Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 222969 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014) BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL
« Reply #630 on: September 02, 2014, 11:02:35 PM »
For the amount I'm paying for this, I'm framing that damn poster.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #631 on: September 02, 2014, 11:40:13 PM »
For the amount I'm paying for this, I'm framing that damn poster.  :lol

:lol Yup, and it'll better be bigger than 30 x 50 cm or something like that :lol

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #632 on: September 03, 2014, 01:10:24 AM »
There was two HUGE disappointments with this show, and I mean huge. Let me first say, that this was a great show, and had it been in Philadelphia I would have been more than pleased, and I'm still happy with the rest of my trip and all, but my GF and I made this trip because of the specialness of this show. What we got was guests that were underutilized and not heard. At times the chorus could be made out, but the strings were non-existent except for playing on their own during IT. And several of the Awake songs would have been stellar with even a few strings, so why in the world would they bring this all together and only bring them out at IT? I assume things will be better on the blu-ray, but from a live perspective, the "awe factor" from Score outdid this show 10x. The orchestra was powerful, you felt all the different sections, they truly lifted already amazing songs to entirely new levels right before your eyes.

Yeah, this was my reaction too.   Plus you couldn't see the strings.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #633 on: September 03, 2014, 06:45:38 AM »
JP's solo at the end of Space Dye Vest is one of the best solos I've heard from anyone, anywhere. Seriously.

Thats a big statement!  You've heard alot of guitar solos Tim.

I thought it was perfection.

JP's solo at the end of Space Dye Vest is one of the best solos I've heard from anyone, anywhere. Seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlKwWbQtWMg&t=2m14s

Best version I've ever heard!

It's very silimar.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #634 on: September 03, 2014, 01:15:21 PM »
Bloomin 'eck.  Just had to stump up 38 quid to get the bluray/cd version and it's only available through DT's own website.  Amazon UK only selling the bluray/dvd with no cds at all.

You should feel proud I spent that much money on you DT, not many other bands would get away with that ridiculous price.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #635 on: September 03, 2014, 10:59:05 PM »
Any idea if this will be released in HD Audio or Flak format?  I'm thinking about just getting the BluRay and waiting around for a high end audio release.  Thoughts?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #636 on: September 04, 2014, 07:13:39 AM »
Any idea if this will be released in HD Audio or Flak format?  I'm thinking about just getting the BluRay and waiting around for a high end audio release.  Thoughts?

Unfortunately I don't think that will happen. The band didn't release Live at Luna Park that way, although they do seem like like HD Tracks, so maybe there's a hope.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #637 on: September 04, 2014, 07:18:45 AM »
Just spitballing, but I would imagine there is less interest on the part of the band for putting the audio of a live album on HDtracks than for new studio material.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #638 on: September 04, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
Thanks guys, this helps.  I'll get the CD package then.  I just don't want to get burned like I did with DT12 when they offered HD tracks after the release date and didn't advertise it that way.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #639 on: September 04, 2014, 02:54:29 PM »
Well, they could certainly still do that!  :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #640 on: September 04, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
I really, REALLY don't see hi-res FLACs (besides the bootleg, which is 24/96).
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #641 on: September 05, 2014, 03:23:21 AM »
Man, i've been listening to the preorder mp3, and it sounds so good, especially the drums. Hopefully the good sound will continue on the next album.

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #642 on: September 05, 2014, 08:41:01 AM »
Man, i've been listening to the preorder mp3, and it sounds so good, especially the drums. Hopefully the good sound will continue on the next album.
I think that's the idea! That's far more realistic thinking than when Luna Park came out and everyone was underwhelmed by the sound production and there was a lot of hoping that the album would fix that and it would sound better. That mix isn't good, so it isn't going to sound good; but this one is another story.  :metal
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #643 on: September 05, 2014, 05:30:17 PM »
Man I'm really looking forward to this release. It sounds great and everything is clear and has breathing room. I sure wish their studio albums were like this.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #644 on: September 06, 2014, 09:04:09 AM »
I sure wish their studio albums were like this.

The future ones probably will be, as from this one song, we can already see that there is going to be quite a big difference between the sound of LaLP and BtFW. I suspect that Dream Theater may have been listening to the LaLP complaints and are using that feedback to make BtFW an improvement. I don't see why this wouldn't carry over to their studio albums.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #645 on: September 06, 2014, 09:18:54 AM »
Based on the setlist, stage design, Labrie's current shape (better than previous tour imo, and songs that suit his voice better overall) and preview clip this could become my top live recording for DT. I really hope they keep the sound and that the performance is filmed better than LALP. Also, I pray to god that they did not leave in crap as the heavy breathing of Labrie, which ruined the acoustic sets and beginning of TSCO at LALP. Nearly all DT live recordings are flawed in one way or another, so I hope they were able to catch the whole band in great shape in a professional way this time.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #646 on: September 06, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »
Based on the setlist, stage design, Labrie's current shape (better than previous tour imo, and songs that suit his voice better overall) and preview clip this could become my top live recording for DT. I really hope they keep the sound and that the performance is filmed better than LALP. Also, I pray to god that they did not leave in crap as the heavy breathing of Labrie, which ruined the acoustic sets and beginning of TSCO at LALP. Nearly all DT live recordings are flawed in one way or another, so I hope they were able to catch the whole band in great shape in a professional way this time.
LaBrie breathing was not that loud actually, but the compression in his track made it really noticeable and horrible sounding.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #647 on: September 06, 2014, 06:10:26 PM »
Really loking forward to it, sounds and looks very nice and clear. LaBrie is getting better and better each release since octavarium-SC era.  :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #648 on: September 08, 2014, 06:37:06 AM »
LaBrie breathing was not that loud actually, but the compression in his track made it really noticeable and horrible sounding.

I figured that it was not really Labrie's fault, as I saw him perform those songs really well during the DTOE tour, but if I understand correctly they made it loud and compressed and that is why it sounds like this? Maaaaaannn, I cannot even comprehend why one would make that decision and think it sounds good enough after listening to it  :-\

Offline Xenon

« Reply #649 on: September 08, 2014, 07:08:34 AM »

I figured that it was not really Labrie's fault, as I saw him perform those songs really well during the DTOE tour, but if I understand correctly they made it loud and compressed and that is why it sounds like this? Maaaaaannn, I cannot even comprehend why one would make that decision and think it sounds good enough after listening to it  :-\
Me neither. But I was there and sounded beautiful and the acoustic set was the thing I was most exited about. Nice surprise for me when it came out  :lol

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #650 on: September 08, 2014, 08:41:38 AM »
The mix during the acoustic set in LALP is horrible. The instruments are really low and the vocals are really high, making the "compression mistakes" very noticeable and annoying. It's a shame because I thought that JLB's performance of Beneath the Surface was really good (even better than the album), but playing both BTS versions (album and LALTP) back to back made me realize how inferior the Luna Park version is.

It's a shame.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline taylorimpromptu

« Reply #651 on: September 08, 2014, 01:51:25 PM »
It's a shame because I thought that JLB's performance of Beneath the Surface was really good (even better than the album), but playing both BTS versions (album and LALTP) back to back made me realize how inferior the Luna Park version is.

It's a shame.

This may be ignorance on my part, but what is "LALTP"?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #652 on: September 08, 2014, 02:04:45 PM »
Luna The Park?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: September 08, 2014, 02:07:46 PM »
LIVE AT LASAGNE TOPPED PARMESAN  :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #654 on: September 08, 2014, 02:11:19 PM »
Live at Lick That Pen... hmm, no.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #655 on: September 08, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »
Loose Anus Leaves Toilet Paper.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #656 on: September 08, 2014, 04:46:41 PM »
Yeah, LALTP is a recording at Australia's Luna Park. The *the* added for recognition purposes.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #657 on: September 08, 2014, 04:47:30 PM »
:lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #658 on: September 08, 2014, 05:12:52 PM »
Loose Anus Leaves Toilet Paper.
Now THAT is breaking the fourth wall!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #659 on: September 08, 2014, 11:11:51 PM »
It's a shame because I thought that JLB's performance of Beneath the Surface was really good (even better than the album), but playing both BTS versions (album and LALTP) back to back made me realize how inferior the Luna Park version is.

It's a shame.

This may be ignorance on my part, but what is "LALTP"?

Live at Luna The Park?  (unoriginal, I know).

Offline Steve69

« Reply #660 on: September 09, 2014, 06:31:42 AM »
My brother and my two boys were at the show in Boston this past March, so I'm especially excited about the recordings coming out later this month.  I wonder though, whether anyone knows whether or not the video will be available on iTunes...?  Information on whether or not LALP would be available there was sketchy, but it ended up dropping on iTunes at about the same time it was available everywhere else.  I think I'd rather have it in that format, but if anyone can confirm that it's NOT going to be available on iTunes, I'll place my $60 pre-order for the discs right now...

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #661 on: September 09, 2014, 06:48:58 AM »
Just think, 3 weeks time and we will all be watching this  :metal

I hope the release another song before release.1 Maybe Along For The Ride?

« Reply #662 on: September 09, 2014, 06:50:23 AM »
according to amazon.de, Mike Portnoy directed this thing. Surprising...
https://www.amazon.de/Dream-Theater-Breaking-Fourth-Boston/dp/B00MUDYJ4I/ref=pd_cp_d_1

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #663 on: September 09, 2014, 07:12:23 AM »
I somehow doubt that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: September 09, 2014, 08:23:32 AM »
haha wow :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.