Author Topic: Hannibal Lector's Couch - TV Series and Mythos Discussion *IT'S RAINING SPOILERS  (Read 14146 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
It will let you just skip to the end, and then you will see...

thanks for the link.....that is interesting for sure! WTF was she up to the whole time....was she conspiring with him? Or does Hannibal just have the ability to brainwash any and everyone? Pretty neat....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
The Truth is out there...

but in all seriousness, seeing the full ending felt much more satisfying and thought provoking vs. the clouds/credits business.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
This is quickly becoming my favorite TV series. Again, they surpassed my expectations in every way; I had my mouth agape towards the end... I thought I called it twice and then they threw it in my face, I loved every second; this is truly a beautiful show. I absolutely cannot wait till S3! I hope that this show has it's full reign after this, because it'd be an utter shame to stop now. So fucking awesome, these writers. They're taking the best of the books, twisting it, and expanding to fill it into one big cannibalistic universe. Love it.

The ones that didn't like it: did you just want to see another retelling of what we've already seen adapted (amazingly so) within the films? This show is not a faithful adaptation of the books. Nothing is meant to be a 'direct' adaptation. I thought that was made glaringly clear as this show was initially being made, even in previews. I mean...it's like complaining that The Walking Dead television series strays from the books; they're two completely different beasts. It's actually very much the same situation. Hannibal the series has used the groundwork from the novels, but the structure and end result is going to be completely different in the show.

Either way, if you don't like what they've created, that's one thing. But to complain that it's not faithful...that's kind of  :huh: I dunno, I love that they now have so much freedom on where to go with the characters and how to expand upon the overarching (and completely disjointed) Hannibal related stories told through the novels. I especially love what they did with Freddie. She's hot, but holy shit is she absolutely abhorrent and I cannot wait to see how they kill her off in the show. She's more revolting than what the novels paint, but she's great to look at...till she opens her mouth. Hell, now I can even see Hannibal Rising mythos weaved in without having to watch the mediocre movie again or read the absolutely horrid book (though it had its moments...some of which I'm hoping are adapted to the series).

But y'know, you like what you like. I friggin' love what they've created. Also yes, Bloom is a fucking putz. My GOD what a douche. GET ON THEIR LEVEL, ALANA.

This is a wonderful read for anyone who has any doubts about the series or where it's going, and is all together an awesome interview. Definitely, firebird and tv, if you have problems with what the show has done so far...you might wanna jump ship after reading this.  :lol

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:14:44 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
So I just finished my second viewing of S2 and solidified the show as my new favorite TV series. By far. What an absolute work of art this show is, I truly hope they can keep up the hard work for future seasons and maintain the level of detail and exposition. Little things that allude through imagery, all the little nuances of transitioning scenes by fusing them (in one of my favorites, Will "see's" Alana and Jack walking in a field through the empty windows of his cage), everything down to the timing of scenes and the music that goes with it is beautifully crafted.

It may or may not lead to anything, but there's an equally chilling and awesome transition of scenes when Will asks Jack, "Who does he have to kill for you to open your eyes?" and the next shot is of Alana, cooking with Hannibal; little stuff like that is so great to see now that we've seen the finale and all the carnage that goes with it. I really love that they're truly taking their own route with the show, all the while fitting in homages and nods to the books and movies while retaining (and improving upon, in my opinion) their essence and the core of the story of Hannibal.

I really hope the show picks up in viewers and people catch on to it, the people who make it happen really deserve to have their work applauded if you're into this type of show and/or are a fan of the movies at all. Being a reader of the books may either help greatly or kill it.  :lol I've read all the books and think that they're weaving the universe nicely; it'd be a real pleasure to see it all play out and Fuller gets to tell the full story, which sounds amazing if they can pull it off and hopefully ratings rise.

RIP DTP.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
I know nothing about the current ratings but I've heard that it was on Friday nights? That's absolute death for TV shows.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Luckily it's great enough to have the critical acclaim keep it alive basically, and has been renewed for S3. It's a trooper of a show, so hopefully it'll get moved to another spot; it'd be a true shame to see it go.

RIP DTP.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Luckily it's great enough to have the critical acclaim keep it alive basically, and has been renewed for S3. It's a trooper of a show, so hopefully it'll get moved to another spot; it'd be a true shame to see it go.

Everything I've read is that the Exec's at NBC love it, and that it has thier support. The Friday night slot is perfect for that show I think....the theme and creepiness of the show just wouldn't 'fit' early in the week IMO.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
I agree, though it is historically a pretty bad spot for a show, it's shown that it can work out quite well.  :tup

I love that I keep seeing new things each time I watch. I am really just making the wait unbearable for myself.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
So some awesome Hannibal news came out of Comicon! It's basically a final confirmation that while we're following a general layout of the books, it's going to be a fusion of the books' universe to make a more coherent, connected storyline; overall it's a newly woven story of all the book's characters, large plot points and character developments with material from the books/movies and new material connecting it all. I LOVE IT! This is precisely what I wanted, and I really hope Fuller's vision gets to play itself out without any hiccups; it sounds like he has a very specific vision and if there's someone to pick it up should NBC (and probably will before S5) drop it. Granted, we're not even on S3 yet so that's down the road.

It's AWESOME to hear that Dolarhyde is going to make an appearance this season. That is my absolute favorite roll from Fiennes, and he was a major obsession of mine when I originally saw the movie and it's what launched me getting into the Hannibal universe. So I really hope they get an actor that can portray the absolute evil that Dolarhyde is as well as Fiennes did. Also great news on the other characters, especially Murasaki, which is the biggest change-up so far, a Hannibal Rising character (who is completely badass)! I was hoping they'd weave Rising characters into the actual story instead of using flashbacks or references (like Hannibal mentioning his sister and uncle earlier in the series). This is totally awesome news.

All in all this show keeps on getting more interesting and it's great to hear that they've got specific plans for down the line already. I can't WAIT till this show returns!

RIP DTP.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
I saw the info that came from Comic Con. I also read an interview from the excs that as of yet, they do not have permission for the Clarice Starling character; but that they had ''alternate" plans for that if it didn't happen. What? They gonna make the character a black man named "Maurice Darling" or something? Without that character, I'm not sure how strong the show can become. Also the ever present "fugue-state" arc with Will is perilously close to jumping the shark with me. Hopefully having is guts splayed all over the floor will shake him the hell out of it, and we can move into some more of a faster pace. I still love the show; but there are a number of things going against it; and I fear the producers knowing this will muck it up. I mean this may very well be the last season. As I've mentioned in the TV thread, the suits at NBC apparently LOVE the show; but even they recognize it's NOT a network program; and if the ratings don't really, really spike, well...you know the rest. Fingers crossed.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Oh, I have no doubts it'll be dropped, more than likely this season; I'm also absolutely certain that it'll get picked up by someone else. It's too much of a critical hit, even if it doesn't have the viewer ratings, the amount of high-quality production and exposition is too grand to not have the show picked up. But yes, Clarice is more than likely not going to appear, I actually read that it's now been confirmed that MGM isn't going to budge. I really don't care about that aspect personally, anyone that knows the source material will know who she 'really' is and I don't need it spelled out for me. Obviously if I had it my way we'd have the whole original gang there, but the world is full of greedy shits so... It is what it is. But yeah, they were being facetious when saying they'll create a character named, as Fuller put it, Shmarlice Shmarling. I'm not sure where you got 'black man' from.  :lol They're not gonna change it up that much.

I am however fully expecting the character to be Clarice in every way except for her name; it'd be a good way to have it obvious to people who aren't that familiar with the source material, and still stick it to MGM saying 'We made it work, assholes'.  ;D I'm not holding my breath for anything to go through before the show starts up again. I'm confident that the team they have is smart and creative enough to make this whole thing work, and I have no issue with name changes. Hell, they've changed so much already that this is pretty much their game now, they're free to do what they want and if that means having to create basically a clone of Clarice with a different name, it wouldn't be all that different from what they've done so far.

It's disappointing but I saw this coming so I'm not that torn up about it. What do you mean when you say Will's fugue state? He's been mentally and psychologically in control the entire season. Anything resembling any type of mental disorder has been a ploy to (attempt to) play Hannibal.

RIP DTP.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
I didn't say that I heard they were going to create a character named "Maurice". That was my own interpretation of how they would develop the character. And a "black man" would be as far from Clarice (white woman) as you could get, no? And Will continuously falls off into a fugue-state wherein he disassociates with reality and suffers from moments of delirium (his constant struggle with visions, and dream states). Granted, not as present as when Hannibal hid his encephalitis, but still is used quite a lot. While it adds to the tension and allows the viewer to understand the depths of the madness both principal characters share, it appears to be the only device they use with any frequency. As much as this show kicks-ass, they could spread it around more. Then again, I create fiction every day; so I'm probably more critical than most. Still, I hope this show does carry on. I do have it on pretty good authority, that even NBC execs would allow the show to jump to Netflix, or another streaming venue without batting an eye. It's rare when a network loves a show so much that even if it means letting it go, they still want to see it succeed.  That just doesn't really happen in show bidness.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, they did it with Freddie... I just hope they wouldn't do it to such a beloved character; on the other hand it'd be interesting if they pulled it off as well as they did Freddie.

As for Will's mental state, I think that's a part of his character that will be around for a while, at least until a certain part of his story. But I can see how that'd kind of wane.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:43:32 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
GREAT interview and information on the show! (Despite the utter idiocy of IGN and the half-cocked reviewer and some questions)

I am just so furggin' excited to see that it's, very surprisingly so, being envisioned exactly as I hoped it would. This is a true dream come true for me and I really, REALLY hope that they not only continue to get support but that it grows so we can see this whole thing come to life. If they keep up the gravitas, the (and I love the use of words Fuller used) remixing and meshing of stories, this could end up being my favorite series by far and away, and already is one of my favorites. It'd be a true string of insane luck for all this to play out as described and in keeping with the magnitude of beauty and horror they've already wrought, but god damn I want to see this happen so badly and I have a slight hope it will.

MY BODY IS READY TO BE CHOPPED UP!

Ed: Don't wanna do three bumps in a row but here's another great interview, this time from Hannibal himself.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:13:21 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Trailer for season 3

https://www.nbc.com/hannibal

I am excite. June 4 can't come fast enough.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Didn't watch the trailer, after the absolutely amazing season 2 finale, I don't want to see a single second of what's to come before it's out. Super excited for season 3 though!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
TONIGHT!!!  :metal

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
Saw the season premiere tonight...  Meh it was okay I guess.  A two hour episode would have been nice.  It was a bit of a let down after waiting since the end of season two.  Looking forward to see this season unfold.....   Now I'm hungry.   ::)
Signature

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
For a show that struggles to get numbers and was on the verge of cancellation, they weren't doing themselves any favors with that episode.

As someone who is absolutely obsessed about the lector series, I found that premier to be slow, plodding and tedious.

still looking forward to the rest of the season though.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
I thought it was excellent. Not as action packed as the season 2 closer of course, but still really interesting, creepy, and tense enough for me.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Seemed like a slow burning setup for the rest of the season but I'll agree that there really wasn't much that grabbed in this episode.

Hannibal killing that one guy fell kind of flat since the episode was setting him up to be somewhat of a player this season and even a threat, although he played his hand when he confessed to Hannibal that he sort of knew what was going on towards the end of the episode.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I've enjoyed both episodes. The imagery is top notch as usual and both episodes have shown two characters that still allow Hannibal to 'control' them despite knowing how maniacal he is. I thought this episode with a Will was good and was curious had Hannibal not heard Will 'forgive' him....would he have killed Will or that Cop? Anyway, I don't think it's missed a beat....

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
It's interesting to see Will slip more and more, especially with the hallucinations. Maybe that's dangerous as he is a broken man with nothing to lose.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
It's interesting to see Will slip more and more, especially with the hallucinations. Maybe that's dangerous as he is a broken man with nothing to lose.

His character has always been a bit on the brink of just losing it. Only when he and Jack decided to 'trap' Hannibal did he seem to come into his own. Then, boom.....Hannibal takes whatever strength or confidence he had from him....at the same time letting him know that he (Hannibal) allowed it all to happen.

I thought it was interesting he used an imaginary Abigail to help help him reconcile everything that had happened....and I suppose he had been 'seeing' her for that 8 month period.....and he didn't really let her go until he knew he had found Hannibal.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Great episode, awesomely gross visuals.

But I do have two small complaints. The voice of the italian police guy was a bit annoying, and the episode was a little bit too trippy throughout. An actual normal scene from time to time is always good to balance things out.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Great episode, awesomely gross visuals.

That heart made out of a man transforming into the latest version of Will's Black Elk creature was terrifyingly awesome!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

the episode was a little bit too trippy throughout. An actual normal scene from time to time is always good to balance things out.

This right here.

I don't mind the show going abstract from time to time, but that's how the whole episode felt. I was not liking it at all. There needs to be a balance.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

the episode was a little bit too trippy throughout. An actual normal scene from time to time is always good to balance things out.

This right here.

I don't mind the show going abstract from time to time, but that's how the whole episode felt. I was not liking it at all. There needs to be a balance.

I got the impression it was to give a glimpse of Will's state of mind? It took me until seeing Abigail's 'clean' neckline in the police station to realize that he was hallucinating her.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
1.66 rating for this weeks episode.

They are digging their own grave and there's no reason to. I am insanely into the Hannibal fiction and I wanted to turn that episode off.

I really have enjoyed the show, but with it having struggled to get renewed for a 3rd season, I don't see it making it to a 4th.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:00:04 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Well, I don't agree with that. Despite those small issues, I still thought the episode was pretty great.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I really have enjoyed the show, but with it having struggled to get renewed for a 3rd season, I don't see it making it to a 4th.

I recall reading that NETFLIX is just waiting for the opportunity to scoop it up if it is cancelled. So there's hope that it will still at least be produced. Whether its the same writers....same production value and so on as it is on NBC is the question.

Plus, the NBC Execs LOVE the show itself and is really the only reason why it's still on the air. I'll try to dig up the article I read but essentially when it boils down to it....the show doesn't really cost them that much to provide.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
They probably know it's their last season and are doing the weirdest shit just because. First two episodes are pretty meh.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
S3 E2... Meh.  Hope their just warming up.
Signature

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Best episode so far this season. That dinner scene especially was really unexpected and disturbing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
All I could think about during that scene

A fine episode overall