Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 219859 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread
« Reply #1645 on: October 08, 2014, 12:49:55 AM »
Check out this JLB performance of TheMirror/Lie.

Better even than the one from BTFW, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1sC5RMdK_o

Ok, I know South American fans get into the performance more, but the singing of keyboard lines was a bit ... silly.

That's how all concerts should be.

Filled with a lot of passion and enthusiasm, which is more than I can say about a broad crowd (of any band really) in the states.  At least, you know that the crowd is heavily invested in the show and that's a great thing.

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #1646 on: October 08, 2014, 04:40:32 AM »

Ok, I know South American fans get into the performance more, but the singing of keyboard lines was a bit ... silly.

That's how all concerts should be.

Silly?  :biggrin:

On second thought let's not go to that Dream Theater concert; tis a silly place.
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1647 on: October 08, 2014, 05:12:27 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1648 on: October 08, 2014, 07:56:33 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted, but I really don't like what Jordan did at the end of The Mirror. The original arrangement was perfect.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1649 on: October 08, 2014, 07:59:31 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted, but I really don't like what Jordan did at the end of The Mirror. The original arrangement was perfect.
Jordan has been soloing over the end of The Mirror for 14 years.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1650 on: October 08, 2014, 08:09:47 AM »
Personally, I think Jordan's solo over the end of The Mirror is perfect! It's just what the song needed and his ratio of wailing to wheedling is tasty.

And, again I know I sound like a broken record, but at this point is anyone really surprised?! Hoping that Jordan stops shredding in DT songs is the height of futility. It's been 15 years since he joined the band folks, the wheedling will continue.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1651 on: October 08, 2014, 08:45:57 AM »
Sad, but true. However, in a song like The Mirror, it's just kind of tasteless, since that is normally a song without any kind of real solo, and it should have been left that way.  The jam at the end that leads into Lie is so freaking awesome, and turning it into a wank fast, while expected at this point, it still kind of a shame.  I still enjoy the hell out of The Mirror on there cause the rest of it is so awesome, but that unnecessary solo does make me wince.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1652 on: October 08, 2014, 08:50:35 AM »
If by "kind of a shame" you mean, "turned it into a total awesomefest," then I wholeheartedly agree.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1653 on: October 08, 2014, 08:52:03 AM »
 :lol

Trust in bosk1
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1654 on: October 08, 2014, 08:52:19 AM »
I am pretty sure that is not what I meant. :lol :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1655 on: October 08, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »

That was my first thought when I heard that.  It grew on my a bit so I dont mind it.  I also think his solo sound is a little off putting on that song but not that big of a deal overall. 

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1656 on: October 08, 2014, 03:27:31 PM »
If by "kind of a shame" you mean, "turned it into a total awesomefest," then I wholeheartedly agree.

This. It's a live show. I say doing things slightly differently is encouraged!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: October 08, 2014, 06:14:59 PM »
Sad, but true. However, in a song like The Mirror, it's just kind of tasteless, since that is normally a song without any kind of real solo, and it should have been left that way.  The jam at the end that leads into Lie is so freaking awesome, and turning it into a wank fast, while expected at this point, it still kind of a shame.  I still enjoy the hell out of The Mirror on there cause the rest of it is so awesome, but that unnecessary solo does make me wince.

I agree with every word of this actually.  The Mirror and Lie are probably still my fav part of the DVD, but I love that riff and when Jordan started doing his bullshit solo over the top, I was deflated.  Absolutely no need for it whatsoever.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #1658 on: October 08, 2014, 08:25:47 PM »
My dvd only just arrived today, and I haven't gotten to watch much yet (just The Mirror/Lie and Scarred).  I'm thrilled a Mirror/Lie performance has been officially released.  I did not like the graphics over Scarred however; I'm hoping the rest of the concert is clear of those sort of "distractions".  The venue looks really awesome; I love old theaters, they have character that modern venues lack.

I have a major gripe with the disc tray in the case.  It didn't want to let me remove Disc 2, and then I couldn't get it back into its tray.  It fits extremely tight, and I don't want to force it for fear of cracking the inner ring of the disc. 

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1659 on: October 08, 2014, 09:30:31 PM »
I have a major gripe with the disc tray in the case.  It didn't want to let me remove Disc 2, and then I couldn't get it back into its tray.  It fits extremely tight, and I don't want to force it for fear of cracking the inner ring of the disc.

Yeah, that's a fear that I have as well with the case.  I would have preferred it if the packaging spaced the discs a little more further from each other.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1660 on: October 08, 2014, 11:13:57 PM »
What's with the drawn out "I'll tryyyyyyy" on Lie???  Sounds like a whiny teenager.

Dat drum solo in E.M. tho  :metal  Genius.

Disagree with another BAI.  With all of those albums, something else should have been played. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:46:11 PM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

« Reply #1661 on: October 09, 2014, 05:47:07 AM »
What's with the drawn out "I'll tryyyyyyy" on Lie???  Sounds like a whiny teenager.

Well, the lyrics were written by KM, and he basically was a whiny teenager.  :lol

Seriously though, I thought it was cool.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1662 on: October 09, 2014, 06:07:40 AM »

Well, the lyrics were written by KM, and he basically was a whiny teenager.  :lol

Seriously though, I thought it was cool.

It's different, I noticed it, but thought there was nothing really wrong with it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1663 on: October 09, 2014, 06:10:58 AM »
  I really like James´ over the top "I´ll try...I swear I´ll tryyyy..oaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1664 on: October 09, 2014, 06:55:54 AM »

:lol Maybe he's just in character, like when he girlishly sings the "I'll  break free of the Miracle, it's time for him to goouuuuaaaaoooh" to channel Victoria. For some reason that line (beginning at "Feeling good this Friday afternoon...") is one of my all-time favorite JLB parts and I find myself singing it more often than anything else.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1665 on: October 09, 2014, 08:37:51 AM »

:lol Maybe he's just in character, like when he girlishly sings the "I'll  break free of the Miracle, it's time for him to goouuuuaaaaoooh" to channel Victoria. For some reason that line (beginning at "Feeling good this Friday afternoon...") is one of my all-time favorite JLB parts and I find myself singing it more often than anything else.

Seconded. I like the way he sings the line too. It's great!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1666 on: October 09, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »
The end of Finally Free was a letdown for me.  I was expecting some killer MM fills!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1667 on: October 09, 2014, 11:20:35 AM »
I don't remember if this was discussed before, but the cowbell in strange deja vu isn't there in the dvd.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: October 09, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »
It definitely is. I've watched it on the DVD.

However. I will double check when I get home and report back ! :P

Offline Virtualman64

« Reply #1669 on: October 09, 2014, 11:43:59 AM »
Thoght I'd share my thoughts,
I first watched it on my TV,and I have to say I was disappointed with the overall sound even after I made alot of tweaks.I rewatched it today on my pc with headphones on the pcm setting,and I was blown away for the most part.
Now a short review;
Act I:
I was a little disappointed with the mix .JL's vocals were too low,JP was too loud.They seemed to have made some adjustments in ActII though.Never cared much for Shattered Fortress or most of that album in general.the beginning of the song was a bit muddied to me.Couldn't make out most of the main riff.but it ended up translating pretty well.The rest of the first set was pure bliss.
ActII:
Like I said they seemed to have fixed the mix in this set.That being said Awake is probably my second least favorite album,but I think the songs came across great live.Did they do some improvisation during these songs?Not sure I don't know them all that well.Illumination Theory was killer in my opnion.
Encore:
SFAM is my favorite DT album so I was real pleased with this set.I wish they would play the entire peice next tour.I think the choir,and orchestra blended great,and actually added to the set.I've often said if Beetoven was alive today his music would sound like DT minus the vocals of course.
Final Thoughts:
Probably my favorite DT video yet.JL"s vocals were spot on.I like that JM is playing pedals!MM is a monster,and it seemed he was alot more comfortable this time out.JR,and JP were amazing as usual.As far as JR's Zen Riffer,Greg Guffria used to use something similar back in the 70'S. Anyone remember that?Anyway I love it!
Last thing.What's up with the damn taxi cab?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1670 on: October 09, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »

It´s a reference to the classic Joe Le Taxi, by Vanessa Paradis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulay2FvUEd8

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: October 09, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »
But of course :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1672 on: October 09, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »
It's because we're Along for the Ride... get it? They've been doing cheesy crap like that since 2005-2009 depending on the broadness of your definition.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1673 on: October 09, 2014, 01:12:33 PM »
How is the taxi cheesy?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #1674 on: October 09, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
Just bought the deluxe edition. Be good to have this on the 3 CDs. Surprised Amazon are not selling this version. Ordered it from DT store. Anyone else in the UK bought this? Just wondering how long I will need to wait before I receive it in the post.

« Reply #1675 on: October 09, 2014, 03:03:02 PM »
When I first saw the Taxi drive up to that house, I was like, "Is this the ending of Scenes From A Memory"?  :lol

Just bought the deluxe edition. Be good to have this on the 3 CDs. Surprised Amazon are not selling this version. Ordered it from DT store. Anyone else in the UK bought this? Just wondering how long I will need to wait before I receive it in the post.

I was gonna do that, but instead, I bought the regular blu-ray and the HD Tracks version of the album. And I still ended up saving money, given that the RR website was gonna charge me $15 for shipping.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1676 on: October 09, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »
I liked the Taxi scenes. I liked it all. Great show from the whole band and the symphony did great too.

Well done, Dream Theater.  :tup They will never see this, so why am I addressing them?

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #1677 on: October 09, 2014, 04:31:48 PM »
There are some moments in the album where JR is playing the exact same thing as the strings, and all I can think is "You really don't have to do that, Jordan." Sometimes the keyboards drown out the strings when they're playing the exact same thing. I'd rather have the real instruments, tbh, so that was a very small negative for me.

maybe it was that I set it to Dolby Audio but I could barely hear the orchestra/choir at all.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1678 on: October 09, 2014, 05:06:15 PM »
I was wondering whether Jordan was afraid that something might go wrong with the orchestra recording. If he didn't play anything, there might not be anything at all to put on the DVD.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #1679 on: October 09, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
I was wondering whether Jordan was afraid that something might go wrong with the orchestra recording. If he didn't play anything, there might not be anything at all to put on the DVD.

Doesn't mean they can't adjust the mix if everything went right.