Author Topic: MP new interview "the 12 SS is completely my concept and my baby..."  (Read 48079 times)

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-weighs-in-on-queensryche-settlement-calls-it-the-right-outcome/

What about the fans MP that followed you and DT throughout this suite? Did you think of htem before making such a statement? However... your thoughts?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

It seems the majority is on autopilot on the anti-Portnoy campaign here on the forum. I´m not one of them. He´s just stating his opinion about QR´s situation, and I do agree he should have made a point of them not being able to perform certain songs which were his idea 100%. I do believe the Octavarium concept was his from start to finish as well?

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

It was his idea to do the 12SS, but the AA steps were created by AA, not MP. I don't see him saying he wants the rights to the 12SS now, he just says he sort of wishes he would have, and that he understands why Geoff wanted the rights to Operation Mindcrime. Although at least when DT plays 12SS songs, they sound good, unlike ACoS cover attempts he does with other people. (ACoS is kind of about him too, but still).
I don't think he should have the sole rights to it, but he can play it whever he wants if he decides and finds some band members that are capable.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

It seems the majority is on autopilot on the anti-Portnoy campaign here on the forum. I´m not one of them. He´s just stating his opinion about QR´s situation, and I do agree he should have made a point of them not being able to perform certain songs which were his idea 100%. I do believe the Octavarium concept was his from start to finish as well?

The whole theme of the full circle, 5 and 8 was his idea IIRC, but the album would be just fine without that theme connecting 8VM to the rest of the songs on it. That's just a cool addition, it's not like PA or SS would have suffered too much without those themes. I'm not on the anti-Portnoy campaign, but I think he and the band have both moved on at this point (I hope), and going back through legal processes and interfering with each other's careers and ability to perform songs would be stupid. He wasn't kicked out, he left. not to mention he still plays DT stuff occasionally.

Offline 425

I don't see anything wrong with what Mike said, given the context. And honestly I get why he wouldn't want them to do the whole thing without him. He must know they're playing The Shattered Fortress now and played The Root of All Evil on the ADTOE tour, right? If he does, it's pretty clear cut that he objects to playing the entire thing, not just one or two of the songs. Besides, I don't think Dream Theater is really itching to play the entire 12SS right now, are they?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

I don't see anything wrong with what Mike said, given the context. And honestly I get why he wouldn't want them to do the whole thing without him.

I think you're right about this. He even said "If Dream Theater was to go out there and perform my five-song concept thing..." It seems to be them playing through the whole story he created is what would bother him, not individual songs.

Online mikeyd23

I don't think MP really said anything wrong here, but didn't he forfeit the right to the songs when he quit the band?

Offline son_ov_hades

I think the idea of a band not being legally allowed their songs is ridiculous. Pink Floyd should be able to play The Wall, Queensryche should be able to play Operation: Mindcrime and Dream Theater should be able to play the 12 Step Suite. One the other hand I believe that Roger Waters, Geoff Tate, and Mike Portnoy should play whatever they want from the time they were in their previous bands as well.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

I think the idea of a band not being legally allowed their songs is ridiculous. Pink Floyd should be able to play The Wall, Queensryche should be able to play Operation: Mindcrime and Dream Theater should be able to play the 12 Step Suite. One the other hand I believe that Roger Waters, Geoff Tate, and Mike Portnoy should play whatever they want from the time they were in their previous bands as well.

I think they all should be ABLE to, but playing the 12SS (altogether, not individual songs) should just be left alone out of respect, not because of legal bindings.

I think they should be able to play all their material as well, they wrote and played it with the band, and released it under the band name.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I'm pretty sure they're not going to play the thing in full, so it's sort of a moot point.

Offline son_ov_hades

Re: MP new interview "the 12 SS is completely my concept and my baby..."
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 08:06:11 AM »

I think they all should be ABLE to, but playing the 12SS (altogether, not individual songs) should just be left alone out of respect, not because of legal bindings.

I think they should be able to play all their material as well, they wrote and played it with the band, and released it under the band name.

Well I highly doubt they'd play the whole thing anyway, which is good. I don't want them to but not out of respect for Mike Portnoy, I just hope to never see This Dying Soul live.  :P
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 08:06:41 AM »
I agree with most of what has been said so far. I don't see that DT would want to play the 12SS in one go at this point, for the very reasons that MP feels so close to it, but they're DT songs, so DT should be free to play them if they chose to. I'd like to hear MP get to perform the full suite one day too, because it works surprisingly better than expected in one go.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 08:09:45 AM »
I understand MP's view and I agree that DT shouldn't play the suite in full, but I doubt they were ever going to do that anyway.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 08:36:09 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with the stance he took here, although I don't buy his "I didn't think about it" line about getting the rights to the 12SS.  We are supposed to believe that someone as OCD, anal and detail-oriented as Mike Portnoy simply didn't think about trying to get the rights to "his concept and his baby" during the split?  No freaking way.  I just think his pride won't let him admit that quitting the band the way he did probably took away most of his leverage when it came to such demands.

Also, regarding the comments about Floyd, no way did Roger Waters get the last laugh.  Pink Floyd is retired, so it's not like they couldn't decide to tour tomorrow, even without Richard Wright, and not make more money that any of us could count.  They simply have chosen not to work since the mid 90s, except for the Live 8 one-off.  I mean, props to Waters for making boatloads of cash the last few years by being a nostalgia act, something Floyd never resorted to being, but let's have some perspective here, eh?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 08:44:31 AM »
I understand MP's view and I agree that DT shouldn't play the suite in full, but I doubt they were ever going to do that anyway.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 08:55:36 AM »
Roger Waters has sole songwriting credits on almost the entire Wall album.

12 Step Suite was written by the whole band.

I don't really see how these are analagous.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with what Mike said, given the context. And honestly I get why he wouldn't want them to do the whole thing without him. He must know they're playing The Shattered Fortress now and played The Root of All Evil on the ADTOE tour, right? If he does, it's pretty clear cut that he objects to playing the entire thing, not just one or two of the songs. Besides, I don't think Dream Theater is really itching to play the entire 12SS right now, are they?
Fully agreed. Although the individual songs in the 12SS weren't written solely by MP, he thought of the concept and wrote all the lyrics. He probably did a shitload of arranging too and might have thought of the recurring musical themes. I understand that he wouldn't like DT to perform the whole 12SS from beginning to end.

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 09:50:34 AM »
Well I highly doubt they'd play the whole thing anyway, which is good. I don't want them to but not out of respect for Mike Portnoy, I just hope to never see This Dying Soul live.  :P

I'd actually love to see it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 09:51:49 AM »
Roger Waters has sole songwriting credits on almost the entire Wall album.

12 Step Suite was written by the whole band.

I don't really see how these are analagous.

I think that's also why the band would never cease control over it. I think at best MP could have gotten the rights of playing the whole thing in its entirety. Which is kinda moot anyway because a) DT likely has no interest in playing it anyway and b) he already has the ability to play whatever DT tune he wants, right?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
I'd be more interested to know if he insisted on having sole rights to play The Best of Times.  Not that he ever would, as I think I remember him saying it would be too emotional for him to ever play live, but I am sure he'd rather the band never play that song without him.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »
This is why we won't ever see ACOS live ever again...unless they invite MP for a special show.

Sensationalism at its best. But I'm not interested in the MP debate thing, I'm more interested in his view and thoughts.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »
I think that's also why the band would never cease control over it. I think at best MP could have gotten the rights of playing the whole thing in its entirety. Which is kinda moot anyway because a) DT likely has no interest in playing it anyway and b) he already has the ability to play whatever DT tune he wants, right?

MP doesn't need special rights to play the 12SS.  He can play any DT song whenever he wants (e.g. all the PSMS DT covers).  He could see about getting exclusive rights to play the 12SS, though I don't know how he could do that.  No song on a DT album was ever written by MP alone; I don't know how a judge would deem his contributions to those songs more important that they trounce all the other instrumentalists' contributions.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 12:16:24 PM »
MP doesn't need special rights to play the 12SS.  He can play any DT song whenever he wants (e.g. all the PSMS DT covers).  He could see about getting exclusive rights to play the 12SS, though I don't know how he could do that.  No song on a DT album was ever written by MP alone; I don't know how a judge would deem his contributions to those songs more important that they trounce all the other instrumentalists' contributions.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the music is credited to all the instrumentalists and the lyrics are credited to MP for pretty much every song in the 12SS.  So while the idea for the lyrical concepts was his, it would be hard to make a case that the other guys didn't have a right to play the songs if they wanted to.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »
Well I totes get MP, this is a stance he's had consistently for years in relation to which songs wouldn't be performed because they are distinctly "someone's baby" so it's not like he's changing his stance now that he's out of the band, or that the criteria to what constitutes as "a band member's baby" have changed.

Personally, I'd like DT to take the hint and not perform any more of the 12 step songs in the future, nor The Best Of Times. It's one thing when an ex-member of the band has repeatedly stated that he hasn't got any personal connection with the song which is "his baby" (the Kevin/SDV situation), and when you know your ex-drummer is kind of not okay with that or wishes that he had the exclusive right to do it. It's not expressly forbidden but it's kinda unnecessary. But I'm not a DT member thank God.

I'd kinda like to see someone asking Kevin about DT playing SDV now, but only because I'd hope for an answer more interesting than "well it's a Dream Theater song on a Dream Theater album". Dunno what exact interesting but plausible response it could be... maybe "I saw a video and it looks cool, good on them".

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »
The problem is that TGP is a fan favourite

:(
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 12:39:40 PM »
To me, if the band recorded the song and put it on one of their albums, it should be fair game to play it live.  I get not playing something like The Best of Times out of respect, given what the song means to their ex-drummer, but if the song is that personal, then maybe it shouldn't have been released in the first place.  Once it's out there, well, it's out there. :lol :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 12:44:58 PM »
Yeah, but then you can also say that the 12-step-suite is equally as personal to Mike, because he said he is. I mean we could get into debates over whether or not death is more personal than recovery (and it wouldn't be the weirdest thing debated on dtf dot com :lol) but ultimately we just have to wait and see whether the band plays it again and how Mike feels about it and vice versa. Obviously DT dudes think everything is fair game, maybe their attitude will change, maybe not.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 12:47:50 PM »
To me, if the band recorded the song and put it on one of their albums, it should be fair game to play it live.  I get not playing something like The Best of Times out of respect, given what the song means to their ex-drummer, but if the song is that personal, then maybe it shouldn't have been released in the first place.  Once it's out there, well, it's out there. :lol :lol

Yeah I agree with that.  I don't understand the "DT shouldn't play these songs that are meaningful to MP" perspective really.  They were released as DT songs and MP quit DT.  Therefore, DT can continue to play whatever DT songs they would like, whenever they would like regardless of whether MP may or may not have an emotional tie to the lyrics of those songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
Well, the band has played two of the five 12SS songs thus far since his departure, and considering they've only had two tours since, I think that shows that they have no problem playing those songs.  I doubt they'll ever play the whole thing straight through (Thank GOD!!), but I think most of the songs from it are ones they'll always consider (I see Repentance being the one they'll never play, for obvious reasons).

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »
(I see Repentance being the one they'll never play, for obvious reasons).

I'd agree it's the least likely song for them to play, but why is it obvious that they'd never play it?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
The apology section would be strange live without all of the recorded apologies, and playing them live now would be even stranger since most of those who participated are buddies with Portnoy (Neal Morse, Akerfeldt, Chris Jericho, etc.).   I can't see them getting on board with playing the latter half of that song now.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 01:58:24 PM »
Also, who would say the "the truth is the truth...." part. That's a very MP-ish thing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 02:01:56 PM »
MP has played Repentance with Flying Colors (without the second half, I think?) and the song is obviously more important to him, so I can't see DT bothering to do it.

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 02:10:30 PM »
MP has played Repentance with Flying Colors (without the second half, I think?) and the song is obviously more important to him, so I can't see DT bothering to do it.

DT and Mikael Akerfeldt have played it together too... I thought it was an interesting song choice to play as a collaboration.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »
I believe Jordan has said that "nothing" is off limits.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol