Author Topic: A question for grammar geeks  (Read 666 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
A question for grammar geeks
« on: May 12, 2014, 12:30:45 PM »
I am writing an email to my boss requesting 2 vacation days.  One for my graduation and one for my sister's.

This sounds wrong:

I will be taking two vacation days for my and my sister's graduation ceremonies.

This sounds better:

I will be taking two vacation days for mine and my sister's graduation ceremonies.

However, I wouldn't say:

...mine graduation ceremony...

Generally, the rule I have seen is that each form of the subject pronoun should work on their own, thus:

...my ceremony...
and
...my sister's ceremony...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: A question for grammar geeks
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:40:49 PM »
"I will be taking two vacation days; one for my sister's graduation and one for my own."

Separate the events to clarify and also avoid the awkwardness of trying to match the possessives.  Drop the word "ceremonies" as it adds bulk and he'll know what you mean anyway.  And regardless of when they fall chronologically, ladies first, plus it allows for a bit of concision.

That's my suggestion.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »
I decided to omit the explanation altogether, but it was a grammar problem that was bugging me.  I agree it is cleaner your way, but I was wondering if there was a correct way using the format I used.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
I hate that problem too. Orbert is right except replace the semicolon with a dash. I try to avoid those situations as well.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 01:41:11 PM »
Crap, you're right.  The semicolon is wrong.  I had originally rephrased it differently, but never changed out the semicolon when I arrived at the final form.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »

Generally, the rule I have seen is that each form of the subject pronoun should work on their own, thus:
This is correct and your ill-sounding approach was correct, although what you posted to us was far better.

Not sure why the semicolon is incorrect in Orbert's example, though. It was two related independent clauses. Since they could have formed two separate sentences, bringing them together that was is fine. Is it because the subject is implied rather than implicit?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »
I can't offer any grammatical advice, but I agree that you don't need to offer this information to your boss. It's none of his business why you want time off.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 03:22:43 PM »
Exactly.  "I'm taking 2 days off.  Deal with it."
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 03:24:18 PM »
Not sure why the semicolon is incorrect in Orbert's example, though. It was two related independent clauses. Since they could have formed two separate sentences, bringing them together that was is fine. Is it because the subject is implied rather than implicit?

My understanding is that the semicolon is used to join two clauses which could also stand on their own as fully form sentences.  For example: "Her breath was bad; it was like rotting garbage."

My original rewrite had that structure, but as it stands now, "one for my sister's graduation and one for my own" could not stand as an independent sentence.  It merely provides additional detail for the main sentence.  The rules are less clear on this, but I'm tempted to agree with Implode and use a dash, which actually has no single defined purpose.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »
Or just send the email after you come back. "Was out for two days." That'll teach him.

Regarding the grammar question, that is actually one of the drawbacks of English's grammar simplicity. It tends to underspecify relationships between parts of the sentence, and once you have more than one subject, things get ambiguous. People always bitch about German's grammar, but these kinds of problems arise far less.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 03:47:12 PM »

My understanding is that the semicolon is used to join two clauses which could also stand on their own as fully form sentences.  For example: "Her breath was bad; it was like rotting garbage."
That's my understanding, as well. I'm just thinking that the verb (I mistakenly said subject earlier) is implied, which makes it a verbless clause and capable of standing on its own. It would be awkward, and thus best avoided, but I wouldn't worry too much about the semicolon.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 04:12:14 PM »
I'm a big proponent of the use of the semicolon. Perfect way of tying two related sentences to each other.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 04:46:58 PM »
I am as well, but people often use it improperly; they are dumb.  I'm annoyed that I'm now in that club.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 05:16:49 PM »
I; use semicolons; frequently.

;
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 05:36:48 PM »
^^^ That's actually how you officially transcribe Shatner performances.