Back in September 2010, Capcom announced the development of MegaMan Legends 3. Just imagine how extremely excited I was! And because I knew the series had a very dedicated, loyal fanbase, I followed the project on the Devroom. It also had the collaboration of fans for deciding artwork and character design! Capcom even made some demos that looked amazing, and was about to release them in the 3DS store to partly finance the project. And it was lead by Keiji Inafune, who had produced the series, and has several times confessed Legends were his fav MegaMan games. They ere some glorious months.

But... Inafune left Capcom some months later. And some weeks after the split, in 2011, the project... was... canceled. I cried, or tried, because I felt so empty I doubted I had any tears left. My childhood dreams, broken, tore into freaking small pieces, turn into ash, and pissed by fucking japanese directives. Why Capcom? WHY? Nobody could give a precise answer. But us fans didn't stop there. We created the "GetMeOffTheMoon" project, and made a FB page called "100,000 Strong for Bringing Back Mega Man Legends 3", which as of now has reached 99K likes. But the company still has no plans on retaking the project. It's been 4 years now, and there's still a lot of activity on the page. More recently since The Misadventures of Tron Bonne has been *finally* released on the US PSN for just $6 (go and get it please). I just have hopes that the remaining titles of the series will some day make an appearance there, but for now, the only way to show Capcom support for the trilogy is by buying that game. Inafune has stated that he still want to make the game, but to get the licenses, and some publishing and marketing, without naming the development costs... It's unlikely that will ever happen anytime soon. Or never. I can forget Capcom's stupid moves, but I'll never forget when they betrayed their fanbase. All that's left for me is replaying MegaMan Legends 2 once more. I wonder if it will still be, in many years, my favorite videogame. I have hopes it will.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: May 21, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »
Thank you for being patient enough to let me finish the list! :blush

The legendary Megaman Legends 2.

Was it too obvious? Just curious :P .