Author Topic: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Here at the End of All Things"  (Read 46860 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "What Should We Do Today?"
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2014, 07:17:08 PM »
Awaken The Guardian?

I must admit I've only listened to APSOG a couple of times..............liked it ,didn't love it , certainly didn't dislike it.  It's one of the few albums where I just gave up on rating the individual tracks and just did an album rating (around 75- 80% which for me is very good).   

Funny you should mention Zonder.  I'm not normally a big one for finding that drummers really "speak"  to me during the listening experience but the one thing that stands out for me now is how impressed I was with Zonder's creative drumming on this disc. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2014, 08:20:24 PM »
Dayum... how was I not following this Top 50?  Some great albums fired off, some I never got into, and some that are kinda 'meh' in my books (Arch-Matheos), but no time to read through 5 pages of comments.  Nice to see the Rush love for CA... that's a Top 5 Rush album, which is impressive given it's like their 400th album.  I too prefer Mercy Falls, and JJ... go listen to some Seventh Wonder ffs!

Scrop, you're dead to me for not smileing all over Rush.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2014, 09:46:58 PM »
Dayum... how was I not following this Top 50?  Some great albums fired off, some I never got into, and some that are kinda 'meh' in my books (Arch-Matheos), but no time to read through 5 pages of comments.  Nice to see the Rush love for CA... that's a Top 5 Rush album, which is impressive given it's like their 400th album.  I too prefer Mercy Falls, and JJ... go listen to some Seventh Wonder ffs!

Scrop, you're dead to me for not smileing all over Rush.

Glad to see you here, jingle! :tup

Awaken The Guardian?

Perhaps. Perhaps not. It could be any of the three John Arch-era FW albums, after all. They all have their strengths! ;)

I must admit I've only listened to APSOG a couple of times..............liked it ,didn't love it , certainly didn't dislike it.  It's one of the few albums where I just gave up on rating the individual tracks and just did an album rating (around 75- 80% which for me is very good).   

Funny you should mention Zonder.  I'm not normally a big one for finding that drummers really "speak"  to me during the listening experience but the one thing that stands out for me now is how impressed I was with Zonder's creative drumming on this disc. 

Keep listening to it! It's a grower if there ever was one! :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2014, 09:56:19 PM »
Awesome Fates Warning pick!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2014, 02:21:32 AM »
Never really got into FW - I got an album of their's free when I joined a legit downloading site many years ago (the one with the yellow tinged cover with a gas mask wearing bloke on the front ) I thought it was awful at the time. Admittedly it was years ago and my taste has altered a little over that time. Will give it another go.
I have listened to and enjoyed Parallels though.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Never really got into FW - I got an album of their's free when I joined a legit downloading site many years ago (the one with the yellow tinged cover with a gas mask wearing bloke on the front ) I thought it was awful at the time. Admittedly it was years ago and my taste has altered a little over that time. Will give it another go.

Disconnected. A great album, imo. But yeah, I'd definitely give FW another go. However if you dig Parallels, check that and Perfect Symmetry out first. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2014, 11:50:58 AM »

Disconnected. A great album, imo. But yeah, I'd definitely give FW another go. However if you dig Parallels, check that and Perfect Symmetry out first. :tup

When I saw the edited thread title I thuoght it was going to be the Phineas and Ferb soundtrack. My kids have brainwashed me with it!
"Hey Ferb, I know what we're gonna do today".

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »

Perfect Symmetry is more progressive. I'd direct Lowdz from Parallels right into Inside Out. It's much easier on the ears and way more accessible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »

Perfect Symmetry is more progressive. I'd direct Lowdz from Parallels right into Inside Out. It's much easier on the ears and way more accessible.

I dunno. Inside Out is more melodic, but it's also pretty moody imo. P.S. is like a precursor to Images and Words imo, so I think the more progressive aspects of that album wouldn't be very jarring.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2014, 03:34:59 PM »
I don't know if I'd characterize Inside Out as moody. APSOG is MOODY.

I think the one two punch of Parallels and Inside Out was FW's sweet spot.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2014, 04:47:44 PM »

APSoG is definitely moody.

See, that's where I have to disagree. I like Parallels fine enough, but I never really got the hype behind that album. Quite a few FW albums I like better personally.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »
Love both those updates.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2014, 04:57:45 PM »

APSoG is definitely moody.

See, that's where I have to disagree. I like Parallels fine enough, but I never really got the hype behind that album. Quite a few FW albums I like better personally.

For me, I have always found FW maddeningly inconsistent. I mean, they are all over the place musically. Some actually see it as their strength, which is probably how you view it. I just find Parallels a very focused and complete album. I feel like FW have stumbled their way through most of their albums, but with Parallels, it fires on all cylinders.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2014, 04:59:17 PM »
Parallels is by far their best album.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Re: Mister Gold's Top 50 Albums - "Spiral Path Leads Through the Maze"
« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2014, 05:32:27 PM »

10. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death (2006)

Here it is, folks. My favorite Iron Maiden album. While Seventh Son of a Seventh Son isn't far behind, I have always had a deep love for this album. It's dark, it's complex, it's loud and it's raw. This album is one of the few times I actually really liked the production that Kevin Shirley provided for an Iron Maiden album. There are so many songs on this album that I love; Different Worlds, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, For the Greater Good of God, Lord of Light and The Legacy all rank as some of my absolute favorite Maiden songs.

But more importantly though, I think what gives AMoLaD an edge is the memories I hold with this album. I have always had a passion and desire for writing. I like to tell stories and I like to picture them in my head too. The most productive point in my life thus far as a writer was the summer of 2009, when my family and I did a massive cross-country trip from Kansas to South Dakota and back, and then from Kansas to Indiana to North Carolina, before finally returning back to Kansas. I picked up this album right during the middle of this extensive trip and listened to it over and over again as I wrote my stories and gazed at the passing scenery I saw.

The album ended up being the perfect soundtrack to accompany me on that journey and definitely acted as the mental soundtrack to the scenes I pictured in my head.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2014, 05:35:51 PM »
AMOLAD is a masterpiece. Cool story too, bro.

As a lifelong Maiden fan, I am still amazed at how incredible this album is.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »
It is indeed a masetrpiece, and probably the Maiden album that took the longest to grow on me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2014, 05:48:25 PM »
Excellent album.  Not a bad track in the entire listing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #158 on: May 28, 2014, 06:04:22 PM »
It is indeed a masetrpiece, and probably the Maiden album that took the longest to grow on me.

Funnily enough, that album clicked with me pretty easily. Yet it took me five years to really understand and appreciate The X Factor. Kinda ironic, considering how similar they are to each other.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #159 on: May 28, 2014, 06:15:35 PM »

Funnily enough, that album clicked with me pretty easily. Yet it took me five years to really understand and appreciate The X Factor. Kinda ironic, considering how similar they are to each other.

OK..you just opened a can of worms. :lol

The X Factor is obviously the most polarizing Maiden album. You either love it or you hate it. I have my views which fall in the middle I guess, but your post really gave it some clarity for me.
I have always maintained that the X Factor had the impetus of being an absolute monster of an an album. But I find it has a Demo quality, not just the sound, but in the writing. Awkward transitions, unseasoned verses and choruses.

But after reading your post, it sums up what I've been trying to say about The X Factor, and it is this; AMOLAD is what The X Factor could have been.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2014, 06:22:56 PM »

And yet I liked TXF from the start.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2014, 06:36:38 PM »
Parallels is by far their best album.

My fave too but it's the one I grew up with which tends to add a lot of bias.  I do need to give some of their other stuff a lot more time.  FW are a band that I have struggled to place (in or out) of my top 50 as they are great in many ways but , even on great discs like Parallels I feel there's something missing.  It's all a bit sterile/mechanical.......hard to describe.  Anyway - the fact that they are even considered for my Top 50 says enough - I certainly rate them.

Maiden have never connected to me to anywhere near the extent of most here - I'll give this album a shot though.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2014, 06:58:19 PM »

And yet I liked TXF from the start.  :lol

I think this only adds further evidence to TAC's hypothesis!

OK..you just opened a can of worms. :lol

The X Factor is obviously the most polarizing Maiden album. You either love it or you hate it. I have my views which fall in the middle I guess, but your post really gave it some clarity for me.
I have always maintained that the X Factor had the impetus of being an absolute monster of an an album. But I find it has a Demo quality, not just the sound, but in the writing. Awkward transitions, unseasoned verses and choruses.

But after reading your post, it sums up what I've been trying to say about The X Factor, and it is this; AMOLAD is what The X Factor could have been.

I can definitely see your point there! However I do like TXF a lot too, as we all already know. :lol I find it to be a flawed masterpiece. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »
For me, its a toss up betweeen AMOLAD and BNW for my favorite reunion Maiden disc.  Fantastic album.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2014, 11:06:04 PM »
A little late but: APSOG :hefdaddy

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2014, 02:17:07 AM »
AMOLAD is the only Maiden album since SSoaSS that I ever go back to. The rest were just... boring.
I never got into XF - mainly due to BB being an awful singer. *ducks and hides* I actually prefer VXI to it.

Anyway, AMOLAD is a great album though the production leaves alot to be desired - though that's often the case with Maiden and there's really no justification for that other than SH writes a great tune but must be stone deaf.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2014, 05:12:03 PM »
AMOLAD is the only Maiden album since SSoaSS that I ever go back to. The rest were just... boring.
I never got into XF - mainly due to BB being an awful singer. *ducks and hides* I actually prefer VXI to it.

Anyway, AMOLAD is a great album though the production leaves alot to be desired - though that's often the case with Maiden and there's really no justification for that other than SH writes a great tune but must be stone deaf.

Blaze certainly isn't a great singer in technical terms, but by god, he was soulful. His dark voice really complimented the dark music on TXF, imo. :tup

Yeah, Harris really should step away from being so heavily involved in the production of Maiden albums. The production on The Final Frontier really takes away from that album, imo. However, I think that the production on AMoLaD works really well for the album.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human

9. Conception - In Your Multitude (1995)

Here it is, folks: Roy Khan's masterpiece. I only recently got into Conception, but I can't seem to really stop coming back to their albums. This band is just so addictive! That statement is especially true for In Your Multitude. Not only is Roy Khan at a peak vocally and lyrically on this album, but the band around him is incredible.

Especially guitarist Tore Ostby. This guy is a stunner if I've ever heard one: Imagine a heavier, slightly more complex Chris DeGarmo. Now imagine him with a heavy Latin and Jazz influence. That should give you an idea of how mindblowingly awesome Ostby is a guitarist. His work in his latter band (Ark) is also phenomenal and I hope to hear more from this guy at some point in the near future. The metal world is a much better place with him around.

The rhythm work on this album is also terrific; I love how the bass slithers and coils around the rest of the band on songs like "Solar Serpent" or "Carnal Comprehension" and the drum work on the whole album is great too!

As I said before, I personally feel that this is Khan's lyrical peak. While this album doesn't tell any singular story, like his Epica and Black Halo albums with Kamelot, I feel that Khan's work in Conception reveals a very interesting aspect about him; his lyrics in each of his albums appear to act as a medium to where exactly he was in his spiritual life. This carries over into Kamelot too; the story of Ariel really seems to come off more as Khan's personal search for God and an understanding of divinity. This is Roy at a darker point in his life, a younger man. I guess I like this set of lyrics the best because I think it's probably the closest to where I am in my own struggle right now.

In many ways, I think Roy Khan was the man that many prog metal fans always pictured Geoff Tate to be. A true artist. Sure, Tate certainly influenced Khan as a vocalist, but I've heard so many times about how fans from Queensryche's hey-day always saw Tate as a class act and an absolute genius. Maybe I had to have been there to get that, as my vision of the man is incredibly tainted by the man we all know him as today. On the other hand, Khan was always a man chronicling his personal journey and left the metal scene once he'd come to the end of that journey.

While it's heartbreaking for me and other fans of him, if this means that Roy Khan is in a better and happier place in his life now than when he wrote these terrific albums, then I wish him nothing but the best.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You know how highly I  rate this one  :tup     Ostby also does some nice playing on the old solo album from D C Cooper - one track in particular which unfortunately isn't on Youtube.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
You know how highly I  rate this one  :tup     Ostby also does some nice playing on the old solo album from D C Cooper - one track in particular which unfortunately isn't on Youtube.

I would not be surprised at all if this album ends up even higher on the next list I do. I just love it more and more with each repeated listen! :tup

I'll need to check out his work with DC Cooper then! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Dream Team

I just don't get AMOLAD - the worst guitar solos of any of their albums, and songs like TLD and FTGGOG have choruses and pre-choruses that repeat way too much - even for Maiden. Certainly some good stuff, but not a classic for me. No offense.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
another conception album for me to listen to.  good!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
another conception album for me to listen to.  good!

It's a terrific album! :tup Be sure to also check out Parallel Minds too! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck, another Conception!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Goddammit am I behind on this. That Arch/Matheos release is great, I love love love APSOG and AMOLAD, and that Conception album will be checked out, mainly because the description of the guitarist instantly gave me a boner.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!