Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 219802 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread
« Reply #1680 on: October 09, 2014, 05:51:27 PM »
Last thing.What's up with the damn taxi cab?

It's all from the DT12 booklet art. And also fits with the "Along For The Ride" tour concept.

I was wondering whether Jordan was afraid that something might go wrong with the orchestra recording. If he didn't play anything, there might not be anything at all to put on the DVD.

There's no reason he shouldn't play anyway. To change up what you're playing or change the patches for a one-off show isn't worth the trouble and risk, and it doesn't matter when they can just mix it appropriately after the fact to use the orchestra for those sections instead. And a lot of people said the strings weren't very audible on the night, so it would have sounded bare.

I'm wondering whether the live performers recorded well, because they're not that to me on BTFW, including the mid section of IT. Same with the choir. There are points where they are singing along to lyrical passages, but I don't really hear them. The points where I hear strings/choir are predominantly synth from what I recall.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1681 on: October 09, 2014, 06:03:03 PM »
Well, I've tried everything I can but I just can't do it.  I can't rip the audo from my Blu-ray version (yes I have a Blu-ray drive ;)).

It really bugs me cuz I've done it before on several of my concert Blu-rays but it's been so long since I've done it I've forgotten how I did it.

I'm going to have to purchase the songs digitally so that gives me iTunes for $14.99 or HDTracks for $26.98 (take 15% off that with coupon code).  I've never done HDTracks before and people seem to have analyzed them and I've heard everything from "totally worth it" to "total ass".

Could I get a final quick opinion on which digital version to get?  Of course I'd rather have the lossless FLACs but the quality isn't really any better than the iTunes mp3 then I can save a few bucks.

OR... if anyone can give me a solution to ripping the audio that would be my first choice.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: October 09, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »
Just started going through another watch and this is so good and amazing.  TSF slays and the ADTOE songs are way better here than LALP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1683 on: October 09, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »
This thing deserves a cd release more than Luna Park ever did.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1684 on: October 10, 2014, 04:55:38 AM »
This thing deserves a cd release more than Luna Park ever did.

Yes! I want that album on my spotify.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1685 on: October 10, 2014, 05:25:45 AM »
TSF slays and the ADTOE songs are way better here than LALP.

BAI, Fourth Wall > BAI, Luna Park

OTBOA, Fourth Wall < OTBOA, Luna Park

I had trouble reconciling which ones I prefer but I think I'm more inclined to the LP version of OTBOA and BAI seems more refined on BTFW.

The end of Finally Free was a letdown for me.  I was expecting some killer MM fills!

I fully understand. I got real anti-climaxed there.  :lol I think it's cause I expected something a bit more crazy and intense I guess. Still an awesome version of this song though.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1686 on: October 10, 2014, 05:47:36 AM »
I could be wrong,  but I think MM has stepped up now at the end of Finally Free. At the show last Sunday he did some good fills in it, although not as flashy as MP's.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1687 on: October 10, 2014, 05:56:04 AM »
MM must be saying "Come on, I just played a fill with a different time signature played on top of the 4/4 Finally Free normal time signature, I have been playing like crazy since the start, I have given my soul up to play those crazy fills in The Shattered Fortress and to play a 20-minute epic perfectly, and you are still complaining about me not doing amazing fills by the end of this very long show?"  :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1688 on: October 10, 2014, 05:58:28 AM »

BAI, Fourth Wall > BAI, Luna Park

OTBOA, Fourth Wall < OTBOA, Luna Park

I had trouble reconciling which ones I prefer but I think I'm more inclined to the LP version of OTBOA and BAI seems more refined on BTFW.

Well, I'd say OTBOA isn't really that spectacular of a song in the first place, so there wasn't THAT much lost in the LP version, BUT, in the LP version, JLB did end it so, so much better, and ultimately, that's what really sells that version for me. Every time I listen to the BTFW version, I hear the end of OTBOA and I just yearn to hear JLB go up during that part again. But alas, it doesn't happen.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1689 on: October 10, 2014, 06:43:03 AM »
Well, I've tried everything I can but I just can't do it.  I can't rip the audo from my Blu-ray version (yes I have a Blu-ray drive ;)).

It really bugs me cuz I've done it before on several of my concert Blu-rays but it's been so long since I've done it I've forgotten how I did it.

I'm going to have to purchase the songs digitally so that gives me iTunes for $14.99 or HDTracks for $26.98 (take 15% off that with coupon code).  I've never done HDTracks before and people seem to have analyzed them and I've heard everything from "totally worth it" to "total ass".

Could I get a final quick opinion on which digital version to get?  Of course I'd rather have the lossless FLACs but the quality isn't really any better than the iTunes mp3 then I can save a few bucks.

OR... if anyone can give me a solution to ripping the audio that would be my first choice.

I use software called "Handbrake" to make individual video tracks in mp4 format.  I then convert the mp4 to mp3 with a conversion program.  There might be better ways to do that, but it works for me.  Hope that helps.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1690 on: October 10, 2014, 07:16:06 AM »
MM must be saying "Come on, I just played a fill with a different time signature played on top of the 4/4 Finally Free normal time signature, I have been playing like crazy since the start, I have given my soul up to play those crazy fills in The Shattered Fortress and to play a 20-minute epic perfectly, and you are still complaining about me not doing amazing fills by the end of this very long show?"  :lol
Well, I'm not expected super-fancy fills, far from it, but for me that section is characterised by the drum soloing and off-beat rhythms. Those completely make that section - everything else going on is repetitive and provides a backing for that drum work. So I'll admit that I was quite disappointed when I saw them that he was basically just playing a steady 4/4 with some fills.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1691 on: October 10, 2014, 08:24:44 AM »
BUT, in the LP version, JLB did end it so, so much better, and ultimately, that's what really sells that version for me. Every time I listen to the BTFW version, I hear the end of OTBOA and I just yearn to hear JLB go up during that part again. But alas, it doesn't happen.

Absolutely, exactly how I feel regarding the ending on Luna Park.  :millahhhh

Well, I'm not expected super-fancy fills, far from it, but for me that section is characterised by the drum soloing and off-beat rhythms. Those completely make that section - everything else going on is repetitive and provides a backing for that drum work. So I'll admit that I was quite disappointed when I saw them that he was basically just playing a steady 4/4 with some fills.

Yeah, something was just a bit off. Not quite as epic, the drums don't stand out and take the lead there like you'd expect them too in that section. Could be a result of MM still being responsible for the tempo as I believe it's been mentioned that in the past, the other players kept rhythm for that section so that MP could go all out with his fills and it had a somewhat looser feel. I'm probably being overly picky about it, but just speculating on the possible differences as to why it turned out so different. Other than the obvious fact that it's a different person  :lol. I guess it was always a stand out MP moment so we were always gonna be exceedingly analytical regarding how MM would interpret it.

Haha, yeah probably.  :xbones

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1692 on: October 10, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »
Could be a result of MM still being responsible for the tempo as I believe it's been mentioned that in the past, the other players kept rhythm for that section so that MP could go all out with his fills and it had a somewhat looser feel.
Nah, they use a click-track now, so it won't be that.

I'm probably being overly picky about it, but just speculating on the possible differences as to why it turned out so different. Other than the obvious fact that it's a different person  :lol. I guess it was always a stand out MP moment so we were always gonna be exceedingly analytical regarding how MM would interpret it.
I don't feel that I'm particularly picky - I haven't felt that way about anything else and I love it when people do something a bit different. Indeed, if anything it'd be nice to see MM change things up a bit more. It's just that section in particular. Without the cool off-beat rhythms, it's just a very bland, repetitive section, in my opinion.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1693 on: October 10, 2014, 08:53:29 AM »
AFAIK, MM is the only one who hears the click, so he is still keeping everyone else in time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1694 on: October 10, 2014, 09:17:09 AM »
Is that so? I assumed that while they might not have the click on at all times like MM will have, they will have it for certain sections where MM doesn't play. E.g. Finally Free has a long section with MM doing nothing.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1695 on: October 10, 2014, 09:28:26 AM »
Is that so? I assumed that while they might not have the click on at all times like MM will have, they will have it for certain sections where MM doesn't play. E.g. Finally Free has a long section with MM doing nothing.

Maybe. I'm under the assumption that MM was using the invisible cowbell.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1696 on: October 10, 2014, 09:35:51 AM »
Yeah I assumed that was the case too. In fact, it wouldn't make sense otherwise, because if they got slightly out of sync when MM isn't playing then it would be a mess when he came back in.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1697 on: October 10, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »

Maybe. I'm under the assumption that MM was using the invisible cowbell.
Same here.

Could be wrong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: October 10, 2014, 10:11:10 AM »
Could be wrong.

I'm not willing to believe that...I don't like my illusions shattered.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1699 on: October 10, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »
Could be wrong.

Don't you mean broken? :neverusethis:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: October 10, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1701 on: October 10, 2014, 10:48:35 AM »
Could be wrong.

Oh, I meant the information could be wrong.  Not that I personally could be wrong.

Ah, yes.

lol

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #1702 on: October 10, 2014, 11:56:31 AM »
I ordered the blu-ray 3cd edition last night and successfully downloaded TLG. Has anyone else had problems downloading the digital album? Mine says expired. Only ordered it yesterday.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1703 on: October 11, 2014, 11:59:24 PM »
I use software called "Handbrake" to make individual video tracks in mp4 format.  I then convert the mp4 to mp3 with a conversion program.  There might be better ways to do that, but it works for me.  Hope that helps.

That worked, thanks very much.  :)

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1704 on: October 12, 2014, 10:51:50 AM »
There are much better ways to do this, because you're taking (presumably) lossless audio and converting it to AAC then again to MP3. This strips a hell of a lot of clarity from the audio.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:36:18 PM by Nick »
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline LTE3

« Reply #1705 on: October 12, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »
Every time a new Dream Theater DVD comes out, people wonder if LaBrie will touch or surpass his performance on Score. Personally, I don't think it will ever happen, and it doesn't have to - LaBrie is awesome anyway. I'll be getting this very soon.  :metal

I couldn't agree more dude, I was at the score show and his performance was perfect. I had seen him struggle in years passed at shows but that night was magical. I have never seen so many smiles from the guys. This latest Blu-ray I am for once waiting to pull the trigger as I was disappointed with the Luna Park DVD so now I'm gun shy. From what I am hearing this one is way better, and the set list is great so I'm sure I have pick it up soon.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1706 on: October 12, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
Well, I'd say LaBrie's performance is better than Score on both LALP and BTFW. Score is awesome, no denying that but it comes to me the Score setlist fits his voice style that he used these days. Much more clean and powerful at hitting high notes. But now, starting with ADTOE tours he's been using his wild-ish style that he used to have back in 92-96 with much more control. He knows his limits and uses them just perfect, IMO.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1707 on: October 13, 2014, 06:12:49 AM »
There are much better ways to do this, because you're taking (presumably) lossless audio and converting it to AAC then again to MP3. This strips a hell of a lot of clarity from the audio.

Yes, the quality is affected.  I normally don't listen to the audio only on the video releases, it's just to have it if needed.

I would be interested in hearing another way of doing it that would result in better quality.  Perhaps you could share your method?

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1708 on: October 13, 2014, 07:00:01 AM »
I would use eac3to to extract the lossless audio and compress it once to my desired format.

eac3to is a command like tool. Don't know about a GUI solution.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1709 on: October 13, 2014, 10:38:32 AM »
Being that I don't have a BD drive I don't know how effective the ripping process is and how bad the copy protection on BDs are, but judging from the pirates doing a lossless rip is totally viable. I believe that most people typically rip the video to an MKV file, which I would then run through a demux program to get the WAV sound off of.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1710 on: October 13, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »
Watched it twice now and want to see it again, I have a new addiction!!  I've read some complaints about the sound. No issues here, sounds great to me and captures a good live feel. I just play it through the stereo sound (not 5.1 or 7.1) and a HDTV.  The picture quality is very good and colorful. I wish they would get a few more stage shots though as the lighting and production was great on this tour, but that's minor. I'm just greatful to be able to enjoy a kick ass Dream Theater concert in my living room with all this modern technology doing it near justice. The next best thing to actually being there at the show. Well done DT,  a great treasure to have and you all are amazing at your craft.
  I think the highlight for me is Illumination Theory, just stunning!!!   the only thing I miss on this release is The Bigger Picture, might be my fav track on the new album and just a beautiful song..
 It's easy to drink alot of beer throughout the course of this show  ;)
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1711 on: October 13, 2014, 05:08:22 PM »
Well, I'd say LaBrie's performance is better than Score on both LALP and BTFW. Score is awesome, no denying that but it comes to me the Score setlist fits his voice style that he used these days. Much more clean and powerful at hitting high notes. But now, starting with ADTOE tours he's been using his wild-ish style that he used to have back in 92-96 with much more control. He knows his limits and uses them just perfect, IMO.

Agree 100%

There is nothing wrong with Score per se, but it does lack that "wild-ishness" from earlier LaBrie.  Now his performances are as consistent as they were between 2004-2010 AND he is a lot more free in his singing, improvising occasionally, and generally has a more full sound. 

I will gladly take 2014 LaBrie over any other era even though he can hit those ungodly high soaring notes like from Live at Marquee, but everything else MORE than makes up for it. 

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1712 on: October 13, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »
Yeah, his performance on Score was one of the most consistent ones I've heard from him, but it was entirely safe, and like I mentioned, his stage presence and the way he carried himself on stage left much to be desired.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1713 on: October 13, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
He's performing with way more personality. A direct result of MP leaving.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1714 on: October 13, 2014, 05:39:41 PM »
A direct result of MP leaving.
Somehow I doubt this. A lot.
Blob?