Author Topic: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Here at the End of All Things"  (Read 47890 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "She's Waiting For You"
« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2014, 12:08:55 PM »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "She's Waiting For You"
« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2014, 12:49:17 PM »
Have never been able to get into Nevermore. Something grating to me. It's decent enough metal, but I've never found them to be very dynamic.

Just listened to some of Edge Of Thorns. Zac era Savatage just feels slightly generic to me. But I'll say this, he's a much better singer than the Possessed Barny.

Nevermore is definitely not for everyone. :tup

:rollin :rollin I laughed way harder than I probably should have.

2 great Nevermore albums there.

:tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Alien Invaders... AND A WHALE!"
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »
I figure I might as well be a bit more creative with these last five update subtitles. :biggrin:

5. Voivod - The Outer Limit (1993), Mastodon - Leviathan (2004)

a. As I mentioned last night, I had a feeling that no one would be able to correctly guess this pick. I only got into Voivod a couple of months ago, but I quickly fell in love with these guys. I was about to post a thread for them here, since they don't seem to have any official thread here (yet), when I realized that I could use this as an opportunity to sort of "introduce" them to folks here as a surprise entry in my Top 50 list. That they managed to crack my Top 5 so quickly speaks of their quality. :metal

A very interesting and incredibly awesome aspect about Voivod is that just about all of their album artwork is down by their drummer, "Away." His sketches on albums such as Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross and Nothingface is incredibly demented and eerie, like a nightmarish blend of Frank Miller and Tim Burton.

Here, on The Outer Limit, Away cleans up his art style to channel out the old school 1950's sci-fi comics/movie posters of old with a cartoony image of a mysterious Martian invader. While it isn't my personal favorite cover from Away (that'd be Nothingface), The Outer Limit has a cover that stands out even from the rest of the band's works, which is a pretty accomplishment in and of itself. From what I hear, there was a limited edition that was released back in 1993 where the album came with 3-D glasses and the cover and entire artwork in the album was redone in 3-D. That is pretty cool. :hefdaddy

But of course, an album is only as strong as the music it contains inside, and the music in The Outer Limit is superb. This album was the first album the band ever did without their "blower bassist," "Blacky," which would prove to be a bit of a detriment on following Voivod albums. But here, the band's musical ambitions are so grand and top-notch that very little quality is lost from the lack of Blacky. The rest of the band is in top form, with lead vocalist "Snake" giving his most melodic performance ever on a Voivod album, lead guitarist "Piggy" (RIP) continues to be one of the most underrated geniuses in metal history and Away plays some downright complex shit on the drums (or at least, it sounds like it to me).

This album is Voivod at their absolute proggiest. If you need any further convincing, just spare seventeen and a half minutes of your time to go listen "Jack Luminous." While I don't think that The Outer Limit is the band's best album, "Jack Luminous" is definitely the band's best song and the rest of the album is a close second place in the band's discography.

Favorite Track: Jack Luminous

b. While I was expecting no one to guess the inclusion of Voivod on this list, I was actually very surprised that no one guessed that Mastodon would be in the Top 5. :lol

Anywho... Leviathan.

I remember when I heard this album for the first time. I listened to Leviathan for the first time at around 5 am on a late October morning in my bedroom. While I had to get used to the more fierce vocals that Troy Sanders utilized on this album, I was in love with the music right away. It all just screamed "CLASSIC" to me. As soon as the album ended, I immediately clicked the replay button and listened to it again. Then, after I got to campus a couple of hours later, I listened to the album several more times in the Student Center while I waited for my classes to start.

Whenever I listen to Leviathan, I get flashbacks to my earliest days as a metalhead, listening to Metallica and Black Sabbath. Only there's something about Mastodon (and Leviathan especially) that I just love a hell of a lot more than either of those bands now. Their music is complex and heavy as hell, but there's a lot of soul and mood to it too. Furthermore, there is a special chemistry between those four guys that I think escalates all of their music to something almost supernatural in quality.

Favorite Track: Hearts Alive
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Alien Invaders... AND A WHALE!!!"
« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2014, 05:02:11 PM »
OK, I am ready for #4.  :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline adace

« Reply #214 on: June 02, 2014, 05:11:25 PM »
Never could get into Voivod but Leviathan is just fantastic. It's one of my favorite albums as well. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2014, 05:21:03 PM »
Leviathan  :metal  That was like number 16 or something on my list.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2014, 05:48:26 PM »

:tup :lol

Never could get into Voivod but Leviathan is just fantastic. It's one of my favorite albums as well. :tup

Voivod is fantastic! I absolutely love those guys... :hefdaddy :metal And yeah, Leviathan is great. :tup

Leviathan  :metal  That was like number 16 or something on my list.

:tup :hefdaddy :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »
I heard enough Voivod in the late 80's to know they weren't for me.

And I tried Zlevisthan shortly after its release but I seem to remember the vocals killing it for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #218 on: June 02, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »
I heard enough Voivod in the late 80's to know they weren't for me.

And I tried Zlevisthan shortly after its release but I seem to remember the vocals killing it for me.

What albums did you hear from Voivod?

You'd probably want to check out either Crack the Skye or The Hunter, as far as Mastodon goes then, TAC. The vocals are clean there.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: June 02, 2014, 06:07:48 PM »
I actually have Crack The Skye. I was in Newbury Comics (local record store chain around here) on my birthday picking up a haul a few years back. They had some real cool music playing. I thought it was great. When I got to the counter, I asked the guy what it was, and he pointed to Crack The Skye. I was like, throw THAT in the bag! For some reason I don't listen to it. I'm picky when it comes to vocals and Mastodon's clean vocals I find quite boring. I have the same problem with Opeth. Obviously the growls are not for me, but Akerfeldt's clean vocals are so wimpy. I can't win!
I did not pick up The Hunter. I haven't ruled it out in any way, but I would probably have to deplete "the list" and have money to burn before I get it. :D

I graduated college in 1990. My roommate was into Voivod. I lived with him for two plus years, so whatever they had out at that time would've been what I heard. I remember they had funny names. Piggy, Muddy, Donkey.. :lol

Was Piggy the one that passed away?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #220 on: June 02, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »
Mr. G, speaking of clean vocals Mastodon, did you try Pyramid Theorem? I always compared them and their vocals to Mastodon. They're a great young band.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #221 on: June 02, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »
I actually have Crack The Skye. I was in Newbury Comics (local record store chain around here) on my birthday picking up a haul. They had some real cool music playing. I thought it was great. When I got to the counter, I asked the guy what it was, and he pointed to Crack The Skye. I was like, throw THAT in the bag! For some reason I don't listen to it. I'm picky when it comes to vocals and Mastodon's clean vocals I find quite boring. I have the same problem with Opeth. Obviously the growls are not for me, but Akerfeldt's clean vocals are so wimpy. I can't win!
I did not pick up The Hunter. I haven't ruled it out in any way, but I would probably have to deplete "the list" and have money to burn before I get it. :D

I graduated college in 1990. My roommate was into Voivod. I lived with him for two plus years, so whatever they had out at that time would've been what I heard. I remember they had funny names. Piggy, Muddy, Donkey.. :lol

Was Piggy the one that passed away?

They're about to release another new album that's supposed have more clean vocals in a couple of weeks called Once More 'Round the Sun. Maybe you should check that out when it comes out? :metal :tup

:lol Piggy, Away, Blacky, Snake were the classic lineup. Piggy was indeed the one of who passed away and has since been succeeded by Chewy. And no, we have no idea if he got a medal this time either. :biggrin:

Mr. G, speaking of clean vocals Mastodon, did you try Pyramid Theorem? I always compared them and their vocals to Mastodon. They're a great young band.

I haven't! I'll have to check 'em out then! Thanks for the suggestion, TAC! :tup :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »
Pyramid Theorem;
Primitive Design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM6zWx3_BGA

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=33005.0

Already posted this in the Pyramid Theorem thread, but thanks for the recommendation, TAC! I'm really digging the sound of this! :tup :metal :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: June 02, 2014, 06:31:42 PM »

:D

If I were to choose between the two it would be Voivod but I haven't heard anything by either band that grabs me as yet.

The Pyramid Theorem is quite good.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #225 on: June 02, 2014, 09:49:25 PM »

:D

If I were to choose between the two it would be Voivod but I haven't heard anything by either band that grabs me as yet.

The Pyramid Theorem is quite good.

What have you heard from Voivod, bl5150?
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: June 02, 2014, 10:13:44 PM »
The only album I remember distinctly is Nothingface but this is a band I grew up with and so I'm basing my statement on the fact that I heard a fair bit of them on metal radio (from whatever album ............late 80's, early 90's) and never felt compelled to buy an album. 

I used to  (only half seriously)  say Voivod + comedy = Scatterbrain and I used to really enjoy them though.............dude  ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:37:04 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #227 on: June 03, 2014, 06:44:15 AM »
The only album I remember distinctly is Nothingface but this is a band I grew up with and so I'm basing my statement on the fact that I heard a fair bit of them on metal radio (from whatever album ............late 80's, early 90's) and never felt compelled to buy an album. 

I used to  (only half seriously)  say Voivod + comedy = Scatterbrain and I used to really enjoy them though.............dude  ;D

Ah. I'm kinda surprised you heard them relatively often on metal radio! :lol The channels around where I live don't usually play anything particularly good.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Long Live The King"
« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »

4. King Diamond - "Them" (1988)

I have really come to love King Diamond over the past year or so. The guy’s voice is definitely something that takes getting used to, but once you do, it’s hard not to love it. He covers an incredible palette from falsetto shrieks, raspy black metal-ish growls and the stuff in-between. It’s not hard for me to enjoy listening to him at any given mood, because chances are I’ll like at least one or more of his voices, no matter how I’m feeling at that moment.

Furthermore, the King has a gift for knowing how to make a great band. There is a good reason that the quality and difficulty of Death’s guitarwork shot up into the stratosphere after Individual Thought Patterns came out and that reason is the King’s long-time friend and musical soul mate, Andy LaRocque. The more I listen to Andy, the more I absolutely love his playing. He’s right up there with Chuck Schuldiner, Alex Lifeson, Jim Matheos, Frank Aresti and "Piggy" as one of my all-time favorite guitarists.

But this album isn’t just about LaRocque or the King; the rest of the band is phenomenal. “Them” is undoubtedly the best performance I have ever heard from drummer Mickey Dee, and the new co-guitarist and new bassist are definite improvements from their Mercyful Fate counterparts that were on the previous two King Diamond albums. Pete Blakk’s guitar playing is a better match to LaRocque’s and both play with a much greater intensity than was present on the previous album.

As I mentioned way back when in my write-up for Abigail, I love great concept albums. I also love a great horror story. King Diamond is a master at both and his two-part tale of the House of Amon (“Them,” Conspiracy) is his magnum opus. While Abigail is groundbreaking for being the first horror concept album in metal history and appeals to my long love for gothic horror, “Them” is truly a superior story, even without its second half told on Conspiracy.

“Them” has King Diamond going into Alfred Hitchcock territory. This is a story that could be happening now. It is just as much a psychological horror story as it is a supernatural horror. While there is definitely a spiritual presence on this album, I can’t help but wonder how much of it are the ghosts and how much of it actually stems from the young King and his Grandma. After all, what is it that keeps bringing the both of them back to that attic and enjoying a cup of tea with "them?"

Favorite Track: The Invisible Guests
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2014, 06:08:57 PM »
Will check this one out - I'm a bit of a casual KD fan and I need to be in the mood for his vocal style.   I like Abigail and also have Conspiracy but I don't recall hearing this one.

Concepts really mean zilch to me unless the music grabs me and the songs stand up individually (then it can add something) - it really annoys me when the lyric feels shoe horned into the music which is the effect SFAM has on me (never rated it near as high as most).

Will track it down today and have a listen.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #230 on: June 03, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »
Will check this one out - I'm a bit of a casual KD fan and I need to be in the mood for his vocal style.   I like Abigail and also have Conspiracy but I don't recall hearing this one.

Concepts really mean zilch to me unless the music grabs me and the songs stand up individually (then it can add something) - it really annoys me when the lyric feels shoe horned into the music which is the effect SFAM has on me (never rated it near as high as most).

Will track it down today and have a listen.

"Them" was a grower for me. I definitely preferred Abigail when I first got into KD, but the more I got used to him and liked his style, the more I came to prefer "Them." It's still really melodic and hooky, like Abigail, but I think he and the rest of the band turned things up a few notches on this album. KD utilizes a lot more of his range and his different vocal styles on "Them" than he does on Abigail.

I will say though that the three-punch succession of Welcome Home, The Invisible Guests and Tea is probably the best three song run on any KD album ever. The rest of the album is great too, but those three make for one hell of an opening! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: June 03, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »
I don't think I'd put Them in my top 5 KD, or maybe just number 5.  I think the production let it down a lot, but Conspiracy solved that problem.  That's actually one I should revisit as I haven't listened to that one in a while.  The story and performances are absolutely incredible.  Andy is one of my favs too man, so underrated.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #232 on: June 03, 2014, 06:25:59 PM »
I don't think I'd put Them in my top 5 KD, or maybe just number 5.  I think the production let it down a lot, but Conspiracy solved that problem.  That's actually one I should revisit as I haven't listened to that one in a while.  The story and performances are absolutely incredible.  Andy is one of my favs too man, so underrated.

Huh. I guess that's where we'll have to disagree, because I think the production was a step up from Abigail. Much more pristine and intense, imo. I need to listen to Conspiracy more; I always enjoy listening to it, but I haven't spent nearly as much time digesting it and analyzing it as I have for "Them" or Abigail.

Andy deserves his own fanclub or something. :metal :hefdaddy If memory serves me right, isn't he working on a side-project with Tony Martin and some other guys? I'd love to hear that. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »
The Tony Martin side project has been spoken about for a couple of years now, but I haven't read any updates.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »
The Tony Martin side project has been spoken about for a couple of years now, but I haven't read any updates.

Damn. I'd really love something come out of that. Who else was supposed to be involved in that project? I can't remember.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: June 03, 2014, 06:44:32 PM »
I think the old bass player from Hammerfall, Magnus Rosen......I think?

Speaking of Andy side projects, I was excited by XWorld-5 when it was announced but the album was pretty disappointing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #236 on: June 03, 2014, 06:56:02 PM »
Andy Laroque= Metal's most underrated guitarist.

And I so love the Schenker influence in his playing.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #237 on: June 03, 2014, 07:08:25 PM »
Andy Laroque= Metal's most underrated guitarist.

And I so love the Schenker influence in his playing.

Completely agreed! :tup :hefdaddy :metal :hat
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Night of the Evil Chuck"
« Reply #238 on: June 04, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »

3. Death - Human (1991), Symbolic (1995)

As I said much earlier in this countdown, Chuck Schuldiner is one of my all-time favorite musicians and by extension, Death is one of my all-time favorite bands. In fact, were it not for Death, I probably would not have ever gotten into death metal. But through Chuck and his incredible music, I've slowly grown more accustomed to death metal and other heavier forms of metal. That being said, there are very few musicians in any genre that have spoken to me the way that Chuck has.

Now with Death, you could really pick any of their seven albums as your favorite. They're all masterpieces with their own unique highlights. Death was truly a band that evolved with each album. For quite some time, my favorite by Death was The Sound of Perseverance, however I came to love Symbolic as time passed. The complex melodies and sheer emotion in that album is absolutely incredible. As I mentioned in my previous article, you can see how Andy LaRocque's presence on Individual Thought Patterns (the previous album) impacted Symbolic and the final two albums that Chuck released in his lifetime.

But a few months ago, I fell absolutely in love with Human as well. While it is certainly not as complex or technical as Symbolic is, there is an intensity and passion on Human that no other Death album has. I wouldn't say that Human is the album where Death became Death, as the band (and Chuck) was constantly evolving, but I would say that Human was the album where Chuck Schuldiner decided to go beyond the distance for the first time.

It's rather strange... both Human and Symbolic are of equal quality and genius, but they are two very different albums. One is a blitzkrieg, while the other is a juggernaut. I simply cannot pick between these two albums. They are both the quintessential Death albums.

Favorite Track: Cosmic Sea (Human), Perennial Quest (Symbolic)
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: June 04, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »
FUCK YES!!  :metal

Out of the two, I like Symbolic just a little more, but both are just perfect.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #240 on: June 04, 2014, 06:03:01 PM »
FUCK YES!!  :metal

Out of the two, I like Symbolic just a little more, but both are just perfect.

It depends on the mood I'm in for me. But yes, both are downright perfect albums. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »
Death metal really ain't ma' thang usually but Death is one of the few I didn't mind listening to ...........so I suppose that's something  :D    I think across my childhood and early 20's Symbolic would be one of the very few discs classed as "death metal" that I actually bought.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2014, 07:07:06 PM »
For me, the moment I hear a growl, the song is officially over.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2014, 07:09:18 PM »

hehe.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #244 on: June 04, 2014, 07:13:09 PM »
Death metal really ain't ma' thang usually but Death is one of the few I didn't mind listening to ...........so I suppose that's something  :D    I think across my childhood and early 20's Symbolic would be one of the very few discs classed as "death metal" that I actually bought.

:tup

hehe.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea