Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 218528 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014)
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »
My guess is that they want to wait for the tour to end to immortalize it on DVD. Makes enough sense to me and if that's the case we'll end up getting it less than a year after the actual concert, which is pretty awesome how quickly we'll be getting this.

Plus I'm sure they want to pack it with bonus goodies!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2014, 10:17:33 AM »
In fact, that seems pretty logical given the circumstances. However, I thought the dvd would be available early because of Mangini's words on facebook (The release is moving very fast. Really fast...). I do not mind waiting if the product is worthwhile. Similar to Score or Live at Budokan quality-wise.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2014, 10:20:40 AM »
Honestly, if we get this DVD shortly after the tour ends, I'd consider that very fast. DT fans are pretty lucky to get such quick release cycles.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »
Id say a christmas release seems logical.  After the next leg has completed and during the shopping season.  In reality, that would still be a pretty quick turn around of the release.  I wonder if Mangini's comments were meant towards completing the film and not really towards the release of the film (even though he said the word release).  I say that because we know the film is done and it sounds like it was completed quickly, but havent heard a single word on the release.

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2014, 10:32:22 AM »
Whenever the release takes place, it'd be cool to take a look at the trailer including live audio (unlike the LALP one) :). Live at the Boston Opera House bluray will be the perfect christmas gift for me, for sure¡

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »
I have high hopes for the the sound on this one, especially after the disappointment that LALP was in this department. The drum sound was outstanding live this tour, especially the snare and the cymbals. Fat, full, well-rounded tone, nothing like the thin mosquito bites heard on the DVD. The chinas were so loud and powerful, they blew my mind every time Mike accented something on them. I hope this new release will capture some of that.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2014, 10:48:59 AM »
Yeah, you'd think they'd want to have it ready for Christmas, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2014, 10:51:36 AM »
Yeah, you'd think they'd want to have it ready for Christmas, no?

That's kinda what I've been thinking all along, and the fact that the tour will be wrapped by then makes sense too...

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »
I would also like them to have a look at the breathy vocals. I mean, I like that side of James' voice but they annoyed me in The Silent Man and Far from heaven in the last dvd. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »
I highly doubt that it will be out before this tour cycle is over.  That's like releasing Guardians of the Galaxy on DVD now, while it's still in theaters. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2014, 11:02:28 AM »
Maybe they have changed their minds lately but James said at Philly they were hoping for an august release. At that point in time, they already knew the tour would not be over yet. The release date may now be depending on Eagle Rock.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »
All that means is exactly what it says: James, on that night in March, was hoping for an August release date.  It doesn't mean that was in the actual works.  It doesn't mean that their entire tour schedule was laid out at that time.  It doesn't mean that was a realistic time frame from the production viewpoint.

There hasn't been a release date announced, so it isn't "behind schedule."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2014, 11:37:45 AM »
I highly doubt that it will be out before this tour cycle is over.  That's like releasing Guardians of the Galaxy on DVD now, while it's still in theaters.
Hehe, funny thing, I enjoyed Guardians so much that coming out of the theater I was thinking "man, I wish I could buy this on DVD already."

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2014, 11:57:09 AM »
Hehe, funny thing, I enjoyed Guardians so much that coming out of the theater I was thinking "man, I wish I could buy this on DVD already."
TBH, so did I  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2014, 12:17:06 PM »
Ranking time:

1.  Live At Luna Park
2.  Guardians of the Galaxy
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »
Do you realize how frustrating is for me to read your posts while knowing that Guardians Of Tha Galaxy won't hit my country's theatres until October 22?   :sadpanda:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Mosh

« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »
Ranking time:

1.  Live At Luna Park
  Other way around for me.  ;D

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2014, 12:41:44 PM »
Found this little snippet on Berklee's website

The Opera House show was recorded and will be released as a DVD by Eagle Rock Entertainment. A portion of the sales of the DVD will establish a scholarship in the name of Dream Theater at Berklee.

https://www.berklee.edu/berklee-today/summer-2014/dream-theater%E2%80%99s-homecoming

Didn't know they were establishing a DT scholarship. Pretty cool!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »
Ranking time:

1.  Live At Luna Park
  Other way around for me.  ;D
Me too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »

The Opera House show was recorded and will be released as a DVD by Eagle Rock Entertainment. A portion of the sales of the DVD will establish a scholarship in the name of Dream Theater at Berklee.

https://www.berklee.edu/berklee-today/summer-2014/dream-theater%E2%80%99s-homecoming

Wow thats really cool and while they formed the band there, they did quit so I dont know if it makes a ton of sense when you think about it, but scholarships are great in general so thats really cool.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2014, 01:23:10 PM »

That's awesome!  :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »

That's awesome!  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »

Wow thats really cool and while they formed the band there, they did quit so I dont know if it makes a ton of sense when you think about it, but scholarships are great in general so thats really cool.

True that they did not finish, but DT still cite Berkelee as their school, so it is still positive exposure for the school.  And I may be misremembering, but they may have been offered honorary degrees at some point, so they may actually be considered graduating alums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »
Holy crap I'm 16 now and I was literally just looking into scholarships at Berklee and considering if I wanted to study music there, just after reading Lifting Shadows and knowing how well renowned the school is... Now if there's a new scholarship next year for the biggest 18-year-old Dream Theater fan, there will be NO DOUBTING.

:lol :metal :metal :metal

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2014, 04:05:19 PM »

True that they did not finish, but DT still cite Berkelee as their school, so it is still positive exposure for the school.  And I may be misremembering, but they may have been offered honorary degrees at some point, so they may actually be considered graduating alums.

...and they didn't quit because they thought it sucked, they quit because they wanted to devote 100% of their free time to the band.  Plus, they learned a lot in that first year that they were even referencing in DVD commentaries and stuff. 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2014, 04:10:16 PM »
Not to mention how often they talk about Berklee. They've kinda become Berklee's premiere metal band in a way. So it's cool that they're actually collaborating with both the scholarship and the Boston performance.

Plus now one of Berklee's former profs is in the band.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
I'm surprised they haven't really played at Berklee. I know there was the show in '94 (which was awesome BTW!!) but I thought they'd have gone back to play at some point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »
I'm surprised they haven't really played at Berklee. I know there was the show in '94 (which was awesome BTW!!) but I thought they'd have gone back to play at some point.

Tim, can you name the opening band for that show?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Eren

« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »

"Frank Solomon, Dream Theater’s manager, said after the event, “I seriously believe last night was my most inspiring in 16 years of managing the band. Those [students] were so happy and played so well. I had tears in my eyes.”

If you ask me, this just tells the level of what happened that night. I've heard this in person from him and it was truly moving.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »
Do you realize how frustrating is for me to read your posts while knowing that Guardians Of Tha Galaxy won't hit my country's theatres until October 22?   :sadpanda:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2014, 05:27:50 PM »

Tim, can you name the opening band for that show?

I Mother Earth mother fu#ker! I recorded it and the Providence show the night before.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2014, 05:32:32 PM »
I should have known! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »
Not to mention how often they talk about Berklee. They've kinda become Berklee's premiere metal band in a way. So it's cool that they're actually collaborating with both the scholarship and the Boston performance.

Before I got into Dream Theater I always heard how they were "Berklee trained musicians."  I don't think I knew what Berklee was...but it sounded prestigious. 

Then when I found out they dropped out after a year I was like, "oh....ok"

Still seems like they got a lot more out of their one year there than some people I know who went to other schools for four years.   :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2014, 06:24:24 PM »
Yea, I had a similar experience; didn't know what Berklee was until I read about DT going there.

And yea DT might be the only popular Metal band I know that are renowned for what school they went to. I come across a lot of people who never even listened to the band but still know that they went there. Crazy stuff.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2014, 06:41:46 PM »
Can't wait  :metal