Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 219893 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread
« Reply #1785 on: October 26, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »
Whatever they play from I&W next tour, it better not be Pull Me Under, Surrounded or Metropolis.....I personally am really burnt out on those songs.

Me too. And I would add Under a Glass Moon to the list.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1786 on: October 26, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »
Whatever they play from I&W next tour, it better not be Pull Me Under, Surrounded or Metropolis.....I personally am really burnt out on those songs.

Me too. And I would add Under a Glass Moon to the list.
Yeah, plus James totally ruined the last part of the chorus with that scream (TIIIIIMMEEEEE) on the previous tour, which by the way is one of my favorite JLB moments, both in studio and on Score. Pity.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #1787 on: October 26, 2014, 05:46:17 PM »
Learning to Live with James' current performance would be impressive to hear. Also LTL connecting up with WFS would be perfect, I really hope they take that into consideration.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1788 on: October 26, 2014, 07:02:31 PM »
I think that LtL boils down to how comfortable James is with the prospect of singing it regularly.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1789 on: October 26, 2014, 07:06:08 PM »
I'm personally not too interested in hearing any IAW song live any time soon. They've kinda been done to death.
I would want to hear some SDOIT stuff, and The Count. And Octavarium.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1790 on: October 26, 2014, 07:17:10 PM »
I'm personally not too interested in hearing any IAW song live any time soon. They've kinda been done to death.
I would want to hear some SDOIT stuff, and The Count. And Octavarium.

Agree completely Rumbo.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1791 on: October 26, 2014, 08:04:12 PM »
Another comment regarding the IAW, I personally think JLB actually *doesn't* capture these days anymore what made IAW so great. I mean, I agree that he has settled/evolved his voice in a very good place these days. But the ridiculous ease with which he hit the notes back in the day just isn't there anymore, and that for me makes me lose interest in hearing yet another rendition of the songs.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1792 on: October 27, 2014, 02:55:47 AM »
The only song I really want to hear from I&W is Take the Time, with the "I've heard the promises" part sung by James once again and "Unbroken spirits" added back in.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1793 on: October 27, 2014, 05:05:50 AM »
The only song I really want to hear from I&W is Take the Time, with the "I've heard the promises" part sung by James once again and "Unbroken spirits" added back in.

Where´s the LIKE button?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1794 on: October 27, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »

Same here.  But, honestly, it isn't even because I am eager to actually hear the song.  It's just the completist in me wanting a good live version of it.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1795 on: October 27, 2014, 09:48:56 AM »
There are great live versions of every I&W song out there, and as rumbo says they've been done to death. DT has always struck me as a band that doesn't need to go back to their 'hits' in their live show, so I do hope they give those songs a good rest.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1796 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
Well, almost every I&W song.  Unless I am forgetting something, as I mentioned, TTT is not well represented (unless there is a good version from LiT that I am not remembering). 

Another Day is also missing in terms of having a "great" live version.  But I can live with that.  (1) As has been mentioned numerous times, the way the song is written (and in particular, the vocal lines), it would be virtually impossible to get a great live version.  (2) I don't really care for it anyway.  Even if we got a really good live version, the odds of me taking the time to listen to it more than once would be close to 0.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1797 on: October 27, 2014, 10:23:05 AM »
Thought the version of Another Day on Live scenes from New York was pretty good....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1798 on: October 27, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »
Instrumentally, it was good.  But James struggled with it.  I mean, it is MUCH better than the OIALT version, but he still comes up flat when going for quite a few higher notes.  Contrast that with, for example, Learning To Live where he didn't go for the F#, did a harmony line instread, and rather than miss the note and sound flat, he sounded fantastic.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1799 on: October 27, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »
Pretty sure Live in Tokyo has a good rendition of Take the Time.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1800 on: October 27, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »
The last American show with Kevin Moore in New York 1993 might be the best I&W live.  It shows up on the book "Excellent" and I've seen the "Another DAy" video on you tube.  Also, the 1992 Japan boots are great too.  But as far as official releases, Live in Tokyo is pretty darn good.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1801 on: October 28, 2014, 09:16:24 AM »

That is correct.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1802 on: October 28, 2014, 09:58:26 AM »
Instrumentally, it was good.  But James struggled with it.  I mean, it is MUCH better than the OIALT version, but he still comes up flat when going for quite a few higher notes.  Contrast that with, for example, Learning To Live where he didn't go for the F#, did a harmony line instread, and rather than miss the note and sound flat, he sounded fantastic.

Wait, Another Day is on OIALT? Or did you mean Take the Time?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1803 on: October 28, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »

That is correct.
Incorrect. LIT has the music video of Take The Time, not a live performance.

Another Day is not on OIALT, but Take The Time is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1804 on: October 28, 2014, 10:31:37 AM »
LiT has an unforgettable performance of TTT. See how unforgettable it is?

No but really I don't get how you guys could not remember this one.. It's not perfect, but it's certainly quite extraordinary.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1805 on: October 28, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »

No, I was responding to Another Day on LSFNY (see the post immediately above mine; I know it is customary to use quotes so it is clear what we are responding to, but since it was the last post, I thought it would have been more clear what I was responding to; sorry).

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1806 on: October 28, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »
Also OiaLt has an outtake of Another Day acoustically. I think I heard it once or twice.

I'd love a new live version of TTT by the current band and current James with the second verse included, and the chorus being sung. I wish at least you could hear the audience singing on LiT, but you really can't.

Plus I'll add that I am totally in love with the Happy Holidays version of UAGM. I love the scream, though not as much as the regular E5, but other things about it are just awesome too. I was actually wishing after hearing some bootlegs that we could have an official release of UAGM from the Arizona show or the San Diego show since James's performances were so phenominal, and then guess what happened??

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1807 on: October 28, 2014, 10:41:32 AM »
We have two good recent versions of UAGM, if you count the Happy Holidays release (the other being on Score).  I appreciate that both of those actually made me appreciate a song that I previously did not care for.  But I don't feel that we need another one. 

EDIT:  And since you mention the San Diego and Arizona shows, I should also add that they should think about doing a live release from one of those two places.  Yeah, the crowds may not be as big.  But in terms of getting a solid vocal performance, those are two climates that, for different reasons, are GREAT for a singer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1808 on: October 28, 2014, 10:46:52 AM »
Oh, it's after Puppies On Acid, right?

:facepalm:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1809 on: October 28, 2014, 10:49:12 AM »
yes
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1810 on: October 28, 2014, 10:52:30 AM »
So, it's been a while since I've seen it.   :biggrin:

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1811 on: October 28, 2014, 10:53:24 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zSPsS4D6T9U I mean look at this! The day before my show too. Which means I didn't see this song, but I got to see them do Caught in a Web and Pull Me Under this well instead.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1812 on: October 28, 2014, 10:56:47 AM »
We have two good recent versions of UAGM, if you count the Happy Holidays release (the other being on Score).  I appreciate that both of those actually made me appreciate a song that I previously did not care for.  But I don't feel that we need another one. 

All this. Honestly, listening to Score yesterday, I think I like James' performance on it better than on the album. There's just such a nice quality to the way he sings "Waiting for TIME to disappear." Although honestly, I think his over the top screaming of it on the Holidays release kind of crashed and burned. Not the biggest fan of that version.

EDIT:  And since you mention the San Diego and Arizona shows, I should also add that they should think about doing a live release from one of those two places.  Yeah, the crowds may not be as big.  But in terms of getting a solid vocal performance, those are two climates that, for different reasons, are GREAT for a singer.
Arizona? Really? But it's a dry heat.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1813 on: October 28, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
It's definitely time to bring back the full version of Take The Time.

« Reply #1814 on: October 28, 2014, 11:26:47 AM »

Are you saying that it's time for Take The Time?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1815 on: October 28, 2014, 11:40:18 AM »

All in due time.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1816 on: October 28, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »

All in due time.
Is that a promise? I've heard the promises...

« Reply #1817 on: October 28, 2014, 11:51:17 AM »

All in due time.
Is that a promise? I've heard the promises...

Nope, we can't be sure. I tried asking, but there are no answers from voices above.

Actually, that could always be one of the questions for the whole Twitter thing that's happening, so there may be answers from voices above afterall.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1818 on: October 28, 2014, 07:02:30 PM »
So, it's been a while since I've seen it.   :biggrin:

That's no excuse! It's Take the Time! :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1819 on: October 29, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »
Still totally perplexed at the Awake set. They seriously nail it to the bone on this DVD.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .