Author Topic: How easy can DT be bypassed?  (Read 6375 times)

Offline tiagodon

How easy can DT be bypassed?
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:15:58 PM »

This is an interesting issue to me. Let me explain.

I know maybe 5 or 6 guys that love DT. No more.
They all have gone through a very similar experience in the past years. Once you get to know DT, and if the time is right and the spirit is right, you fall in love. Itīs a major crush. And you canīt stop listening to it. They are the best. Everything else begins to sound uninsteresting.

Many months go by… one or two years go by… and then a new band pop up or you go back to the oldies you havenīt touched in a while… Suddenly you donīt listen to DT anymore.

Once I heard that DT is a very easy band to let go. Because of the complexity of their sound and the picture of nice boys they put up – no rebelliousness appeal, no stage attitude etc. – they are very easily bypassed with time.

Those 5 or 6 guys still love DT. But DT is not the main course on the table anymore. The band didnīt last more than 2 years as number one. One of them had Guns N Roses for 10 years. The other had Aerosmith for 12 years…. Metallica for 6 years… Pain of Salvation for 8 years… DT couldnīt hold 2…

What are your thoughts on that?

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: How easy can DT be bypassed?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »
Well it's been 8 years for me, but I have other favorite bands too. Those bands just haven't been able to dethrone DT yet.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
DT has been my favorite band for 22 years.  So I have no thoughts on that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
I think I may have a reason.

Dream Theater seems to be many people's bridge to new, better music. Once you hear them and enjoy it, you'll listen a lot. Then you'll start searching for new related bands that you haven't heard before. Once you've started listening and searching for new bands, a much larger number of artists suddenly appear, all competing for your favorite. Significantly more artists than there were before when your favorite band was GnR.

You might ask those guys what bands DT introduced them to, and what they listened to before. I know I find that to be the case for me.

About 3 years ago (I was 12), I only listened to things like Alter Bridge, Ozzy Osbourne (was my favorite for a long time), Avenged Sevenfold, Rise Against, and Five Finger Death Punch. I absolutely hated Tool. I asked for ADTOE, and it quickly grew on me, becoming my favorite album. They became my favorite band, nothing else could touch them. Once I knew all the ins and outs of their discography, I started looking for new bands to listen to (although they still played on very heavy rotation).

Suddenly, I loved Tool, despite hating them 18 months before. I found myself uninterested with popular rock, and found myself enjoying things like PT, Radiohead, BTBAM, and even Mr. Bungle.

Although Dream Theater is still my favorite band, I listen to many other bands that they've introduced me to. One reasonI think they remained my favorite is because I realized they were (literally) all I listened to, and decided to mix in other bands before I lost interest. I didn't play only them until I was sick of it.

Also, I don't think their image or complexity have anything to do with it. If anything, their variety helps appeal degrade at a slower rate. As I said, I would attribute it to the competition they have after they introduce you to new bands.

But I still wouldn't say they can be bypassed that easily, I'm providing reasons your friends may have lost interest.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »
They are #1 for me for 4 year now (and first band I had "major crush" with :P ). There are other great bands I'm listening to with which I'm connected (Opeth, PT and most recently Anathema to name a few) but none of them are similar to DT (to me). DT is also band I know most about: all albums + b-sides, bootlegs etc and most of us know almost everything about members, history of the band etc. DT can't be bypassed that easy IMO.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 03:01:05 PM »
I don't see how it's different with any band. I've had other bands and artists that I considered my favorite before DT, and there were points where I kind of forgot about them, and stopped keeping up with what was going on in their careers, just because musically, I was at a different place. I've gotten back in touch with those artists recently, but the point is, it can happen with any band, no matter how edgy or whatever they are.
Sure, there are people out there who are plain flaky like that, and I've met those who said, "Oh yeah, I used to listen to a lot of Dream Theater at one point," but who's to say that a couple years from now, they won't get curious about what DT is up to and start listening to them again?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »
DT has been my favorite band for 22 years.  So I have no thoughts on that.

That's funny.

I mean how many favorite bands can a person have? Everyone goes through phases. Some bands stick, some don't .
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
Been my number 1 for 5 years and it's likely to stay this way for a long time. I'm a boring person.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 04:05:50 PM »
I think I may have a reason.

Dream Theater seems to be many people's bridge to new, better music. Once you hear them and enjoy it, you'll listen a lot. Then you'll start searching for new related bands that you haven't heard before. Once you've started listening and searching for new bands, a much larger number of artists suddenly appear, all competing for your favorite. Significantly more artists than there were before when your favorite band was GnR.

You might ask those guys what bands DT introduced them to, and what they listened to before. I know I find that to be the case for me.

About 3 years ago (I was 12), I only listened to things like Alter Bridge, Ozzy Osbourne (was my favorite for a long time), Avenged Sevenfold, Rise Against, and Five Finger Death Punch. I absolutely hated Tool. I asked for ADTOE, and it quickly grew on me, becoming my favorite album. They became my favorite band, nothing else could touch them. Once I knew all the ins and outs of their discography, I started looking for new bands to listen to (although they still played on very heavy rotation).

Suddenly, I loved Tool, despite hating them 18 months before. I found myself uninterested with popular rock, and found myself enjoying things like PT, Radiohead, BTBAM, and even Mr. Bungle.

Although Dream Theater is still my favorite band, I listen to many other bands that they've introduced me to. One reasonI think they remained my favorite is because I realized they were (literally) all I listened to, and decided to mix in other bands before I lost interest. I didn't play only them until I was sick of it.

Also, I don't think their image or complexity have anything to do with it. If anything, their variety helps appeal degrade at a slower rate. As I said, I would attribute it to the competition they have after they introduce you to new bands.

But I still wouldn't say they can be bypassed that easily, I'm providing reasons your friends may have lost interest.

Yes! Good point! Makes total sense!

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 04:36:01 PM »
Dream Theater has been one of my favorite bands since I first heard them 15 years ago. But I've never exclusively listened to one band, I can't even fathom that. I guess that's why I have so many records, I can't listen to the same thing very often.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 04:57:33 PM »
My fave all the time band for 21years!  :metal

[quote author=tiagodon link=topic=41599.msg1810111#msg1810111

Once I heard that DT is a very easy band to let go. Because of the complexity of their sound and the picture of nice boys they put up – no rebelliousness appeal, no stage attitude etc. – they are very easily bypassed
[/quote]

Interesting that this is to me a great bonus for them! Maybe I 'm really old ...  ;D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 05:05:08 PM »
It's not about DT but about fans and their change of their taste in music.  This happens to many bands.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 05:20:04 PM »
While DT was never my favorite band, they were my main course for a pretty long stretch (1998-2002), but once I got into many more bands, no one band ever occupies my listening time for too long of a period.  I usually go in phases, and my most recent DT one was late March/much of April, which coincided with me seeing them twice in early April, but for all I know, I might not hit another DT phase for a year.  Or I might hit one that last two days next week.  I just don't know.  Sometimes, my phases just happen by coincidence or whatever, but seeing that DT is one of my 3-5 favorite bands ever, their phases usually last longer than those for lesser bands (on my personal favorites list).

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 06:17:17 PM »
My theory is that when people listen to DT, in most cases at least, there comes that "obsession time" where one checks out lots of their music (if not all of it) and read stuff about them online and so on. The thing is, after listening to a band so often and for some time, one gets tired of it. It's only natural, I guess, when hearing the same songs all the time one gets bored of it. At that point one starts checking out other similar bands or listening to other stuff that was left unheard for some time. In face of a wide array of similar bands, each with their own different charms, and the bands one used to like, well, DT could be displaced just like the "other stuff" was. It's not necessarily a matter of not liking DT anymore, but of looking for some rest from it and just forgetting about the band.

DT has been my favorite band since pretty much when I first heard them- of course, they weren't my favorite band in the moment per se, but soon after, and it's been 5 years since that. I've had periods where I've heard their music less and some other bands more because they haven't provided everything I want to listen to musically, but those time spans are never too long and I always come back reinvigorated, to call it some way. Hell, I'd say I like DT now more than ever.

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 06:32:29 PM »
I can't relate.  They've been my #1 and a daily listen for 20 years now.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 06:39:29 PM »
I think DT's music stays fresh and appealing far longer than most music. Due to its complexity, you can hear a song for the 10th time and find something you've never noticed before. My favorite bands as a kid were Led Zeppelin and Metallica, but their music seemed to grow dull after time, were DT's hasn't.

Another great thing I recently noticed is how I continually go through phases of disliking and then liking them again. I used to love LSOAD, and then for almost two years it was just "meh", but then one day I just randomly fell in love with it again. Stuff like that makes DT's music stay appealing for a long time.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 06:59:16 PM »
DT have been my favourite for 5 years. Before DT might have been Alter Bridge or something like that, I think I was on the edge of discovering prog. because I was always into music that was somewhat 'progressive', as in, I enjoyed an artist that had multiple avenues and variety in sound, heavy, hard, soft, groovy, whatever. And I had a classical upbringing on the piano but never found many pianists in modern music actually exercising those sort of classical techniques and styles.  Naturally, like everyone, I appreciate different songs and artists depending on how I feel. But when I clicked with DT (in fairness, I discovered them many years before I had my epiphany, the moment of realisation just didn't occur until later), most other music became less interesting, for relative lack of development if anything as I was spoiled by the rich composition of each instrument in Dream Theater. A lot of bands have strong points, like, well formed/poetic lyricist, crazy drummer, skilled guitarist. Take your pick, but something else might not be up to scratch. Bass guitarist tend to have a very boring role and don't stand out in most bands, 4/4 drum beats get old when a band uses the same tempo and uses the same fills for every song. The trick is variety, it's fine to have simple songs but it's gets stagnant if there's no movement, which is where progressive music saves the day, because it's normally constantly striving to reach new avenues, constantly trying to change and grow. It's possible that this is what I love about the band, I can rely on them to always try new things and not become stagnant. I also believe DT have a consistency that few other bands come close to in regards to album content. There's rarely any filler songs to beef up an album, usually every song has a very specific purpose on each album, granted most of the filler probably exists within the songs themselves, but it always sounds like they wanted it to be that way, not just pulling some extra songs out of their ass because they need to use more time. In fact the opposite seems to occur where they'll run out of time and probably had to cut stuff from some of their albums. The complexity of the compositions certainly helps you notice things that you don't notice upon first listen, or even 5th listen, so those surprises and nuances are a huge selling point for the DT aswell.

I've have a few DT friends. One of which actually went to the Dream Theater show in my country (there's only been 1 show  :-[). He's probably responsible for getting me into the band indirectly just because I was aware of them through him and that might have encouraged my curiosity to properly discovering them. But he lasted about... 4 years? It's weird because he's almost been swallowed up a somewhat pretentious prog community where it's actually quite 'uncool' to still like Dream Theater and he pretty much dismisses them now. I dunno if he still listens occasionally. Another DT friend would probably say they're (one of) his favourite band(s), but he's not the sorta person that seeks out more music. He's got all his other favourite bands from the last 10 years and he's stuck with them, and he's probably only dug into less than half of DTs material. He always here's new DT songs via myself that he hasn't heard before, says good things, but never actually holds interest. He's been stuck on Train of Though, Systematic Chaos, BC&SL and ADTOE for the last 3 years and barely knows anything else. He's aware of other popular ones like Home, Pull Me Under, The Mirror, Panic Attack, some stuff from the new album, but seems to have reached an impasse. Then there are other friends who completely appreciate and respect DT for the Drums, Guitar work and compositions, but that's about it. They're metalheads that will probably never appreciate the ballads or JLB in general.

I dunno, I think some people will recognise their talent and appreciate the music, but not every one becomes obsessed with nearly all of their music. I've heard everything of theirs I can possibly find, many times, and I'll probably do it again and again. Maybe some people over do it and need to find something new after a while, I mix other artists in with DT so it doesn't get old, but most of the time I find DTs music doesn't get old because there's a bit of something for almost any mood. Some artists I would simply never listen to if I'm not in the right mood, and I think DT evokes something offputting in some individuals, that could very well be one of the same features that draws some of us in. I had a friend complain about a DT song (think it was the instrumental section of Sacrificed Sons), he said was too much, I countered his point saying that I thought it was epic! He then informed me that it was too much epic.. I think some people struggle with the bloated instrumental bits, the ones that get called 'self indulgent'. Personally I think it's a somewhat ironic insult. Because it's based on the expectation that someone is supposed to not be indulging the ideas that they want to express, but to appease the listener. Well screw that, listeners will come and go, some will love and hate the music, but I think ALL music should be self indulgent, especially if the alternative is a manufactured, preconceived, hackneyed stereotype from an insincere and dishonest place. Which might describe my view of a lot of modern pop music, not all, but I've digressed a lot.  :lol

All I know is that I'm the only one I know that's still obsessed with DT enough to not have any sign of going off them any time soon, and that everyone else seems to have had there phase even if they still appreciate the music. It is possible that these guys actually never got to the point where we are, so it wasn't so difficult to forget or bypass the obsession phase. Anyway, I don't expect everyone to read all this nonsense but there's definitely something unique about the way DT solidifies it's fanbase.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:50:36 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 08:21:56 PM »
Duuuude ... tl;dr.

For me, DT was *the* band from about '95 to 2005 or so. Then, for me, they broke the streak with an album they emphasized on something I don't all identify with that much (metal, on ToT). From there on, there came the "saved by the epic" phase. I would not enjoy the various songs on their albums that much, but the epics (Octavarium, SOC etc) were written very well, so I still enjoyed that. But, I also noticed that I cared less and less for the other songs on the later albums.
I got of course all caught up in the excitement of the MP/MM switch up, and ADTOE was exciting because of that. But, to be perfectly honest, DT12 fell kinda straight back into the previous trend, and in fact at this point I find it too lifeless to want to listen to it.
I still listen to the older stuff (and I really enjoyed the videos from 1994 the other day), but overall I'm kinda an okd-timey fan who doesn't like their new stuff all that much.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline docsp76

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 08:31:17 PM »
I can't relate.  They've been my #1 and a daily listen for 20 years now.

Yup, same here.

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »
Rush is my #1, DT my #2.  I've only listened to DT for a few months and I love them.  With Rush I've loved them for 7+ years and from May fo 2012 to December of 2013 I listened to at least two albums a day everyday.  I then got burned out and stopped listening to them.  A month ago Freewill came up on my iPod, and I thought to myself holy shit this song is awesome, and went through their library and it was like discovering them again.  I feel that with DT if I take a break every once in a while and then come back I'll feel the same way I did with Rush.  They're a great band, I know all the songs but hearing them after not listening for a month will breathe new life into them.  I'll never stop listening to them.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 09:19:07 PM »
DT is a good gateway band into more complex music, namely prog in general. When you discover DT and fall head-over-heels for them, you're gonna spin the shit out of everything they put out (I know I sure did). And then you start to discover more bands within the same genre and broaden your horizons. It may not be that you don't like DT anymore, just that you're constantly finding newer stuff that grabs your interest just as well.

One explanation is that you end up burning them out and wanna just find something new, thus you embark on an adventure.

I don't listen to DT every single day. There's always more music I'm trying to discover and get into. But every now and then I'll come back and always feel welcome and at home, and love it just as well. DT wasn't my first crush either. :P I'd have to say that was either Metallica or Iron Maiden. DT really feels like the first girl you dated that was so different from the others before and you'll probably never forget about.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 10:23:40 PM »
I'd still probably technically consider DT my favourite band (at least of all time), but I barely listen to them anymore. So I don't know what that supports, if anything.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 10:37:54 PM »
I still listen to DT a lot, but find myself sticking to the 'older' stuff (6DOIT and older) more than the newer stuff.  I really like the last 2 albums, but I find I'm just not crazy about their writing style anymore and I'm finding a lack of depth that I think used to be there.  For example, in the making of SFAM I remember someone (don't remember who it was, now) saying they agonized over the phrase 'wept just like a baby as I lay awake in bed' because babies don't weep - they scream, they cry, seldom do they weep, but lyrically it seemed to fit better.  When I listen to newer stuff it just doesn't 'feel' like things that were agonized over.  It seems more like 'hey, let's schedule time to be creative and write songs.  Now let's jam a bunch.  Now let's piece different stuff together into songs.  Now let's 'learn' the songs because they weren't written that way.  Let's slap some lyrics on them and woo hoo - we have an album!'.  Oversimplified, of course, but it just seems more like a machine now than a creative process.  That said, I still think the last 2 DT albums were better than a lot of stuff that came out at the same time. I mean, these guys can sure play like crazy.  I'm just still liking the older stuff better.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 10:48:23 PM »
I've come a long way since my hardcore DT fan days, when I used to listen to them all the time and they were the absolute kings of my musical taste. Luckily, I've found a lot of amazing music that appeals to my senses; but either way DT is always a safe turning point for me... as a band I'm always in the mood to listen to.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 11:27:20 PM »
DT was my favorite band from 2007 to mid 2010 i think. Occasionally, my tastes changed from progressive rock/metal to things like trip/hip hop, electronic, psychedelic/post rock.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline krands85

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 04:35:03 AM »
Been my number 1 for 5 years and it's likely to stay this way for a long time. I'm a boring person.
Same sort of story for me really. Took me probably a couple of years after I started listening to DT before I realised they were my favourite band. But it's been that way from about 2008 and doesn't show any signs of changing. I still listen to them way more often than anyone else - I'm actually surprised I'm not burnt out on them yet, considering how much I've listened to the majority of the catalogue. They've turned me on to lots of great bands of course, but none seem to have that same magic that DT possess.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 05:04:42 AM »
DT has never been my #1 band, but always a Top 10 since I first became a fan in 2007. Nowadays I barely listen to them. They don't seem to have the longevity with me that the bands I loved when I was younger has - you know, the stuff I grew up with in my teens.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 06:29:25 AM »
Very nice testimonies here...

Well, DT introduced me to more complex music, to a universe out of the 4/4 tempo. Thanks to them I can enjoy Animals as Leaders today, which, by the way, led me to jazz. So, in a twisted way, DT led me to jazz, which is the sort of music Iīm into these days. I donīt listen to them very often now. After a 2 year crush, itīs been almost 3 weeks I donīt touch any DT material. But they are totally responsible for the music I enjoy today.

And they are responsible for the scorn I feel towards bands I used to love in my teens (like Kiss, Bon Jovi, Guns, Cinderella...). I just canīt stand them anymore.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 06:38:05 AM »
I got of course all caught up in the excitement of the MP/MM switch up, and ADTOE was exciting because of that. But, to be perfectly honest, DT12 fell kinda straight back into the previous trend, and in fact at this point I find it too lifeless to want to listen to it.
I still listen to the older stuff (and I really enjoyed the videos from 1994 the other day), but overall I'm kinda an okd-timey fan who doesn't like their new stuff all that much.

Pretty much the same (expect I love HEAVY metal - just not DT doing it). They mean a lot to me and I'll always be interested to hear new stuff but I doubt they'll ever release another truly great album. Hope I'm wrong!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 06:42:45 AM »
Rush is my #1, DT my #2. 

Thatīs awesome and counter-intuitive. After been introduced to DT, I went to Rush. But I feel DT so superior...

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 06:44:43 AM »
(expect I love HEAVY metal - just not DT doing it).

Interesting. DT is not heavy enough or they canīt compete with the average heavy metal bands?

Offline Invisible

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 06:56:21 AM »
Very nice testimonies here...

Well, DT introduced me to more complex music, to a universe out of the 4/4 tempo. Thanks to them I can enjoy Animals as Leaders today, which, by the way, led me to jazz. So, in a twisted way, DT led me to jazz, which is the sort of music Iīm into these days. I donīt listen to them very often now. After a 2 year crush, itīs been almost 3 weeks I donīt touch any DT material. But they are totally responsible for the music I enjoy today.

And they are responsible for the scorn I feel towards bands I used to love in my teens (like Kiss, Bon Jovi, Guns, Cinderella...). I just canīt stand them anymore.
Oh, you'll eventually enjoy 4/4 tempo again, I'll assure you, once you get over the phase of "simple music is crap" most people that discover DT or prog go through.

As for me, I'm still in the DT is nš1 on my playlist yet, I fell in love with their first phase a while ago, loving I&W, Awake, FII and Scenes but not liking everything else for two or more years, then I became in love with the second half last year.

I don't think the number of years has anything to do with DT, but more of when you discover them, it's easier to obsess about one band for a LONG period of time when you're in your teens or younger than when you're older. My longest crush has been Queen followed by U2, but that's just because I heard Queen for as long as I can remember(I used to jump on the table and sing Under Pressure when I was like 4 years old :lol) and U2 in my teens, but the older I get, the shortest those "crushes" become I think. If anything I'd say Dream Theater because of the many layers their music has, has longer staying power, you need a lot more listens to grab every detail than, say, Aerosmith. Either it's the guitar, the keys, the cymbal work, there's always a subtlety you didn't catch.
For example, in the last three days I decided to get more deep with Incubus and after listening to most of their albums 2 or 3 times, I think I've already listened enough, I greatly enjoyed some songs, but got pretty bored very quickly afterwards. The same with Alter Bridge, three listens and that's it, I'm done. I can stil listen to Awake, an album I've listened 20 times at the very least and still find some new experiences.

And it's not a matter of bypassed or not, it's about the head space you're in for certain music. No matter how many times you hear a song, you have to be in a certain mood for the music to penetrate your skin. Happened to me with Beatles and classical music, which have been played in my home over and over all my life but I only appreciated them in my early 20s.

EDIT: Because of the three answers while I was writing I had to add a quote or it didn't make sense at all. :P

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 07:35:50 AM »
Oh, you'll eventually enjoy 4/4 tempo again, I'll assure you, once you get over the phase of "simple music is crap" most people that discover DT or prog go through.

I went through that phase a while back, although I  quickly realized the "sound world" (as SW calls it) it also very important. That phase lasted probably a month or two.

Although, I still prefer to listen to odd time signatures, polyrythmic patterns, or even those inverted groove things Portnoy did. I feel like it gives the song a new depth, where every time you listen you notice something new. When I get bored, I listen through songs and try to figure out time signatures.

A pattern like the bass (I think it's bass) part in "Schism" by Tool that alternates between 5/8 and 7/8, or the 13/8 part in LTL sticks out to me much more that something in 4/4.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ŋDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 08:01:19 AM »
Thatīs awesome and counter-intuitive. After been introduced to DT, I went to Rush. But I feel DT so superior...
Well, Rush is classic band and a few of the prog groups known outside the progressive scene. Buy yeah Rush<DT :metal

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 08:40:32 AM »

I don't think the number of years has anything to do with DT, but more of when you discover them, it's easier to obsess about one band for a LONG period of time when you're in your teens or younger than when you're older.

Yes. Good point! Teen years are so full of recklessness, magic and discovery... so full of time!!
Life loses half of its richness when youth fades away...