Author Topic: The Spirit Carries On appreciation thread  (Read 3288 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The Spirit Carries On appreciation thread
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »
I did a search and was shocked to see that this all-time great DT song doesn't have its own proper thread, much less an appreciation thread, so here we go.

Absolutely magnificent song in every way imaginable - great melodies, one of JP's best solos, and an ending that is so euphoric and triumphant, it's like it was made to play live.  This, to me, is the one Dream Theater song that they could play at every single show until the day they retire and I'd be fine with it.  It is that awesome, in general and live.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy song, for sure. :coolio

Offline Dream Team

Re: The Spirit Carries On appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »
Love the live version on Score, and others. Album version is a little flat for me.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »
Definitely a top 20 song for me.  :tup

I would say, having it on 3 video albums is a little much, especially since they just can't beat the LSFNY version, with the live choir and all that, but it's still always good to hear... Hopefully live some day.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »
One of my very favourites from them. Loved it since I first heard it. Awesome guitar solo as well.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 03:38:41 PM »
One of my favorite songs, it gets me every time. Petrucci's solo is one of the most refined and emotional I've ever heard, he really channeled David Gilmour and it worked so fucking well. 
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 03:55:55 PM »
One of JP's best guitar solos.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 03:59:51 PM »
The ending is truly magnificent. Great song overall.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 04:06:39 PM »
I absolutely love the way this song constantly builds to the last verse and chorus. Amazing song all around, especially the solo and LaBrie is fantastic all throughout as well.

Offline krands85

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »
Definitely one of those songs that seems to work so much better live than on the album. Grown to appreciate it a lot more in the last few years as well too. Great track and one of JP's best solos.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 06:54:49 PM »
JP's solo in this song, and in fact all of his solos throughout SFAM, are so masterfully crafted and emotional, they're difficult to forget. It has a wonderful build-up and nearly explodes with pure emotion near the end.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 07:42:16 PM »
I think I prefer the LALP version 'cause of the vocal arrangements at the ending.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 08:11:06 PM »
I appreciate this song.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »
I saw a version from Italy, I believe, that was dedicated to the DT Italy fan club drummer that gave up a seat on his lifeboat when the Concordia went down.  He didn't make it.  The tribute and song are one of the most emotional moments I have witnessed, even if on youtube.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 06:13:51 AM »
Fantastic song.  Very Floydian, but with that stamp of DT-ness. 

I know the LSFNY version gets a lot of praise, and rightly so, but I think the band sounded better and more in synch - just an overall better performance - on SCORE.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 07:55:54 AM »
Love it.  Should have been a single.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 08:35:30 AM »
Great song on the album, knock it out of the park brilliant live. While I am sure there's a bad version of it somewhere out there, I've not heard or seen one yet that wasn't fan-fucking-tastic.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Hayden

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 09:00:10 AM »
What does everyone think of the lyrics, just out of curiosity?

I quite like them, but an acquaintance of mine told me that "The Spirit Carries On" was the low-point of Scenes from a Memory for him because the lyrics pretty much consisted of "a guy asking all these really general, cliche questions". However, I did explain to him that they were improved when listened to in the context of the album's story (which he hadn't paid attention to). Still, though, I think a big part of the reason why I enjoy them is because they speak to me on a personal level (being a Christian and, by extension, a believer in an afterlife), and I wonder how I would've responded to them if weren't a theist, even with the consideration of the song's surrounding context.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 12:16:17 PM »
I'm not a religious person but the lyrics don't have any negative meaning for me. Its an overwhelmingly positive song, and quite beautiful in the context of the story. Even taken alone, someone finding belief in the afterlife which gives a sense meaning to their life is quite admirable to me. My personal beliefs don't have much to do with my appreciation for the lyrics. 
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »
I'm not a religious person but the lyrics don't have any negative meaning for me. Its an overwhelmingly positive song, and quite beautiful in the context of the story. Even taken alone, someone finding belief in the afterlife which gives a sense meaning to their life is quite admirable to me. My personal beliefs don't have much to do with my appreciation for the lyrics.

I am a religious person, but I do not believe in an immortal soul, or a "spirit that lives on after death" in the typical religious sense.    I still like the song though, and I choose to interpret the lyrics in a slightly different light.   To me, the "spirit" that carries on is simply the memories that your loved ones remember....and most of the song lyrics could be viewed in that light.   "I know that my soul will transcend" is really the only line that doesn't jibe with that idea...but I just choose to ignore that part.   :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »
I love it, best of the best is imho the SFNY version, just epic.
Ever noticed that in some parts you can easily swap it with "Eclipse" from TDSOTM, not losing a beat and staying on same notes? Floydian as hell! Or Heaven... :angel:
From Rome, with love.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »
I almost wish TSCO was the last song on Scenes.  The way it comes full circle to Regression is such an emotionally beautiful way to conclude a story.  You set up the mystery at the beginning by doing into this crazy hypnosis trip, and then you solve that mystery and pay off all the emotions at the end.  It sounds obvious when explained, but the experience is unforgettable.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:46:49 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »
Great song, one of the very first song I heard from DT.  Love the lyrics, very true.  Beautiful solo by John.  The SFAM live version with the Gospel ensemble is awsome.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
Last year, I played this at my Mum's funeral. A couple of months later when we watched LALP at Avoca Beach (one of my most awesome nights ever) yeah, I had chills. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 04:58:21 PM »
Great song on the album, knock it out of the park brilliant live. While I am sure there's a bad version of it somewhere out there, I've not heard or seen one yet that wasn't fan-fucking-tastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »
Best JP solo IMHO.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »
No ADTOE girl meme's in here yet? I am dissapoint.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 09:36:12 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 04:18:06 AM »
My favourite DT song by a mile, and I'm always surprised it doesn't get more love. Saw then play this at Hammersmith in 2005 with Teresa Thompson on guest vocals, 2 days before my dad's funeral. One of my finest DT moments. The song reminds me of Floyd, but also reminds me of Queen.

I've always felt TSCO would be perfect as a song in a The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe musical...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 08:40:45 AM »
This song is definitely in my top 5 from Dream Theater.  It's got everything.  Great melodies, great lyrics, a fantastic guitar solo and a climax that's practically orgasmic. 

Offline smegolas

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
proabably my favourite song of all time.  it kills me that i have never heard them play it live.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 02:10:09 PM »
It is incredible how DT fans love this song considering this is not a representative DT song. It is a very Pink-Floydish song, not DT average style. They never did something like that again...

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 04:43:17 PM »
It is incredible how DT fans love this song considering this is not a representative DT song. It is a very Pink-Floydish song, not DT average style. They never did something like that again...
As i said, it's more Dark-sidish...  Listen to it in sequence with Eclipse, you'll be amazed...
From Rome, with love.