Author Topic: Tinnitus ! Who's Got It & How Bad ?  (Read 621 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tinnitus ! Who's Got It & How Bad ?
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
Hi Guys !

I've had tinnitus since 1997. Only mine is not very bad. In absolute silence it sounds like the wind rustling some bushes outside my window...

I've heard it can take on many forms like rushing water or a constant note or white noise.

Who has really bad tinnitus which can be heard over every day noise and how did you deal with it / do deal with it ?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Tinnitus ! Who's Got It & How Bad ?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
Not diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I have it mildly. It's usually a higher frequency, which every once and awhile will spike up and becomes loud for a few seconds. Other than that it's just kinda like really low background noise.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »
I've had mine since I was 17 or something. No official reason was ever established (I have a slightly displaced neck vertebra, that might be it), and I've also gotten used to it over the years. It's a quite high-pitched noise, but I only hear it when it's quiet around me. Interestingly, it does not bother me when I go to bed.
It gets worse with sleep deprivation, that's the single thing I know that affects it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:59:34 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
I hear a bit of a ringing when it's very, very quiet, but it's almost never quiet enough for me to hear it :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 05:03:31 PM »
I panic a lot and am very claustrophobic so I wouldn't know what to do If I had a very audible constant note that could be heard when out and about or doing day to day stuff.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 05:18:09 PM »
Yeah, mine is a very high frequency, and I've determined it to generally be an Eb of a very high octave. I have had it for at least a few years.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »
I panic a lot and am very claustrophobic so I wouldn't know what to do If I had a very audible constant note that could be heard when out and about or doing day to day stuff.

If you had it to the level that seemingly most of us here have it, you wouldn't panic. All it is is that it is annoying occasionally.
That said, some people have it bad. And for those it can drive them into suicide.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Arry

• Only the good die young...
  • There is only one Um...
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 05:47:10 PM »
I have it. Prob from my early teens onward, there is a noticeable ringing when ever it's very quiet... It's worse after a show, or loud earbuds. But since I've not had regular band practices in a while, it's gotten less noticeable. And for some reason, it's louder when I'm stoned.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 08:48:35 AM »
I've had it since I was 18, but I never notice it anymore.  After most concerts, it will be louder for maybe a day or so, but it is almost never distractingly annoying otherwise.  I mean, if I think about it, I'll notice it, but I am so used to it that I rarely do.  And my hearing is still good (I had it checked a few years ago after a particularly loud concert - Judas Priest - made my ears slightly ache for a few days). 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 09:04:35 AM »
The guitarist of my old band had it so bad he couldn't hear himself play lead while the rest of us were playing.  Ironically, our band was called Tenitus (spelling deliberate).  I have it mildly, occasional high pitched tones in my ears.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
I have it, but it's very mild. I can only hear it when it's pretty quiet and it's really high pitched.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 11:30:03 AM »
I've had mine officially 15 years.
We met just before that, but really she only became that nagging pestering noise always in my ear for about the last 15 years or so.
I've delt with it by shutting the fuck up, throwing money at it, and generally becoming spineless.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 12:51:50 PM »
I have it, but it's strange, because it comes from time to time, not there all the time.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »
I had to look it up, but every so often I get a prolonged high pitched "ring".

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 09:51:04 PM »
I've got it due to hearing loss. Multiple tones. One high and one lower. I can't hear cymbals in music most the time amongst other issues due to my hearing. Bleh.