Author Topic: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Here at the End of All Things"  (Read 46872 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Fuck, another Conception!

Yup! And if I could let myself do three albums or more for this list ( :biggrin: ), there'd be at least one other Conception album somewhere on this list too (Parallel Minds).

If you like Kamelot and Ark, you need to check this band out! :hefdaddy

Goddammit am I behind on this. That Arch/Matheos release is great, I love love love APSOG and AMOLAD, and that Conception album will be checked out, mainly because the description of the guitarist instantly gave me a boner.

Been wondering where you were, man! :tup And yeah, Ostby has become one of my personal favorite guitarists ever. Love his work. :metal :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "HE. IS. THE. PAINKILLAH!!!!"
« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2014, 09:02:32 PM »

8. Judas Priest - Painkiller (1990)

What can I say? It’s Painkiller.

This album is one of the absolute best albums in metal history. Right when it seemed like Judas Priest was out for the count, they released this jewel of an album. This isn't just the sound of a band updating themselves to match their younger, more youthful rival bands. This is the sound of a band on the precipice of self-destruction. This is the sound of a band that's at their wits' end and they're going the road of Mad Max, snapping loose and giving a great big "F*** OFF" to the rest of the world.

As most of us already know, the band was in the process of a nasty legal debacle while they made this album. On top of that, their past two albums had not been nearly as well-received by their fans as they'd hoped them to be and they'd lost their decade-long drummer. All the while, bands such as Metallica and King Diamond were pummeling the scene like there was no tomorrow, making Priest seem like a rather outdated band.

And then, like a miracle, this album happened. Something in the whole band snapped. They hired a new drummer, one who was capable of playing far more technical and complex stuff than his predecessor ever was capable of. A drummer whose talents echoed back to Priest's previous drummers in the 70's.

The whole band is in top shape. KK and Glenn are in incredible form, Ian is doing his usual thing and Rob gives the performance of his entire career.

While I think there may be another album or two that I would rank as the quintessential metal album, Painkiller is certainly a valid candidate for the rank and its title track is undoubtedly the quintessential metal song.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 09:34:52 PM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #177 on: May 30, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »
FASTER THAN A BULLET
TERRYFING SCREAM
ENRAGED AND FULL OF ANGER
HE'S HALF MAN AND HALF MACHINE

While I love this album, the lyrics always make me chuckle. Priest have never been one for great lyrics (though they have certainly had their moments - Beyond the Realms of Death comes to mind), the ones of this album are really cheese topped with extra cheesy cheese. Luckily the rest of the album is so good that I don't care. Some of the best guitar playing in metal, that's for sure.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2014, 09:27:42 PM »
 :metal :metal   :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2014, 10:52:47 PM »
Amazing album. I greatly approve of this choice.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #181 on: May 31, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
Painkiller blew me away when it came out. Priest needed to come out swinging with this album and they surely did. They first leg of that your was great. Had Megadeth (RiP tour) and Testament open.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #182 on: May 31, 2014, 04:28:35 PM »
Whilst not my favourite JP album (that would probably be Defenders), its a great album. It's metal alright.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #183 on: May 31, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
FASTER THAN A BULLET
TERRYFING SCREAM
ENRAGED AND FULL OF ANGER
HE'S HALF MAN AND HALF MACHINE

While I love this album, the lyrics always make me chuckle. Priest have never been one for great lyrics (though they have certainly had their moments - Beyond the Realms of Death comes to mind), the ones of this album are really cheese topped with extra cheesy cheese. Luckily the rest of the album is so good that I don't care. Some of the best guitar playing in metal, that's for sure.

Yeah, that's definitely true. I think the 70's albums generally had the best lyrics from the band and the stuff on Painkiller is cheesier than most pizzas I've eaten. It's for that reason that the album isn't ranked even higher than it is.

Painkiller blew me away when it came out. Priest needed to come out swinging with this album and they surely did. They first leg of that your was great. Had Megadeth (RiP tour) and Testament open.

Holy shit. TAC, I continue to envy your incredible luck.

Whilst not my favourite JP album (that would probably be Defenders), its a great album. It's metal alright.

It's definitely pretty close between Defenders and Painkiller for me. Both are great albums! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "A Man Only Sees What He Wants To See"
« Reply #184 on: May 31, 2014, 07:40:24 PM »

7. Savatage - Edge of Thorns (1993)

Two years ago, I went back to my hometown of Pensacola, Florida for the first time since I was a baby. As I've already detailed in this countdown, I ended up making two blind purchases during that visit that led me to discovering two bands who would go on to become two of my personal favorite bands ever; Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King and Arch/Matheos' Sympathetic Resonance (which led me to discovering Fates Warning).

After falling in love with both albums, I ended up checking out other works by those bands. I really came to like Savatage right away. They were heavy and technical, while also being incredibly melodic and symphonic. There was an intelligence to them that wasn't quite present in some of their modern successors, such as Nightwish or Kamelot.

I still remember hearing Edge of Thorns for the first time. To be blunt, I despised it. :lol For some reason, Zak Stevens sounded incredibly dull and generic on the opening title track and I mentally shut out the rest of the album as I groaned and waited to go back to listening to Gutter Ballet. I decided then that I just wasn't as interested in latter Savatage as I was in the earlier band. Jon Oliva was the voice of the band and that was that.

A year later, I ended up checking out some of the other Stevens albums and found myself really enjoying them. But I told myself that I still hated Edge of Thorns and that I would just avoid that album at all costs.

Shortly after that, right around the time Queensryche's debut album with Todd La Torre came out, a fellow member here (I think it was jjrock88? Either him or jammindude) posted a live video either here or at the Breakdown Room of Todd making a guest appearance at a Jon Oliva's Pain concert in honor of his deceased friend, Matt La Porte. Sure enough, the song Todd sang was Edge of Thorns. For whatever reason, the song finally clicked with me. I must have watched and rewatched that video so many times.

Finally, I decided to give Edge of Thorns another try. This time, it all clicked. Savatage was in top form, with Criss giving a final performance so incredible that it alone made his death all the more tragic. Zak Stevens blows down the gates with his pipes on this album and sealed his spot in my mind as Savatage's vocalist.

But was it my favorite Savatage album?

At first, the answer was a definite "No." I finally loved the album, but I found myself often wishing that it was a tad heavier, like A Handful of Rain or Hall of the Mountain King. Or perhaps more complex like Streets. At that stage, I simply could not decide on a favorite album. All of them had something great to give.

Over the past winter though, I suddenly got nostalgic. I kept thinking back to my trip to Pensacola and how it felt like home to me, even though I had no memories of actually living there. Then I remembered my years living in and many trips back to Charleston, South Carolina. The Spanish moss, the swamps, so on and so forth. All of that led my mind to dwell back to Edge of Thorns... and I gave it a listen for the first time in awhile. Then I listened to it again and again and again.

Edge of Thorns fits my memories of those places so perfectly that it has come to resonate with me as the childhood album I never actually heard. As a result, while it isn't the most complex or the heaviest album Savatage ever did, it resonates with me the most.

The final reason I award this album the seventh spot on my Top 50 Albums list... My grandfather passed away on the exact same day that Criss Oliva did: October 17th, 1993. After finally fulfilling his dream of learning how to fly by piloting for what would be his first and last time, my grandfather dropped dead in a hanger from a heart attack.

I never knew him. I was less than a year old at that point, having only been born that Feburary, but apparently my grandfather became an incredibly different man in the final months of his life after I was born. I've heard plenty of stories from my dad about this. He'd gone from being a cold man and father to a bright and energetic grandfather full of optimism and sought to redeem himself in the eyes of his son.

I find it incredibly eerie that one of my all-time favorite guitarists not only came from my home state, but also that he died the exact same day as my grandfather.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: May 31, 2014, 07:59:16 PM »
Holy shit - now you really are on my wavelength. Great to see this album get a mention.  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2014, 09:05:16 PM »
I'm a little like you were, I think. I'm still in the phase that I don't like Zak's work in Savatage all that much - my favourite Savatage releases are Gutter Ballet and Poets and Madmen. Not giving up on the Zak phase though, as there is a lot of stuff there that I dig musically... I just don't dig his vox AT ALL. Edge of Thorns (the track) is great though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #187 on: June 01, 2014, 03:23:36 AM »
Great pick again.
My 1st Sava-album was Gutter Ballet when it came out. 'd never heard anything by them but was drawn in by the cover. I loved the album but wasn't that enamoured with Jon's voice. That was the weak link for me. Still, it didn't put me off as the songs and the atmosphere were strong. Streets cam along and that was an even better album, even Jon sounded great.
When I heard Jon wasn't the singer anymore I was hoping they traded up, and they did. WHilst not the greatest vocalist either Zac was good enough.
This is a very good Savatage album - everything from HotMK has been at least good though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: June 01, 2014, 03:59:44 AM »
Read the thread title and nearly shit myself as I knew it was EOT.  Such an incredible album, with simply some of the greatest guitar playing I have ever heard.  He Carves His Stone is one of my fav songs of all time.  So underrated.

Painkiller of course, is perfect.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: June 01, 2014, 04:32:22 AM »
He Carves His Stone is one of my fav songs of all time.  So underrated.

Same.......if I was naming the thread for this album it would've been "well a man's gotta do what a man must do"  ;D

Another little highlight for me of Criss's playing was his propensity to throw in a sudden change of pace and for that reason another fave for me is the solo section in Follow Me and how that moves the song in a different direction.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: June 01, 2014, 05:48:59 AM »
Follow Me is probably second best for me.  The way his playing just builds and builds in that song is incredible.  Another one is the melodic and perfectly phrased solo in Miles Away.

Also, Degrees of Sanity with it's key change from F# to the wonderful A minor tapping.  Also, the twists and turns of the solo in the title track.  Fuck, the whole thing is filled with guitar beauty.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #191 on: June 01, 2014, 08:56:22 AM »
Follow Me is probably second best for me.  The way his playing just builds and builds in that song is incredible.  Another one is the melodic and perfectly phrased solo in Miles Away.

Also, Degrees of Sanity with it's key change from F# to the wonderful A minor tapping.  Also, the twists and turns of the solo in the title track.  Fuck, the whole thing is filled with guitar beauty.

My favorite song on the album is definitely He Carves His Stone. Follow Me is a close second though. :tup :metal

Criss definitely went out on a high note. Probably his best playing on any 'Tage album.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: June 01, 2014, 02:27:23 PM »
Hell yeah!!

My favorite from Savatage.  The whole disc kicks ass, especially the title track.  Awesome pick

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #193 on: June 01, 2014, 07:35:45 PM »
Hell yeah!!

My favorite from Savatage.  The whole disc kicks ass, especially the title track.  Awesome pick

Thanks man! As I mentioned in the article, I'm pretty sure you had a role in my loving this disk! So thanks for that as well! :metal :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "She's Waiting For You"
« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2014, 07:51:11 PM »

6. Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black (1999), Dead Heart in a Dead World (2000)

a. Nevermore was one of the very first metal bands I ever got into, along with Black Sabbath, Megadeth and Metallica. In fact, I'm pretty sure Nevermore was the first progressive metal band I ever got into too. Not only was I blown away by Jeff Loomis's incredible skills as a guitarist, but I loved how song-oriented the band was too. It was all very technical, yet also very tasteful. Like probably a lot of other people, it was This Godless Endeavor that got me into the band, but it soon dropped to around third place in my personal ranking of Nevermore's albums as I explored their work.

Without a shadow of a doubt, Nevermore's absolute best album is Dreaming Neon Black. Bar none. It is quite possibly the most 'dense' album I have ever listened to. Whenever I give it a whirl, I immediately get a physical reaction listening to it. I feel like I'm drowning in the music, be it because of the album's haunting conceptual story or because of the avant garde style production by Neil Kernon. There are only a select few albums out there in the world that are better than this album.

b. While Dreaming Neon Black is my favorite of Nevermore's works, it is admittedly not an album that I can just listen to at any given time. I really have to be in the mood to listen to it. While this somewhat applies to Nevermore as a whole, due to their incredibly nihilistic nature, it is especially true for Dreaming Neon Black.

When I'm in the mood for Nevermore, but not Dreaming Neon Black, I go for Dead Heart in a Dead World. There are so many awesome songs on that album, including what is probably my favorite Nevermore song, The River Dragon Has Come.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2014, 08:03:40 PM »
I may be on my own here but I've never understood the fuss about Nevermore.  They're good at what they do , quite listenable metal but that's about it for me.  I find it all rather cold and am yet to hear a Nevermore song that really draws me in.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #196 on: June 01, 2014, 08:07:21 PM »
I may be on my own here but I've never understood the fuss about Nevermore.  They're good at what they do , quite listenable metal but that's about it for me.  I find it all rather cold and am yet to hear a Nevermore song that really draws me in.

There is definitely a coldness to Nevermore. I think that's probably why I can only listen to them from time to time and not as often as I can listen to my other favorite bands. But when I am in the mood? Nevermore is the shit.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: June 01, 2014, 08:35:21 PM »
Funny how neither of those two albums would even be in consideration for my favourite Nevermore release (ever-lasting battle between TGE and TPOE), I find it very very hard to care about that, simply due to the fact that both of them are so ridiculously awesome anyway. No album with The Heart Collector, The River Dragon Has Come and Engines of Hate or I Am the Dog, Dreaming Neon Black and Deconstruction could ever be anything less than a stellar release.

NEVERMORE TO FEEL THE PAIN
THE HEART COLLECTOR SANG
AND I WON'T BE FEELING HOLLOW
FOR SO LONG

:metal :metal :metal + dem feelz

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #198 on: June 01, 2014, 08:40:13 PM »
Funny how neither of those two albums would even be in consideration for my favourite Nevermore release (ever-lasting battle between TGE and TPOE), I find it very very hard to care about that, simply due to the fact that both of them are so ridiculously awesome anyway. No album with The Heart Collector, The River Dragon Has Come and Engines of Hate or I Am the Dog, Dreaming Neon Black and Deconstruction could ever be anything less than a stellar release.

NEVERMORE TO FEEL THE PAIN
THE HEART COLLECTOR SANG
AND I WON'T BE FEELING HOLLOW
FOR SO LONG

:metal :metal :metal + dem feelz

I really need to listen to TPoE more often. I've heard it a few times before and I've always liked it, but I've never paid much attention to it for some reason. But yeah, just about any Nevermore album is awesome. To quote an old friend of mine, "A bad Nevermore album is still far better an album than most bands will ever put out anyway."

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think my Top 5 is going to look like? :biggrin: :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: June 01, 2014, 08:45:06 PM »
The only one that I feel comfortable on being there is Fates Warning's Awaken the Guardian (or Spectre... dammit, just remembered that that one exists as well among the Arch-era albums... well that and Night on Brocken, but I sincerely hope it's NOT that one) and The Sound of Perseverance... if that hasn't been on the list already, too lazy to go back and check. Would have thought that Dreaming Neon Black would be in the Top 5, but obviously it isn't. I'd also normally think of a DT record, but I think you told me once you're not that big a DT fan, so I wouldn't hold out for that either.

EDIT: By the way, I'm listening to Edge of Thorns again, and I'm finding it a lot better than I remember it being. The guitar playing is definitely awesome, and I'm liking Zak much more this time around. I doubt it will beat Poets and Madmen for me, though, there's just something magical about that album. :heart

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: June 01, 2014, 08:49:43 PM »
There's already been 2 DT albums which is the limit.

I have no idea - every time you're spot on my taste the next one disturbs the equilibrium  ;D

Perhaps Awaken The Guardian and some Symphony X?

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #201 on: June 01, 2014, 08:56:04 PM »
The only one that I feel comfortable on being there is Fates Warning's Awaken the Guardian (or Spectre... dammit, just remembered that that one exists as well among the Arch-era albums... well that and Night on Brocken, but I sincerely hope it's NOT that one) and The Sound of Perseverance... if that hasn't been on the list already, too lazy to go back and check. Would have thought that Dreaming Neon Black would be in the Top 5, but obviously it isn't. I'd also normally think of a DT record, but I think you told me once you're not that big a DT fan, so I wouldn't hold out for that either.

EDIT: By the way, I'm listening to Edge of Thorns again, and I'm finding it a lot better than I remember it being. The guitar playing is definitely awesome, and I'm liking Zak much more this time around. I doubt it will beat Poets and Madmen for me, though, there's just something magical about that album. :heart
There's already been 2 DT albums which is the limit.

I have no idea - every time you're spot on my taste the next one disturbs the equilibrium  ;D

Perhaps Awaken The Guardian and some Symphony X?

I already put up my two favorite DT albums on the list, Awaken and Six Degrees. They were pretty early on in the list. :lol

I can also confirm that Night on Brocken is not in this list. :tup :lol I actually have a tie in my spirit for what my favorite Fates Warning album is (one is Awaken the Guardian, the other is another Alder album), so I've had a bit of a struggle deciding which one would be up here. But in spirit, they're both there in their spot, since I already included A Pleasant Shade of Gray (which I see as being Jim Matheos' creative masterpiece and the most ambitious Alder album).

Glad to hear you're enjoying Edge! And yeah, P&M is a great album. I need to listen to it again. Haven't dug it up in awhile.

Here's a hint for tomorrow's update... :biggrin:

I'll be very surprised and impressed if anyone guesses what's next. :biggrin:
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: June 01, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »
 :omg: :omg: I knew I wasn't the only one that loved Charlie Dominici's O3 trilogy!!!  :omg: :omg:

In all seriousness, the only one related with aliens that would fit your taste, though I don't know if you listen to the band is Evergrey's In Search for Truth.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #203 on: June 01, 2014, 09:06:18 PM »
:omg: :omg: I knew I wasn't the only one that loved Charlie Dominici's O3 trilogy!!!  :omg: :omg:

:lol I actually like what little I've heard from Dominici... which is only from When Dream and Day Unite. :lol

In all seriousness, the only one related with aliens that would fit your taste, though I don't know if you listen to the band is Evergrey's In Search for Truth.

I actually haven't listened to Evergrey. I'd been meaning to check 'em out though. I think I'll check 'em out after I finish the list. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: June 01, 2014, 09:09:06 PM »
Definitely do so! They're prog metal, but not your typical prog metal stuff, and I think you'd really dig their stuff. I'd recommed starting one of the following three: In Search of Truth, The Inner Circle or Recreation Day.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: June 01, 2014, 09:13:12 PM »
Star One - Space Metal  :huh:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #206 on: June 01, 2014, 09:14:06 PM »
Definitely do so! They're prog metal, but not your typical prog metal stuff, and I think you'd really dig their stuff. I'd recommed starting one of the following three: In Search of Truth, The Inner Circle or Recreation Day.

I'm intrigued and excited already! :tup

I'll say that the band/album that I'm referring to in my hint is a band I've actually been very quiet about liking. In fact, I don't think I've actually said anything here about them. I really got into them awhile back and decided to keep 'em as a bit of a surprise for this list. :lol :metal

Star One - Space Metal  :huh:

Nope. :lol Haven't listened to them either.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: June 02, 2014, 05:23:02 AM »
2 great Nevermore albums there.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #208 on: June 02, 2014, 09:34:31 AM »
2 great Nevermore albums there.

Thanks man! :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #209 on: June 02, 2014, 10:32:08 AM »
Have never been able to get into Nevermore. Something grating to me. It's decent enough metal, but I've never found them to be very dynamic.

Just listened to some of Edge Of Thorns. Zac era Savatage just feels slightly generic to me. But I'll say this, he's a much better singer than the Possessed Barny.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol