Author Topic: Strange Deja Vu  (Read 635 times)

Offline stephendawson

Strange Deja Vu
« on: May 20, 2014, 03:32:14 AM »
I have been a fan of Dream Theater ever since I sat next a friend at Uni 10 years ago and asked him what he was listening to as he had the SDOIT CD case on the desk, ten minutes of The Glass Prison later and I was hooked (what an intro). Over the years I have lost interest in most other bands and almost exclusively only listen to Dream Theater. Whilst this enables me to live a perfectly satisfying life perhaps there are other prog metal bands I am missing out on.

So I the spirit of the recommended for you feature on Amazon I would like it if people gave recommendations about specific songs such as.....

Oh this is quite hard to come with an example if you only listen to Dream Theater

Okay, thought of one

If you like In The Presence of Enemies Part 1 you will really like In The Presence of Enemies Part 2

Okay, that probably doesn't count, maybe

If you like Metropolis Part 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper you will really like Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory

Okay, I think this is why I need some recommendations

Offline jakepriest

Re: Strange Deja Vu
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 04:42:19 AM »
A lot of people who enjoy DT also enjoy Transatlantic (MP's side project). I don't really listen to other prog metal bands, so I can't help you there.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 06:24:22 AM »
Haken

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 06:46:26 AM »
Frost* - Milliontown

Porcupine Tee - Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet

Opeth - Watershed

Those are some of my favourite proggy albums. But I'm hardly a connoisseur really.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 07:08:29 AM »
I know the feeling. A while back I had to discover some new music because I was pretty much only listening to DT at the time.

I'll give you some of the bands I've been listening to along with DT.

If you like A Chnage of Seasons, I would recommend listening to The Great Escape (song) by Seventh Wonder.

If you like Peruvian Skies or The Mirror, I would recommend Schism or Vicarious by Tool.

If you like These Walls or Illumination Theory, listen to Visions by Haken (I  :censored love this song/band)

If you like Space Dye Vest or Vacant, listen to The Raven that Refused to Sing (song) by Steven Wilson.

If you like Beneath the Surface or Surrounded, listen to Great Expectations/Kneel and Disconnenct/Drawing the Line by Porcupine Tree. (Side note, watch Jordan Rudess and Steven Wilson perform Lazarus)

Also, some bands/songs you might like that I can't think of a comparison to at the moment:
Redemption - Threads
Sonata Arctica - Losing My Insanity
Opeth - Black Water Park (Heritage album if you don't like growls or screams)
Circus Maximus - Abyss or Game of Life
Symphony X - Anything from Paradise Lost

Other bands:
Blackfield
Leprous
Cynic
Animals As Leaders
Planet X (founded by Derek Sherinian and Virgil Donati)
Anathema
Rishloo
Beardfish
Bigelf
Transatlantic
Gazpacho
Devin Townsend project
Fates Warning
Flying Colors
Spock's Beard

And finally, listen to other DT member related stuff:
John Petrucci - Suspended Animations
Jordan Rudess - The Road Home
James LaBrie - Impermanent Resonance
Liquid Tension Experiment - Self Titled

I'll add more if I think of some

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:26:33 PM by Sir Walrus Cauliflower »
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.