Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 218535 times)

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014)
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2014, 11:57:01 PM »
Well I am super excited for this DVD.

But I hope some day DT puts out a completely un-touched DVD again. And I feel like LALP could have been that, but it wasn't. I actually prefer some of the notes on the original recordings I've heard from those two nights over the final product!

Which one is that?

Live in Tokyo
Once in a Livetime
Metropolis 2000/ Scenes From New York
I think Budokan.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2014, 10:22:12 AM »
Hmm, I found a soundboard recording of an Italian DT show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTI6oaxBa7M

Can't say I like Petrucci's tone this time around. What's he using this tour? A Triaxis?

Yep he's using Triaxis. For what it's worth that soundboard recording was not capturing his tone very well.  It translated nicely live I thought.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2014, 11:44:59 AM »

Can't say I like Petrucci's tone this time around. What's he using this tour? A Triaxis?

It is a Triaxis.

Sounds completely different at the actual show.  Actually, maybe the best JP's ever sounded to me.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2014, 12:12:53 PM »
Wow, that was rough. JP made so many mistakes, that was surprising.

On the other hand, he was absolutely perfect one day later. He even nailed the best improv SDV solo of the tour (IMO). Day to day fluctuations, I guess.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2014, 01:48:46 PM »
Everyone has an off night.  Petrucci is an incredible guitar player, but if you're going to play at the complexity level that Dream Theater plays at, there are going to be a few performances that are not as good as others.   

As far as LaBrie goes, he turned in an excellent performance in Boston.  I didn't hear any mistakes that were memorable enough to recall.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »
Everyone has an off night.  Petrucci is an incredible guitar player, but if you're going to play at the complexity level that Dream Theater plays at, there are going to be a few performances that are not as good as others.   

As far as LaBrie goes, he turned in an excellent performance in Boston.  I didn't hear any mistakes that were memorable enough to recall.

Well, I found a few ones, but they are going to be patched anyway. He had better nights in the tour (Manchester for example, or Philly), but he sounded great. Having listened to a lot of bootlegs from the leg I can tell that in Boston he pushed a little his performance beyond his standard confidence level, especially with regards to the highest end of the register, and that mostly turned out fine, but at least on one occasion his voice nearly left him in a critical moment. Still, a couple well aimed patches and this may very well become one of his best recorded performances.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2014, 04:48:38 PM »

But I hope some day DT puts out a completely un-touched DVD again. And I feel like LALP could have been that, but it wasn't. I actually prefer some of the notes on the original recordings I've heard from those two nights over the final product!

Just sayin', this is probably never gonna happen. I know it's supposed to be 'live', but this band cares a lot about the presentation of the music, and if you're going to release it on DVD to be experienced thousands of times, you can bet they'd rather tuck away any mistakes in the mix.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »

Just sayin', this is probably never gonna happen. I know it's supposed to be 'live', but this band cares a lot about the presentation of the music, and if you're going to release it on DVD to be experienced thousands of times, you can bet they'd rather tuck away any mistakes in the mix.

You are probably right, but I wouldnt mind seeing an un-touched DVD in the future.  Or at least something that is mostly untouched.  Maybe fix something that is really messed up (JPs guitar going out during UAGM in Score) but leaving all the small mistakes that go by mostly unnoticed except for the experienced ear.  I guess that is what the official bootlegs are for then.  I havent listened to the christmas CD in awhile, were there any mistakes in that?

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2014, 04:56:50 PM »
You already mentioned but my first thought was official bootlegs. I mean, there's some cool stuff in the live series, some real gems, but they're completely raw so there are some almost embarrassing moments aswell. I think I'd rather they touch up the official DVD releases and optimize the experience. So long as it doesn't start looking fake..

Offline robwebster

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »

It is a Triaxis.

Sounds completely different at the actual show.  Actually, maybe the best JP's ever sounded to me.
I think he keeps messing about with his tone, doesn't he? He's trying lots of different things this tour, keeps switching out guitar pedals. Wonder if the tone in that video might have been a bit experimental.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2014, 06:50:39 PM »
I havent listened to the christmas CD in awhile, were there any mistakes in that?
UAGM final verse sounds weird and the F# in LTL cracks up a bit after James reaches it.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2014, 07:29:59 PM »

It is a Triaxis.

I think he keeps messing about with his tone, doesn't he? He's trying lots of different things this tour, keeps switching out guitar pedals. Wonder if the tone in that video might have been a bit experimental.
I saw two shows and have a Boston boot. I think it works well on some stuff but not others. I think TEI has way too much midrange (despite him apparently lowering it substantially) and The Mirror/Lie just sound plain weird with it.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »

Well, I found a few ones, but they are going to be patched anyway. He had better nights in the tour (Manchester for example, or Philly), but he sounded great. Having listened to a lot of bootlegs from the leg I can tell that in Boston he pushed a little his performance beyond his standard confidence level, especially with regards to the highest end of the register, and that mostly turned out fine, but at least on one occasion his voice nearly left him in a critical moment. Still, a couple well aimed patches and this may very well become one of his best recorded performances.

Cool Annalysis, Wasteland, I notice these things in his voice too. It's cool when he gets one night to push it slightly more, so he hits more notes, but he uses proper technique so he doesn't blow out his middle voice passage and high notes.

Also he was AMAZING on the first show I ever saw of this tour (live, I hadn't watched youtube videos to compare yet), in Riverside. I think slightly better than the following night in LA. Still, Philly was probably even better, maybe Manchester.

I havent listened to the christmas CD in awhile, were there any mistakes in that?

The whole CD is completely and entirely untouched except Another Day, on which James was auto-tuned, or manually-tuned or whatever you call it when you tune something note by note. Either way it was a pretty quick job. They only had one performance of that to choose from.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2014, 05:12:18 AM »
^ I actually wouldn't have guessed that Another Day was pitch-corrected. It turned out way better than the CiM pitch correction. :lol Was it a major change from the actual performance?

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2014, 09:17:52 AM »
That's because it was pitch corrected quickly and kind of sloppily at about two points in the song (second "so die another DAAAYYYY" on very the end of the word "DAY" and the last "you won't find it here" on "here"), but it did not have that thin robot, cell phone answering machine sound. They managed to maintain the quality of the vocal track.

It drastically changed every note that was flat (not so much any others).. Mainly the second "DAY" and the last "here", and it especially changed the "WHOA" before the guitar solo which was originally WAY flat. I've heard the original.

Offline robr

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2014, 05:47:01 PM »
You must have been almost next to me. Front row balcony center immediately to the right of the projector. Has my 9yo dt fanatic son with me for his first concert.

I was at this show, front row balcony center/right and the band was definitely very tight.  LaBrie was fantastic.  No clams all night that I can recall.

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2014, 10:29:40 PM »

Where'd you find a bootleg from Boston? I'd love to hear it.

Offline master

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2014, 06:53:06 AM »
I was at this show, front row balcony center/right and the band was definitely very tight.  LaBrie was fantastic.  No clams all night that I can recall.

i almost got to go but had to fly back to New York for a week, can't wait to see this dvd, hope its better than Luna

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »
UAGM final verse sounds weird and the F# in LTL cracks up a bit after James reaches it.

The rawness makes it sound more passionate.  He sounds like a 50 year old dude, singing an incredibly challenging song after singing for a couple hours already, who tries his damnedest to hit that note.  He does, and strains to hold it, yet it sounds awesome.   Not flawless but just plain awesome. 

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2014, 03:35:20 PM »
Can't wait for Live at Boston Opera House

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2014, 04:45:50 PM »

That F# sounds like someone trying to hit a punching bag, and ending up knocking the punching bag off its chain, which then causes it to crash through the wall and kill several pedestrians in the process. It's impressive, but at the same time, it makes you go, "What the hell just happened?"
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2014, 03:21:40 AM »
I just want a bit more crowd noise this time. I always thought Budokan was quiet until I heard LALP. Even on the "Intro tape begins to roll" part was just silent. I was amazed when I watched LAB back the other day the difference between the two. I would like some more of the crowd audio for Boston please!!

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2014, 04:29:26 AM »

The rawness makes it sound more passionate.  He sounds like a 50 year old dude, singing an incredibly challenging song after singing for a couple hours already, who tries his damnedest to hit that note.  He does, and strains to hold it, yet it sounds awesome.   Not flawless but just plain awesome.

I just searched it out.

I totally 100% agree with that analysis. It's pretty fucking raw but also balls to wall brutal. Gotta love JLB.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2014, 07:18:08 AM »
I just want a bit more crowd noise this time. I always thought Budokan was quiet until I heard LALP. Even on the "Intro tape begins to roll" part was just silent. I was amazed when I watched LAB back the other day the difference between the two. I would like some more of the crowd audio for Boston please!!

Haha agreed! More crowd noise this time around is a must, especially for those "vital" crowd participation moments, like you mentioned above, "intro tape begins to roll" is definitely one of them.

Additionally, I really hope the visual aspects of the show are captured well, this touring cycle had such well-done staging and videos it would be a shame for that presentation to not be translated well to the finished product.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »
Yeah one of the best things about this tour was "Oh really?" and "I will ril out your heart and feed it to the dragons". Those videos were all awesome. I realise that alot of people made them but it would be great to see to get that lot onto the Extras.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2014, 03:29:25 PM »
Listening to the bootleg right now, they will definitely have to do some pitch correction here and there.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »
All we know is that it will be released on a Tuesday.
:lol
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2014, 05:58:13 PM »
The real question is:

Should this thread be stickied for the next three years?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »
Nah, they got a competent production company this time.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »
Any word on who's producing the DVD this time around?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
Any word on who's producing the DVD this time around?
Not Over The Edge Productions that's for sure.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2014, 12:03:04 PM »
Sooooooo Thanks to Over The Edge for not producing?! :lol
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 01:37:21 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2014, 12:17:29 PM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2014, 01:46:59 PM »
I've yet to watch Luna Park. It's still sitting unopened on top of my PS4.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
So do we know for sure Over the Edge was the problem?

I mean part of the delay was the theatrical premiere and it sure seems like Over the Edge and their facts caused a bit of it, but is it any more than an educated hunch?