Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 219852 times)

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
Re: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread
« Reply #1575 on: October 06, 2014, 04:44:44 AM »
Just bought the blu ray this week-end, and this is a FUCKIN' AWESOME SHOW!! :metal

Awesome performance from the band, awesome light-show, awesome quality picture and sound, awesome crowd, awesome orchestra and choird!!

This blu ray could top the list of all they have already released!!

There's only ONE thing wrong about this release : no real bonus material.
And why the hell didn't they put the so funny "interlude" film ? :corn

Anyway, I think that it's the best DT live video release since "Score", and in fact, "Breaking the fourth wall" is even better in my opinion.

Long live DT the best band on earth, in the universe and beyond. :yarr

(ps : the Boston Opera House is really a BEAUTIFUL theater!! :tup)
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1576 on: October 06, 2014, 04:51:06 AM »
And why the hell didn't they put the so funny "interlude" film ? :corn

It's probably to do with rights, since it's made up of other people's footage.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1577 on: October 06, 2014, 04:53:57 AM »
Blob, do you get any financial profit from the DVD? I mean with your animations. I don't know how these things work :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1578 on: October 06, 2014, 05:25:40 AM »
This DVD is fucking amazing.

Labrie just crushes.  His vocals match Score, actually I think they are better, much better.

The downside is the lack of bonus material and the need for 2 DVD's which is bullshit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #1579 on: October 06, 2014, 06:14:54 AM »
A very good reason for you to pass to BR!! :tup
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: October 06, 2014, 06:16:48 AM »

That is actually a decent reason.  It was annoying as the price was way more expensive than just a normal DVD for some reason.

Does anyone have any idea the reasoning behind the 2 DVD's?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1581 on: October 06, 2014, 06:17:37 AM »
Every time a new Dream Theater DVD comes out, people wonder if LaBrie will touch or surpass his performance on Score. Personally, I don't think it will ever happen, and it doesn't have to - LaBrie is awesome anyway. I'll be getting this very soon.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1582 on: October 06, 2014, 06:18:48 AM »
Every time a new Dream Theater DVD comes out, people wonder if LaBrie will touch or surpass his performance on Score. Personally, I don't think it will ever happen, and it doesn't have to - LaBrie is awesome anyway. I'll be getting this very soon.  :metal

I'll take him here over Score i think.  I'd probably need to watch both back to back though to properly decide.

I know this may have been discussed earlier, but does anyone have any idea how much of james' vocals were touched up or redone?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1583 on: October 06, 2014, 06:21:05 AM »

That is actually a decent reason.  It was annoying as the price was way more expensive than just a normal DVD for some reason.

I believe it has a PCM stereo track, which is uncompressed, which means it has better quality audio, but on the downside, it takes up more storage space. Score also had PCM stereo, and as a result the video quality suffered for fitting a nearly 3 hour concert on one disc. BFTW would likely have similarly suffered had they fit it all on one disc.
So it was done for the sake of maintaining both video and audio quality, with the compromise of splitting the show over two discs.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1584 on: October 06, 2014, 07:07:30 AM »
 Saw them live once again last night, in Rio. Horrible acoustics aside, they nailed it once again!!! LaBrie did a note-perfect show, even better than the shows I saw earlier this year. Itīs a shame that they changed the venue, and this one didnīt do the bandīs sound justice. I could barely hear LaBrie on the first song, and Jordan and Myung were a huge mass of sound for the best part of the concert.

Another great James snippet was "ok, weīre now looking forward, īcause thereīs no looking back...so this one is on the back...s of angels".  :facepalm: :loser:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1585 on: October 06, 2014, 07:11:51 AM »

I believe it has a PCM stereo track, which is uncompressed, which means it has better quality audio, but on the downside, it takes up more storage space. Score also had PCM stereo, and as a result the video quality suffered for fitting a nearly 3 hour concert on one disc. BTFW would likely have similarly suffered had they fit it all on one disc.
So it was done for the sake of maintaining both video and audio quality, with the compromise of splitting the show over two discs.

I don't mind having 2 DVDs unless I wanna watch the entire thing. Most of the time I just wanna watch a few songs worth and pick a DVD.

It sucks when you get movies on 2 discs though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: October 06, 2014, 07:13:57 AM »
Yea I really hated how the Audio tracks took away from the picture quality of Score and why I really want that on blu-ray.  It would make the whole concert better and its the main reason (second being setlist) why Score is not in my top three DT DVDs.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1587 on: October 06, 2014, 07:15:55 AM »
 Another thing I noticed yesterday is that they had an extended jam at the beginning of Trial of Tears which is not on the Blu-Ray version - I didnīt notice them doing that in the shows earlier this year. It was not just Petrucci doing the Xanadu thing, all four of them were jamming a cool Marillion-esque theme.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1588 on: October 06, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »
I'm only to the Shattered fortress and holy shit is mangini kill it

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1589 on: October 06, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »
Mangini made me dig the song. Before this release, The Shattered Fortress was only meh in my book but once I watched him play the shit out of the tune, it grew immensely.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1590 on: October 06, 2014, 09:27:37 AM »
I don't have the DVD available right now to cross-check, but they completely pulled JLB's talking at the end of TSF, didn't they? That's the one I was referring to when I said it was somewhat ... "effeminate".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1591 on: October 06, 2014, 09:30:18 AM »
Yeah, they dropped the whole "beautiful Opera House! We're shooting a DVD! Fine establishment...Berklee Music College!"

:lol
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1592 on: October 06, 2014, 09:31:31 AM »
They especially dropped the "... so they don't drop a crane on my head. Well, maybe they will if I screw up." :lol

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #1593 on: October 06, 2014, 09:53:12 AM »
listening it again …Oh…what an impression of Mike’s drumming and sound of kit on this record…amazing…

pity, that guitars and keys don’t reach that sound quality …

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1594 on: October 06, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »
That moment in TSF instrumental section where Mangini stands up. That's some bad ass energy right there.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1595 on: October 06, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »
I don't know if it is the superior drum sound, but Mangini sounds much more energetic here than he did in Luna Park.

Much more.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1596 on: October 06, 2014, 10:16:24 AM »
I don't know if it is the superior drum sound, but Mangini sounds much more energetic here than he did in Luna Park.

Much more.

Heīs much more comfortable in his seat, thatīs for sure.

Offline Progressive Metal Fusion

• JLB: "We're Dream Theater, we can't stop!"
« Reply #1597 on: October 06, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »
The two guys in front of the orchestra that are singing along with James the verse "When your back's against the wall" during IT, are just awesome :metal  :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1598 on: October 06, 2014, 12:39:04 PM »
I also love how the choir is subtly bouncing along to all those heavy grooves in IT's verses.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1599 on: October 06, 2014, 12:43:24 PM »
Anyone else see the bald guy pretending to conduct on The Embracing Circle?  :lol
Dear bald guy, if you are a DTF member, I'm sorry, it was just funny.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #1600 on: October 06, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »
I also love how the choir is subtly bouncing along to all those heavy grooves in IT's verses.
Heh yeah, that was amusing to see. I'll have to look for the conductor guy  :D

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1601 on: October 06, 2014, 12:56:30 PM »
The two guys in front of the orchestra that are singing along with James the verse "When your back's against the wall" during IT, are just awesome :metal  :lol

Good points.  Love that too.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1602 on: October 06, 2014, 02:13:16 PM »
Mangini made me dig the song. Before this release, The Shattered Fortress was only meh in my book but once I watched him play the shit out of the tune, it grew immensely.

Yeah....I never really cared for TSF all too much....just thought it was a re-hash mish mash but man does it come across great live! It's a whole different song live IMO...
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1603 on: October 06, 2014, 02:40:23 PM »

Yeah....I never really cared for TSF all too much....just thought it was a re-hash mish mash but man does it come across great live! It's a whole different song live IMO...

So true. I appreciate it a lot more now too!

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1604 on: October 06, 2014, 02:49:21 PM »

Also I think it works really well because it's kinda like a medley of the whole suite. That maybe in the record is a let down, but live it's enjoyable IMO.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1605 on: October 06, 2014, 03:18:17 PM »

I'll take him here over Score i think.  I'd probably need to watch both back to back though to properly decide.

I know this may have been discussed earlier, but does anyone have any idea how much of james' vocals were touched up or redone?

I think on Score James was being too "careful".  They were still only two years removed from their discussion over the lack of quality performances so I think he just tried real hard to hit the notes.  With that said, I think it sacrificed alot of the emotion in his voice. 

With BTFW, it is the best of both worlds.  He sounds fucking amazing but he isn't afraid to improv a little bit and he also isn't concerned with making all of the notes exactly like they are on the album  a lot of room for his character to come through on his performance.  For that, BTFW is a perfect JLB performance. 

[/quote]

I agree completely!!!  Never cared for it too much but now....

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1606 on: October 06, 2014, 03:20:52 PM »

I think on Score James was being too "careful".  They were still only two years removed from their discussion over the lack of quality performances so I think he just tried real hard to hit the notes.  With that said, I think it sacrificed alot of the emotion in his voice. 

With BTFW, it is the best of both worlds.  He sounds fucking amazing but he isn't afraid to improv a little bit and he also isn't concerned with making all of the notes exactly like they are on the album  a lot of room for his character to come through on his performance.  For that, BTFW is a perfect JLB performance. 

How on earth is that an answer to wolfking's question? :lol

To answer the original question, his voice broke during the high part in IT, so they definitely dubbed that part. Also, he's off-pitch in sections on the bootleg, they pitch-shifted those parts.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1607 on: October 06, 2014, 03:49:27 PM »
Oh yeah? Well, I liked The Shattered Fortress before it was cool!  :millahhhh
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: October 06, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »

To answer the original question, his voice broke during the high part in IT, so they definitely dubbed that part. Also, he's off-pitch in sections on the bootleg, they pitch-shifted those parts.

Thanks rumbo.  Yeah, the end of IT was made me ask the question.  There is one line that you can clearly tell is overdubbed.  I couldn't really see any other significant instances though.

I believe it has a PCM stereo track, which is uncompressed, which means it has better quality audio, but on the downside, it takes up more storage space. Score also had PCM stereo, and as a result the video quality suffered for fitting a nearly 3 hour concert on one disc. BFTW would likely have similarly suffered had they fit it all on one disc.

Makes sense, thanks Blob.  At least we got this bad boy on the release date this time.  :metal

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1609 on: October 06, 2014, 04:19:52 PM »

Holy shit, I had the full intention of answering that and got the quotes fucked up and left one out :lol

But yeah, I was going to say that general consensus is that James's vocals were touched relatively minorly.  Some say pitch correction was used in a few places and others cant tell the difference (me being one of them)

So anyway, my original comment was supposed to be in response to whether James had a better performance on Score or BTFW