Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 218521 times)

Offline taylorimpromptu

Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014)
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2014, 04:45:50 PM »
While the LALP performance was great, I was NOT a fan of the sound mix or the Michael Bay-esque editing. I will be extremely disappointed if DT doesn't take cues from the criticisms of LALP and change their approach for the Boston DVD.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
So do we know for sure Over the Edge was the problem?

Perhaps they simply weren't available at the time of the DVD shoot? The last three Rush DVDs were all done by three different production companies.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »
So do we know for sure Over the Edge was the problem?

Perhaps they simply weren't available at the time of the DVD shoot? The last three Rush DVDs were all done by three different production companies.

Or, like Paul Northfield said, its good just to get different perspectives after a while, even if you have used the same producer (or in this case production company) a few times. 

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2014, 09:43:58 PM »
While the LALP performance was great, I was NOT a fan of the sound mix or the Michael Bay-esque editing. I will be extremely disappointed if DT doesn't take cues from the criticisms of LALP and change their approach for the Boston DVD.

Did you happen to watch it in a movie theater?  I think the editing worked well on the big screen.  In any event, I would also welcome a change to the editing style just to keep things fresh.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »

Did you happen to watch it in a movie theater?  I think the editing worked well on the big screen.  In any event, I would also welcome a change to the editing style just to keep things fresh.

I agree with this 100%

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2014, 10:36:55 AM »
They should go back for a more Live at Budokan-esque type of visual production. That DVD is absolutely blissful to watch and listen to.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline PetFish

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2014, 10:28:56 PM »
Who decided it was a good idea to put a camera on JP's LEFT SIDE at Luna Park?  If anything was ever less-than-useless this is it.  Cuz, yeah, we all want to see how JP places his thumb on the back of the neck as he plays.  John Myung still can't get on-screen... even being filmed for six hours over two days.

So many years of concert films out there and junk like this still happens.  The way Live at Budokan and SCORE were shot and directed was amazing and completely flushed my mind of the Live Scenes from New York editing/directing abomination.  You know, even When Dream and Day Reunite was awesomely put together.  Then we finally get Live at Luna Park after waiting for 2 years and being told how great it was and then I go to watch it and I'm like "wtf, is this 1999 again?"  Putting in random video of scenery was also terrible.

At least the crowd noise was kept down during the music and the actual performance was sweet.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2014, 10:44:56 PM »
We only waited one year and three months dude. :P I see the problems like you do, but it doesn't really detract from it all that much for me. I still like it, but not quite as much as Score or LAB.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »
I liked the shots for the most part in LaLP, gave a different perspective to what we are used to seeing of the band.  The sound could have been a lot better and I wish the crowd was better but that's not the band or productions fault (unless they just screwed up capturing the audience).

I do think live at Budokan is the best overall in terms of video and audio combined quality. I'd take that style again

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2014, 01:52:04 PM »
I liked the shots for the most part in LaLP, gave a different perspective to what we are used to seeing of the band.  The sound could have been a lot better and I wish the crowd was better but that's not the band or productions fault (unless they just screwed up capturing the audience).

Which is what I think happened.  Maybe they didn't but almost every live album would at least embelish the audience a little bit to make it sound like you are there with the crowd.  Overall, that is pretty nitpicky of me because ultimately the performance and the sound of that are what matters and I think they did pretty damn good.  I kind of understand how people think it is lacking compared to other live releases because I don't think it has the same "punch" but I think that is pretty minor.  I am a little bummed the snare wasn't more up front in the mix. 

Offline Grizz

« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2014, 02:21:15 PM »
Yeah, I think they screwed up capturing/mixing the audience. Did you see them? They were nuts. It's a South American DT show FFS.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »
Yeah, I think they screwed up capturing/mixing the audience. Did you see them? They were nuts. It's a South American DT show FFS.

I dont know, they didnt look nuts to me, but maybe more nuts than the average DT show.  I also had high expectations of the crowd considering it was South American.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2014, 03:26:59 PM »
I'm guessing that since there was no ignition of sonic rage that it was a production issue.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »
They should go back for a more Live at Budokan-esque type of visual production. That DVD is absolutely blissful to watch and listen to.

Not really.  JP's hair was much too short on that one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2014, 06:25:15 PM »

I love you.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »
I know.

:iknow:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nemonius

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2014, 10:15:50 AM »
Mike Mangini on Facebook today:

"Cheers to everyone that had fun with us during on of our shows thus far on tour. I already want to get practicing, but a couple of days of not playing at all is good. I did a quick check on our Boston DVD footage. I am stunned about the look and sound of this current tour's performance being captured like 'that' is all I'll say. The release of it is moving very fast. Really fast. Those in the Southern and Pacific Rim areas of the World will get to see this production in person next.... Check the DT FB for announcement dates on both. I do not know them."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:32:06 AM by nemonius »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
Nice, thanks for the information. I hope it's going to be released this year :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »
Mike Mangini on Facebook today:

"I did a quick check on our Boston DVD footage. I am stunned about the look and sound of this current tour's performance being captured like 'that' is all I'll say. The release of it is moving very fast. Really fast. Those in the Southern and Pacific Rim areas of the World will get to see this production in person next.... Check the DT FB for announcement dates on both. I do not know them."

Sounds promising for Aussie tour :drool:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »
Sounds like we're getting news. Soon.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2014, 12:11:40 PM »
 :soon:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2014, 12:15:29 PM »
I'm so looking forward to this. Hope it comes soon.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2014, 12:12:06 PM »

I dont know, they didnt look nuts to me, but maybe more nuts than the average DT show.  I also had high expectations of the crowd considering it was South American.
They make the mistake of putting sits in the venue. If you want a southamerican crowd to go nuts, take out the sits.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »
Glad to see the update!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »

They make the mistake of putting sits in the venue. If you want a southamerican crowd to go nuts, take out the sits.
They wouldn't remove the seats, they'd just play a different venue.
The crowd was definitely more engaged on the bonus night tho.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2014, 09:57:06 PM »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online nikatapi

« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2014, 04:10:54 AM »
Do we have any info about the production team? I hope it's not the same as LALP, i didn't really like the editing. Hopefully it will have a better audio mix as well (more Rudess and less Petrucci, thank you very much)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2014, 06:38:07 AM »
Do we have any info about the production team? I hope it's not the same as LALP, i didn't really like the editing. Hopefully it will have a better audio mix as well (more Rudess and less Petrucci, thank you very much)

That's a great question, I haven't heard anything about the production team handling the project. I feel like if Over the Edge was doing it they would be advertising that fact, if I remember they marketed themselves pretty hard while working on the LALP release.  Maybe its a different company?

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2014, 07:26:37 AM »
I could have sworn that I read it was two French guys...

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2014, 07:27:16 AM »

Daft Punk?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2014, 10:07:29 AM »
:lol

That would give the DVD an interesting twist :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Grizz

« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2014, 10:32:36 AM »
You did read that. I CBA to dig up my program right now, but I think its the same guys who did Snakes & Arrows Live or something like that.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2014, 10:38:35 AM »
Daft Punk?
Scenes from a Random Access Memory

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2014, 10:42:41 AM »

Daft Punk?
That would be awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.