Author Topic: How easy can DT be bypassed?  (Read 6374 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: How easy can DT be bypassed?
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2014, 01:17:09 AM »
DT has been in my top ten for many years and they will always remain there.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2014, 02:37:05 AM »
Agreed, yet from where I'm standing, saying that "Haken has raised the bar on what progressive metal is today." is just as invalid as tiagodon's statement.

Well, not really.  What I said comes more from an opinion standpoint.  I never claimed what I said to be fact by stating absolutes.  Although, I probably should have said "progressive rock" instead of "progressive metal".  Still, it is my belief that Haken is producing some of the most solid musical arrangements in the business right now, regardless of what category they fall into.
I just stated my opinion as well. While your statement is far more acceptable and sustainable by arguments, I still disagree with it, just as I disagree with the other one. I'm not a Sith to deal in absolutes. :) I listened to quite a lot of Haken, but never had the feeling that "wow, these guys are raising the bar musically", like I had with some fusion groups (Planet X back in the day, Niacin, and more recently, Virgil Donati's new solo album). They had some moments I really liked and found interesting, like the Nintendo part in Insomnia or Cockroach King, in its Gentle Giant-esque glory (a band which raised the prog rock bar higher than everyone else back in the '70s), but I could never quite grasp the huge appreciation they get from some people. What is your favorite Haken song, btw?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2014, 08:13:07 AM »
Yeah, yeah, Virgil Donati's In This Life. That's an over-the-top piece!

Btw, I was a little bit unfair towards Haken. Sorry about that!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2014, 07:42:33 PM »
I agree with Sysca's assessment of Haken. It's all well-executed and indeed has some quite good moments, but it's hardly breaking any new ground, which IMHO is a key ingredient for a prog band.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2014, 08:32:37 AM »
Haken is great, but their proposal is a very different one. They are not heavy, their musical phrases are simple, they are very easy-listening... Maybe prog for beginners. Hard to compare with DT. Well, I can put his way: Haken is kindergarten. DT is high school.

:lol  I'm wondering just how much of Haken you've actually heard. 
Gotta admit, I wondered the same thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2014, 12:32:20 PM »
Haken is great, but their proposal is a very different one. They are not heavy, their musical phrases are simple, they are very easy-listening... Maybe prog for beginners. Hard to compare with DT. Well, I can put his way: Haken is kindergarten. DT is high school.

Yes, their 3 albums - Aquarius, Visions and The Mountain.

Let me make myself a little bit clearer: in average, a Haken song bears some complexity, because it changes tempo, has many chords, heavier and faster parts, more melodic and slower parts and so on... But the musical phrases are simple. The guitar lines, the keyboard lines, they all fit well in the overall picture but they have no technnical complexity.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
Why does it have to be technical to the 100th dergree to be good?

JP's best line ever it the one lasting note at the end of the "Razor's Edge".  That single, emotion filled note is his better than any run or scale he has ever played.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2014, 05:53:44 PM »
While I agree with your basic premise king, Razor's Edge bores me to tears, so I wouldn't pick that as an example. :lol
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »
While I agree with your basic premise king, Razor's Edge bores me to tears, so I wouldn't pick that as an example. :lol

You are in the minority my friend.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2014, 09:36:16 PM »

You are in the minority my friend.

A minority of about one.

Been there before. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2014, 09:56:59 PM »
Eh, I think I've had this discussion with Blob once or ten times before, but I don't mind being in the minority...

... because I am obviously correct.  :D

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2014, 10:06:19 PM »
I think the solo is alright, but Razor's Edge on the whole is a snoozefest and a pretty clichéd ending for an epic.

Anyway, LITS is a great example of JP's tasteful playing :hefdaddy

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2014, 07:45:53 AM »
So because it's clichéd, it's bad?! :lol

sorry but that one note, which has been done on many songs is pure emotion and it so much better than a run that has a million note, which BTW is  clichéd as well. :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2014, 07:53:45 AM »
I don't dislike it because it's clichéd, I dislike it because I find it boring.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2014, 07:54:43 AM »

No, it doesn't. I was just justifying why I said earlier that Haken was kindergaten and DT was high school.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2014, 09:29:53 AM »

No, it doesn't. I was just justifying why I said earlier that Haken was kindergaten and DT was high school.

I guess that argument can be made (in terms of technical ability), though I'm not sure what it's setting out to prove, or what merit it has, if any.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2014, 10:29:22 AM »
No merit at all. Life's a bitch!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2014, 01:52:50 PM »

Let me make myself a little bit clearer: in average, a Haken song bears some complexity, because it changes tempo, has many chords, heavier and faster parts, more melodic and slower parts and so on... But the musical phrases are simple. The guitar lines, the keyboard lines, they all fit well in the overall picture but they have no technnical complexity.

Not everything hinges on complexity or technicality alone.  Musical phrasing can be simple with a complex arrangement.  Anybody can throw in complex technicality, but that doesn't always mean it's good for the song.  Haken blends a lot of crucial elements both simple and complex.  Overall songwriting is what I'm talking about.  Simple or not, Haken is doing it as good as anybody these days if not better.

JP's best line ever it the one lasting note at the end of the "Razor's Edge".  That single, emotion filled note is his better than any run or scale he has ever played.

Agreed.  Although, I like a lot of JP's faster and complex shredding, his slower more emotional type stuff is even better and I think RE is one of the best endings to an awesome epic that I've ever heard.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2014, 02:01:26 PM »
DT was definitely my gateway band to whole new kinds of music.  But I never left DT behind for that music, I just added it to the music I already loved.  And as far as this particular genre of music, I find there are few bands that measure up to the quality of DT.  But that's just me.

This sums up my stance perfectly.

I can't stand Haken, and I still think you're dead wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."