Author Topic: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Here at the End of All Things"  (Read 46876 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Breathing Nevermore"
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2014, 04:57:20 PM »
Black Halo is probably second best Kamelot for me, Epica just beats it. 

Interesting pick with SBS, great album.  Dehumanizer is of course classic.

And great 'Tallica pick.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2014, 05:00:26 PM »
Black Halo is probably second best Kamelot for me, Epica just beats it. 

Interesting pick with SBS, great album.  Dehumanizer is of course classic.

And great 'Tallica pick.

I like Epica, but I prefer the darker mood of TBH myself. But that trinity of Karma, Epica and The Black Halo is some of the absolute best power metal ever. :metal

I almost didn't put SBS on the list, since I love the Dio era so much. But I figured Ozzy deserved some respect and I am a very big fan of that album. :tup As I mentioned in the update, Dehumanizer is pretty personal for me. :)

Thanks! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »
Definitely OK to put two albums in one spot! I did it a few times.

Great picks, though I'm not into Kamelot.

Off Dehumanizer I love Buried Alive! So Killer and THAT chorus!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline adace

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2014, 05:26:27 PM »
Nice picks though I haven't gotten into Dehumanizer nearly as much as H&H or Mob Rules.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2014, 06:06:27 PM »
Definitely OK to put two albums in one spot! I did it a few times.

Great picks, though I'm not into Kamelot.

Off Dehumanizer I love Buried Alive! So Killer and THAT chorus!!

YES. I absolutely adore Buried Alive! Incredibly underrated Sabbath song right there! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2014, 06:10:59 PM »
Of the first 5 Ozzy Sabbath albums, I feel that SBS is one of the weaker ones out of the bunch, but they're all classics so it's still great. :tup I find MoR and Vol. 4 constantly fighting over the spot of my favorite Sabbath album though.

AJFA is all sorts of kick ass. One of their finest, and it's got hell of an atmosphere. :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2014, 07:16:57 PM »
The last four tracks on Dehumanizer are absolutely great.

Also much :metal :metal for Black Halo and AJFA.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2014, 06:17:47 AM »
The last four tracks on Dehumanizer are absolutely great.

"I" is brilliant in it's attitude and delivery. Great album! SBS also changed my attitude toward heavy metal back in the day for exactly the part Mister Gold mentions in his write-up.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2014, 01:31:46 PM »
Nice picks though I haven't gotten into Dehumanizer nearly as much as H&H or Mob Rules.

I only know a couple of songs on Dehumanizer. Will have to revisit as I've never heard the whole thing. Not sure why because I love DIO era Sabbath.  I had gone off DIO at the time too though, so maybe that's why.
I'm not the biggest Ozzy-Sabs fan and I'm not that familiar with SBS (except the title track) though I did hear it in my formative years along with all the other albums as a mate was a huge fan.

Black Halo is great.

AJFA - I'm not the biggest Metallica fan either. I know  there is some great stuff here but sound-wise its so shit and I found them to be such arseholes that I just didn't bother listening to them. They would slag off the music I liked which I always thought was short sighted because there was plenty of crossover between the "hair" bands and other metal. Not that Metallica suffered much  :biggrin:
I'm not saying that people have to be angels for me to like them, and I listen to bands where this is definitely not the case, but sometimes it just puts me off.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2014, 02:15:18 PM »
Lot's of great stuff on the last update!  Black Halo made my list, and Dehumanizer seriously kicks ass. 

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "It's the measure of a life"
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »

21. Rush - Clockwork Angels (2012)

I think many of us would agree that Clockwork Angels surprised a lot of Rush fans. Very few fans could have possibly thought that the band still had an album of this sort of quality still in them. It's incredibly consistent in its high quality, with several highlights that immediately shot straight up into my personal Top 10 Rush Songs ever. Surprisingly this is the band's first actual concept album and it's a great one.

The story seems to act as a metaphor for the struggles that drummer Neil Peart has gone through over the years, most notably the deaths of his first wife and his daughter in the late 1990's. I think that uphill struggle is probably what gave songs such as The Garden such an emotional potency. I often get teary eyed when I listen to that beautiful song.

20. Bruce Dickinson – Accident of Birth (1997)

Here’s another controversial opinion for the peanut gallery: Bruce Dickinson’s solo band in the mid-to-late Nineties was a better band than Iron Maiden ever was. Boom, I said it. :yarr There are only one or two Iron Maiden albums that I rank as high as or higher than this album and The Chemical Wedding tops them all. But that chat will come later…

Accident of Birth revived Bruce’s career and it is undoubtedly one of the best albums he’s ever performed on. It’s melodic, it’s heavy and it is a lot of fun. Songs like the title track, Road to Hell and Darkside of Aquarius take the classic Maiden sound and update them with modern sensibilities, while also injecting them with some of Bruce's smartest lyrics ever. It's very akin to what Judas Priest did a few years prior with Painkiller and it works here almost as well as it did on Painkiller.

19. Megadeth – Rust in Peace (1990)

I’m really tempted just to say “No comment” on this album. I see it on almost every single Top 50 Albums list that I have ever followed or gone through on this forum and we all know why: It’s Rust in Peace, for God’s sake. So yeah… No comment. :biggrin: 

Edit: Fixed it into the right order.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:59:55 PM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2014, 11:33:39 AM »
I'd given up on Rush tbh. Everything after Counterparts was awful to me, but CA was fantastic. Rush being Rush again. Some vocal hooks that didn't just sound like Geddy came up with them whilst yodeling along to the lyrics on the first read-through.

Rust In Peace is half an awesome album but several songs that don't hit the mark the same way.

I'm a late convert to AoB. Its ok but I'm not the biggest fan of Bruce solo. By the time he went solo I'd fallen out of love with what IM were doing too.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2014, 03:32:52 PM »
I think Geddy's vocal work (his style?) has gone way downhill since Counterparts.  I just don't like most of the way he sings now.  It's no different on CA.  But Clockwork Angels is a great album.  There are some flaws, for example I love most of The Garden, but the end refrain doesn't do it for me.  Glad to see it on this list.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »
Wasn't a big fan of CA, but the other two are classic, especially AOB.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »
Clockwork Angels is a good album, but Rush had set the bar so low, I wonder what effect that had on everyone's enjoyment. That said, it is quite solid.

What else to say about AoB and RiP. Two ESSENTIAL metal albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2014, 06:46:37 PM »
excellent update!!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2014, 07:32:20 PM »
Yes, FUCK YES, meh.

Never got into Rush. That album was the closest, but I still don't get why everyone smilees over them so much. Bruce Dickinson and Megadeth, on the other hand, now that's what I call an update! :tup

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2014, 07:57:46 PM »
It actually just occurred to me that I put CA in the wrong spot. It's supposed to go: 21. CA, 20. AoB and 19. RiP. My bad! *will fix momentarily* I think I put there because I knew going in that I was quoting The Garden for this update.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2014, 02:12:31 AM »
Yes, FUCK YES, meh.

Never got into Rush. That album was the closest, but I still don't get why everyone smilees over them so much. Bruce Dickinson and Megadeth, on the other hand, now that's what I call an update! :tup

I guess you just had to be there at the time when there was little else like it. They blazed the trail.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2014, 06:44:38 AM »
Nice update. :tup

CW was a pleasant surprise. The Garden and BU2B might be two of my favorite Rush songs now. The whole album is indeed pretty consistent and it blows my mind how these guys are still capable of pumping out something like this.

Good call on the Dickinson album. :metal Though I agree that TCW is his best solo album, I still say at least two Maiden records beat it out quite easily.

Yes, FUCK YES, meh.

Never got into Rush. That album was the closest, but I still don't get why everyone smilees over them so much.

Well, 2112 and A Farewell to Kings do exist. :P

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2014, 09:13:26 AM »
Clockwork Angels :tup

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "We Ride The Universe"
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2014, 12:13:29 PM »

18. Seventh Wonder – The Great Escape (2010)

It’s funny how both of Kamelot’s modern singers have released better albums in other bands than they have with Kamelot. For Tommy Karevik, it’s The Great Escape and for Roy Khan, it’s… well, you’ll see. Anyway, let’s talk about The Great Escape: I normally don’t care much about Dream Theater rip-offs. Bands like Circus Maximus are fine, but since I’m not a real big Dream Theater fan to begin with, there’s not much staying power in bands that are clearly overly influenced by them.

So what makes Seventh Wonder stand out? Well, it’s the level of restraint that I hear from them. You can tell that these guys could easily show off their technical prowess as musicians, but they hold back for the songs and play only what is absolutely necessary to make the songs great. On top of that is Tommy Karevik, one of the best modern progressive metal vocalists out there today. His vocal melodies are absolutely sublime.

Not to mention the incredible title track. As far as 20+ minute long epics go, The Great Escape takes the cake for me. It's a half-hour of non-stop prog metal glory.

17. Savatage – Hall of the Mountain King (1987)

Almost two years ago, I went on a summer trip down to my birthplace in Pensacola, Florida for the first time since I was one year old. Needless to say, I had a blast there. While it was far too hot for my liking, there was a lot more there for me to like about the place. Towards the end of my visit, I got to go to the mall and went to the record store there. I ended up making two blind purchases, which would go on to introduce me to two of my favorite bands ever. This was one of those albums.

Ever since I've discovered Savatage, they've gone on to become one of my absolute favorite metal bands ever. Both eras with either Jon Oliva or Zak Stevens is fantastic and Criss Oliva was one of the most underrated guitarists of his time. There's a good reason that Dave Mustaine supposedly wanted Criss to join him in Megadeth right around the time he made Rust in Peace.

16. Judas Priest – Defenders of the Faith (1984)

While I’m not normally a big fan of Priest’s material from the 80’s, there’s no denying the greatness that is Defenders of the Faith. It’s one of the band’s finest albums, period. It’s dark, it’s heavy and it’s flat-out awesome. The first half, or even the first three-quarters of the album, is incredibly consistent. It’s just a series of classic song after classic song.

It's listening to albums like Defenders or Painkiller that show how great a band Judas Priest used to be and how much the latest material from their forthcoming album pales in comparison. There's an attitude and mood on these sorts of albums that the band just doesn't seem to capture anymore, which is a damn shame.

In any event, I'm grateful for the absolute classic material that this band did bring us all back in the day. It's absolutely magical stuff.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2014, 01:38:06 PM »
Great Escape = :tup

Hall of the Mountain King = :metal

Defenders of the Faith = :letam: :2metal: :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
I dont know seventh wonder, but Savatage and Priest are classics

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2014, 03:57:13 PM »
I dont know seventh wonder, but Savatage and Priest are classics

Do yourself a favor and check this song out ASAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6WLAckjO0M
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
That Seventh Wonder is pretty good, but I prefer Mercy Falls.  Hall of the Mountain King is a stomping metal classic and DOTF would be top 3 JP for me.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
Definitely prefer Mercy Falls over TGE, but they're both great. Excellent choice. :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »
Agreed with those who enjoy Mercy Falls more than TGE. Although, at least for me, that's more to do with the soft spot I have for intricate concept albums. Still, the first 6 tracks on TGE are my go-to fix when I'm in need of some Seventh Wonder but don't have enough time for a full album. While admittedly really bad on my part, SW is probably my favorite singalong music in the genre. Can't wait to see what they put out next.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2014, 06:07:22 PM »
That Seventh Wonder is pretty good, but I prefer Mercy Falls.  Hall of the Mountain King is a stomping metal classic and DOTF would be top 3 JP for me.
Definitely prefer Mercy Falls over TGE, but they're both great. Excellent choice. :tup
Agreed with those who enjoy Mercy Falls more than TGE. Although, at least for me, that's more to do with the soft spot I have for intricate concept albums. Still, the first 6 tracks on TGE are my go-to fix when I'm in need of some Seventh Wonder but don't have enough time for a full album. While admittedly really bad on my part, SW is probably my favorite singalong music in the genre. Can't wait to see what they put out next.

I actually love Mercy Falls a lot too. I would have included it on the list, but I never stopped to think of where it'd fit in exactly and what other album it'd tie with. I haven't heard it in quite awhile actually, so maybe it'd even tie with TGE. It's definitely pretty close between both albums though. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2014, 08:57:56 PM »
Great update  :metal 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2014, 08:32:55 AM »
I bought the digital versions of TGE and Mercy Falls but they are both in iPod limbo land.

I should revisit.

I am not a Savatage fan at all but I love Defenders. It's a great album.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2014, 09:02:38 AM »
Great update  :metal

Thanks, man! :tup

I bought the digital versions of TGE and Mercy Falls but they are both in iPod limbo land.

I should revisit.

I am not a Savatage fan at all but I love Defenders. It's a great album.

Definitely revisit both TGE and Mercy Falls. I ended up checking out the latter for the first time in quite awhile and fell in love with it all over again. I think we might even see it on this list yet! :biggrin: If not, definitely expect it to be on my next version of the list in a year or two from now.

Shame about Savatage, I love 'em! But yeah, Defenders is an incredible album! :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Great Escape = :tup

Hall of the Mountain King = :metal

Defenders of the Faith = :letam: :2metal: :metal

This.
3 great albums right there.
DotF might be my favourite studio Priest album (not counting Unleashed In The East as its at least supposed to be live).

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2014, 03:34:10 PM »
anyone think Defenders of the Faith's album cover is reminiscent of ELP's Tarkus?  Weird animals with tank treads?  Am I missing some established subculture or something?  anyway, that Priest pick is solid.