Author Topic: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread  (Read 193855 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Discography Discussion thread
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 09:18:35 PM »
I wouldn't mind doing a U2 one eventually, but I am not sure how high the interest would be for that one.

I'd be all over U2, but to tell you the truth, I'd be more interested in you doing Kansas.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »
The problem there is I am not familiar at all with the inner workings of the band and whatnot, so I wouldn't be able to offer any inside information, so to speak.  Not saying I wouldn't do it, but just saying, it'd be pretty vanilla.  And I am not familiar with much of the 80s stuff, outside of Audi-Visions and a few songs from the other albums.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 11:09:52 PM »
It might not be everyone's bag, but you could do what I did: augment your own knowledge of the band by doing some research prior to each installment.  I learned a lot about each of the bands for which I did discographies that way.  Even just hitting Wikipedia, AMG, and the band's website often yielded a lot of good information.  I'd mull it over for a day or two, then synthesize some kind of writeup.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 12:23:42 PM »
I mentioned in one of the FK threads about people doing this discography thing for other bands, and the one I was hoping for was Spock's Beard. I see that's in the "future" list, so I shall definitely be following that one with interest when/should it happen.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 01:47:42 PM »
Blue Öyster Cult could be a decent discography thread too. I know that Kev certainly has a great deal of knowledge of their output (not to volunteer him, but  :biggrin:) People are often surprised at the breadth of their music and the history of contributors/producers is quite fascinating. Just a thought
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2014, 08:36:26 AM »
I'm along, I love these things.  Not sure I could really "lead" one as good as the ones already done for any band other than DT, but I love reading them.

Well, maybe the Allman Brothers Band, but that seems outside the norm of listening habits around here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2014, 09:03:55 PM »
I was considering doing an Anathema discography thread, but I don't know anything about their doom/death albums.
I like all Anathema albums, so I can do it if nobody else volunteers.
You can write about the doom albums and I can do the rest from Alternative 4 to Weather Systems or Distant Satellites.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2014, 11:17:19 PM »
I was considering doing an Anathema discography thread, but I don't know anything about their doom/death albums.
You can write about the doom albums and I can do the rest from Alternative 4 to Weather Systems or Distant Satellites.
I don't know if two people can run the same discography thread, but I'd be ok with that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2014, 05:55:00 AM »
We can do anything we want to do.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2014, 10:03:34 AM »
I don't know if two people can run the same discography thread, but I'd be ok with that.

Sure... Why not. Anything to foster musical discussion and discovery.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »
Hey jingle.boy

If there's no objection, and enough interest, I'd like to do the discography for Blue Öyster Cult. Within the next month I expect to have a great deal of time on my hands so regular updates shouldn't be a problem for me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2014, 12:05:01 PM »
Good band, looking forward to it.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2014, 12:15:01 PM »
Awesome. I'll definitely be following that and contributing big time. :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »
I had Some Enchanted evening, Fire Of Unknown Origin, and ET Live  as a kid, but never really followed them 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2014, 01:36:38 PM »
I'd love to do a Devin Townsend one, but that fucker has a ton of albums, even more if we include his time with Strapping Young Lad. I know way more about Devin's work than I should, so I'm not worried about making it interesting to follow.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2014, 02:02:42 PM »
I had Some Enchanted evening, Fire Of Unknown Origin, and ET Live  as a kid, but never really followed them

Knowing your taste in rock that surprises me a bit. Well, maybe you'd find something to like during the discussion. Interested?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2014, 03:18:57 PM »
I'd love to do a Devin Townsend one, but that fucker has a ton of albums, even more if we include his time with Strapping Young Lad. I know way more about Devin's work than I should, so I'm not worried about making it interesting to follow.

I thought about doing a Devin one, but I figured You'd want him. Plus, I know like a fraction of what you know about him. Sefinitely following though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2014, 03:24:16 PM »

Knowing your taste in rock that surprises me a bit.
Yeah, right? I know.

I'll definitely follow the discussion.

From that time period, I just gravitated to UFO, Thin Lizzy, Aerosmith, Kiss.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »

Yeah, right? I know.

I feel the same. I feel like I should like BOC more than I do. Following the discog might change that maybe. I do love the Marshall Plan track from Cultosaurus.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2014, 04:00:17 PM »

Yeah, right? I know.

I feel the same. I feel like I should like BOC more than I do. Following the discog might change that maybe. I do love the Marshall Plan track from Cultosaurus.

:tup

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
Hell, sign me up for Devin Townsend and various assorted projects based on whichever ones I feel like covering (I'll try to keep it under 20). My one request is that someone let me jump up several slots so I can do it over the summer rather than have to worry about it during school.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2014, 04:36:44 PM »

Just got the box set!  Can't wait to dive in to BOC again!  I just saw them a few weeks ago!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »

I think it would make the most sense to feature his albums he has done primarily as a solo artist (whether it was called Devin Townsend, Devin Townsend Band or Devin Townsend Project).  Strapping Young Lad is a whole other animal and shouldn't be included, IMO.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »

I think it would make the most sense to feature his albums he has done primarily as a solo artist (whether it was called Devin Townsend, Devin Townsend Band or Devin Townsend Project).  Strapping Young Lad is a whole other animal and shouldn't be included, IMO.
I feel like all of the SYL albums are counterparts to whatever he was doing as a solo artist at the time (Heavy = Punky Bruster, City = Ocean Machine, SYL = Accelerated Evolution, Alien = Synchestra, and The New Black kind of sits on its own), but you're probably right. There's just way too much shit. By my count, there's the 6 DTP albums (if we're counting Casualties), and 7 solo albums, so 13 really isn't all that bad.So, I'm willing to start whenever, but I'd really really like it if I could jump ahead in the line to at least first or second so I have a fighting chance of getting it done over the summer. If not, that's cool too but I might have to back out if shit gets too hectic.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2014, 07:08:29 PM »
I think including the SYL albums would be pretty neat. But if it's too much work, don't bother.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »
I think including the SYL albums would be pretty neat. But if it's too much work, don't bother.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'd absolutely love to, but that would bring it up to 18 albums and that's kind of crazy.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2014, 09:28:41 PM »
I'm a Fripp newbie, and right now there's nothing I want more than a King Crimson thread. I would go to sllep at night dreaming of the next one.

Also...and understand it would be daunting...but also INCREDIBLY popular... Uncle Frank himself. The only problem would be that you may have to assign decades to people...and that would suck.

We should just have Wey and Debra hold a "Zappa Class"....we could start with "Understanding the mighty Zappa 101...in which there is heresy."  Think you guys would be up to teaching a class? Maybe Debra could do Zappa while Rai does The Dead. It would all make a BIG HUGE BOWL OF AWESOME SAUCE.   :coolio :hat :xbones :yarr
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2014, 10:33:52 PM »
At this point, I think priority is whoever is ready. As I mentioned, I won't be able to anytime soon.  I have no opposition to a few of these running at the same time - as we do for roulette's and top 50s. So, someone get this thing going.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2014, 08:14:58 PM »
Just say the word and I'll fire it up tomorrow.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »
Word.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2014, 11:06:51 AM »
I'll do the Rush one, but I'll probably wait till sometime this summer to start it.  That way, we don't have too many starting at once.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »
I'm gonna be ready to start the Pink Floyd one either today or tomorrow, though I can hang back a bit so we're not all starting at once.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2014, 11:21:37 AM »
I think it should be fine to start Floyd immediately as well.  Assuming the Devin one is up and going here soon, too, that'd be three, and since they all come from different styles - Devin is metal, Floyd is psychedelic/prog, and B.O.C. is rock/hard rock - it's a good mixture of ones running at the same time.  Thats my two cents.  :coolio

I'm curious to see how you start off the Floyd one, since Piper is their first disc, but they had a bunch of singles that pre-dated the first album, which I'd like to see addressed and discussed.  Time will tell. :)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2014, 12:44:29 PM »
Working on the Devin OP in 5 minutes.  :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »

I guess this shouldn't be a surprise by now, but I prefer Blue Oyster Cult's live stuff over the studio material. Just a fan of the live experience I suppose.