Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 219303 times)

Offline tuto

Re: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread
« Reply #1960 on: November 28, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »
I already asked this question in another thread, but everyone ignored me.  :sad:

I'll try again here.

Does anyone know what those weird creepy monster things in the Illumination Theory animation are supposed to be?

Where do they come from? What are their desires, thoughts and beliefs? What sort of culture do they come from?

I want to make a book about them.

Truly have no idea. I'm curious as well

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1961 on: November 29, 2014, 11:07:12 AM »
I already asked this question in another thread, but everyone ignored me.  :sad:

I'll try again here.

Does anyone know what those weird creepy monster things in the Illumination Theory animation are supposed to be?

Where do they come from? Why are they here? Where do they go when they die?

Fix'd
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1962 on: March 07, 2015, 11:00:58 PM »
so I never got around to buying this at the time, but will be fixing that soon.  I'm looking on Amazon.com (aka Amazon US) and this is what I see as the main option when searching for dream theater breaking the fourth wall

https://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Fourth-Boston-Opera-Blu-ray/dp/B00MUDYJ5W/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425793649&sr=8-1&keywords=dream+theater+breaking+the+fourth+wall

I'm confused by two things:

- the region listed as B/2.  Why is Amazon US selling this as the primary option?

- the run-time is listed as 90 minutes.  I thought this was well over that.

anybody have any insight into either item?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1963 on: March 07, 2015, 11:17:50 PM »
A mistake on Amazon's part regarding the length I can only assume. 

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1964 on: March 07, 2015, 11:24:10 PM »
yeah, I can get past that one.  But the region still baffles me.  There was a discussion started on the product page, but it's all people asking the question with no answers.
Winger would be better!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1965 on: March 07, 2015, 11:31:05 PM »
yeah, I can get past that one.  But the region still baffles me.  There was a discussion started on the product page, but it's all people asking the question with no answers.

Strange. If you look at the picture of the back cover and read the bottom it says 'Made in E.U.'  Do they not have an American version for sale?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1966 on: March 08, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »
Anybody here annoyed with how they looped some of the audience noise? Especially this high-pitched laughter that always comes in the left speaker. It's distracting.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #1967 on: March 08, 2015, 09:27:34 AM »
Anybody here annoyed with how they looped some of the audience noise? Especially this high-pitched laughter that always comes in the left speaker. It's distracting.

Can you point out when this happens in the DVD/BR? I never catched that.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1968 on: March 08, 2015, 10:01:06 AM »

Can you point out when this happens in the DVD/BR? I never catched that.

The clearest is at the start of the second set, one before the band comes in, and another around two bars after the drums come in. It's a high pitched "hahaha!" that comes in the left speaker. At first I was not distracted and then I heard it in the other songs. Before the AFTR intro, after the full band comes in Illumination Theory, at the end of the second set, after the big intro of Overture 1928, just to name a few. That high pitched "hahaha" is always coming in the left speaker.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1969 on: March 08, 2015, 10:33:38 AM »

Strange. If you look at the picture of the back cover and read the bottom it says 'Made in E.U.'  Do they not have an American version for sale?

as best as I can tell, no.  very strange.
Winger would be better!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1970 on: March 08, 2015, 01:45:44 PM »
The beginning of Enigma Machine annoys me with that one.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1971 on: March 08, 2015, 10:29:03 PM »

as best as I can tell, no.  very strange.

I'm not sure I would go ahead and order it.  It seems too risky.  Maybe try another site?  I know I ordered it from Amazon but that was right when it came out and it was definitely listed as an American version.  Let me check my Amazon account and see if I can pull up the old order and the item. 

edit: I checked and when I click the links it brings me to the European version.  So either I ordered that version unknowingly or they switched the item on the page.   All I can do is check the actual item itself when I get home from work later on and let you know.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1972 on: March 08, 2015, 10:49:46 PM »
hey, I really appreciate it.  Thanks for looking out for a fellow DT fan.  If you happen to find out anything, let me know.

I did contact Amazon customer service to see if they could figure out if it was a listing error or not.  The guy on the other end obviously couldn't verify it himself, but he said he could make a note on the item to have someone look into it.  If the listing is incorrect they could change it.  I may just try to find it elsewhere, we'll see . . .
Winger would be better!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1973 on: March 08, 2015, 11:03:48 PM »
hey, I really appreciate it.  Thanks for looking out for a fellow DT fan.  If you happen to find out anything, let me know.

I did contact Amazon customer service to see if they could figure out if it was a listing error or not.  The guy on the other end obviously couldn't verify it himself, but he said he could make a note on the item to have someone look into it.  If the listing is incorrect they could change it.  I may just try to find it elsewhere, we'll see . . .

Not a problem.   :D     

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1974 on: March 09, 2015, 04:45:33 AM »
The beginning of Enigma Machine annoys me with that one.
Yeah, that's the worst offender, stood out like a sore thumb the first time I listened to the album. There's such a sudden and radical change in the crowd noise, I don't know what they were thinking. 

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1975 on: March 13, 2015, 10:12:13 PM »
hey Prog Snob, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on that Amazon listing.  I figured the product page just had to be a mistake.  It arrived today and I just put it in the player.  Glorious DT sounds and pictures quickly filled the room, so the gamble paid off!
Winger would be better!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1976 on: March 14, 2015, 12:43:39 AM »
hey Prog Snob, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on that Amazon listing.  I figured the product page just had to be a mistake.  It arrived today and I just put it in the player.  Glorious DT sounds and pictures quickly filled the room, so the gamble paid off!

I was just about to come in here to tell you I haven't got to finding my copy yet because I still haven't unpacked everything in the new place yet.  I'm glad it worked out though.  Does the note on bottom of the back cover say Made in EU?   

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1977 on: March 14, 2015, 07:59:41 AM »
nope.  It says manufactured and distributed by Warner Music Group, New York, NY yada yada yada

I'm going to go suggest a change to the product details on Amazon
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1978 on: March 14, 2015, 08:01:05 AM »
in addition to the run time and region being incorrect, I noticed the aspect ratio was listed incorrectly.  I think somebody at Amazon was just lazy when they transferred that product page from whatever the original version was.
Winger would be better!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1979 on: November 08, 2015, 09:40:06 PM »
Just got this, watching for the first time now! Pretty cool.
No complaints except the same problem from Luna Park; JLB talks over good instrumental parts every now and then.
In The Mirror JP sings in the mic, the "temptation, self control, etc" parts, it doesn't sound at all like him, is it Portnoy's original voice clips or is it just some effect applied on JP's voice?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1980 on: November 08, 2015, 10:28:16 PM »
No complaints except the same problem from Luna Park; JLB talks over good instrumental parts every now and then.
In The Mirror JP sings in the mic, the "temptation, self control, etc" parts, it doesn't sound at all like him, is it Portnoy's original voice clips or is it just some effect applied on JP's voice?

There are no Portnoy vocals in the backing tracks, it's all either JP or JLB, with vocal effects. If it doesn't sound like JP, then it's JLB.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1981 on: November 09, 2015, 06:55:59 PM »

There are no Portnoy vocals in the backing tracks, it's all either JP or JLB, with vocal effects. If it doesn't sound like JP, then it's JLB.

Of course, in Shattered Fortress, it doesn't sound like either of them because of the vocal effect.  More importantly, it doesn't sound the same the studio version indicating as Blob said, everything has been rerecorded. 

Even Root of All Evil on LALP seems to have a newly recorded drum intro. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1982 on: November 09, 2015, 10:08:27 PM »
Excellent BluRay, Illumination Theory, Dance of Eternity, The Mirror and Space Dye Vest are the highlights.
Man JLB did such a great job on Space Dye Vest, I love every little change he did in delivers some of the lines. The "There's no one to take my blame.." verse was simply wonderful. Props to the whole band on this SDV, stayed true to the original with little tweaks that made it even more enjoyable.
I gotta say I couldn't take my eyes off Mangini for the whole SDV performance he was fun to watch even in the no-drums sections, he just leaned on his set and watched the band play :lol
I dunno if it's just my TV but I could barely hear the orchestra, they're only audible when JP's guitar is clean or with little distortion level.
As fun as it was on LSFN and Budokhan; the Dance of Eternity's heavy section near the climax of the song is pretty amazing to watch, especially how JP and JMX arms and hands are moving in total sync.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1983 on: November 09, 2015, 11:56:16 PM »
BTFW has surpassed Score as my favorite live video release that DT has ever done.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1984 on: November 10, 2015, 05:00:04 AM »
It won't pass Budokan for me, but it is the 2nd best and tops Score.  The overall quality of this is very good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1985 on: November 10, 2015, 07:52:46 AM »
I might watch this again later.

Is it this one or Luna Park that has that breathy vocal mic problem ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1986 on: November 10, 2015, 07:53:20 AM »

I'll try again here.

Where do they come from? Why are they here? Where do they go when they die?

Fix'd

:JayOctavarium: :clap: :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1987 on: November 10, 2015, 07:53:32 AM »
The visuals, sound, and performance level are so high that the only thing that could prevent this from being most fans' favorite would be, I would imagine, the setlist, which is completely understandable.

Well, also, there are a couple times where JLB does something a little too JLB-ish.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1988 on: November 10, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »
there are a couple times where JLB does something a little too JLB-ish.
Explain?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1989 on: November 10, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »
You know.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #1990 on: November 10, 2015, 11:40:24 AM »
Do I? Seriously. Do I?

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1991 on: November 10, 2015, 11:42:27 AM »
"Burden me, lead me like a lamb to the slaughter, yeeeeeeeeee"
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:41:37 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1992 on: November 10, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »
I might watch this again later.

Is it this one or Luna Park that has that breathy vocal mic problem ?

I remember Luna Park having that issue, especially during The Spirit Carries On.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1993 on: November 10, 2015, 11:56:46 AM »
And the way he says "reflection" on SDV, facepalm moment heh
"Whooo this is not how I want it to end, whooo and I'll never be open again", the "ow"s from the album version didn't need to be tweaked IMO, especially not with "who" :lol
Honestly though I look past these couple of things for the GLORIOUS delivery he gave on "there's no where to set my aim..", fuckin kicked my ass, I clapped.

« Reply #1994 on: November 10, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »
Nevermind, Hef. I know what you're talking about now  :lol