Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 218534 times)

Offline Knguro

Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014)
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2014, 10:54:27 AM »
Yeah, I think they screwed up capturing/mixing the audience. Did you see them? They were nuts. It's a South American DT show FFS.

I dont know, they didnt look nuts to me, but maybe more nuts than the average DT show.  I also had high expectations of the crowd considering it was South American.
They make the mistake of putting sits in the venue. If you want a southamerican crowd to go nuts, take out the sits.

Amen for that, when they came to Guatemala, i have no idea who's idea was to put plastic chairs on the venue!!! Bitches were broken in about 5 minutes!!! We are a rough crowd. :biggrin:
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Miss Bangkok

• Forum Slut
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2014, 01:30:39 PM »
I'm looking forward to this DVD, mainly for the Awake/Scenes material, and Trial of Tears. Probably will end up skipping the stuff from the new album, except maybe The Looking Glass. I didn't have a problem with Luna Park overall, it's an enjoyable performance, but some of the camera editing was weird. Don't mind the mix though. My biggest gripe with it is the setlist; it's awesome overall, but did we really need War Inside My Head/Test That Stumped Them All and spirit carries on for a third time on DVD? I love those songs, but it seems like such a waste---would've made a whole lot more sense to include a couple tunes from BC&SL, but oh well. I think it's in these aspects where I miss MP; he did a great job with the Budokan and Score DVDs, and seemed to do really well with picking the setlists.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2014, 07:52:36 PM »
You have to admit though, getting the entire ADTOE was an awesome touch. Plus These Walls and Caught In a Web, which haven't been on a DVD yet, I think. Getting all that was worth hearing WIMH/Test and Spirit again I think.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Miss Bangkok

• Forum Slut
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2014, 08:32:21 PM »
You have to admit though, getting the entire ADTOE was an awesome touch. Plus These Walls and Caught In a Web, which haven't been on a DVD yet, I think. Getting all that was worth hearing WIMH/Test and Spirit again I think.

Yeah, but it's still really weird that they didn't include anything off of BC&SL. It doesn't make any sense to exclude material from the album that came out before the newest one...especially when considering some fans may have not been able to see them on the BC&SL tour. Every band plays material from the previous album when they're out supporting the latest album for that very same reason. With the exception of the handful of times they played TCOT on the European festival shows that preceded the actual dramatic tour of events, they didn't play a single tune off the album for the WHOLE tour. That just seems really strange, and almost makes me wonder if it had something to do with legal reasons...

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2014, 08:50:20 PM »
I boiled it down to the songs being very long. They eat up a lot of setlist time that the band probably wanted to use for new material, including new 10+ minute epics. Plus I (and apparently the band agreed) don't think there was any place in that setlist where a BC&SL song would be appropriate. They'd be shoehorning it in for the sake of having a song from that album and I'd rather they not do that. We'll get a BC&SL song on the next DVD and I'm sure they'll get to the rest of the album soon enough.

I'm pretty certain there were no legal reasons. The band has the right to play their own songs.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Miss Bangkok

• Forum Slut
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2014, 09:14:56 PM »
I boiled it down to the songs being very long. They eat up a lot of setlist time that the band probably wanted to use for new material, including new 10+ minute epics. Plus I (and apparently the band agreed) don't think there was any place in that setlist where a BC&SL song would be appropriate. They'd be shoehorning it in for the sake of having a song from that album and I'd rather they not do that. We'll get a BC&SL song on the next DVD and I'm sure they'll get to the rest of the album soon enough.

I'm pretty certain there were no legal reasons. The band has the right to play their own songs.

I guess on this new DVD we will get the shattered fortress...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2014, 10:31:44 PM »

Yeah, but it's still really weird that they didn't include anything off of BC&SL. It doesn't make any sense to exclude material from the album that came out before the newest one...especially when considering some fans may have not been able to see them on the BC&SL tour. Every band plays material from the previous album when they're out supporting the latest album for that very same reason. With the exception of the handful of times they played TCOT on the European festival shows that preceded the actual dramatic tour of events, they didn't play a single tune off the album for the WHOLE tour. That just seems really strange, and almost makes me wonder if it had something to do with legal reasons...

I saw them twice on the Metropolis: 2000 tour and they didn't play anything off Falling into Infinity, which was their previous album at the time, at either show.

Plus, in the case of BC&SL, so many of those songs are long, and they weren't doing 3-hour shows on the ADTOE tour, so it was probably tough to squeeze anything from it in most nights, especially since they were playing a lot of the new album at every show and still wanting to hit enough of the older classics.

Offline Miss Bangkok

• Forum Slut
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »

I saw them twice on the Metropolis: 2000 tour and they didn't play anything off Falling into Infinity, which was their previous album at the time, at either show.

Plus, in the case of BC&SL, so many of those songs are long, and they weren't doing 3-hour shows on the ADTOE tour, so it was probably tough to squeeze anything from it in most nights, especially since they were playing a lot of the new album at every show and still wanting to hit enough of the older classics.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes sense.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2014, 11:06:48 PM »
Ideally, it'd be great if they could still play something from every album every night, but they've reached the point of having too many albums now to where that is practically impossible.  Sure, they could do it, but they'd be restricting themselves since that would really only give them about one song per (non-new) album when you factor the number of new songs they play.  That would suck.  Writing a set list that flows well, has the new stuff and hits a lot of the band's high points, like this tour's set list does, is way more important than resorting to, "Uh oh, we still need a song from Train of Thought; we better throw something from that in there somewhere."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2014, 11:53:25 PM »
I could have sworn that I read it was two French guys...
Daft Punk?
Scenes from a Random Access Memory

1. Give Life Back (Regression)
2. The Game Of 1928
3. Giorgio Deja Vu
4. Within My Words
5. Instant Tragedy
6. Beyond This Life Back To Music
7. Through Her Touch
8. Beyond Home
9. Lose Yourself To Dance Of Eternity
10. One Last Fragment Of Time
11. The Spirit Of Doin' It Right
12. Finally, Contact

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2014, 11:54:35 PM »
The "one song for every album" approach is great for an anniversary tour, but necessary for every tour.  But let's admit it, the 2005 - 2006 leg with a rotating songs representing each album (plus some rare gems) was especially special.

Offline robr

« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2014, 04:54:41 PM »
This guy said back in April the DT DVD is "in post production and mixing here".  No idea really where "here" is.

https://www.richardchycki.com/dream-theater-live-at-the-boston-opera-house/

Googling a bit more I guess the same guy also did the production on their most recent CD.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
That guy?  Welcome back to planet Earth.    :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2014, 05:53:32 PM »
He's new, don't be mean.  :P

:welcome:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2014, 07:34:17 PM »
oh my god that picture is adorable
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline robr

« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
Just a long time fan of the music, I don't follow anything that's behind the scenes.  Just saw people looking for info about who's producing the DVD and didn't see this guy's name mentioned in this thread at all, so figured I'd throw it out there as a possible clue.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2014, 12:21:17 AM »
oh my god that picture is adorable
yes, it is :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
James announces the name of the man who has directed the new dvd at the Boston Opera House: Aaron Bush (or something like that). Does anybody know him? I hope there is an official post about it soon.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2014, 01:33:31 PM »
You must have been almost next to me. Front row balcony center immediately to the right of the projector. Has my 9yo dt fanatic son with me for his first concert.

I was at this show, front row balcony center/right and the band was definitely very tight.  LaBrie was fantastic.  No clams all night that I can recall.

:eek   I think I was about 5 seats to your right  :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2014, 04:40:53 PM »
James announces the name of the man who has directed the new dvd at the Boston Opera House: Aaron Bush (or something like that). Does anybody know him? I hope there is an official post about it soon.

He's Hungarian, his name is Eren Basbug.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2014, 05:28:05 PM »
I'm rather sure he's quite Turkish ;)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
Yes, he is definitely Turkish.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »
As far as I know, Eren is from Turkey :biggrin: I also don't think he directed the video; we know that he's done the orchestral arrangements and conducted at the show. But he's on the forum, so he might answer you if he sees this :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2014, 02:02:45 AM »

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2014, 03:39:06 AM »
I know who this turkish musician is.: Eren. He conducted the orchestration in the new album and live at the Boston Opera House. Nevertheless, I think James is referring to another person 'cause he says this man mixed the live album...This quite talented turkish musician is not a sound engineer, I think. Never mind...we'll know when the information is given :)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2014, 03:46:47 AM »
Eren directed the orchestra, not sure about the choir. Richard Chycki mixed the live album and so far we have no clue on who directed the filming!
- Marco

Offline Eren

« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2014, 07:09:44 AM »
I did direct the orchestra (+rehearsals), choir and all related arrangements. Choir rehearsals were held by a friend called Robert Ballantine. I don't know if I look any Hungarian but I'm indeed Turkish :)

Sound-wise it's all up to Rich.

And about the dvd... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2014, 07:25:34 AM »
Cool video Eren :) Everything is awesome! Man, I truly admire your talent and Dream Theater is the best collection of musicians out there from my point of view. I'm glad that you enjoyed the special opportunity you were given. I wish I could work with my heroes as you did:) Take care and keep the music flowing! Greetings from Spain.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2014, 07:36:33 AM »
Eren, I was there and just loved the show and I can't wait to hear the string section and the choir in lossless 5.1 sound!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2014, 03:12:09 PM »
so far we have no clue on who directed the filming!

From the Opera House Concert Thread:

According to the Playbill, the Concert Film was directed by Pierre and Fracois Lameroux. Not sure if they were in chage of the production per se, or if they are charged with filming the DVD. Either way, the film shots I was watching were breathtaking. This DVD will kill Luna Park.
Pierre and Francois Lameroux are part of the Fogo Labs production company. They were the ones that were involved in Rush's R30 and Snakes and Arrows Live DVDs which BTW were nicely filmed IMO. I agree with you, this DVD will blow Luna Park completely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2014, 03:16:54 PM »
I forgot about that!  Thanks Tim!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »
I rectify my previous statement: "so far I have no clue on who directed the filming!" :D
- Marco

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2014, 08:51:08 PM »
Mike Mangini on Facebook today:

"I did a quick check on our Boston DVD footage. I am stunned about the look and sound of this current tour's performance being captured like 'that' is all I'll say. The release of it is moving very fast. Really fast. Those in the Southern and Pacific Rim areas of the World will get to see this production in person next.... Check the DT FB for announcement dates on both. I do not know them."

Sounds promising for Aussie tour :drool:

Gives me a little bit more hope that they'll come to NZ again finally... Better not get my hopes too high though.  ;D

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2014, 07:20:29 AM »
So I wonder if this DVD is going to be delayed 6 months like the last one? I remember hearing something about an August release . . .

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »
I don't know who is in charge of that but man...please, stop promoting LALP bonus multiangle content and give us some information about the upcoming Boston DVD release. The product is finished according to Mike Mangini and James. The band and the people around them have watched the entire footage. I'm positive that some news about this dvd/bluray will be given next moth but I'm afraid of what that implies (maybe a November-December release...?). We'll see what happens...