Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 234748 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. It's-a me, ReaperKK! (pg. 28)
« Reply #1050 on: February 27, 2015, 10:11:57 PM »
Goldeneye is about the start and end of my care for FPS games. Multiplayer on that was a hell of a lot of fun, and the single player missions really stood out. Total classic. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1051 on: February 28, 2015, 10:16:06 AM »
You are not missing much in my opinion Blob.  ;) But I am probably way too biased towards older games.

One of the many cool things about Goldeneye is it was a great licensed game, and followed the movie pretty well.
---

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1052 on: February 28, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »
You are not missing much in my opinion Blob.  ;) But I am probably way too biased towards older games.

Same. :lol I've played many later FPS games, but they all blur together to me, and I find them mostly boring, occasional multiplayer/coop moments aside. I think a lot of the reason Goldeneye has always still stood out to me is because of the Bond factor. I like the atmosphere of the Bond type settings and missions, the characters, the awesome music. More interesting than shooting aliens, or fighting wars for me.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: February 28, 2015, 01:40:11 PM »
I still can't believe such a small team put together goldeneye together.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: March 01, 2015, 02:11:08 PM »
09. GTA Vice City (PC 2002)

GTA Vice City is best GTA IMO. The game was perfect blend of atmosphere, music and really fun gameplay. GTA III which was the first of the 3rd person GTA games was a great entry into the 3rd person world but Vice City perfected it.

You play as Tommy in 1986 in Vice City which is inspired by South Beach Miami. You start the game newly released from prison working up through the ranks and gaining control of the city. As typical of GTA the game if full of unique characters and unique missions all while having some of the best 80's music to listen to. The game had tons of cars as well as motorcycles and boats you could steal and a huge area for you to explore.

I've played every GTA released and while some are more technically impressive this game clicked for me the most all due to setting, story, and soundtrack.

08. Borderlands 2 (PC 2012)

Looking for a great co-op game with funky art style and nearly countless weapons? Look no further than Borderlands 2.

I picked this game up in one of the countless steam sales, I got a copy for myself and for my brother. We spent the following couple of weeks playing this game whenever we were both free. It's simply a fun game to play. There are a lot of rpg elements to this game and with the random gun stat generator you have nearly infinite weapon combinations. The game has a great sense of humour with some really nice cell shaded graphics.

You play as a vault hunter in search of a vault as Handsome Jack tries to search and kill you. You don't need to play the first Borderlands to play, this was my first introduction to the series and I didn't feel lost.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1055 on: March 01, 2015, 02:16:08 PM »
The FPS genre does not really appeal to me outside of a few specific titles, and Borderlands 2 is one of them.  :tup Nice pick.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1056 on: March 01, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
Sweet! How far along are you?

I missed this, because Braid.  Haha.  I just finished it last night.  Tbh, the story's a bit of a mindfuck, not really sure what's going on with it, what'd you make of it Reaps??  Great game though, love the different variables in each world.  Thanks for turning me on ( ;) )

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: March 01, 2015, 02:38:16 PM »
Sweet! How far along are you?

I missed this, because Braid.  Haha.  I just finished it last night.  Tbh, the story's a bit of a mindfuck, not really sure what's going on with it, what'd you make of it Reaps??  Great game though, love the different variables in each world.  Thanks for turning me on ( ;) )

Small size for spoliers
Basically how I view the game is that you spend the entire game trying to save the princess. At the end when you're finally chasing her down and the whole scene gets played in forward you realize that she is setting traps for you that you're evading so you're the one she is running from.

The whole game is supposed to be a metaphor to the Manhattan project which is where the quote at the end comes from. Not sure if I saw that in the game but I did love the way it ended. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1058 on: March 01, 2015, 02:52:36 PM »
Do we need spoilers for a 6 year old video game?

Anyway, from what Jonathan Blow has said about Braid, there are a number of different elements to the story and the ending, and so there isn't only one interpretation. The Manhattan project one is interesting, but I was much more moved by the personal one about the relationship between Tim and the princess (which was also how I interpreted it when I finished it). Very, very powerful stuff I thought.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline j

« Reply #1059 on: March 01, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
but I was much more moved by the personal one about the relationship between Tim and the princess (which was also how I interpreted it when I finished it). Very, very powerful stuff I thought.

Hmm, I'm not familiar with this interpretation (and it's been a few years since I played the game).  Anywhere I can read about it?

-J

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1060 on: March 01, 2015, 09:48:38 PM »
I honestly think VC is my favorite of them all. III blew my mind, but VC improved so much on the formula and had such personality to it. Loved the 80's Scarface vibe and the introduction of the motorcycles really is what made me fall in love with it. A hand ful of indoor locations (which I love) and and nice, large but concise map that didn't feel overboard huge like San Andreas. (Imo)

VC was just the perfect balance of everything. Can't say enough good things.

It really a toss up between VC and V.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:54:55 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1061 on: March 01, 2015, 09:56:47 PM »
I just created my top 25. Put me down on the waiting list!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1062 on: March 02, 2015, 12:05:42 AM »
but I was much more moved by the personal one about the relationship between Tim and the princess (which was also how I interpreted it when I finished it). Very, very powerful stuff I thought.

Hmm, I'm not familiar with this interpretation (and it's been a few years since I played the game).  Anywhere I can read about it?

-J
I think this is quite a good article that captures both stories under a theory more generally about obsession: https://www.examiner.com/article/braid-is-not-about-a-boy-chasing-a-girl-1

It also refers to this article specifically focussing on Tim's obsession with the princess: https://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2008/08/11/hair-pulling-and-braid-weaving/
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:21:08 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: March 02, 2015, 12:18:49 AM »
I love VC, easily my favourite GTA game. I played 3 afterwards, so I found that a little lacking, and I've found later games very disappointing, especially SA. I have many many fond memories of Hunter helicopters and VRock. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: March 02, 2015, 05:44:37 AM »
VC had just one of the coolest environments of any GTA game.  The whole Miami and Scarface feel made it so much fun.  It was also top of the line sandbox game at that time. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1065 on: March 02, 2015, 06:12:10 AM »
I'd be shocked if Rockstar didn't go back to Vice City for the next GTA game. GTA VI-CE CITY (see what I did there?). I think the demand is there, and I know many fans would love a version of Vice City with the scale of GTA V. I don't know how well the 80's vibe would work out with this generation though. Fourteen years is a long time. I don't know if the younger gamers would appreciate it. My guess is that'd it'd be Vice City today.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:42:23 AM by Chino »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: March 02, 2015, 06:24:31 AM »
I don't know where I read this (probably reddit) but there are some rumors going around that they are going to go back to vice city.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: March 02, 2015, 06:27:13 AM »
I don't know where I read this (probably reddit) but there are some rumors going around that they are going to go back to vice city.

Well at this point it only makes sense since they already redid Liberty City and San Andreas, but I wouldn't be opposed to something different say not in the USA.  Tokyo or Paris or Rome or maybe if they could do something bigger like a subset of Europe that included a few major cities.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: March 02, 2015, 06:34:02 AM »
I'm expecting they'll go back to a modern day Vice City. It makes sense given that the last two games were Liberty City and San Andreas. They need a Vice City game in the HD era.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1069 on: March 02, 2015, 06:41:57 AM »

Well at this point it only makes sense since they already redid Liberty City and San Andreas, but I wouldn't be opposed to something different say not in the USA.  Tokyo or Paris or Rome or maybe if they could do something bigger like a subset of Europe that included a few major cities.

I don't think Rockstar would ever take the game outside of the US. Too many of its sales come from the US. Personally, I would not want to play a game in Tokyo or Paris (or any non-english country). A lot of the fun in GTA comes from the city and the people walking around in it. If I can't read anything in the city or understand what people are saying to one another, I'm not going to like it much.

I'm expecting they'll go back to a modern day Vice City. It makes sense given that the last two games were Liberty City and San Andreas. They need a Vice City game in the HD era.

It'd be awesome if we could get a multi-era GTA game. You play as a crime family over three generations and can play the map in three different eras. How sick would it be to be able to play in Vice City throughout the 40's, the 80's, and then the 2020's?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: March 02, 2015, 07:34:31 AM »
It'd be awesome if we could get a multi-era GTA game. You play as a crime family over three generations and can play the map in three different eras. How sick would it be to be able to play in Vice City throughout the 40's, the 80's, and then the 2020's?

Is it wrong that the first thing this made me think of was the difference eras of Back to the Future? :lol :blob:

I think they've established too much of their own world to set a major GTA title somewhere else, plus America likes America too much.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: March 03, 2015, 04:09:48 PM »
Sorry for missing a day, I was out apartment hunting and just couldn't find the time yesterday.

07. Return To Castle Wolfenstein (PC 2001)

At first I thought that this was just another Quake 3 clone shooter but I was mistaken. This game was a great rebirth of the series and it was largely due to the multiplayer aspect of the game. 

I don't really remember much of the single player as I quickly flew by it but the multiplayer was boss. It was really well balanced, fun, and fast. You even had airstrikes to call in to help you clear lines of Axis players out. The game had many modes to play and honestly each and every one was fun to play. This game was before the market was flooded with WW2 shooters and it really stood out, some of the best gaming moments I've ever had were in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

06. BioShock: Infinite (PC 2013)

I've always heard about the BioShock games but I never had that time to play them until BioShock Infinite was bundled with my video card. Bored one night I downloaded the game and decided to take it for a spin. Next thing I know 4 hours flew by.

This is my first introduction into the BioShock series. I knew absolutely nothing about the series. The moment I was shot into the clouds to land at the city of Columbia I couldn't stop playing. The story was unlike anything I ever played. I loved every bit of it, I loved the style of the game and I loved the setting. The game was simply gorgeous and I was looking forward to playing it every day until I finished, which was a feeling I haven't had in a long time.

You play as Booker DeWitt and you have one simple task, to go to Columbia, a city in the clouds, and bring back a girl to wipe away debit that you owe. I won't go much further beyond that but the story is large reason you should play this game.

I later on played BioShock 1 & 2 and those are really great games but my heart is with Infinite, it was just a much more charming game.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1072 on: March 03, 2015, 08:32:22 PM »
Bioshock Infinite is a game I really need to play soon, I've had it on steam for ages and everyone seems to agree it's great  :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1073 on: March 03, 2015, 09:03:29 PM »
Bioshock Infinite is a game I really need to play soon, I've had it on steam for ages and everyone seems to agree it's great  :lol

Me too but i wouldn't start with the 3rd game of the franchise  :P
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: March 03, 2015, 09:04:40 PM »
I did and like I said I don't think I really missed anything. It really stood well as it's own story.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1075 on: March 03, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »
This talk made me put Bioshock Infinite on the buy list.
---

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1076 on: March 04, 2015, 08:10:31 AM »

Me too but i wouldn't start with the 3rd game of the franchise  :P
good thing I've played Bioshock 1 then :P

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1077 on: March 04, 2015, 12:32:46 PM »
I did and like I said I don't think I really missed anything. It really stood well as it's own story.

Just discovered that Infinite takes place several decades earlier than the first two Bioshock games :facepalm:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: March 04, 2015, 01:06:03 PM »
For the last five I'm going to post one game at a time, here we go:

05. SkyRim (PC 2011)

It's hard to find gamers who haven't played SkyRim and there is a good reason why. The game is incredible and vast in every aspect. I never played Oblivion and I did play a little bit of Morrowind when it was first released but I was never really interested in playing past the first hours.

I hopped on the hype train for SkyRim and it was one of the few games that didn't disappoint. You start off as a prisoner set for execution. As you get into position to get your head lobbed off a dragon attack happens. You escape with your life and then you're free to roam SkyRim. There is a main story line but the beauty of the game was how many different paths you can choose. There were so many quests that you can do, if you got bored doing the main quest you can join the assassins guild, or maybe try and make friends with the thieves guild.

Aside from the wide variety of weapons that you can choose from this game brings another element to the combat and that is in the forms of shouts. You are dragonborn and as you explore dungeons you learn new shouts. There are many to choose from, you can push your enemies off a cliff, or run past them flash style.

The game has so much to explore that you can literally put hundreds of hours into the game. Not to mention you have endless mods as well as three expansions to further expand the game.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1079 on: March 04, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
I played Skyrim for 250 hours and had just beaten the main campaign. That game was a lot of fun. I eagerly await it's followup.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1080 on: March 04, 2015, 01:55:25 PM »
This talk made me put Bioshock Infinite on the buy list.
You're in for a treat. The Bioshock series might be my fav trilogy of games ever, each title it's superb on it's own. And although I loved Infinity (dat mindfuck ending :eek ), my heart belongs to Bioshock 2. It's emotional power stroke so hard on me, unlike any other game.

Skyirim is kind of overrated IMO, but I enjoyed it a lot anyways. Spent around 100+ hours on my first time, 60+ on the second one and just 14~17 the last time. With the 3 expansions. Amazing title.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1081 on: March 04, 2015, 02:05:08 PM »
I think I spent around 150 hours on Skyrim, and I am nowhere near done with exploration and sidequests. I still play it every once in a while.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: March 06, 2015, 08:33:37 AM »
04. Half-Life (PC 1998)

Half-Life is the perfect single-player FPS. The story is rich and the gameplay is fresh and innovative. The game takes you on a journey as a theoretical physicist Gordan Freeman as you attempt to escape the Black Mesa facility after an experiment goes wrong.

The game just sets everything apart from other FPS at the time. I was young when I first played HL and there was nothing like it. The way the game played out was like a movie, I couldn't wait to get home from school and pick up as Gordan. Half-life is a perfect blend of puzzles, story, and action not to mention the graphics were stellar.

Half-Life really changed PC FPS games, not only was there a great single payer aspect but the community had some really incredible mods that always had you coming back.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: March 06, 2015, 08:50:13 AM »
I tried playing Half Life once. Found it boring and dull as hell, even for an FPS.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: March 06, 2015, 08:55:18 AM »
I can understand people finding it boring. Some parts can take a long time to complete, I feel like Half-Life 2 had a lot of sections like that.