Author Topic: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Here at the End of All Things"  (Read 47854 times)

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Night of the Evil Chuck"
« Reply #245 on: June 04, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »
For me, the moment I hear a growl, the song is officially over.

sadly, this is almost true for me too.  it's only rare cases where I can deal with it.

I sorta wished I liked it because I think there's a lot of great music out there that it's hard for me to enjoy.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #246 on: June 04, 2014, 08:12:42 PM »

sadly, this is almost true for me too.  it's only rare cases where I can deal with it.

I sorta wished I liked it because I think there's a lot of great music out there that it's hard for me to enjoy.

I can be like that too, but as I've said, Death was the band that started getting me to be more open to listening to that type of vocal style. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #247 on: June 04, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »
Ahh, Death. Another band I really need to get into. I've heard nothing but praise for Symbolic and TSOP. Will check out Symbolic shortly thanks to this. :tup

I used to absolutely loathe any and all growls/screams. It might have been Opeth and Agalloch at the same time that really warmed me up to them and now I tolerate them much more, and even love it if done right.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #248 on: June 04, 2014, 08:38:03 PM »
The Sound of Perseverance is the best them, but pretty much every other Death album occupies #2 simultaneously, so it's hard to argue with that selection.

Well, except for Scream Bloody Gore. Never really got into that one - it's good, but nowhere near the brilliance of the rest of Death's discography.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #249 on: June 04, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »
Ahh, Death. Another band I really need to get into. I've heard nothing but praise for Symbolic and TSOP. Will check out Symbolic shortly thanks to this. :tup
The Sound of Perseverance is the best them, but pretty much every other Death album occupies #2 simultaneously, so it's hard to argue with that selection.

Well, except for Scream Bloody Gore. Never really got into that one - it's good, but nowhere near the brilliance of the rest of Death's discography.

I absolutely love TSoP too. But lately I've just fallen for Human and Symbolic just a tad bit more. :metal :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #250 on: June 04, 2014, 10:09:13 PM »
Thanks to _floyd, I heard Symbolic for the first time a few days ago. Spectacular stuff! :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2014, 06:09:58 AM »

Yup. I have tried Death. Have a couple of Discs, too. I can't get past a song or too. Too bad, because the music is KILLER.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2014, 06:17:11 AM »
Who woulda thunk ?  - Death kills  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Long Live The King"
« Reply #253 on: June 05, 2014, 07:26:59 AM »

4. King Diamond - "Them" (1988)

I also prefer this to Abigail. His falsettos don't hurt my ears. They are unbearable on Abigail. And I agree with what Mr G. said about the band. Them is filled with incredible music.

To think I walked out of a KD show on this tour before he took the stage! :facepalm:

I'm a bit of a casual KD fan and I need to be in the mood for his vocal style. 

I'm in the same boat. Didn't jump into KD till about 4-5 years ago. I find his last two releases (The Puppet Master and Give Me Your Soul...Please) much more enjoyable. They are primarily sung in his lower register and the falsettos are kept to a minimum.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: June 05, 2014, 07:28:56 AM »
. I find his last two releases (The Puppet Master and Give Me Your Soul...Please) much more enjoyable. They are primarily sung in his lower register and the falsettos are kept to a minimum.

Thanks  - will check them out.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #255 on: June 05, 2014, 07:37:39 AM »
. I find his last two releases (The Puppet Master and Give Me Your Soul...Please) much more enjoyable. They are primarily sung in his lower register and the falsettos are kept to a minimum.

Thanks  - will check them out.

This is the song that ultimately made me go back and really check out King Diamond.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tl-N9FJMpY

I avoided him like the plague from the mid 80's on.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #256 on: June 05, 2014, 07:42:06 AM »
I would also like to say that Them has the music Savatage seemed to be shooting for, but just didn't have the chops to pull off.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: June 05, 2014, 07:48:32 AM »
Haha .........you've said something like that to me before about Savatage not having the chops and I think my response was something like  :censored

:P

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #258 on: June 05, 2014, 07:58:20 AM »
Haha .........you've said something like that to me before about Savatage not having the chops and I think my response was something like  :censored

Hall Of The Mountain King is just OK, but like with Streets and Guitter Ballet, I admire the concepts and effort and all, but I come away from those albums feeling like they could be soooo much better. Savatage was visionary, I'll give them that. I just don't think they were very good.

Literally the most disappointing band I've seen live, hence my Possessed Barny comment.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: June 05, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »
I can't comment on the live angle (although I've heard plenty say they were amazing live..........I can imagine Jon could be hit and miss) but the concept of them being no good during the HoTMK to Streets era and not up to playing King Diamond is not computing with me  ;D  We agree on most things so I'll put this down to a disturbance in the force.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #260 on: June 05, 2014, 08:23:20 AM »
;D  We agree on most things so I'll put this down to a disturbance in the force.

Apparently someone fucked with the flux capacitor 30 years ago!  :D

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #261 on: June 05, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »
I would also like to say that Them has the music Savatage seemed to be shooting for, but just didn't have the chops to pull off.

While I disagree that Savatage didn't have the chops to pull that sort of music off, I will agree that "Them" is pretty close to my ideal Savatage album.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #262 on: June 05, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »

Hall Of The Mountain King is just OK, but like with Streets and Guitter Ballet, I admire the concepts and effort and all, but I come away from those albums feeling like they could be soooo much better. Savatage was visionary, I'll give them that. I just don't think they were very good.

Literally the most disappointing band I've seen live, hence my Possessed Barny comment.

I guess I felt the same when I bought GB, my first Savatage album. I felt the songs were there, the players were excellent but Jon's vocals weren't up to the job of the songs he was writing. Criss could easily play KD stuff.

Them is a great album, probably my favourite KD album with Abigail - my first KD album.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #263 on: June 05, 2014, 04:50:54 PM »

I guess I felt the same when I bought GB, my first Savatage album. I felt the songs were there, the players were excellent but Jon's vocals weren't up to the job of the songs he was writing. Criss could easily play KD stuff.

Them is a great album, probably my favourite KD album with Abigail - my first KD album.

The two are definitely my favorite KD albums. :tup :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Oh Brucie, I'm Home!"
« Reply #264 on: June 05, 2014, 05:00:27 PM »

2. Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding (1998)

I am amazed that no one guessed that this album was going to be in my Top 5. This album is the greatest album Iron Maiden never made. If you were to replace Bruce’s name with the Iron Maiden logo, this album would be to Maiden what Painkiller was to Judas Priest. It is the quintessential metal album. It is incredibly heavy, yet it’s also incredibly melodic. It’s also very dense in conceptual meaning, having been inspired by the works of William Blake.

I could write a very big essay about why I love this album. In fact, I probably should.

But I won't, or at least, not today. Because right now, more people need to check this album out and listen to its splendor. If you've never had the chance to listen to this album or put it off because of the notion that a Bruce solo album is inferior to Iron Maiden, prepare yourselves for a rude awakening and go listen to this album right now.

The Book of Thel is opening...

Favorite Track: The whole thing, but The Book of Thel, The Alchemist, Jerusalem and Gates of Urizen are particular highlights.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: June 05, 2014, 05:18:47 PM »
My number 1!!

It's perfect, absolutely perfect.  Fucking blew my mind the first time I heard it.  I still remember that evening.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #266 on: June 05, 2014, 05:33:12 PM »
I'd still say I prefer Powerslave, but this one comes very close behind. A stellar choice. :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #267 on: June 05, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »
My number 1!!

It's perfect, absolutely perfect.  Fucking blew my mind the first time I heard it.  I still remember that evening.

In many ways, this is still my number 1 too. But considering my number 1 already consists of 2 Fates Warning albums (one of which will be excluded from the official list), 1 Mastodon album and 1 Voivod album, I felt it'd be best to lighten the load a wee bit. It was nigh impossible to bring myself to do it to TCW though. It knows where it is in spirit though. :tup :lol

I'd still say I prefer Powerslave, but this one comes very close behind. A stellar choice. :metal

Thanks! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #268 on: June 05, 2014, 05:41:46 PM »
I tried this album when it topped Kade's list.  It was ok, but I certainly wasn't wow'd by it.

Ditto.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2014, 05:55:17 PM »
I tried this album when it topped Kade's list.  It was ok, but I certainly wasn't wow'd by it.

Ditto.

I still say to all you guys, give it time and take small doses at a time.  I remember I was in the same boat as you guys when it came to growls.  I seemed to listen to small pieces at different times until I realised that the growls were fucking awesome.  I think Soilwork were the band that made me fall in love with that type of vocal delivery. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Oh Brucie, I'm Hom
« Reply #270 on: June 05, 2014, 06:05:37 PM »
^ I dunno man. There's enough awesome non-growl stuff I'm still discovering, I'm not inclined to 'give it time'. The same could be said of other genres. I know whats I like, and I'm happy to stay in my lane.

:-\
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »
I wasn't too fussed over The Chemical Wedding .........preferred Accident......

Book of Thel, Gates of Urizen (in your faves) and Return Of The King were tracks I enjoyed but I found the rest a bit average.  But I'm just a casual Maiden fan too so I don't count  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: June 06, 2014, 12:55:28 AM »
^ I dunno man. There's enough awesome non-growl stuff I'm still discovering, I'm not inclined to 'give it time'. The same could be said of other genres. I know whats I like, and I'm happy to stay in my lane.

Me too.  I'm stuck in my lane too.

Outstanding choice with Chemical Wedding.  Do you guys have the re-released version of it?  I think that version just takes a perfect metal album to the next level.  "Real World" was a great bonus track.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2014, 07:04:00 AM »

Outstanding choice with Chemical Wedding.  Do you guys have the re-released version of it?  I think that version just takes a perfect metal album to the next level.  "Real World" was a great bonus track.

I do! Completely agreed about Real World, though Return of the King is also brilliant too. :metal :hefdaddy Hell, I even enjoy Confeos too. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2014, 10:51:17 AM »
Chemical Wedding = Great Album

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2014, 10:57:36 AM »

I have to say I've enjoyed some music recently with some growls (Persefone, Insomnium, JLB, Death's Sound Of Perseverence - though that's not exactly growling). Its really not my thing and if the same music had a typically metal vocal I would enjoy it even more, and I don't see that I'll ever be "into" that style.

Chemical Wedding, like most of  bruce's solo stuff, passed me by in the day. I loved early Maiden but had fallen out of love with them before Bruce left so had no  real interest in pursuing Bruce's stuff. At Wolfie's recommendation I have listened to CW and it was decent. I'd take Balls to Picasso and Tyranny Of Souls ove rit, and maybe AoB too. Have't been back to it though since that first listen.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2014, 11:59:50 AM »
Lowdz, only one listen to Chemical Wedding?  You need to go back for a few more for sure.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »

so you would say that learning to like growling vocals is not inevitabre?  :biggrin:

EDIT: I know I'm goin' back several pages, but I'm really digging Painkiller.  thanks for putting that one on your list.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2014, 06:40:43 PM »
^ no, definitely not inevitabre. Like Lowdz, I can take appropriate doses of them, but I'm not apt to dive head first into a band/album that's littered with them.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »
Chemical Wedding is the tits :metal :metal :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!