Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 223014 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014) BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL
« Reply #1225 on: September 30, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »
Just received a download link from RR about 5 mins ago. They sent the link through customer service so I'm not sure if it will appear on your account.

Offline Nofire

« Reply #1226 on: September 30, 2014, 02:49:01 PM »
Does anyone know if the audio version of this will end up on Spotify (in Sweden)? LALP didn't, which was a bit disappointing.
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1227 on: September 30, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »
Does anyone know if the audio version of this will end up on Spotify (in Sweden)? LALP didn't, which was a bit disappointing.

The audio versions will end on Spotify.  The proof, as of the time of this post, is in my signature which tracks Spotify tracks.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1228 on: September 30, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »
The audio version is on Spotify right now.

Offline genome

« Reply #1229 on: September 30, 2014, 04:14:14 PM »
Doesn't seem to be on Spotify UK.  :-[

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: September 30, 2014, 06:04:24 PM »
Um, just put on the blu ray and no FAS intro to the concert or as a bonus. I thought that itwas included!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: September 30, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »
Definitely had FAS on my DVD.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1232 on: September 30, 2014, 06:36:39 PM »
Doesn't seem to be on Spotify UK.  :-[

Can't see it on the Australian one either. I guess they're holding off until our release date, which I think is 3rd Oct. It would have been nice to listen to the steam until I bought the DVD, but I guess I'll have to wait until the weekend and hope it's in store.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1233 on: September 30, 2014, 06:43:31 PM »
Awe dammit.  the main picture when you open up the Blu ray is exactly where I was sitting but the big head in the middle of the picture is blocking me but I can see my friend next to me though. Pretty cool.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1234 on: September 30, 2014, 07:01:34 PM »
Drums are a bit overpowering, but this actually sounds like a live album, unlike say, Live at Luna Park or Iced Earth's Live in Ancient Kourion. The crowd is actually audible this time!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1235 on: September 30, 2014, 07:40:27 PM »
The crowd is actually audible this time!

JR is actually audible this time!  They actually heard our praise from the Happy Holidays album!  Sounds great to me.

Finally Free with a live orchestra!  :eek
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1236 on: September 30, 2014, 08:58:21 PM »
It seems like they inverted the mix on LaLp  :lol
The guitar sometimes get lost in the mix (and that washy tone helps a lot), but everything else sounds fantastic.
That's the only complaint I can think of.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1237 on: September 30, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »
I was a bit weirded out by the setlist until I realized that Awake turns 20 this year and SFAM turns 15. And I quite like it. Those songs along with the new ones differentiate it enough from LaLP that I feel the purchase was worth it. And as someone who loves Space Dye Vest, it was a real treat seeing it here.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1238 on: September 30, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
I'm glad to hear (of) Jordan being turned up. I must say that I also find it hilariously ironic that JP apparently isn't loud enough sometimes, and that MM is too loud (which is something I'm inclined to agree with based on the HD track previews, but I'll reserve judgement til I listen with my stereo and not the shitty headset I'm using at the moment).  :lol

Anyway, I should have my copy tomorrow, and I'm extremely hyped and looking forward to it so lets hope my expectations don't kill the experience.  :xbones

Off topic: Just a funny coincidence, but anyone notice the new Flying Colors album came out practically the same day as DTs new live album? I was listening to that today at work, very much enjoying it, awesome stuff.  :metal
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:52:00 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline gm5k

« Reply #1239 on: September 30, 2014, 10:29:06 PM »
Amazing Blu-ray.  Pretty much tied with Score and Budokan on my favorites by DT.

Only complaint is the video stuff/art going on during Scarred.  Honestly ruined a great performance visually (audio is still amazing) for me personally.  I tried to ignore it but it proved to be extremely distracting during the whole song. 

James started to let loose and really kill it after the 1st set.  It's also great to see Mangini having a blast.  Brilliant performance by everyone  :tup
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:58:42 PM by gm5k »

Offline adastra

« Reply #1240 on: September 30, 2014, 11:08:36 PM »
I had to watch Finally free from youtube.. Labrie sounds amazing!!! x___x 
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1241 on: September 30, 2014, 11:28:05 PM »
I saw another post about JMX's tooooone, it does sound kinda weak in TDOE. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1242 on: September 30, 2014, 11:32:04 PM »
Finally able to start browsing through the tracks on Spotify. Sounds absolutely incredible so far.

The Enemy Inside sounds excellent
On the Backs of Angels really comes alive on this one. Way better than LaLP.
The Shattered Fortress and Lie fucking KILL. HOLY SHIT.
Lifting Shadows is GORGEOUS.
Space Dye Vest is everything I wanted it to be and more. Amazing.
IT is excellent. SFAM suite is the best live version of all 4 songs.

Overall, just based off audio, this is the best live album they've put out. KILLER set, excellent performances, great mix.

If anyone STILL wants to say Mangini sucks and isn't the right man for the band this, even though ADToE-DT12 have proven that's false, then there's just no hope for those people. He fucking NAILS every song on this album. His best performance so far. Some of the fills in TSF Lie and IT are incomprehensibly amazing.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
I can say much more later about the DVD but for now all I can say it sounds completely live whereas LALP is not. That's a good thing, of course.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline erwinrafael

I'm very happy with this album. It's like DT finally graduating from the Images and Words box that fans put them in, and showing how amazing their work has been beyond that seminal album.

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
What's the verdict on the HDTracks version? Does it sound noticeably better than the CD, like DT12 HDTracks does?

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Um, just put on the blu ray and no FAS intro to the concert or as a bonus. I thought that itwas included!

FAS plays when you select the "play whole concert" button. It is not available in the "select track" menu.

Offline gm5k

I'm very happy with this album. It's like DT finally graduating from the Images and Words box that fans put them in, and showing how amazing their work has been beyond that seminal album.

Agreed.  Really nice to not have PMU or Metropolis on the setlist as much as I like those tracks.

Really awesome setlist  :metal

Offline erwinrafael

Listening to this epic version of Illumination Theory, I am reminded of this statement by JP:

"Sometimes I have solos that are right at the end like the very last thing on “Illumination Theory” where I know my job is to carry the torch and play the mighty solo standing on top of the mountain."

You are indeed on the top of that mountain with that outro, JP. With the choir and the orchestra, what an epic climax.

Offline Rodni Demental

FAS plays when you select the "play whole concert" button. It is not available in the "select track" menu.

I believe the CDs don't include FAS at all either, nor is it available on HD tracks. Not that I'd really expect it to be as it'd be identical to the studio version but with crowd noise... Would have been cool if the orchestra played it I suppose but it'd probably take away from the unveiling fof the band at the beginning.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
I just bought the HDTracks release and it's just as dynamically compressed as the LPCM track on the DVD :facepalm:

This is unfortunate  :angry:
Wow. That sucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I believe the CDs don't include FAS at all either, nor is it available on HD tracks. Not that I'd really expect it to be as it'd be identical to the studio version but with crowd noise... Would have been cool if the orchestra played it I suppose but it'd probably take away from the unveiling fof the band at the beginning.

It's actually a newly recorded orchestral-only version that was used exclusively for the tour, and as far as I'm aware, hasn't been available anywhere else until now. Being pre-recorded, I can understand that they didn't include it on the CD though. They don't usually include the intro video audio on the CDs anyway.
Does the intro video on the DVD/BR have crowd noise over it, or is it straight up? It's still at least a couple more days before it will be available here.

Offline efx

It's the straight audio.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thanks. Figured it probably was.

Offline Rodni Demental

Oh wow, very interesting!  :o I never realised it was a different version despite hearing it multiple times on various boots.  :facepalm:

Offline dtrocker25

Still no dl link to the digital download...says it shipped..what the hell is it a download or not.
Needless to say i wont be ordering from RR SITE again.

Offline Skeever

I can say much more later about the DVD but for now all I can say it sounds completely live whereas LALP is not. That's a good thing, of course.
I agree.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Scarred is a complete snooze-fest though and the overlaying of the video FX on the entirety of that song don't help me like it either.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
I still havent got to Scarred yet but it truly is a 'Marmite' in the DT catalogue isnt it? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Scarred is a complete snooze-fest though and the overlaying of the video FX on the entirety of that song don't help me like it either.

I agree. A couple of the songs that I don't really care for (The Shattered Fortress, Along For The Ride) became a little better in the live setting, but it looks like nothing can save Scarred :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.