Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 225222 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread
« Reply #1365 on: October 02, 2014, 06:37:59 AM »
I am making a feast for friends on Saturday night and having a viewing party!
That sounds awesome!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Dear God, you'll never enjoy life if you nitpick like this.  It reads like the Unibomber's manifesto.
:lol

Actually, it was an interesting read. It's incredible that one can pick up on that. I sure as hell couldn't.

I've listened to a couple comparisons from the boot, and it's obviously embellished. That that's fine. Every live release is. This is still an incredible performance.

I heard a few but I guess I'm a realist.  Those pure recordings are a thing of the past unless you listen to boots.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1367 on: October 02, 2014, 06:51:12 AM »
I love the way James sounds on this and I'm so happy for him. He's caught a lot of grief over the years, but he really shines here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: October 02, 2014, 07:02:05 AM »
:dunno: I know what pitch correction sounds like and I can't hear anything that's GLARINGLY OBVIOUS - so it doesn't detract for me.

It wouldn't anyway. It's a given nowadays that it goes on. So just accept it and enjoy the show.

Edit - i just checked out the apparently obvious correction 2:00 into strange Deja Vu when he sings " to-night". How do we know he didn't just sing it that way ?

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1369 on: October 02, 2014, 07:24:49 AM »
Mangini's face in the middle of the line "... self-righteous hate" during The Shattered Fortress  :lol

Offline genome

« Reply #1370 on: October 02, 2014, 07:38:49 AM »
:dunno: I know what pitch correction sounds like and I can't hear anything that's GLARINGLY OBVIOUS - so it doesn't detract for me.

It wouldn't anyway. It's a given nowadays that it goes on. So just accept it and enjoy the show.

Edit - i just checked out the apparently obvious correction 2:00 into strange Deja Vu when he sings " to-night". How do we know he didn't just sing it that way ?

That's what I was saying before, I think most of those examples are just JLB singing the lines differently. If you autotune a note more than a step or so it sounds very unnatural and robotic and I can't hear anything like that going on.

I'm not denying he has been fixed here and there, he definitely has (and was on the Sonisphere videos), but I don't think he's been tuned to the "wrong notes".

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1371 on: October 02, 2014, 07:53:38 AM »
I love the way James sounds on this and I'm so happy for him. He's caught a lot of grief over the years, but he really shines here.
He does sound great! To me he is always a true pro and I always think he gives a great effort. Maybe because I have sang for nearly 30 years I understand how hard it is to always be at optimum performance level every time out. Unlike playing an instrument, the human voice is inconsistent and doing what he does every night is far from easy. People need to recognize that a little more, I think.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1372 on: October 02, 2014, 08:06:38 AM »
Seen the whole thing now, utterly fantastic. JLB and MM own this. And sorry to look this far ahead, but it is shaping up to be a great group of songs on the next DVD if JP keeps putting songs on the setlist that don't have a previous proper non-bootleg DVD version:

The Glass Prison
Blind Faith
The Great Debate
Misunderstood
A Nightmare to Remember (sans RROOOAAARRRR)
Wither
The Count of Tuscany
The Bigger Picture
Behind the Veil
Surrender to Reason

Speaking of bootlegs, JP had an awesome and prefect rhythm tone on WDADRU. If only that tone had been present on BTFW . . .

We're kind of spoiled, but imagine if you had never seen JP or MM perform before and this was your first time . . . you could end up being a drooling idiot in a straight-jacket  :lol.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: October 02, 2014, 08:11:45 AM »
Seen the whole thing now, utterly fantastic. JLB and MM own this. And sorry to look this far ahead, but it is shaping up to be a great group of songs on the next DVD if JP keeps putting songs on the setlist that don't have a previous proper non-bootleg DVD version:

The Glass Prison
Blind Faith
The Great Debate
Misunderstood
Wither
The Count of Tuscany
The Bigger Picture
Behind the Veil
Surrender to Reason

Speaking of bootlegs, JP had an awesome and prefect rhythm tone on WDADRU. If only that tone had been present on BTFW . . .

We're kind of spoiled, but imagine if you had never seen JP or MM perform before and this was your first time . . . you could end up being a drooling idiot in a straight-jacket  :lol.

SDOIT disc 1 and BC&SL essentially.  Id like it a lot though.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1374 on: October 02, 2014, 08:22:47 AM »
 I haven´t got my hands on the release just yet, but for those of you on the same situation, some of the songs are already on Grooveshark. JLB  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Ad134

« Reply #1375 on: October 02, 2014, 08:52:58 AM »

The Glass Prison
Blind Faith
The Great Debate
Misunderstood
Wither
The Count of Tuscany
The Bigger Picture
Behind the Veil
Surrender to Reason

Wasn't Blind Faith on Chaos in Motion?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1376 on: October 02, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »

The Glass Prison
Blind Faith
The Great Debate
Misunderstood
Wither
The Count of Tuscany
The Bigger Picture
Behind the Veil
Surrender to Reason

As long as JLB chooses to not acknowledge the existence of Chaos in Motion, we shouldn't either.  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline suedje

« Reply #1377 on: October 02, 2014, 09:12:32 AM »
Can somebody, who bouth the Bluray in the US, check the region of the disc? If it's region free, I will order it from the US, as Amazon has it for Usd. 14,88 which is unbelievable compared to the prices I see in the Netherlands (incl. shipping it is Usd. 10 cheaper from the US, I can wait a few days for this difference)
On Amazon.com it says "Region B/2" which is strange, as it is an American store, and Region B/2 is the european region for Bluray.
Thanks for the assistance.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought there were no regions on blu-rays and that is just a DVD thing?  I know for my Epica blu-ray I bought it from amazon.uk because it was cheaper and it plays fine for me in the USA.

There are also reqions for Bluray. But most music dvds and bluray's are region free, unlike movie dvd's and bluray's. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: October 02, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »

The Glass Prison
Blind Faith
The Great Debate
Misunderstood
Wither
The Count of Tuscany
The Bigger Picture
Behind the Veil
Surrender to Reason

As long as JLB chooses to not acknowledge the existence of Chaos in Motion, we shouldn't either.  :D

Anything on CiM doesnt count.  The quality of that is essentially the same as an official bootleg. 

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1379 on: October 02, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »
I went to Walmart, Best Buy, and a local place - All of which didn't have the Bluray in stock!

Twas no good.

I went on Amazon and ordered Bluray versions of not just Breaking the Fourth Wall, but also En Vivo (Maiden's latest live release) and that new BTBAM live release.

So much new concert stuffsss :D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:11:33 AM by Plasmastrike »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1380 on: October 02, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »
I just listened to Illumination Theory, admittedly on Youtube, with a bad internet connection.

:omg: :omg:

:|

:'( :'(

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

So. Fucking. Awesome. There are literally no words to describe the experience I just went through, other than those three.

Pretty awesome for a patchwork song supposedly made out of leftovers from the Systematic Chaos sessions. LOL

What?  :huh:

You should read discussion threads involving IT. That one always pops up.  :lol

Well, I in fact do read threads on IT (and just about everythign else on this board), and I don't remember that ever coming up.  And if it did come up once or twice, I most likely ignored it since it is so obviously incorrect, given that we know parts of it were written on the ADTOE tour, and the rest was written later, largely as an outgrowth of those original parts.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: October 02, 2014, 11:08:33 AM »
I like how JP turned up the rock during the refrain of "It's rainin', rainin'" toward the end of LTL. After hearing this song so many times over the years the usual way it was a cool moment to have him 'chug' that guitar part. I think it sets up Enigma Machine better too.

Things like that are the best reason to have live recordings.

:tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
@suedje- I don't see anything about region on the package or the disc, and I don't know where I'd find it on the computer, but I didn't see anything about it where I looked. Don't know if that helps much  :-\

@Wasteland- no, this time I stayed away from boots of the actual gig. Only other nights.

I actually noticed this was different as he did the same on one of the gigs I went to. He's just singing it differently. I think shifting the note up that far would be really obvious and robotic.

Well, it's totally possible I'm wrong about one in that whole list. I've just never heard it done that way, but it could be, there's nothing wrong with that note.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1383 on: October 02, 2014, 11:33:26 AM »
@Atilator: I can confirm he actually sang the weird note in the first LSOAD chorus. Wierd and beautiful, to me! I love when he changes the melodies slightly according on his present mood!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1384 on: October 02, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
I just listened to Illumination Theory, admittedly on Youtube, with a bad internet connection.

:omg: :omg:

:|

:'( :'(

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

So. Fucking. Awesome. There are literally no words to describe the experience I just went through, other than those three.

Pretty awesome for a patchwork song supposedly made out of leftovers from the Systematic Chaos sessions. LOL

What?  :huh:

You should read discussion threads involving IT. That one always pops up.  :lol

Well, I in fact do read threads on IT (and just about everythign else on this board), and I don't remember that ever coming up.  And if it did come up once or twice, I most likely ignored it since it is so obviously incorrect, given that we know parts of it were written on the ADTOE tour, and the rest was written later, largely as an outgrowth of those original parts.

:lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1385 on: October 02, 2014, 11:49:46 AM »
@Atilator: I can confirm he actually sang the weird note in the first LSOAD chorus. Wierd and beautiful, to me! I love when he changes the melodies slightly according on his present mood!

Well ok then! In that case I take back that one example and say "ooh, how interesting James hit a different note for the falsetto 'dream' in LSoaD- COOL!"  :lol

Check for some of the other ones I mentioned if you want.

Offline suedje

@suedje- I don't see anything about region on the package or the disc, and I don't know where I'd find it on the computer, but I didn't see anything about it where I looked. Don't know if that helps

Thanks for trying, I keep on searching

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1387 on: October 02, 2014, 12:08:25 PM »
"How the hell can you dance to The Mirror?!"   ;D ;D ;D

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1388 on: October 02, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »
"How the hell can you dance to The Mirror?!"   ;D ;D ;D

Highlight of the entire album

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1389 on: October 02, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
  James changes a few things here and there in The Enemy Inside, and it sounds freakin´ awesome!!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1390 on: October 02, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »

--RIDICULOUS- "Lifting Shadows off a Dream" (the first chorus): "Dream" was tuned to A4 instead of F#4. NOT EVEN CLOSE. He does this F# with his signature breathy wide vibrato, which is supposed to give it the effect of sliding to a higher note, so whoever did this crap job misinterpreted and tuned it to the 5th of the chord rather than the 3rd. It's not musically wrong, just not what he sang, or what is actually in the song.

I actually noticed this was different as he did the same on one of the gigs I went to. He's just singing it differently. I think shifting the note up that far would be really obvious and robotic.

Definitely different than the bootleg. It sounds pretty funny the way they "corrected" it, whereas the bootleg sounds normal. They didn't need to mess with it at all, but I'm no expert.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: October 02, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »
BTW, Rudess going all 'metal' on his keyboard at the end of The Mirror (right after JLB's Jibba-Jabba) is my favorite JR moment in a long time.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1392 on: October 02, 2014, 12:58:30 PM »
JR was amazing in this DVD. I enjoyed his keyboard solos a lot.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: October 02, 2014, 12:59:40 PM »
That's because the mix actually lets you hear him.  :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1394 on: October 02, 2014, 01:01:56 PM »
 The single point where I don´t like Jordan in this release is when he speeds up the solo of Scarred. Kevin  Moore´s take on it was much more inspired and had a gazillion less notes. Aside from that, he´s great!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1395 on: October 02, 2014, 01:11:19 PM »
There are some moments in the album where JR is playing the exact same thing as the strings, and all I can think is "You really don't have to do that, Jordan." Sometimes the keyboards drown out the strings when they're playing the exact same thing. I'd rather have the real instruments, tbh, so that was a very small negative for me.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline adamack

« Reply #1396 on: October 02, 2014, 01:19:41 PM »

The Glass Prison
Blind Faith
The Great Debate
Misunderstood
Wither
The Count of Tuscany
The Bigger Picture
Behind the Veil
Surrender to Reason

Oh man, any live DVD containing those songs would be incredible.

Huge fan of every last one of them.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1397 on: October 02, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
 Hearing the live version, I can say that the inclusion of The Shattered Fortress in the setlist is more than justified. I gained new respect for the song, and do not skip it anymore when it comes on my mp3 player...

On a side note, the timing of this release couldn´t be MORE perfect for me: they are playing in Rio this Sunday, and I´ll catch them once again on this tour!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #1398 on: October 02, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
The band sounds fantastic as usual... but I can't hear the choir/orchestra  ???

I was hoping for something along the lines of Metallica's "S&M" where the orchestra really shines.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1399 on: October 02, 2014, 02:03:04 PM »
I zipped through this last night and thought it was pretty great.  The second set and encore are both utterly fantastic, for the most part.  I got chills watching the orchestra play the middle section of Illumination Theory.  The performance of that entire song was pretty much amazing.

I was a little disappointed by how non-enthusiastic the crowd looked at times, and as usual, Rudess had to wank up some sections that didn't need it (like that noise at the end of The Mirror...ugh), but those are minor quibbles.

While I have no doubt that some "work" was done on JLB's vocals :lol, overall he sounded very good.  I always go in knowing that his voice is gonna be kind of hit or miss for me, but there were few instances that bugged me.  Good to see he's doing what he can to sound good live despite his advancing age.

Overall, it gets  :tup :tup from me. :metal