Author Topic: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread  (Read 193848 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread
« Reply #490 on: October 29, 2020, 07:18:25 PM »
I tend to marathon Rhapsody's discog every year anyway so even if nobody cares I'll have something to read in '21  :lol

EDIT: on second thought maybe not. I already covered all the early ones in my top 50 thread from last year and I could give a lot of info on how they were influenced and other trivia but idk. I could just link them and start with Triumph or Agony. But I might just do a different band entirely
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:39:48 PM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #491 on: October 30, 2020, 07:31:10 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #492 on: November 05, 2020, 08:33:46 AM »
Hey Jingle, you can update the OP.  The Jethro Tull Discography is (finally!) done.  We're just lingering in the bloody aftermath at this point.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #493 on: November 05, 2020, 08:45:15 AM »
Hey Jingle, you can update the OP.  The Jethro Tull Discography is (finally!) done.  We're just lingering in the bloody aftermath at this point.

Roger that, Heavy Horse.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: November 08, 2020, 03:29:02 AM »
Just looked at the OP for the first time and wondered why I haven't seen or been following Ruslan's Arjen one.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: November 08, 2020, 04:26:09 AM »
Well I have no idea, we had listening parties and stuff. It was fun!

I still have ~50 days to get back to it according to Chad too. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: November 08, 2020, 04:29:01 AM »
Plenty of time to catch up then.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: November 08, 2020, 06:07:20 AM »
Well I have no idea, we had listening parties and stuff. It was fun!

I still have ~50 days to get back to it according to Chad too. :lol

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: November 08, 2020, 06:38:01 AM »
I have one vacation day in December, that's when I plan to do it. :P
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #499 on: November 14, 2020, 12:59:41 PM »
I'm planning on starting the AC/DC album discussion/listening party thread later on tonight. 

Still not sure if I'm going to have the pre-album days as its own discussion, or just include it as a prologue for High Voltage '75.   There is some interesting beginnings.   Even a TV appearance with a different lead singer before Bon Scott joined.   But I'll ponder over it and make up my mind later.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: November 14, 2020, 01:01:21 PM »
Oh man!!! Another one I’d definitely want to follow, but will invariably fall behind.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #501 on: November 14, 2020, 01:23:23 PM »
Bands I would do a discography thread for if there's any interest:

Gateway
The Tangent
Phish

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #502 on: November 14, 2020, 03:16:34 PM »
I would follow Phish (good luck, brave soul!) but I don't know the other two, so I guess that makes them each a Maybe.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #503 on: November 15, 2020, 04:02:48 AM »
I would follow Phish (good luck, brave soul!) but I don't know the other two, so I guess that makes them each a Maybe.

Phish currently has 17 traditional studio albums, 2 traditional live albums, 3 live-only albums of original material, two non-official studio albums, and of course, the band has released dozens and dozens of other full show live releases, sound check jams, secret sets, every one of their shows from the last 19 years is officially released on the band's websites, and recordings in various quality of roughly 90% of all the shows they played from the 80s and 90s easily circulate for free to download online.

Considering they are known as a live band, and since many of their songs can only be found in live performances, I thought about going through the studio albums, with a corresponding live album/show every few releases that best represents the time period, but also includes as many live-only compositions as possible. I wouldn't start that until we got up to the band's first official live album, which was released after the band's 5th album. I would find it interesting as I haven't listened to the band's studio efforts in many years.

The Tangent are similar in some ways to The Flower Kings, proggy, hard, heavy riffs, mixed with loud synths but they have a jazzier edge and British vocals, not unlike Canterbury scene like The Soft Machine or Caravan.

Gateway was the jazz trio band of John Abercrombie, Dave Holland, and Jack DeJohnette. Technically they have only 4 albums, but the trio appears on 3 other albums so that beefs it up to 7 albums. So that wouldn't be the longest discography thread.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 04:10:23 AM by darkshade »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #504 on: November 15, 2020, 07:03:09 AM »
Gateway was the jazz trio band of John Abercrombie, Dave Holland, and Jack DeJohnette.

I'm in.  I have some jazz, and consider myself slightly above novice level, though always looking to gain some points.  I'm kinda proud of myself for recognizing all three of those names.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #505 on: December 28, 2020, 03:59:30 PM »
Chad, you can put the UFO Discography And Listening Party down as Completed. :(
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: December 28, 2020, 04:15:19 PM »

That was a beastly thread.... which I'm still working thru, and will resurrect it at some point in the coming weeks and months.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: December 28, 2020, 04:23:53 PM »

I do not accept this.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #508 on: April 16, 2021, 01:55:43 PM »
So I'm thinking about listening through a bunch of albums I haven't listened to in a bit, and I thought I'd get DTF in on it.

Basically, I'll do a "duel" discography thread: a Mike Portnoy discography thread that merges with a Neal Morse discography thread. So no post-Neal Spock's Beard, or post-Portnoy Dream Theater. Also not trying to go through every album Portnoy has ever played on, just sticking to Dream Theater related studio albums and Neal Morse related studio material, and only prog-related albums for Neal.

Chronologically going back and forth (based on release date) between:

* Dream Theater's first 3 albums
* 1990s DT, Liquid Tension Experiment (including the 2 Trio albums), Neal era Spock's Beard + his first solo album
* 2000s DT, Neal solo, and Transatlantic
* 2010s NM solo, The Neal Morse Band, Flying Colors
* 2020s Transatlantic, JP solo, and LTE3

Who's down?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: August 02, 2021, 06:09:10 PM »
I'd be down for that. There is so much of Mike's work I haven't listened to outside of DT that I think it'd be fun to explore.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: August 19, 2021, 08:26:22 AM »
I've always wanted to do one of these threads but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in the bands that I think I'm qualified to write about.

Would anyone be interested in a dredg, incubus, or Kaki King discog thread?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #511 on: August 20, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »
I've always wanted to do one of these threads but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in the bands that I think I'm qualified to write about.

Would anyone be interested in a dredg, incubus, or Kaki King discog thread?

All I know is I've heard of this artist "Kaki King" twice in one day after never having heard of him/her before. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: August 20, 2021, 11:21:56 AM »
She is a very talented guitar player that does a lot of solo acoustic stuff (similar to Preston Reed's music), she also dabbled in some post-rock music as well. If you've listened to the Foo Fighters song "The Ballad of the Beaconsfield miners" she is playing on there; she also did a couple of songs for August Rush (those are her hands that are playing in the acoustic scene). Here are a couple of good songs that represents a large chunk of her work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo2mLu306w0 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U_prRNXG4w

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #513 on: February 16, 2022, 08:43:53 AM »
DragonAttack is currently doing the QUEEN discography.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #514 on: October 26, 2022, 09:56:46 AM »
Hopefully people will notice this thread has been bumped.  Lethean and I are interested in co-hosting a Katatonia discussion thread.  I've never done or even read one before, so I'll have to glance at a few to get the gist of things, but it sounds like it's an album a week, which would be a good 2-3 month immersion in Katatonia, which I'm sure fans of theirs would enjoy, and in a few other threads there were a few people who indicated that they were curious about them, so this might be a way to dive in headfirst. 

As to my qualifications, I've been listening to them for over two decades, they're arguably my favorite band, I've seen them live, and I've heard all of their material, including EPs and B-sides, the meat of it countless times so I know it fairly well.  Lethean hopefully will pipe in at some point, and I'll see if this thread gets many responses.  If not, he or I can just start a new dedicated thread for it and see what interest it receives. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #515 on: October 26, 2022, 10:52:18 AM »
I have been listening for less time than LithoJazzoSphere, but around 13 years total and ten years of obsession.  I've also seen them live and have all of the studio albums, b-sides, EP material (mostly as part of album rereleases or compilations), and live albums/dvds. 

This would be a lot of fun for me to do, hopefully existing fans would enjoy participating and maybe some new listeners can come along for the ride.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #516 on: October 26, 2022, 04:26:07 PM »
I thought Lethean had sent me their entire discography in my roulettes already, but I'd follow.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #517 on: October 26, 2022, 05:22:26 PM »
I thought Lethean had sent me their entire discography in my roulettes already, but I'd follow.

:lol

Offline billboy73

« Reply #518 on: October 27, 2022, 08:32:15 AM »
I would definitely be interested in a Katatonia discussion thread.  I love all of their output, and the diversity in their catalog should lead to some good discussion.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #519 on: October 27, 2022, 10:29:57 AM »
I'd be up for listening along with this. They are a band that I probably would really enjoy/love but the little I've heard never really connected. I liked that one from a few years ago, with the bird on it  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #520 on: October 27, 2022, 01:51:15 PM »
So between this thread and the normal Katatonia chat thread we have so far have Kwyjibo, nick_z, TAC, twosuitsluke, and The Realm interested in listening along.  Hopefully more to come, but already is probably enough interest to give this a whirl.  With the discography split, Lethean would be up to bat first for Dance of December Souls.  How soon do we want to start the first week of listening? 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 05:16:22 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #521 on: October 27, 2022, 04:34:29 PM »
So between this thread and the normal Katatonia chat thread we have so far have Kwyjibo, nick_z, twosuitsluke, and The Realm interested in listening along.   

I'm in. Are you guys going to dive into some background of the band, personal changes if any? Live stuff? Like, I would like to learn something about the band while doing this.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #522 on: October 27, 2022, 05:00:09 PM »
I certainly plan to.  I'll probably even touch on the EPs, rarities and such, though they probably won't be part of the "required" listening.  I'll probably touch on some of their side projects and such as well. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #523 on: October 27, 2022, 05:04:38 PM »
I certainly plan to.  I'll probably even touch on the EPs, rarities and such, though they probably won't be part of the "required" listening.  I'll probably touch on some of their side projects and such as well.

Awesome! :tup

Offline Lethean

« Reply #524 on: October 27, 2022, 06:06:02 PM »
I will as well.

I was thinking we time it to end by January 20th when Sky Void of Stars is released, and everyone who's been following can listen to the new album.  With 11 studio albums, we should be able to take a couple weeks off as well if needed for holidays and stuff.

I'll try to start Monday if I can, but it might be a little later than that.

Technical question - how do I post album covers? (Or any pictures really) :)