Author Topic: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Here at the End of All Things"  (Read 46886 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "OH, I SEE HIS FACE!"
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 08:35:04 PM »
Rising was top 5 for me so  :tup. Where Power metal was invented. I agree on Gates Of Babylon too, but not on your opinion of Dio's Sabbath albums. For me if you join the best songs from both on one album it would be a top 10 for me, but both have plenty of filler.

You do realize Dio had three Sabbath albums, right? :lol But, I guess it comes down to differences of opinions. I'm biased as hell on the matter, considering it was the Dio-era of Sabbath that got me into metal in the first place. :metal

Transcendence is a great Queensryche-esque album.  :tup :tup. I'd take 80s/early 90s Tate over Midnight as I really only like two of their albums (the other being Strange & Beautiful) and he always seemed to be "full on". And Queensryche were my favourite band at that time.

And Karma is my favourite Kamelot album so  :tup :tup  :tup

Just can't get into Tool or King Crimson.

I think what gave Queensryche the edge was their "greater than the sum of its parts" element. Tate has always been a bit of an iffy singer for me. But the band as a whole is killer. :tup

Karma is terrific! :tup

Let me pick up on that slack. Those Tool and King Crimson albums are fantastic. Excellent choices. :tup

Rainbow as well :metal

Thanks man! :tup

When I saw the new thread title, I instantly knew that it was something I was familiar with - heck, I was even singing the phrase in my head! - but I didn't remember until I finished reading your update that it was from Stargazer. Which is an awesome track with a godlike solo.

The rest are pretty cool, though I'd say this is the weakest update for me. I like Red, but for various reasons, I have never really gotten around to checking out Crimson Glory and Kamelot (I know, I know!), and Tool STILL haven't clicked with me. I hear lots of things I like, but I never really feel the urge to revisit their stuff all that much.

I had a feeling people would recognize it, in some form or fashion. It's definitely one of Dio's most memorable moments, imo. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
Rising was top 5 for me

Liar!

it was #6
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 01:03:27 AM »
I think the first two Crimson Glory albums are two of the best from the 80's

Rising is fantastic.  Cool picks.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »
Rising was top 5 for me

Liar!

it was #6

Was it? Ahh well, I just wrote it, I didn't read it. Glad you were paying attention!  :biggrin:

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Psst! Hey, c'mon man, wake up!"
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »

30. Iron Maiden – The X Factor (1995)

This album has a ton of flaws. I won’t argue that. The production is really unusual, the lyrics and music are incredibly repetitive and Blaze is nowhere near as good of a singer as Bruce is. I recognize that. And yet, I feel that this is one of the best albums Iron Maiden has ever done, if not their best. What Blaze lacks in vocal prowess, he makes up for in sheer emotion. The production, while being incredibly unusual, definitely sets a special mood on the album and while the lyrics and music are incredibly repetitive, you can feel the intense emotions behind them. It took me over five years to get this album. If you ask me, this album is the textbook definition of a “flawed masterpiece.” Everything is both a flaw and yet results in something incredible.

However I think it would probably take the average listener quite awhile to 'get' this album. It took me five years to 'get' it.

29. Queensryche – Promised Land (1994)

I figured I would give you guys a fair warning: you won’t see Operation: Mindcrime on this list. There are at least three other albums by the band that I rank above it, including this album. Promised Land is terrific. As I have seen others describe it before, Promised Land showcases the band's Pink Floyd influences more than any of their other albums... and until last year's album with Todd La Torre, it was also the last album the band had put out that was anywhere near decent.

The production on this album is sublime. It sounds enormous without hurting your ears and it travels across plenty of soundscapes. While most of the songs themselves aren't necessarily the most classic material the band ever wrote, they create an overall unit that transcends most of the band's other work.

28. Van Halen – For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (1991)

As far as I can tell, this was probably my very first “favorite” album ever. I fell in love with Van Halen during middle school and I always had an appreciation for the Sammy Hagar material. This album is my favorite of theirs as I feel that it’s the “best of both worlds.” Pun intended. It has Sammy on vocals, but it also harkens back to the classic Roth era musically and lyrically. It’s a traditional Van Halen album with the band’s best singer.

Sure, the music off of the original DLR albums was more 'groundbreaking' and perhaps had better lyrics, but there's just something about F.U.C.K. that really stands out for me. When I think about the course of the band's career, I see this particular era of the band as being a sort of renaissance moment for the band. They were going back to their roots, but they were approaching it a bit differently.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2014, 05:56:12 PM »
I'm no fan of Van Halen, but the other two are stellar.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 06:00:33 PM »
I'm no fan of Van Halen, but the other two are stellar.

Fair enough. :) Van Halen isn't for everyone and if I hadn't gotten into them when I did, I doubt I'd be anywhere nearly as attached to the album as I am now. There's definitely a certain amount of nostalgia that goes into my love for the album. :tup

I have a feeling that my inclusion of TXF might be a tad controversial! :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 06:16:34 PM »
Great to see QR and VH get a mention , even if they are two of my lower ranked albums from each of them .  I'm not including the post-Promised Land shite in that statement - they don't count  ;D

Iron Maiden-  I've never connected with them like I should on paper so I'll leave that one to others to digest  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2014, 09:00:31 PM »
Great description and write up for X factor!!

Promised land is a masterpiece.

Im a big fan of VH DLR era, but only a casual fan of Sammy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »
Three great bands, three curious choices. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2014, 10:36:31 AM »

I have a feeling folks might think the same thing with some of my other choices on the list. :lol

Great description and write up for X factor!!

Im a big fan of VH DLR era, but only a casual fan of Sammy.

Thanks! :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
I figured I would give you guys a fair warning: you won’t see Operation: Mindcrime on this list.

:'(

But Promised Land is terrific so you at least redeemed yourself a bit. :lol :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2014, 05:40:29 PM »

I have a feeling folks might think the same thing with some of my other choices on the list. :lol

So you're going to have Caress Of Steel, Technical Ecstasy, and Coda? :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2014, 05:43:26 PM »

We don't disagree on much, brother, but PL is an unmitigated DISASTER! :)

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2014, 05:32:55 AM »

So you're going to have Caress Of Steel, Technical Ecstasy, and Coda? :metal

While I actually am quite fond of CoS, none of those albums are the list. Nice guesses though! :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »
2/3 aint bad. X Factor is all kinds of awful. The other two albums are fine, but I prefer others by the same bands. FUCK may be my favourite Sammy era VH, up there with Balance.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2014, 06:02:49 AM »
Fuck yeah on TXF.  A lot of people know how I feel about that album so well done on it making your top 30.

X Factor is all kinds of awful.

Bah!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2014, 09:39:54 AM »
You are right Promised Land is one of the best sounding albums ever.  I love it.  Too bad the middle of the album sags so much, preventing it from reaching higher on my list.  If there were a list made up of "albums with the best group of 4 songs on it" I think it would be there though :P

And FUCK is a great listen as well.  Not quite classic VH, but I think my favorite of the Hagar albums.  I think the guitar sound is sort of weird actually, but Hagar's singing is great, and Alex gives a great performance as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2014, 10:01:51 AM »
Alex was an excellent drummer 

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2014, 10:36:14 AM »
Fuck yeah on TXF.  A lot of people know how I feel about that album so well done on it making your top 30.

:tup

You are right Promised Land is one of the best sounding albums ever.  I love it.  Too bad the middle of the album sags so much, preventing it from reaching higher on my list.  If there were a list made up of "albums with the best group of 4 songs on it" I think it would be there though :P

And FUCK is a great listen as well.  Not quite classic VH, but I think my favorite of the Hagar albums.  I think the guitar sound is sort of weird actually, but Hagar's singing is great, and Alex gives a great performance as well.

Eh, I dunno. I love PL as a whole. :justjen

The guitar sound is a little different, but I actually really like it. :metal

Alex was an excellent drummer 

Definitely.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "CHA CHA CHA!"
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2014, 03:56:49 PM »

27. Yes – Fragile (1971)

This is the greatest bass guitar album that I have ever heard. As I mentioned in another thread, I just started learning how to play the bass and I’m hoping to somehow learn how to play Roundabout on the bass within a year’s time. I absolutely adore Chris Squire’s work on this album. His bass guitar snarls and roars with his terrific shredding. This isn't to say that Fragile's only plus is Squire's performance; the whole band is in top form. As I mentioned earlier, this album is also a strong contender for Bill Bruford's best performance ever too.

More importantly though, I feel that this is the album where Yes really became Yes. It's the introduction to what most fans consider to be their classic lineup, and it's also the start of Roger Dean's many stunning and colorful album covers for the band. While they may have been more artistically creative presented higher peaks on some of the albums that soon followed, only one of them really tops Fragile for me.

26. Queensryche – Rage for Order (1986)

This is Queensryche’s masterpiece. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; Queensryche is normally at their best when writing short, concise songs that are packed with progressive tendencies. No album demonstrates that quite as well as Rage for Order does. Neil Kernon’s production is unusual and atmospheric. It brings films such as Blade Runner to mind, while the music and lyrics themselves project a strange blend of vampires, cyber-stuff and political issues. It’s modern, yet gothic.

25. Yes – Relayer (1974)

While I love Fragile for its bass work and shorter epics, there’s just something about Relayer that makes it stand out for me. It’s just so different from the rest of the band’s classic work, yet it’s still inherently Yes. Patrick Moraz’s work on this album is absolutely sublime, Alan White gives the best performance in his career with Yes and Steve Howe changes things up a little by switching to a modded Telecaster for a twangy tone.

The music frequently swings back and forth between chaos and serenity and it becomes more than the sum of its parts. For example, consider "Soon," the final section of The Gates of Delirium, which is quite possibly the most beautiful piece of music Yes ever recorded: while it's certainly a fine listen on its own, it is made far more powerful by its two preceding parts, which are more chaotic and rocking. Then of course, my personal highlight of the album, Sound Chaser is Yes's little tribute or take on the Mahavishnu Orchestra. It's sporadic, manic and absolutely bonkers. I love it. The "Cha Cha Cha!" may be annoying to some, but there's something about it that just gives me a huge smile whenever I listen to it. :hefdaddy

Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2014, 04:04:32 PM »
Not a Yes fan. I still remember the shock when RFO came out, and I'm not just talking about the band photo.

That album has really aged well, though, and it is really quite visionary.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2014, 04:42:28 PM »
Neither are my favorite Yes album, but both are still stunningly amazing. Can't go wrong with this update. :tup

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »
I still remember the shock when RFO came out, and I'm not just talking about the band photo.

:lol  I wonder what the band thinks when they look at that photo now.

RFO is a great album, and I don't think it really sounds like any other band.  great choice.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
I still remember the shock when RFO came out, and I'm not just talking about the band photo.

RFO is a great album, and I don't think it really sounds like any other band.  great choice.

It's a very special album, no question about that! :metal For the record, the third QR album I rank over O:M is The Warning. It's right in the same general area of my rankings for PL and RfO; my preference order generally shifts around over the course of the year, with RfO generally being my definite favorite.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2014, 10:20:46 PM »
RFO is one of the coolest albums Ive ever heard- I like the Blade Runner analogy.

Very little interest in Yes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2014, 05:31:39 AM »

It's a very special album, no question about that! :metal For the record, the third QR album I rank over O:M is The Warning. It's right in the same general area of my rankings for PL and RfO; my preference order generally shifts around over the course of the year, with RfO generally being my definite favorite.

I love Warning!! I posted Warning and O:M in the same spot on my Top 50.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »
I'm no great Yes fan.

But RFO - now we're talking. Made my top 5 (I think?  :biggrin:). Just an awesome prog metal album. I love all the atmospheric stuff. A weird, cold album. Took me a ood while to appreciate it. I talked my mate into buying it one day as I'd loved The Warning and he had some cash to spare on release date. He absolutely hated it and I felt so Bad I bought it off him , even though I didn't like it either initially. Once I got used to it though, wow, just a genre classic.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2014, 04:41:10 PM »
Youre right Lowdz, RFO is a pretty weird cold album.  Like PL, it seems to be an album you have to listen to a few times to get it.  But it is awesome.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2014, 04:41:52 PM »
I still don't get PL! :)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2014, 04:43:23 PM »
I still don't get PL! :)

I know its been 20 years, but give it one more shot :)

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2014, 09:08:11 PM »

I know its been 20 years, but give it one more shot :)

Holy crap, you're right!  hard to believe it's been 20 years.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Breathing Nevermore"
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2014, 04:46:44 PM »

24. Kamelot – The Black Halo (2005)

This is one of those rare instances where I wholeheartedly agree with the general opinion; this album is undoubtedly Kamelot’s greatest work. Roy Khan gives one of his absolute best performances ever as a vocalist, his lyrics recreate a haunting version of the story of Faust and make it resonate with the listener.

As someone who struggles frequently with religious beliefs and the meaning of life, I really wish there were more albums like The Black Halo out there. It's easy to poke fun at how bad a lot of Christian music is these days, but I also get frustrated with songs that are on the other end of the spectrum too. To have songs like "Soul Society" or especially "Abandoned" communicate a desire to want to know God or find purpose and also recognize and bring to life the struggle that comes with faith. More songs should talk about that middle ground between religion and atheism, as I really think a lot of people out there today would identify with it.

23. Black Sabbath – Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)/Dehumanizer (1992)

a. While I appreciate the Ozzy era, I do prefer the Dio era by a large margin. After all, that’s the band that got me into heavy metal to begin with. That being said, I felt that I needed to represent both eras of the band in this list, so they each get one album from me. Coincidentally, I also felt that this album in particular is the one Ozzy album that rivals the quality of the Dio albums for me.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is the creative masterpiece of the original lineup. Ozzy is actually a pretty solid vocalist here and the rest of the band is on fire. The latter portion of the opening title track is easily the best thing to ever come from the Ozzy era. That sludgy riff is absolutely incredible. "WHEEERRRE CAN YOU RUN TO?!" always has a habit of sending chills down my spine. Definitely Ozzy's finest hour.

b. On a personal level, this is my favorite Black Sabbath album. As I said before, I got into the band because of the Dio lineup. I initially picked up a greatest hits album of the Dio material and eventually decided to pick up Dehumanizer, since it wasn’t as properly represented on the album as the other two Dio albums were. I was quite surprised when I heard the whole thing. Musically, the band definitely sounds more like the original lineup, albeit with a more modern production, more contemporary influences and Dio on vocals. This is probably my favorite performance from the man; he just sounds so incredibly pissed off and heavy on this album. His lyrical style was also updated and it fit the music like a glove.

The album also took on a more personal relevance to me earlier this year. Over the course of the past winter, my family and I slowly noticed that our beloved nine year old Golden Retriever, Scout, was acting more and more odd. She wouldn't eat her food, she wasn't nearly as active physically as she normally was (she was so energetic that most people often guessed she was still a puppy). Then we found out that Scout had cancer and likely would have to put her down the next morning. I spent some time with her, to say my good byes and what-not, but I also spent a fair amount of time that night and the following days listening to Dehumanizer to vent out my frustrations and pain.

22. Metallica - … And Justice For All (1988)

While the production on this album sucks, I think that more and more people these days are recognizing that this album is Metallica’s high water mark. This album definitely showcases the emotional backlash the band had in reaction to Cliff Burton’s tragic death. The band manages to sound both incredibly pissed off and incredibly cold. Whether that's because of the production, or because of the grandiose riffs or because of the dark subjects discussed on this album, I'm not sure.

It is a shame though that the band took out their frustrations and pain on Jason by cutting him out of the production of this album. He does some pretty sweet stuff on this album; I recently listened to some fan-edited versions of the songs off this album with an improved bass sound. While it was a rough edit and hardly perfect, it did show some great work by Jason. A personal favorite moment of mine is this little thing he does during the chorus on the title track. While the rest of the band does a basic riff, Jason mimics James's vocal melody on the bass, adding this really sweet "creeping" effect to the song. This album happens to be my best friend's all-time favorite album, so when I showed him that video, he freaked out and told me the experience was like hearing the song for the very first time all over again. The band would be very wise to go back and release a better quality remix of the album.

As for the actual songs on the album, Blackened is one of my all-time favorite songs ever and is to me, the greatest Metallica song ever. It's the perfect opener. :metal Dark as hell and incredibly apocalyptic.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2014, 04:47:57 PM »
That's a hell of an update.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2014, 04:55:52 PM »
That's a hell of an update.

Thanks! :tup :metal There's some classic albums coming up in some of the next updates and the trend of odd picks will continue. :biggrin:
Where I, the Cosmic Sea