Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 225052 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014) BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL
« Reply #805 on: September 16, 2014, 06:17:59 PM »
Enjoyed the clip.  As Rumby said, I'm not too enthused with the mix; it's really loud and everything just sort of blends together.  While I can sort of hear the choir and the strings, there's not much clarity, which is important when you have that many musicians playing at the same time. 

Other than the sound, the video was cool.  The cowbell and JP's "bonus lick" during the rocking verse were a good touch.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #806 on: September 16, 2014, 06:26:42 PM »
I get that the role of the orchestra is supposed to fill in and provide an accompaniment, but their song choices for it elude me. They pick a lot of songs where they're having to shoehorn it into various places, which is the problem almost everybody has doing these sorts of gigs. Metropolis was a fine example of that. Does Dance of Eternity really need orchestral bits? Strange Deja Vous? There were a lot of songs on that setlist where it would have worked well. I haven't heard any of it so for all I know they found a way to make it work, but based on past experience I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Well, it's not as if the Boston setlist was different from the other shows. So, realistically, they wanted to have the real orchestra for IT, and then decided it would look silly if they brought in a whole orchestra for a single song.
Whether DT should have played a different setlist to work better with an orchestra is a different question, but I think these days DT has rather limited flexibility in those things.
Yeah. Ain't that the sad truth.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #807 on: September 16, 2014, 06:51:50 PM »
I noticed it, but it wasn't excessive at all imo. There was one note I heard it snap incorrectly, but aside from that, it didn't bother me. JLB is sounding great here.

The first "toNIGHT I've been..." is the incorrect note, correct? I noticed that on my first listen. The "to-" and the "-night" should be different, but they are the exact same pitch.

Yeah, right at the 2:00 mark, but it's still in key, so it doesn't sound bad. There's also one note in the intro of TSCO on Score where it snaps a semi-tone higher, which again was still in key and didn't sound bad.
Total nitpicking, of course. JLB sounds better now than he did 15 years ago singing the same song on LSFNY. LALP and from what we've heard so far of BTFW are definitely among his best live releases.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: September 16, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
So this is gonna be the best DT Concert movie since Score - which was 2006 ?

Almost 10 years ago ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: September 16, 2014, 06:58:31 PM »
So this is gonna be the best DT Concert movie since Score - which was 2006 ?

Almost 10 years ago ?

Probably, but in that time they've only had two other DVDs, one of which wasn't intended as a dedicated concert DVD in the first place, and so didn't have the money behind the production for filming and sound etc, and another DVD which is still very good, and not far behind what we expect this one will be.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #810 on: September 16, 2014, 08:53:20 PM »
My body is ready for this release.

I feel the need to elaborate... Score is a good live album, but I always was disappointed in the orchestra itself.  The strings were not in tune, and it just felt a bit more.... awkward?  I'm not sure the word I'm looking for there.  No matter, having seen this newest clip, it really seems like they nailed it.  I kind of think that Rush's use of orchestra (string players, really) on the Clockwork Angel's tour was some of the best use of strings in a rock setting as of late, and I think BTFW could match the level set there.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:00:33 PM by theanalogkid7 »
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Grizz

« Reply #811 on: September 16, 2014, 10:17:02 PM »
I can't say they nailed it. The sound engineers totally butchered the show, so I don't know if even Eren could hear the strings outside The Embracing Circle. I only listened to this with garbage earbuds, but I could hear the loudness (which I kind of liked, actually) and not the strings.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #812 on: September 16, 2014, 10:31:46 PM »
I can hear the strings well. They are playing Rudess' parts.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #813 on: September 17, 2014, 02:39:47 AM »

Its an orchestra, not just strings.  For instance, can you hear the wind or brass sections?  I'm sure there are many intricacies lost in this mix.   I suspect the arrangement goes WAY beyond just playing Jordan's parts, but I cannot hear those details.   

For instance, can anyone tell me what the orchestra is playing at 2:46 of SDV?  The studio version does not have keyboards during this section, and Jordan appears to be tacit as well, but clearly the orchestra is playing something here.  Can anyone tell me?  Taken out of the mix???

Love the contributions of the choir.  The orchestra needs more separation in the mix. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:02:23 AM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #814 on: September 17, 2014, 04:19:56 AM »
The cowbell... were a good touch.

I thought the cowbell sounded completely out of place, even like ot was a mistake  :-\

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: September 17, 2014, 04:29:37 AM »

I thought the cowbell sounded completely out of place, even like ot was a mistake  :-\

It sounded like a mistake to me, or at least out of place, as you said. I don't mind the occasional mistake to remind me that they are in fact human. :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #816 on: September 17, 2014, 04:41:51 AM »
Yea definitly a mistake. I think he has a pedal with a cowbell, probably touched that while hitting the pedal next to it given he has many pedals next to eachother.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #817 on: September 17, 2014, 05:13:31 AM »

Its an orchestra, not just strings.  For instance, can you hear the wind or brass sections? 

In fact, it is just strings.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #818 on: September 17, 2014, 05:34:26 AM »

Its an orchestra, not just strings.  For instance, can you hear the wind or brass sections? 

and woodwinds and timpani. Also spotted a french horn so there's probably a small brass section.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:12:21 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Xenon

« Reply #819 on: September 17, 2014, 05:40:46 AM »

Pretty sure I'm seeing some woodwinds at the back of the pit.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: September 17, 2014, 06:39:42 AM »
Yea, you can see some woodwinds in the back, tough to see though.

I think for everyone complaining about not hearing this or that, havent we learned to wait until the release to judge the sound and not go by youtube? 

I think this mix is pretty good through youtube and I expect to to be better on blu-ray.  I dont expect any complaints from myself.

And that cowbell really is a mistake?  It sounds like it almost kind of works in that spot.  I find it weird that they would leave a mistake that noticeable in.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #821 on: September 17, 2014, 07:06:57 AM »
Whoops, I remember them promoting it as "string section and choir", so I assumed that was everything.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #822 on: September 17, 2014, 08:13:37 AM »

Cowbell is never a mistake.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: September 17, 2014, 08:15:01 AM »
We need more cowbell in our lives.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #824 on: September 17, 2014, 08:36:20 AM »

Cowbell is never a mistake.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: September 17, 2014, 08:48:04 AM »

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #826 on: September 17, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
I'm tellin' ya, you're gonna want that cowbell.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #827 on: September 17, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »
Enjoyed the clip.  As Rumby said, I'm not too enthused with the mix; it's really loud and everything just sort of blends together.  While I can sort of hear the choir and the strings, there's not much clarity, which is important when you have that many musicians playing at the same time. 

Other than the sound, the video was cool.  The cowbell and JP's "bonus lick" during the rocking verse were a good touch.

I was there for the performance.  Just behind and to the right of the center camera.  If you think this video sounds all mashed together, you should have heard the actual concert.   Dream Theater have been way, way too loud in their live performances for quite a few tours in a row now.  At least here in Boston, at the venues I've seen them in -The Orpheum Theater and The Boston Opera House.  The Orpheum is a shit hole.  And Dream Theater have outgrown it.  Their sound, particularly the volume, is overwhelming at the Orpheum.  The Boston Opera House is a much nicer venue overall, but the acoustics there are less than ideal for the kind of music Dream Theater plays.  It sounded slightly better than the Orpheum, but I think someone in Dream Theater's crew equates volume with quality, because the last couple of times I've seen them they've been way too fucking loud.  Even with ear plugs. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #828 on: September 17, 2014, 01:06:49 PM »
That whole "is it loud? Yeah? Well, metal is supposed to be loud" thing by JLB was unintentionally ill-placed, yeah.
DT really needs to switch their standard venue.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #829 on: September 17, 2014, 01:08:10 PM »
This was a fucking LOUD show, and it's not cuz I'm a Fogey. It was loud!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #830 on: September 17, 2014, 01:40:25 PM »
I think someone in Dream Theater's crew equates volume with quality, because the last couple of times I've seen them they've been way too fucking loud.  Even with ear plugs.
That's interesting, because I've seen them this year in a relatively big outdoors venue and it wasn't loud at all. In fact, it was the quietest outdoors metal concert I've ever been at (that's not a complaint though, it sounded great). I was standing in the 4th row middle and could talk to my friend without shouting in his ear. After the show I didn't even have tinnitus and I get it after playing drums without plugs for 1-2 hours. The usual summer metal fest makes my ears ring for 1-2 days. That said, it still could have been too loud for an indoor venue, but I don't think they blindly and dogmatically follow the "louder is better" principle.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #831 on: September 17, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »
That whole "is it loud? Yeah? Well, metal is supposed to be loud" thing by JLB was unintentionally ill-placed, yeah.

That entire mentality is a problem for Dream Theater, and a problem for any band.

The proper mentality for metal should be, "we should make it as loud as we can while still sounding good". Far too many bands don't seem to care too much about the second half of that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #832 on: September 17, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
I think you guys are taking JLB's comment way too seriously. JLB sucks at on-stage banter, and he's even said it himself. I really doubt he meant any harm upon saying "is it loud? yeah, rock's supposed to be loud!" comment. That's probably a "are you having a good time?" in his world. Rock concerts are loud, have always been loud, and will always be loud.

The audio-process-loudness is a whole other story. Although this release is as loud as everything that DT has put out since some good years, it doesn't sound muddy or bad to me. It packs a real good punch, so that's good enough for me.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #833 on: September 17, 2014, 03:07:13 PM »

That entire mentality is a problem for Dream Theater, and a problem for any band.

The proper mentality for metal should be, "we should make it as loud as we can while still sounding good". Far too many bands don't seem to care too much about the second half of that.
I'm fine with this, but I don't think DT is past that point. Their problem is internal. I've heard bands play every bit as loud as DT and sound fantastic.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #834 on: September 17, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »
I think you guys are taking JLB's comment way too seriously. JLB sucks at on-stage banter, and he's even said it himself. I really doubt he meant any harm upon saying "is it loud? yeah, rock's supposed to be loud!" comment. That's probably a "are you having a good time?" in his world. Rock concerts are loud, have always been loud, and will always be loud.

You may have misunderstood my comment. Obviously JLB's comment was meant in a "are you having a good time?!" kind of vibe. I'm just saying that it was unfortunate to ask that question in a concert that was, to the audience, way too loud to still be enjoyed.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline adamack

« Reply #835 on: September 17, 2014, 03:37:31 PM »
I think people miss the the point of the orchestra.

Playing with an orchestra at a live show is not necessarily to have the orchestra assume any kind of lead role. It is rather an accompanying section to add environment and size.

The whole environment and ambiance that the orchestra adds to the mix makes the performance sound MUCH bigger.

Just because individual string melody lines may not be able to be picked out audibly does not mean that the orchestra is too low in the mix.

I guarantee that if someone were to totally mute the orchestra from this mix, you would be left with a much smaller sounding performance.

In other words, the orchestra is doing a LOT more than you think to the overall sound.
While this is perfectly sensible in principle, if that's all they were going for then they don't need an orchestra and choir, because Jordan can do all of that.

I also found both far too low in the mix in that song, except in one section about half way through or slightly later (can't remember exactly) when suddenly the strings became much more prominent, and then I thought it worked great.

I agree that Jordan can certainly add beautiful orchestral environment with his keyboard presets, but the overall dimension and saturation that a real orchestra adds to a live setting is untouchable when compared with a synthetic instrument.

Also, having the orchestra lets Jordan focus 100% on his parts, while the orchestra adds an entirely new dimension in the mix.

I wouldn't mind the orchestra being more prominent as well, but there is no substitute for having an entire orchestra added to a live setting.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #836 on: September 17, 2014, 05:55:29 PM »
Anybody else order through RR and get shipping info?  I did and I don't know if that means it will take 13 days to get here or if I'm getting it earlier but either way that is sort of odd. 

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #837 on: September 17, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »
My automatic reply from RR said that shipping would take 7 - 10 days.  I placed the order last week, and hopefully I'll get the shipping confirmation email sometime next week.  That's my expectation anyway.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:17:31 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #838 on: September 17, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »

You may have misunderstood my comment. Obviously JLB's comment was meant in a "are you having a good time?!" kind of vibe. I'm just saying that it was unfortunate to ask that question in a concert that was, to the audience, way too loud to still be enjoyed.
As I've said before, my Dad was at a 2003 DT/QR show that was allegedly far louder than Boston. Boston had several sound issues though, not just volume. The frequency was awkward so the mids were absurdly loud. There was clipping in the sound system (for some reason). The mix had way too much guitar and too little of anything else.

I thought that 2010 Worcester was loud but at that show I was close to the stage. Naturally I can't remember it at all :/ .
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #839 on: September 17, 2014, 09:01:21 PM »

As I've said before, my Dad was at a 2003 DT/QR show that was allegedly far louder than Boston. Boston had several sound issues though, not just volume. The frequency was awkward so the mids were absurdly loud. There was clipping in the sound system (for some reason). The mix had way too much guitar and too little of anything else.

I thought that 2010 Worcester was loud but at that show I was close to the stage. Naturally I can't remember it at all :/ .

Of the sound issues, too much guitar was absolutely the biggest problem.

In Philly JPs guitar rig had a hiccup during I believe Scarred. Point being is it brought his volume down and it was MUCH better from there on out.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1