Author Topic: The Gentleman's Top 50 Albums Thread v. DONE  (Read 17595 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 Albums Thread v. Top 20.
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
Although I have started to like OK Computer, I really can't take it as one of the best albums in history (as it is often regarded), unlike DSOTM, which's briliance is unbelievable.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
Although I have started to like OK Computer, I really can't take it as one of the best albums in history (as it is often regarded), unlike DSOTM, which's briliance is unbelievable.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2014, 10:24:07 PM »
Ah, DSOTM and OKC, the eternal rivals... good stuff  :)
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2014, 11:59:29 AM »
Signify and DSotM do rule... but it seems we have disagreement on how much.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2014, 12:22:57 PM »
Signify and DSotM do rule... but it seems we have disagreement on how much.

FIGHT ME.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2014, 12:31:20 PM »
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2014, 10:12:14 AM »
So, everyday for this next week should have at least a post about one album..

Starting today!

16. Terminal Twilight- White Willow (2011)

White Willow are a band I found a year or so ago, but they grabbed me so very quickly. There was no period where I felt like I was warming to them, they just became one of my favourite bands. I heard this album of theirs first, so it might just be a bit biased, but man. White Willow, at least on this album, is a very synthesizer heavy band, but with woodwind and a bit of metal and folk thrown in their too. "Hawks Circle The Mountain" is certainly one of the best openers to an album there can be, with "Kansas Regrets" (featuring Tim Bowness!) is an amazing simple tune, with a lot of flute in there. But really, I feel the epic of this album, "Searise", clocking in at 13 minutes, is the best song off this album. It's got everything about this album, the simple flute and guitar, to the crazy and dark synth sections, it's the very meaning of a 'rainy day' song to me.
Recommended Tracks: "Hawks Circle The Mountain", "Kansas Regrets" and "Searise."

15. An End Has A Start-Editors (2007)

Why this above the apparentally more loved The Back Room? This album simply is just better. Right from the opening drum section of "Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors", I'm in love with this album. It's this album where I think Editors most sound comfortable with what they're doing. The uses of the Choir on the opening track "Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors" adds an amazing climax to the song, but then follows a second fantastic song, "An End Has A Start", which is certainly more upbeat lyrically and musically to the previous track, but just as great. Whilst most of the album is only very slightly behind these two, a song that I feel is on their level is "The Racing Rats", a piano based rocker about the end of times.
Recommended Tracks: "Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors", "An End Has A Start" and "The Racing Rats"
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »
14. The Final Frontier- Iron Maiden

I'm almost certain people are shaking their fists at me here! But The Final Frontier is pretty amazing to me. The three guitarists come back into full effect and create the despairing thoughts of losing yourself on songs like "Satellite 15..", "The Tailsman" and just for it's greatness, everyone comes into full play on "When the Wild Wind Blows". Okay, so maybe NOT the best lyric appears in this song, but everyone makes this song an amazing finale to a great album. It's certainly a pretty unique listen amongst the Iron Maiden discography.
Recommended Tracks: "Satellite 15..", "The Tailsman" & "When The wild Wind Blows"

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2014, 10:48:33 AM »
Maiden were always masters at closing tracks. :hefdaddy My personal favorites on the album have to be Coming Home, Isle of Avalon, and When the Wild Wind Blows. The whole thing is great though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2014, 07:11:08 AM »
Hmm. Not been a real Maiden fan since Bruce originally left but I have bought all the albums (except X Factor) waiting for greatness to return. AMOLAD was a great album, held back a bit by a poor production. Speaking of which, its a long old time since a Maiden album sounded great. You would think a band of their stature would have the best sounding albums but they don't. Is it Steve Harris' ears? Making room for 3 guitars and SH's bass in the register he plays?

They've gone a bit too "folk-y" for me too, which drags this album down. And don't get me started on that intro. Puts me off the whole album. Maybe I should do an edit without it and try again. That and Bruce sounding painful to listen to at times.

Still there are some good songs in here and its not terrible or anything. I just want Maiden to make a great album and for it to sound great.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2014, 08:01:11 AM »
The Final Frontier is amazing. A bit easier on the ears than AMOLAD, but I would argue that it's every bit as good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2014, 08:57:23 AM »
They've gone a bit too "folk-y" for me too, which drags this album down. And don't get me started on that intro. Puts me off the whole album. Maybe I should do an edit without it and try again.

The intro to Satellite 15? That's a highlight for the album honestly. Absolutely stunning and I'm surprised they got that heavy at this stage in their career.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2014, 08:59:27 AM »
13. Sinner- Joan Jett (2006)

JOAN JETT STRIKES AGAIN. Sinner is actually a big chunk of the Japanese only album Naked with a few new songs, but the new songs on Sinner really push this above Naked. From the original songs, "Riddles" is amazing. It's a hard rock song that Joan makes into one of my favourite opening pieces. "Change The World" is pretty good, but not as good as "Fetish", "Tube Talkin", "Watersign" and "Bad Time". It's quite a varied selection of songs on this album, and Joan Jett's style really does come through on all of them.
Recommended Tracks: "Fetish", "Riddles" and "Bad Time"

12. Caress of Steel- Rush (1975)

So I've not heard the whole Rush discography yet, but Caress of Steel is special to me. I don't know why. It's not my first Rush album, nor is it the one I've last heard. It's just simply amazing to me. I don't know why. It might be the two epics, "The Necromancer" and "The Fountain of Lamneth" that really push this album to this height. "Bastille Day" is also pretty fantastic, and Geddy Lee's vocals on this album are fantastic. Actually, it's Rush. Everyone is fantastic, but Geddy Lee just sounds pretty great compared to other Rush albums.
Recommended Tracks: "The Necromancer" & "The Fountain of Lamneth"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »
They've gone a bit too "folk-y" for me too, which drags this album down. And don't get me started on that intro. Puts me off the whole album. Maybe I should do an edit without it and try again.

The intro to Satellite 15? That's a highlight for the album honestly. Absolutely stunning and I'm surprised they got stayed that heavy at this stage in their career.

Fixed.

Point taken. But it seems that a lot of the 80's bands post 2000 have been on a tear.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2014, 09:13:37 AM »

The intro to Satellite 15? That's a highlight for the album honestly. Absolutely stunning and I'm surprised they got stayed that heavy at this stage in their career.

Fixed.

Point taken. But it seems that a lot of the 80's bands post 2000 have been on a tear.

Agreed, which is why Maiden still has my undying admiration for not letting up or wavering after 30+ years. Oldies, but still kicking all kinds of ass.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2014, 11:02:03 AM »
Can't argue with CoS. Production aside (it doesn't sound as good as Fly By Night), I love the whole thing. Though the fact that By Tor suddenly seems to be the hero confused me abit after he was the bad guy in B-T&tSD.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2014, 01:58:43 PM »

There's something you don't see every day.  Or... ever.  Interesting choice.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »

There's something you don't see every day.  Or... ever.  Interesting choice.

Quoted for truth. But it's a great album, imo. Love the two epics, especially the Necromancer.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2014, 04:38:44 PM »
Well, there are some more surprises waiting in the top 50 list, such as #8..

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
11. Fear of a Blank Planet- Porcupine Tree (2007)

Wilson, Wilson, Wilson. You got me. Well, okay, some of the lyrics are a bit stupid, but they work in this rather amazing album. "Sleep Together" is easily in my top 3 PT songs of all time, and the rest of the album could easily make up most of the top 20. Wilson is amazing with his vocals, with that guitar, and the rest of the band just, yes. I love this album, and you know what? I can't recommend you a song apart from Sleep Together. Either the whole album or that song. Go on.
DO IT.
Recommend Tracks: "Sleep Together" or WHOLE ALBUM.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
This record is really something else. I know even PT fans constantly note how this particular album contains a couple of "cringe-worthy" lyrics, but I honestly only hear it in the title track, which, while still good, is probably my least favorite song off of this.

"Anesthetize", "Sentimental", and "Way Out of Here" are godly tracks. :hefdaddy What a perfect string of songs.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »
Cool choice. I need to get around to listening to the rest of PT's discography. I can't comment on the actual album, since I haven't heard it yet, but I'm sure it's great because PT.

My favorite PT song is WHOLE ALBUM.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »
10. Meddle- Pink Floyd (1971)

SECOND FAVOURITE FLOYD ALBUM, YEAH YEAH! Meddle is a fantastic gem with the shadow of what comes after it when people talk about it, but this album has such a unique charm to it, I can't help but love it. It helps it has my favourite song of all time on it, "Echoes", too, but then you've got that bass duel opening of "One of These Days", to that loveable funky song "San Tropez", this album is just something I always love to really put on. Echoes is amazing, it's the best song ever I feel, and if you've not heard it yet, go do it! Go listen to the whole album!
Recommended Tracks: "Echoes", "One of These Days" and "San Tropez"

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2014, 12:36:25 AM »
Meddle is extraordinary. "Echoes" is tied with "Shine On" for my favorite PF song. One of my favorites ever. :hefdaddy

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »
While I might not agree with all your picks, I gotta say you have some nice variety going on! And there's plenty of great albums on this list.  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2014, 11:39:01 AM »
While I might not agree with all your picks, I gotta say you have some nice variety going on! And there's plenty of great albums on this list.  :tup

:iagree:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
9. Pawn Hearts- Van Der Graaf Generator (1971)

VDGG are a band I haven't proper proper checked out, apart from this album, really. But this album is pretty incredible. Like Meddle, it's got an amazing final track, but where the battle is won in this case is the very solid, much more than Meddle, rest of the album. It doesn't have a Sheamus, it has the amazing Theme One. It has Man-Erg and Lemmings. You know what..?
Recommended Album: ALL OF IT

8. High Violet- The National (2010)

Remember the festival I mentioned? The National were the top act. It was very magical, and it's how I discovered this band. This album. It was amazing. It's an amazing extraordinary and well composed indie rock album. "England" gives you a great sense of how well this album truly builds up the feelings. (MORE TO BE ADDED)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2014, 12:34:27 PM »
I don't know the majority on your list, but the Maiden and Rush picks get a thumbs up.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2014, 05:47:52 PM »
I don't know the majority on your list, but the Maiden and Rush picks get a thumbs up.

:iagree:

I'm glad A) People still don't know everything on my list and B) People approve of some of the picks.

Probably not this one.

7. A Rush of Blood to the Head- Coldplay (2002)

This is an album that runs in the family. If we talk about a great album we like, especially my Brother and I, A Rush of Blood to the Head is it. It's driven by the Piano. This album is the ultimate in the Piano Pop. I feel like most things in modern Pop could learn something from this album. It's got an edge to it, "Politik" and "A Rush of Blood to the Head" show that off. Chris Martin's voice is fantastic on this album, it's the best his voice could ever sound. People will know "Clocks", but this album outclasses "Clocks". It's got such a solid tracklist that ends with my two favourite Coldplay songs. "A Rush of Blood to the Head" is a contrast to the rest of the album, it's an acoustic guitar based piece. This is actually one two songs I need to learn on guitar, because it's incredible. But, the track that really makes this album is the final.

"Amsterdam." This is it. This song is the song that really got me into music, surprisingly. I can't remember how, but I heard it and I was enchanted by it. It went on repeat. I know everything about this song, and it's just amazing. Perfect.
Recommended Tracks: "Politik", "A Rush of Blood To The Head" & "Amsterdam"

6. The Afterman: Descension- Coheed and Cambria (2013)

Coheed and Cambria are a new band for me. But Descension is the best album I've heard in the 2010s. It might even improve it's standing over the year the more I listen to it. This album is amazing, start to finish, and with a three song pairing in the middle of it, "The Hard Sell", "Number City" and "Gravity's Union", that backbone makes you feel, makes you so engrossed into the main character and his relationship with his.. Well, I don't want to spoil it. But these three songs are amazing, completely different sounding tracks with different vocal styles on it too. If there's one thing Claudio Sanchez is great at, it's all those vocal styles. I'm also going draw attention to the fantastic Acoustic "Carol Ann" on the deluxe edition. Heart-wrenching. I'm not sure how it would of fit into the narrative, but I wish it did. It tears my heart to shreds.
Recommended Tracks:"The Hard Sell", "Number City", "Gravity's Union" and "Carol Ann".

5. Amused to Death- Roger Waters (1992)

Waters called this album one of his Big 3, including "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall". I'll go one step further. It's the best out of those three. It's his second best work ever. It's the most cynical of his works, and unlike his other two solo album, doesn't have a happy ending. It's got every area Waters loves to talk about, from disenchantment to the war, but it's just.. perfectly executed. "What God Wants", all parts, are 3 songs that stick in my mind but I wouldn't recommend just because there are better better tracks. Like "Too Much Rope". That's a very almost comedic grimdark view on how Humanity is going. Then you've got "Three Wishes", and I don't know what to say about that other than how Waters, I think, finally has.. dealt with his Father. How he can't keep thinking of him and being angry. There are things in the present to be angry! "It's a Miracle" is another comedic dark look at capitalism really, and man does the dig at Lloyd Webber make me smile. But the title track, that climax of vocals with that end section after it, man oh man. It's perfect.

---
TOMORROW
WE'RE GOING INTO THE FINAL FOUR

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 Albums Thread v. Top 5!!!
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2014, 06:00:13 PM »
Some stunning choices for this high in the list, I gotta say.

I have yet to still get into C&C and The Afterman seems to be pretty well-lauded so I'll give it a shot soon.

My favorite Waters solo album. :tup As I'm sure it is for many others well.

As for the Coldplay album, well, Zantera put it best :lol

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 Albums Thread v. Top 5!!!
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2014, 07:42:04 AM »
4. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence- Dream Theater (2002)

Six Degrees is my favourite Dream Theater album. Is it surprising? Rudess is unleashed. Myung is amazing. Petrucci crunches in hard, MP hits well and LaBrie sounds amazing. Really, from that opening static of "The Glass Prison" all the way to that final keys of "Grand Finale", this album is incredible. It's raw, it's aggressive, it makes you cry (DISAPPEAR WHHHYYYYY) and has some unique amazing sounds. It's got a 42 minute title track, it's got a badass heavy rocker to open, it's got even a political song! It's an album full of new little things for DT, and with everything on this album just perfect, it makes it to number 4. To be beaten by three very special albums, however..

3. The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)- Steven Wilson (2013)

My album of 2013 comes in at 3. It's perfect, it does everything I love for an album except one thing and that's why it isn't in the top 2. There's not punch to it, really. It's fantastic, it truly is, with songs like "Luminol", "Drive Home", "Holy Drinker" and the title track, but it's.. lacking that personal connection punch. But it's amazing. It's just a piece of art from start to end.

2. THERE IS NO 2. THERE IS ONLY

1. (TIE) Storm Season- White Willow (2004)

Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd (1975)

I couldn't. Picking between the two was impossible for me. They are everything I consider to be true works of art, they pull at my heart strings, they get me singing along, rocking out, working, writing, motivated, they do everything for me. They've got amazing songs, with different styles completely. They've got that punch I'm looking for as well. I could go on and on about them, but jesus, it just feature the words amazing, fantastic and beautiful a lot. Go listen to them. I know Storm Season is on Grooveshark. Wish You Were Here is amazing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 Albums Thread v. DONE
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2014, 08:33:02 AM »
WYWH is around my Top 5 as well. Just musical perfection right there. I'll check that Storm Season album too.

Also, TRTRTS is fucking great too. Don't know if I would put it that high, but it's definitely a masterpiece. GfD was a bit too bloated to my taste, but on this album Steven got it just right.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
Six Degrees is fucking amazing :metal. Also, interesting to see such a recent album so high on your list - it may mean that The Raven... will stand the test of time.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »
The Raven was great, and Six Degrees one of DT's best. :tup

Wish You Were Here is a masterpiece. It has to be around my Top 5 as well.  :hefdaddy Fantastic finish overall.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2014, 06:27:41 AM »
2 out of 4 ain't bad.  I can't stand Steven Wilson, and I don't know Storm Season.  What's the style/genre of that?  Give a little writeup, will ya?