Author Topic: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread  (Read 193725 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread
« Reply #525 on: October 28, 2022, 01:20:44 PM »
Find the URL source of the image you want (something like right clicking and selecting "open image in new tab" might work).  Click "reply" to the bottom right of the last post for the full set of controls, click on the icon right under the B icon (for bold), which should say "insert image" if you hover the mouse over it.  Copy and paste the URL into the pop-up box and you should be good to go. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #526 on: October 28, 2022, 02:18:11 PM »
Testing:

OK, that's simple enough.  In the past I'd tried to somehow upload my own pictures but didn't need to enough to really try to figure out how.  But for album covers I can just use existing images.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #527 on: October 29, 2022, 11:17:15 AM »
And so it begins. :)  I was going to wait until Monday but that'll be a busy day for me, so why not now? :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #528 on: December 19, 2022, 08:37:06 AM »
Finally updated the OP to include Katatonia's.  I don't know if Darkshade is still around much to finish his - hasn't posted since May.  Evermind's now has a few Arjen to catch up on.  You gonna pick that one up again Ruslan?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #529 on: December 19, 2022, 07:32:32 PM »
Sometime next year (after I finish my roulette and my top 50 albums thread) I think I might want to do Nevermore.  I'll be looking for a co-host if possible, that has seemed to make the Katatonia one much easier. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: December 20, 2022, 01:10:59 PM »
Finally updated the OP to include Katatonia's.  I don't know if Darkshade is still around much to finish his - hasn't posted since May.  Evermind's now has a few Arjen to catch up on.  You gonna pick that one up again Ruslan?

Man, apparently I've been promising to get back to it for a while now. I should get my shit together, even though this year it's more difficult than ever to do it.

I wrote a long pretentious post saying how I'll get back to it and then deleted it. It's holidays here soon (from Dec 31st to Jan 8th). I'll get back to it around the holidays or right after them barring any IRL complications. I'll post an update here and in the thread in a couple of weeks.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: December 21, 2022, 10:27:43 AM »

Man, apparently I've been promising to get back to it for a while now. I should get my shit together, even though this year it's more difficult than ever to do it.

I wrote a long pretentious post saying how I'll get back to it and then deleted it. It's holidays here soon (from Dec 31st to Jan 8th). I'll get back to it around the holidays or right after them barring any IRL complications. I'll post an update here and in the thread in a couple of weeks.

:tup

No obligation... just fire it back up if you have the will and desire to do so.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: February 28, 2023, 08:10:47 AM »
So as two months of 2023 have already passed, here's the promised update: ~15 listens to The Source and three valiant attempts to do a write-up later, my heart isn't in it at all. I don't want to do a half-assed job, and I'd rather the thread didn't end up in "scuttled" section (after all, it was up to date at some point :) ), so if anyone's interested in picking the Ayreon thread up from The Source onward, go for it.

If not, I guess you can put it in "scuttled" for now, but then my conscience will probably nag at me enough so at some point I'll half-heartedly cobble something together for the next writeup.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #533 on: March 10, 2023, 09:39:11 PM »
Would anyone be interested in a redo of the Devin Townsend discography discussion thread? Ultimetalhead did one back in 2014-2016 covering most of his major releases up to Z2, seen here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41621.0

Ultimetalhead did a great job, but he left out a lot, and Dev's been busy since then. I'd love to do my own take on this starting from the beginning and covering EVERYTHING. And I do mean EVERYTHING.
I'm talking Grey Skies, Noisescapes, Strapping Young Lad, guest appearances, bonus discs, live albums, Contain Us. You name it.
I made a list of everything I'd like to cover and it's a whopping 62 releases. Not everything warrants its own post of course, and some stuff would be lumped together. For example: Epicloud/Epiclouder/The Retinal Circus would all be one post, all of the Quarantine-era stuff would be one post, etc.

It's a heavy undertaking I'm prepared to undertake, but obviously if there's no interest, then I won't waste my time.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #534 on: March 10, 2023, 10:22:54 PM »
I don't have time to listen along with every release, but I'm a fairly big fan of his, so I'd definitely read along and chime in here and there on the more major releases. 

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #535 on: March 11, 2023, 12:22:08 AM »
I'd definitely follow along. I will have heard the majority of those 62 releases, but there will be plenty I've never gotten to, out of the more obscure ones.

Bring it on!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: March 11, 2023, 09:21:49 AM »
I'll follow along! I don't think I'll listen to every release if there are 62 of them but I really enjoy the discography threads.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #537 on: March 11, 2023, 01:15:19 PM »
Would anyone be interested in a redo of the Devin Townsend discography discussion thread? Ultimetalhead did one back in 2014-2016 covering most of his major releases up to Z2, seen here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41621.0

Ultimetalhead did a great job, but he left out a lot, and Dev's been busy since then. I'd love to do my own take on this starting from the beginning and covering EVERYTHING. And I do mean EVERYTHING.
I'm talking Grey Skies, Noisescapes, Strapping Young Lad, guest appearances, bonus discs, live albums, Contain Us. You name it.
I made a list of everything I'd like to cover and it's a whopping 62 releases. Not everything warrants its own post of course, and some stuff would be lumped together. For example: Epicloud/Epiclouder/The Retinal Circus would all be one post, all of the Quarantine-era stuff would be one post, etc.

It's a heavy undertaking I'm prepared to undertake, but obviously if there's no interest, then I won't waste my time.

Devin Townsend's one of quite a lot of artists I've been meaning to listen to more of, so I'd be interested in reading and listening along!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: October 28, 2023, 07:33:08 AM »
Updates ...

Moved Devy v2 to completed
Moved Queen to completed
Darkshade hasn't logged in since Jun '22, so I scuttled his
Lethean/Litho... is Katatonia finished?
Evermind ... dude, are you going to carry on with the Source and subsequent other releases Arjen has had?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 07:44:57 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: October 28, 2023, 07:48:33 AM »
See my post above except scratch the last sentence I guess.

So as two months of 2023 have already passed, here's the promised update: ~15 listens to The Source and three valiant attempts to do a write-up later, my heart isn't in it at all. I don't want to do a half-assed job, and I'd rather the thread didn't end up in "scuttled" section (after all, it was up to date at some point :) ), so if anyone's interested in picking the Ayreon thread up from The Source onward, go for it.

If anyone wants to carry that torch, you guys go for it, if not, put it in scuttled for now.

Katatonia shouldn't be finished, there's still Sky Void of Stars.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: October 28, 2023, 07:56:14 AM »
See my post above except scratch the last sentence I guess.

If anyone wants to carry that torch, you guys go for it, if not, put it in scuttled for now.

Katatonia shouldn't be finished, there's still Sky Void of Stars.

Copy that.  Anyone brave enough to take on The Source, Transitus, and Star Three?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #541 on: November 08, 2023, 07:48:36 PM »
I am prepping the Enslaved Discography and Listening Party thread. I should be ready to start that pretty soon.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #542 on: November 08, 2023, 08:11:26 PM »
Definitely in.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #543 on: November 08, 2023, 10:28:45 PM »
Actually I could probably get the thread started tonight.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #544 on: November 08, 2023, 11:57:36 PM »
Ho boy!

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #545 on: November 09, 2023, 12:03:29 AM »
Ho boy!

And you should do a Coheed and Cambria one. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #546 on: November 09, 2023, 12:08:16 AM »
Ho boy!

And you should do a Coheed and Cambria one. :corn

I often think about it, but it's a big commitment. Also I feel I'd need to educate myself on certain parts of the bands history before doing it.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #547 on: November 09, 2023, 12:32:52 AM »
Enslaved thread is live! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #548 on: January 17, 2024, 06:07:30 PM »
The Katatonia thread is completed.  I'm sure Lethean and others will be chiming in over the new few days with various thoughts on the latest album, but the primary release posts are now done. 

I may send out feelers about the possibility of another artist(s) later in the year (maybe next year depending on how long things take and if I wind up running a second roulette later this year or not), but I have another big project to get through soon first. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 07:18:33 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #549 on: January 17, 2024, 06:41:51 PM »
The Katatonia thread is completed.

Thank God! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #550 on: January 17, 2024, 06:44:52 PM »
I should say not technically until you've listened to and commented on it.  :p  I'm particularly curious about your opinion on "Austerity" and "Birds", two of the faster and more high-energy songs they've ever done.  "Colossal Shade" is also partially inspired by KISS. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 06:59:40 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #551 on: January 17, 2024, 06:48:56 PM »
I'm particularly curious about your opinion on "Austerity" and "Birds, two of the faster and more high-energy songs they've ever done.

Let it go, dude. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #552 on: January 17, 2024, 06:53:37 PM »
I could have said the same thing about his completely gratuitous post.  ;)  But he liked "Behind the Blood" on the previous album more than the others for a similar reason, so I don't see why bringing attention to them hurts, it's the only time I've done so other than in the writeup itself. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #553 on: January 17, 2024, 07:30:35 PM »
I could have said the same thing about his completely gratuitous post.  ;)  But he liked "Behind the Blood" on the previous album more than the others for a similar reason, so I don't see why bringing attention to them hurts, it's the only time I've done so other than in the writeup itself.

It's all good. I'll give it a spin!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #554 on: January 17, 2024, 11:51:41 PM »
Litho, you'll be glad to know that on my re-rank of 2023 albums, the new Katatonia has shot up the rankings. It's now sat at #78!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #555 on: January 18, 2024, 07:00:37 AM »
Litho, you'll be glad to know that on my re-rank of 2023 albums, the new Katatonia has shot up the rankings. It's now sat at #78!

:facepalm:

You don't wanna know where King Gizz finished. 

:ontome:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #556 on: January 18, 2024, 08:08:20 AM »

:facepalm:

You don't wanna know where King Gizz finished. 

:ontome:

Which one we talking about?

Hey, that was a significant jump for Katatonia by the way :rollin

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #557 on: January 18, 2024, 10:29:22 AM »
Well, both, though PetroDragonic is a fair amount better. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #558 on: January 18, 2024, 10:58:42 AM »
Well, both, though PetroDragonic is a fair amount better.

This we can agree on.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #559 on: January 18, 2024, 11:53:42 AM »
I've never clicked on this thread before. I've seen the individual band stuff but never clicked here for some reason. So I go to the first post and see this:

Coming Soon (allegedly):

GentlemanofDread/Coheed & Cambria

So I think, "Hell year, lets do it". Only to see this was posted in 2015, and the person hasn't even been online since 2015  :lol

I would get started with Radiohead but I'm on a mandatory work placement that's just eating my life up. (I'd also like to do a Coheed and Cambria one in the future too)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk