Author Topic: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread  (Read 195451 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: The Discography Discussion Tracker Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »
Hey Jimmy, have you thought about doing Agalloch? I'm pretty sure there'd be quite a following, and their discography is not that small, but not impossibly large either.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2014, 07:41:33 AM »
I personally think like 10-15 albums is the sweet spot for being enough that a) the band has a following, b) there might be some albums not every fan knows, and c) isn't too onerous to lead/follow.  Anything more than 20 could get highly repetitive.  Rush is probably the only exception, and only get up to 20+ with all the live and DVD releases.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #212 on: September 09, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »
I agree, although I should mention that as I go through Rush's catalogue, I will only briefly feature the live albums.  In other words, while the studio albums will get 5-7 days for discussion and whatnot, the live albums I'll probably only give a day or two.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #213 on: September 09, 2014, 01:17:38 PM »
I agree, although I should mention that as I go through Rush's catalogue, I will only briefly feature the live albums.  In other words, while the studio albums will get 5-7 days for discussion and whatnot, the live albums I'll probably only give a day or two.
That's how I will approach Kansas, as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: September 09, 2014, 01:22:34 PM »
Live albums are more important with some band's history than other, i.e., BÖC and Rush but I completely agree. I prefered to just touch them lightly and move on.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2014, 07:36:24 PM »
I personally think like 10-15 albums is the sweet spot for being enough that a) the band has a following, b) there might be some albums not every fan knows, and c) isn't too onerous to lead/follow.  Anything more than 20 could get highly repetitive.  Rush is probably the only exception, and only get up to 20+ with all the live and DVD releases.
Yea I'm wondering how Zappa will go because of that. :lol I'm going to try and follow as much as I can, but there are some albums here and there that I'm not too familiar with/don't like enough to care. I imagine a lot of fans are the same way, so it'll be interesting to see how that will turn out.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #216 on: September 12, 2014, 06:40:21 AM »
Yeah, for Zappa I'm going to try my absolute damndest to comment on everything, even if it's as meager as "hate this one. move on", which would really only apply to Thing-Fish and some of the especially heady synclavier stuff.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #217 on: September 14, 2014, 06:29:29 AM »
Yeah, for Zappa I'm going to try my absolute damndest to comment on everything, even if it's as meager as "hate this one. move on", which would really only apply to Thing-Fish and some of the especially heady synclavier stuff.
Yea I'm wondering how Zappa will go because of that. :lol I'm going to try and follow as much as I can, but there are some albums here and there that I'm not too familiar with/don't like enough to care. I imagine a lot of fans are the same way, so it'll be interesting to see how that will turn out.

Oh you betcha that my write-ups won't be too long for every album either. I'll try my best to keep it somewhat short on the albums I love, and I'll have to try to write something interesting on albums I don't like. I'm already done with an introduction, and most of Freak Out, so I'm getting there. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all goes, I get the idea that a lot of people here are interested, so that's nice  :)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #218 on: September 16, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »
I'd love to lead an Ulver discussion, if there's enough people to follow it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2014, 11:33:44 PM »

Oh you betcha that my write-ups won't be too long for every album either. I'll try my best to keep it somewhat short on the albums I love, and I'll have to try to write something interesting on albums I don't like. I'm already done with an introduction, and most of Freak Out, so I'm getting there. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all goes, I get the idea that a lot of people here are interested, so that's nice  :)
In a weird way, I'm almost most excited for some of the lesser talked about albums. Stuff like Francesco Zappa, Man From Utopia, some of the posthumous albums. I love Overnite Sensation but we all know how great that album is already.  :biggrin: It'll be interesting to get discussion going on some underexposed stuff.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2014, 08:53:18 AM »
I have another band I'd like to do but I don't know if I should maybe wait until after my Radiohead one.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2014, 07:50:09 AM »
Is there going to be some method in place to archive these threads like song roulettes and top 50s? I don't necessarily want mine gone yet because I want to do a write up on Z2 by the end of the year, but it would really suck to lose it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
Should be easy enough.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2014, 11:42:40 AM »
The Symphony X thread is now finally done. I'd give it a few more days to wrap up any potential discussion on that one and then we can (finally!) move on to the next one.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »
The Symphony X thread is now finally done. I'd give it a few more days to wrap up any potential discussion on that one and then we can (finally!) move on to the next one.

Ditto on Zeppelin.  Who's ready to go now?

Marc?
Lucas?
Rich?

One of you stand up and be counted.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: November 27, 2014, 03:24:25 PM »
I haven't written anything yet, but if you give me a few days, and if there's enough following, I can start the Ulver discography thread this Monday. Won't complain if someone starts theirs sooner.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: November 27, 2014, 03:35:42 PM »
Ulver?  Thought you signed up for Anathema?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: November 27, 2014, 03:41:45 PM »
Yeah, but changed that since, at the moment I decided it was better not to do it, I wasn't too familiar with band's earlier stuff. And ? seems to know those albums way better than me. I'm a bit more familiar with them now, and wouldn't mind doing a two-person discography thread along with him, with both our opinions on all the albums, because he prefers their earlier stuff, and I'm a sucker for the later albums. I don't know, it could be interesting, and it would leave Ulver to another person.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2014, 05:25:20 AM »
I can start with the Pain of Salvation one later today, if that's wanted, but there's a couple of people in front of me still. Let me know!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2014, 10:26:29 AM »
ZAPPA COME ON LETS DO IT  :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2014, 11:48:14 AM »
Yeah, if the Zappa one gets going soon, it should be finished by 2020. :lol :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #231 on: November 29, 2014, 03:14:16 PM »
What about Letter M with something Morse related?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #232 on: November 29, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »
What about Letter M with something Morse related?

Well work will be a lot lighter for me in a couple of weeks, so I may start mine up around or after the 17th of December. I work at a university and the semester has been hectic, so once it's over, I can dedicate some time to reading up and writing some stuff for my planned Spock's Beard Discography thread.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #233 on: November 29, 2014, 03:23:50 PM »
 :tup

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2014, 05:22:36 AM »
Yeah, if the Zappa one gets going soon, it should be finished by 2020. :lol :lol :lol

The longer we wait, the more his wife will release anyway, so it'll take even longer if I wait longer  :lol
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2014, 10:28:28 PM »
Would anyone be interested in an IQ one? That's the only band I could do justice to...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2014, 10:35:05 PM »
Would anyone be interested in an IQ one? That's the only band I could do justice to...

I would! 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #237 on: December 05, 2014, 02:12:14 AM »
I recently ordered pretty much all their discography and haven't listened to the albums yet, so it'd be a cool way to get to know the band better - count me in!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #238 on: December 05, 2014, 03:33:05 AM »
You won't be disappointed!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: December 05, 2014, 05:22:44 AM »

Was wondering when the fuck you would offer.  I'd be all over this like a cougar on a wounded chicken.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #240 on: December 05, 2014, 08:29:37 AM »

Probably my favourite discovery of this year, so I would definitely follow this.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: December 05, 2014, 11:18:46 AM »
Someone gonna go???

Also, any mod that might be following this, can we (eventually) archive these so as they don't get inadvertently deleted?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: December 06, 2014, 10:28:35 AM »
With the roulette and some things that popped up recently, I can't do anything now. So if anyone else wants to go...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: December 06, 2014, 10:31:54 AM »

I would be all over it, too. Haven't spun their pre-Ever albums for quite a long time, so this will be quite helpful. And I might learn some new interesting things about the band too, so that should be great.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #244 on: December 06, 2014, 11:50:49 AM »
Someone gonna go???

Also, any mod that might be following this, can we (eventually) archive these so as they don't get inadvertently deleted?
Anyone can go. If no one jumps by the end of the week, I can start Kansas.

And the threads are safe, jingle.buddy.