Author Topic: MP new interview "the 12 SS is completely my concept and my baby..."  (Read 48417 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: MP new interview "the 12 SS is completely my concept and my baby..."
« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
That LTE quote reminds me of the childish "3 DT members responded to my email, 2 didn't" tweet :facepalm: I got the impression he was referring to JP, but who knows... JP has said he's been exchanging emails with MP occasionally, but I think the scars left by the split probably haven't healed enough to make him want to work with MP yet. On the other hand, it might be that JP simply wants to concentrate on DT and use the spare time to work on his solo album.

I don't think this has been brought up with regard to this (and I don't want to stir the pot too much, but I think this is relevant and interesting enough to at least be worthy of brief discussion), but I think it's worth mentioning since this I think is the first clear indication we've had that things aren't okay between MP and JP: I don't remember the scenario and information surrounding that tweet—I wasn't around at the time—but is there any possibility that JP was not one of the three? I mean, I know it was assumed that the three were JP, JR and MM, but is it possible that this assumption was false and it was JR, MM and either JLB or JMX?
It was around the time DT got their first Grammy nomination, and MP said he congratulated them. I'm pretty sure James and JMX were the ones who didn't reply (can't blame them). It seems that JP is ok with being in contact with MP, but it's not like they're friends again. I wish MP would've simply said "I emailed them congratulating on the Grammy nomination" instead of playing the victim card again...

I remember somewhere either MP or JP or both confirmed that they had emailed a few times, so did JR, and MM like has been said, always mentions him and Mike are friends (though i wouldn't doubt if it is kind of a one sided friendship now).

Both JLB and JM not only seem to have bad blood (and i don't blame them in the slightest) but they also seem the least active with technology.  JLB goes through spurts where he is active on twitter but otherwise those two are also the most elusive during DTs time off.  The combination of all of that pretty much confirms in my mind that those two were the ones that didn't email back.  Of course, like ? said, MP could have just said he emailed the guys and left it at that, but that doesn't fit the narrative of him being a straight shooter even though if he was really a straight shooter, he would have given us all of the details of who exactly the other two were.  This way, though, he gets to be more passive aggressive.  Classic. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »
As much as he prides himself on telling it like it is, it is still astonishing to me that someone as old as him and who has been in the public eye as long as he has, still doesn't understand that some things, no matter how true they might be, are better left unsaid. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #247 on: June 12, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »
As much as he prides himself on telling it like it is, it is still astonishing to me that someone as old as him and who has been in the public eye as long as he has, still doesn't understand that some things, no matter how true they might be, are better left unsaid.

...or that telling half the story isn't really telling it like it is. 

Offline olddtfan51@gmail.com

« Reply #248 on: June 12, 2014, 12:25:42 PM »
I cant help but feel when Portnoy refers to Dream Theater as his baby his band. That he makes JP and JM feel as if they where nothing more than side men in Mike Portnoy's Dream Theater. :yeahright :tdwn

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #249 on: June 12, 2014, 12:42:37 PM »
Both JLB and JM not only seem to have bad blood (and i don't blame them in the slightest)
Exactly. Did MP really expect a reply from them after he had liked some anti-JLB comments on his FB page and complained about JMX not spending time with the rest of the band in interviews? ::)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »
Both JLB and JM not only seem to have bad blood (and i don't blame them in the slightest)
Exactly. Did MP really expect a reply from them after he had liked some anti-JLB comments on his FB page and complained about JMX not spending time with the rest of the band in interviews? ::)

Oh c'mon, he apologized to James for believing the out of context headline from Blabbermouth.net....which is the same as not apologizing to James. 

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2014, 05:39:01 PM »
I cant help but feel when Portnoy refers to Dream Theater as his baby his band. That he makes JP and JM feel as if they where nothing more than side men in Mike Portnoy's Dream Theater. :yeahright :tdwn

I agree. I bet that is where a lot of the soured feelings stem from too.

*Baseless speculation*
I could see MP in the final "verbal fight" with the guys on leaving/them taking a break saying something along the lines of "I got this band to where it is, it's what it is because of me!" I could then see JP saying "Oh, really? OK, I'll show you otherwise!"
*End baseless speculation*

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #252 on: June 12, 2014, 06:19:19 PM »

I agree. I bet that is where a lot of the soured feelings stem from too.

*Baseless speculation*
I could see MP in the final "verbal fight" with the guys on leaving/them taking a break saying something along the lines of "I got this band to where it is, it's what it is because of me!" I could then see JP saying "Oh, really? OK, I'll show you otherwise!"
*End baseless speculation*

Yeah, I HIGHLY doubt anything like that was ever said or even implied.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #253 on: June 13, 2014, 12:53:42 AM »

BABIES HAVE MULTIPLE PARENTS! :lol

This thread is why we can't have nice things.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #254 on: June 13, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »

BABIES HAVE MULTIPLE PARENTS! :lol

This thread is why we can't have nice things.

Dream Theater is a test tube baby. 

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #255 on: June 13, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
Well, this thread has hit mysterious waters... Lol
I feel like MP was really the heart of the band. DT sound has changed a big deal since MP left.
My deduction is that he really had the composition process in his hands.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #256 on: June 13, 2014, 04:39:20 PM »
Except for the fact that he didn't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #257 on: June 13, 2014, 04:51:40 PM »
I feel like MP was really the heart of the band. DT sound has changed a big deal since MP left.

DT would sound like Adrenaline Mob at this point if MP was still in the band.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #258 on: June 13, 2014, 05:16:23 PM »

This. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #259 on: June 13, 2014, 05:31:36 PM »

This.

Composition? Not so much.
Arrangement? Definitely so.

And MP knew how to arrange music. His lack or inability to properly compose music like the rest of the band (and any members of any band he's been a part of) is really diminished by his ability to take music, whether its on a song-level or on an album-level, and arrange it strategically. As a man who LOVES music, LOVES albums, he really does know how to craft albums with great track orders (I can't really hear how Transatlantic's Bridge Across Forever would sound good in any other order) and create songs with exciting arrangements.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 425

« Reply #260 on: June 13, 2014, 05:58:36 PM »
I just want to register my agreement with everything The Letter M said and my appreciation for Mike Portnoy in general.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #261 on: June 13, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »

I would agree that he had a decent impact on their sound, but "heart and soul"  seems very exaggerated. Their sound tends to change with the release of every album,  and I would say the difference between TOT and 8VM, and maybe even SC is just as drastic as ADTOE and DT12.
if SC, BCASL and Portnoy's side projects are an example of where that heart and soul were taking DT,  I don't want it. The band's last 2 albums sound more energized and inspired than SC and BCASL... in my opinion
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #262 on: June 13, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »

I cannot imagine why you would deduce that, since there are no facts to back it up. ???

I would agree that he had a decent impact on their sound, but "heart and soul"  seems very exaggerated. Their sound tends to change with the release of every album,  and I would say the difference between TOT and 8VM, and maybe even SC is just as drastic as ADTOE and DT12.
if SC, BCASL and Portnoy's side projects are an example of where that heart and soul were taking DT,  I don't want it. The band's last 2 albums sound more energized and inspired than SC and BCASL... in my opinion

See, now that I cannot agree with.  It's true that DT usually throws some twists and turns at us, but pretty much every album has DT's signature sound, which is undeniably them. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #263 on: June 13, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »
I don't think the sound/quality of the last two DT albums have as much to do with Mike as they do with John. I agree that the last two albums are slightly better than the two before them, but it's not because MP is gone, but more because MP being gone has given Johnny P something to prove as a songwriter! Maybe he was feeling a bit complacent on Black Clouds.

Just my theory anyway.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #264 on: June 13, 2014, 07:33:11 PM »

I cannot imagine why you would deduce that, since there are no facts to back it up. ???

Their sound tends to change with the release of every album

See, now that I cannot agree with.  It's true that DT usually throws some twists and turns at us, but pretty much every album has DT's signature sound, which is undeniably them.

Well yes, the core sound is the same. They are still Dream Theater. I didn't mean they went from bluegrass to Crunk-core,  just that there have always been twists and turns.

I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2014, 08:39:51 PM »

This.

Composition? Not so much.
Arrangement? Definitely so.

And MP knew how to arrange music. His lack or inability to properly compose music like the rest of the band (and any members of any band he's been a part of) is really diminished by his ability to take music, whether its on a song-level or on an album-level, and arrange it strategically. As a man who LOVES music, LOVES albums, he really does know how to craft albums with great track orders (I can't really hear how Transatlantic's Bridge Across Forever would sound good in any other order) and create songs with exciting arrangements.

-Marc.

I think his position of "arranger" is way overstated.  Yes, he had a big hand in arranging but no I don't think he did any more than JP in that category.  In fact, I think he probably did significantly less than JP.  Still, he undeniably had a heavy hand in a lot of the ideas and concepts.  Certainly more so than JLB or JM.  When it cam to music, JP was clearly the leader with heavy input from JR.  When it came to arrangements, JP was clearly the leader with heavy input from MP. 

Offline Cable

« Reply #266 on: June 13, 2014, 09:20:35 PM »
We cannot forgot he wrote the vocal melodies for basically what sounds like all songs he did lyrics for. So that gives him at least 10-15 songs of having a decent role. And of course the concepts/ideas, and maybe some arrangements as everyone else has been mentioning. As the band jammed on stuff instrumentally, MP would suggest trying a riff more often than this, or that. This is clear from watching studio stuff.

But progression wise MP had less input than JM or JR would have had is my guess, and of course nothing like JP. And that really is what makes songs appealing. I doubt MP was saying 'ok, during this section, lets do a B>G>D progression.' Sure, MP created probably the vast majority of the foundation of songs. But is a house a house with a foundation only?

Which is why MP comparing himself to Roger Waters as he frequently does is so far off. RW wrote basically all of The Wall, on top of many other songs... solely. RW probably did the lion's share of the progressions, and melodies. MP I'm guessing cannot claim the progressions part at all. So I find that comparison not fitting at all.

MP should aptly compare himself to Lars Ulrich, which is basically right on the money. Lars co-writes basically all the stuff, but I doubt Lars is suggesting chord changes; Hetfield does. Lars also was the main engine of that machine for a long time with legwork outside of the music, as was MP.

Until MP steps out like Phil Collins or Nick D'Virgilio, and actually writes a majority of a solo album, he will be Lars to me of the Prog world.
---

Offline Grizz

« Reply #267 on: June 13, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
...except for the negative connotations to Lars's talent, attitude, ego, taste in equipment, and how Lars was never amidst a dispute with Metallica over copyrights...
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Cable

« Reply #268 on: June 13, 2014, 10:11:34 PM »
...except for the negative connotations to Lars's talent, attitude, ego, taste in equipment, and how Lars was never amidst a dispute with Metallica over copyrights...

I disagree. How often have people mentioned that since MP leaving him not being as good as MM? Missing parts at times, not practicing like everyone else. Clearly MP is beyond Lars. It wasn't meant to be a tic for tac verbatim comparison. Many people are more talented than Roger Waters too, and in some people's opinions MP very well could be better at his instrument than RW.

MP has an ego, like everyone else. Not as big as Lars, but why are we talking about this right now? Because MP felt like number 1 in the band.

Taste in equipment? Lars uses the same drums last time I knew!

Wouldn't this go down the same way if Lars were to leave Metallica though? Every single song that I can remember said Hetfield/Ulrich, with a combination of someone else occasionally.
---

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #269 on: June 13, 2014, 10:25:58 PM »
Dream Theater is a test tube baby.
I'm tempted to sig this :lol :clap:

Offline BlueRoseOrchestra

« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »
the jamming sessions from the drummer auditions gave alot of insights to their songwriting process, especially Take This for the Pain documentary. it is obvious that the 4 guys can easily handle everything w/o Portnoy. my theory is that the band credited songwriting as a whole due to the share of each individual instrumental compositions. obviously the guitars and riffs and chord progressions composed majority of the music along with keyboard, bass and drums. as i agree Petrucci is behind the bigger portion of the composition but he still has limited knowledge of the complex rhythms and drum patterns compared to a real drummer.  if its some other mediocre music i'm sure most guitar players or musicians that doesnt play drums is able to handle. but with music as complex as Dream Theater it requires a real professional drummer with advance knowledge of complex drumming in order to fill the inputs for the drum parts. and thats what Petrucci stated in the drummer auditions that they need a drummer to understand what is going on musically instead of just excel at drum performance.

as far as for the concepts i think it was still Petrucci taking the bigger part. i recall from an interview where he mentioned he always has been intrigued by the diseases of the mind. Scenes and Six Degrees were both psychological concepts. in the Systematic Chaos documentary, it was mostly him discussing about the darker concepts being the most easiest subject matter to dive into. he wanted the music to be "minor and not happy". the lyrics of the two epic songs in Black Clouds, Nightmare and Count of Tuscany were written by him of his personal experiences.

in production and arrangement they probably had an equal share or possibly larger input from Portnoy. but Petrucci handled it himself very well for the last 2 albums which leads me to think either he worked up himself really good or he actually still had the greater input over Portnoy in those areas.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #271 on: June 14, 2014, 05:30:50 AM »

But progression wise MP had less input than JM or JR would have had is my guess, and of course nothing like JP. And that really is what makes songs appealing. I doubt MP was saying 'ok, during this section, lets do a B>G>D progression.' Sure, MP created probably the vast majority of the foundation of songs. But is a house a house with a foundation only?

Well, I'm thinking as a drummer. I am a drummer. He probably wouldn't suggest a B>G>D progression, but he would say: "Let's slow it down in this part... Let's put some more wildness in this part here and I'm gonna use the double bass... No, I didn't like that riff, why don't you break it down and let's try something more jazzy... Add a funk vibe there... This song is too long, let's end it right here..." etc. etc.
I would bet he did it all a lot!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: June 17, 2014, 02:08:39 AM »
I'm going back to pg 1 or 2.  I sure hope the speculation of ACOS hitting a setlist in the near future is correct.  I think I've seen DT a dozen times now since 2001, and have never seen ACOS in it's entirety.  Fingers are crossed!

Offline lithium112

« Reply #273 on: June 17, 2014, 11:09:23 AM »
It's always been assumed in these discussions that MP didn't and/or wasn't able to write any of the music, and was exclusively responsible for drums and arrangements. Have we ever had any confirmation of this from the band? I mean, he did go to Berklee and so he must have had compositional skills. And based on the Systematic Chaos documentary we know that he contributed to vocal melodies and harmonies. Was there some interview where any of the members specifically talked about this or are people just speculating?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #274 on: June 17, 2014, 11:20:35 AM »
It's always been assumed in these discussions that MP didn't and/or wasn't able to write any of the music, and was exclusively responsible for drums and arrangements. Have we ever had any confirmation of this from the band? I mean, he did go to Berklee and so he must have had compositional skills. And based on the Systematic Chaos documentary we know that he contributed to vocal melodies and harmonies. Was there some interview where any of the members specifically talked about this or are people just speculating?
I can guarantee that MP does contribute to the actual writing - how much he contributed, I don't know, but it's safe to assume that it was less than JP and JR. He was the one that came up with the main riff in ARoP, and I recall him saying that he came up with the opening drum pattern in UaGM that I think influenced the writing of the song. Also, while it was credited to the band, NM was only written musically by DS, JM and MP. While it's possible that all MP did was arrange NM, and that DS and JM wrote all the actual music parts, it's unlikely. I'm sure that there are many other instances of MP actually contributing musical ideas that have not been identified, altho it's pretty established that they are far less than what JP and JR do.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #275 on: June 18, 2014, 08:25:44 AM »
I have no doubt that he contributed actual composition, as opposed to merely arrangement.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #276 on: June 18, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
The thing about ACOS is that they have so much epic/long songs now... They seem to have their "the more recent, the better the epic" mentality on since...well, forever; and that probably means they do not have plans of playing that any time soon. It's probably far more likely that we're going to see Octavarium (no problems here, favorite DT song), ITPOE or Illumination Theory live before ACOS. Oh, how I wish to be proved wrong... I would absolutely love to see ACOS live nowadays.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #277 on: June 18, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »
Out of curiosity, I take it the "main riff" of AROP is to mean the one under the verse? That one strikes me as something a drummer would come up with (I quite like it). The other stuff I think you have to have the instrument in your hands to come up with (e.g. the opening bass line).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #278 on: June 18, 2014, 08:45:32 PM »
I hope MP and JLB hold hands into the sunset one day

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #279 on: June 18, 2014, 10:22:28 PM »
Out of curiosity, I take it the "main riff" of AROP is to mean the one under the verse? That one strikes me as something a drummer would come up with (I quite like it). The other stuff I think you have to have the instrument in your hands to come up with (e.g. the opening bass line).

I believe he came up with that opening riff, ie. the bass line one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.